New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 249500)

Woodstock 50th anniversary broadcast on WXPN

By boscokid

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by boscokid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ECOXtkCW4AAp0pG (resized).jpg
    1C5B89D4-CB78-49D6-AD60-FD5D42415EAB (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Not sure if it's widely know but the University of Pennsylvania public radio station (WXPN 88.5) is playing back the entirety of the Woodstock music festival - in order, at the actual times the songs were played.

Basically Richie Havens today at 5:07pm thru Jimi Hendrix Sunday morning at 11am including stage announcements and crowd noise. A huge undertaking, and all without commercials.

You can live stream at XPN.org , use their app, or using any radio app like TunedIn

Considering most of us were too young to be there this is the closest you will ever be to hearing what it was like

#2 1 year ago

Day 1 mostly folk - here is the schedule

Thursday, August 15
    5:07 p.m. — Richie Havens
    7:10 p.m. — Swami Satchidanadna
    7:30 p.m. — Sweetwater
    8:30 p.m. — Bert Sommer
    9:20 p.m. — Tim Hardin
    10:20 p.m. — Ravi Shankar
    11:20 p.m. — Melanie
    11:55 p.m. — Arlo Guthrie

Friday, August 16
    12:55 a.m. — Joan Baez

#3 1 year ago

Today's schedule - things really start to heat up on day 2

Friday, August 16
    12:30 p.m. — Quill
    1:20 p.m. — Country Joe McDonald
    2 p.m. — Santana
    3:30 p.m. — John B. Sebastian
    4:45 p.m. — The Keef Hartley Band
    6 p.m. — The Incredible String Band
    7:30 p.m. — Canned Heat
    9 p.m. — Mountain
    10:30 p.m. — Grateful Dead

Highlights are Santana's Latin Fusion rock where Carlos is allegedly so high on Mescaline they put him on at 2pm for fear he wouldn't be able to play later in the day. You almost need video to appreciate how dialed in this band was that day.

Canned Heat brought their version of psychedelic blues/boogie rock which turned out amazing especially considering the lead guitarist had quit the band only 1 week earlier. 'woodstock boogie' captures them pretty well - awesome video and audio quality considering it is 50 years old

#4 1 year ago

I love much of the music of Woodstock, and wish I could see this, I'll try to catch a version of this sometime.

I don't believe Richie Havens wasn't supposed to start the show, he kicked it off and played longer than planned because other groups couldn't get there through the traffic. I've read (I've not confirmed) that his song "Freedom" was improvised on stage to fill time based on some lines he had written. I had heard that Santana was that high because he didn't expect to be playing that early, interesting if he went on BECAUSE he was so high.

I borrowed/stole the original 3 LP Woodstock album from my Uncle a long time ago and have played them many, many times.

I attended Woodstock '99 which was a great experience music wise, right up until people started lighting everything on fire. And no, it wasn't the Chili Peppers fault.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rando:

And no, it wasn't the Chili Peppers fault.

People looking to blame someone usually point to Limp Bizkit, coupled with the rampant price gouging, lack of shade, and general "rock n roll concentration camp" vibe of the whole thing.

#6 1 year ago

So glad 88.5 is our local station. Listen to it all the time!

#7 1 year ago

To this day I am thankful that I was there. Here’s my story. We started hitchhiking from Tuxedo, NY. We were first picked up by what we called a redneck in a pickup truck. Since the NYS thruway was basically shut down due to the traffic, the guy who picked us up knew the area, took us thru Orange County and all the back ways. After about 45 minutes he dropped us off in the middle of nowhere. Soon after we were picked up by a guy with long blonde hair, a woman and two small children in a blue van. The guys name was Bobby Joe and he was a Pagan Soul ( motorcycle club). Inside the van were tons of ammunition and guns. Apparently the Pagan Souls we’re hired as security as well as many other groups (NYC off duty cops, etc). After driving for a few miles, they would stop and meet up with other Pagan Sous who knew the only way to Bethel was through Orange and Sullivan counties.
    When we were a few miles from Bethel, we stopped at a local (very local) type diner/ country store. We all got out for a small bite to eat. Bobby Joe was a great guy and very accommodating (picked up the check). The gal went into the bathroom and was in there for quite a long while and we were like wth is going on. After about a half hour, the gal comes out with her hair long and flowing with beads and flowers in her hair. So we asked BJ what’s going on. It turns out she was Janis Joplin’s “sidekick” who travels with Janis. They were taking her to the site to meet up with Janis. At that point since we were close, they took out their official Woodstock tags which they put around their necks. We then traveled to site where all the helicopters were picking up the acts to take them to the stage. We asked if they could get us in for free and but they couldn’t. It didn’t matter because at that point everything was free. Well that was the beginning of a great trip to Woodstock.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

To this day I am thankful that I was there. Here’s my story. We started hitchhiking from Tuxedo, NY. We were first picked up by what we called a redneck in a pickup truck. Since the NYS thruway was basically shut down due to the traffic, the guy who picked us up knew the area, took us thru Orange County and all the back ways. After about 45 minutes he dropped us off in the middle of nowhere. Soon after we were picked up by a guy with long blonde hair, a woman and two small children in a blue van. The guys name was Bobby Joe and he was a Pagan Soul ( motorcycle club). Inside the van were tons of ammunition and guns. Apparently the Pagan Souls we’re hired as security as well as many other groups (NYC off duty cops, etc). After driving for a few miles, they would stop and meet up with other Pagan Sous who knew the only way to Bethel was through Orange and Sullivan counties.
    When we were a few miles from Bethel, we stopped at a local (very local) type diner/ country store. We all got out for a small bite to eat. Bobby Joe was a great guy and very accommodating (picked up the check). The gal went into the bathroom and was in there for quite a long while and we were like wth is going on. After about a half hour, the gal comes out with her hair long and flowing with beads and flowers in her hair. So we asked BJ what’s going on. It turns out she was Janis Joplin’s “sidekick” who travels with Janis. They were taking her to the site to meet up with Janis. At that point since we were close, they took out their official Woodstock tags which they put around their necks. We then traveled to site where all the helicopters were picking up the acts to take them to the stage. We asked if they could get us in for free and but they couldn’t. It didn’t matter because at that point everything was free. Well that was the beginning of a great trip to Woodstock.

An "I went to Woodstock" story without any actual details of Woodstock?

Continue!

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

An "I went to Woodstock" story without any actual details of Woodstock?
    Continue!

What got me the most was the amount of people that were there. The “crowd” at the actual site was one thing, but the amount of people walking in all directions for miles from the stage area was staggering. Way way way more people on the roads and countryside than the hill area. Pot was everywhere, any drug for that matter. Everyone felt like your best friend. Hungry, tired, wet but you just didn’t give a shit.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Hungry, tired, wet but you just didn’t give a shit.

I would love trivial details.

Like where did you sleep? In the broadcast you can hear stage announcements like 'the woods are full, just lie down where you are' They were that full? How far away were people camped? 500 yards? a mile? further?

What did you eat? If you hitchhiked in you could not have been carrying much. Was food for sale or did you rely on kindness of others? Water?

What was the ratio of guys/girls? Ratio of stoned/sober? Prevalence of non-pot drug use?

How many of the bands did you actually see? Almost impossible to imagine people still awake Sunday at 11am when bands played all night Friday and Saturday

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Almost impossible to imagine people still awake Sunday at 11am when bands played all night Friday and Saturday

Speed freaks....

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

I would love trivial details.
    Like where did you sleep? In the broadcast you can hear stage announcements like 'the woods are full, just lie down where you are' They were that full? How far away were people camped? 500 yards? a mile? further?
    What did you eat? If you hitchhiked in you could not have been carrying much. Was food for sale or did you rely on kindness of others? Water?
    What was the ratio of guys/girls? Ratio of stoned/sober? Prevalence of non-pot drug use?
    How many of the bands did you actually see? Almost impossible to imagine people still awake Sunday at 11am when bands played all night Friday and Saturday

I was 17 (plus 2 other guys)and went with nothing, who knew? I think we were up for 21 hours each day. When we slept it was wherever we could find someplace grassy and being in the country/woods, it was everywhere. Yes, with all the people outside the actual site, people were sleeping, resting, camping all over the place. Yes, at least a mile away. We ate from neighbors handing out free food, like you say kindness of others and whomever had anything to share. I remember being hungry but certainly manageable. Never paid for anything. Water was never a problem. We would go down to any number of lakes to wash off. First time I saw so many nude bathers. Way more boys than girls. Seriously, I think everyone was high on something. We got up to the site but it was so packed, we stayed on the outskirts to listen to the music. Wherever you were it was a trip/experience. Nobody ever experienced anything like it so you just kind of went with the flow and enjoyed yourself. I do remember when leaving, all 3 of us fell asleep on the trunk of some ones car as they crawled to get back to the main roads. It was the best sleep I had in 3 days. I can’t remember what I did yesterday, but memories of Woodstock are still pretty vivid.

#13 1 year ago

Lost Peter Fonda today.

1C5B89D4-CB78-49D6-AD60-FD5D42415EAB (resized).jpeg
    #14 1 year ago

Another day, another lineup of legendary bands

12:30 a.m. — Creedence Clearwater Revival
    2 a.m. — Janis Joplin
    3:30 a.m. — Sly & The Family Stone
    5 a.m. — The Who
    8 a.m. — Jefferson Airplane
    2 p.m. — Joe Cocker
    6:30 p.m. — Country Joe & The Fish
    8:15 p.m. — Ten Years After
    10 p.m. — The Band

Hard to pick a highlight without selected 20 songs from this day, so I'm picking just one from Sly & the Family Stone

#15 1 year ago

Sadly I failed in my attempt to listen to the entire show and snored through The Who and first half of Jefferson Airplane's set.

Music picks up again at 2 where Joe Cocker will provide his iconic version of this familiar tune

#16 1 year ago

Again the need for sleep caused me to miss some of the show. I tried setting my alarm for 3am and still missed CSN's acoustic set as well as all of Johnny Winter and Blood, Sweat & Tears

Still some huge names still left to play, on what would've been Monday morning:

12 a.m. — Johnny Winter
    1:30 a.m. — Blood, Sweat & Tears
    3 a.m. — Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    6 a.m. — The Butterfield Blues Band
    7:30 a.m. — Sha Na Na
    9 a.m. — Jimi Hendrix

Today's highlight is Hendrix - who, by contract, could only be the last act to perform the festival. Lets see how he does with The Star-Spangled Banner (hint - a better version might not exist)

Also feels like this relatively unknown guy should get some credit ITT. I guess he was responsible for the stage and lighting, you can hear him on tape all throughout the concert making announcements and performing 'crowd control' for 400,000 using nothing but 'Please' and "Thank You".

Chip Monck

ECOXtkCW4AAp0pG (resized).jpg
    11 months later
    #17 81 days ago

WXPN is re-running last years Woodstock programming this week - the biggest difference being they are not sticking to the actual times or order so all the music will be broadcast between 6am-10pm and the acts may not be in sequential order.

Stream can be found here:

https://xpn.org/

Schedule here:

Monday, August 10th
    9 a.m. – Richie Havens
    11 a.m. – Joan Baez
    12:55 p.m. – Tim Hardin
    4 p.m. – Santana
    8 p.m. – Grateful Dead
    9:20 p.m. – Canned Heat

Tuesday, August 11th
    8:30 a.m. – Janis Joplin
    12 p.m. – The Band
    1:30 p.m. – John Sebastian
    4:30 p.m. – The Who
    10 p.m. – Ravi Shankar

Wednesday, August 12th
    7 a.m. – Melanie
    12 p.m. – Arlo Guthrie
    6 p.m. – Creedence Clearwater Revival
    8 p.m. – The Butterfield Blues Band
    9:15 p.m. – The Incredible String Band

Thursday, August 13th
    8:45 a.m. – CSNY
    11 a.m. – Blood Sweat & Tears
    12:30 p.m. – Mountain
    4:30 p.m. – Johnny Winter
    10 p.m. – Bert Sommer

Friday, August 14th
    6 a.m. – Jefferson Airplane
    12 p.m. – Joe Cocker
    6 p.m. – Sly & the Family Stone

Saturday, August 15th
    10 a.m. – Swami / Sha Na Na
    11 a.m. – Sweetwater
    12 p.m. – Quill
    1 p.m. – Country Joe McDonald
    2 p.m. – Keef Hartley Band
    3 p.m. – Country Joe & The Fish
    4 p.m. – Ten Years After

Sunday, August 16th
    1 p.m.: Jimi Hendrix

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Arizona Pinball
    $ 249.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 7,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 14.95
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside