(Topic ID: 144403)

Woodrails, tell me about them...let's see them!

By 5280wzrd

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ZNET
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wisconsin_pinball-1024_(resized).jpg
wisconsin_1948_(resized).jpg
Miss_Annabelle_(resized).JPG
alibaba_(resized).jpg
20151207_193309.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_17.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_15.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_14.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_13.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_12.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_11.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_10.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_9.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_8.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_7.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_6.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 8 years ago

Here's a few of my favorite woodrails:
20150909_222536.jpg20150909_222536.jpg
20150909_222314.jpg20150909_222314.jpg
20150517_153035.jpg20150517_153035.jpg
2012-08-28_20-25-43_841 copy.jpg2012-08-28_20-25-43_841 copy.jpg

#62 8 years ago

Agreed. The Guys Dolls experimental "flipper alternative post" idea was an abysmal failure. Multiple gobble hole games, like Quintette, can indeed be frustrating. For me, Queen of Hearts is the most successful multiple gobble hole game because the rules integrate the gobble hole objective so well, far better than any other multiple gobble hole game. The Queen of Hearts player really wants to sink the ball into a particular hole and the reward for doing so is satisfying. I feel the same way about Niagara, as a trap hole game. It certainly doesn't hurt that Queen of Hearts and Niagara both have first-class art packages. Niagara also has backglass animation. Thanks for posting the two videos.

Quoted from OTTOgd:

I haven't had huge exposure to woodrails but have owned a few that popped up online for a decent price. Important to own two at the very least, imho.
That said, I have done my IPDB research and played a bunch of virtual tables on my computer via Future Pinball (www.futurepinball.com), especially from IRPinball (www.irpinball.org). Visual Pinball is also a great source (www.vpforums.org). Not the same experience, obviously, but does provide a sense of ball flow and narrows down pins to keep my eyes out for.
Owned a '53 Gottlieb Quintette for a couple years and it was gorgeous and had several objectives, which was great, but the five gobble holes were too frustrating. Good game but not fun. Nerve-wracking.
'53 Gottlieb Guys Dolls was just terrible. The "Six High Powered Pop-up Posts" were silly. That left quickly.
For a couple years, I was overly excited to own a '58 Gottlieb Rocket Ship but disappointed with ownership. Nifty, great looking game but found it catered more to the Operator than the Player. The lower half of the playfield should just be avoided, especially that tempting but SDTM roto-target. Glad I experienced it, nonetheless.
I fairly recently picked up a '59 Gottlieb Straight Shooter that was far from home, after paying for the game 6 months previously. Needed a LOT of fixing up to play properly. Got it done! Tough game! Not easy to align (and keep aligned for 100,000's) those yellow, purple and white lights, darnit! Haven't played it enough to be certain it's a 'keeper' yet. Will make a gameplay video soon.
'49 Gottlieb K. C. Jones is a keeper! What a game!
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

2 months later
#105 8 years ago

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrails-tell-me-about-them?tu=znet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.