(Topic ID: 144403)

Woodrails, tell me about them...let's see them!

By 5280wzrd

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 105 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ZNET
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 44 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wisconsin_pinball-1024_(resized).jpg
wisconsin_1948_(resized).jpg
Miss_Annabelle_(resized).JPG
alibaba_(resized).jpg
20151207_193309.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_17.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_15.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_14.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_13.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_12.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_11.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_10.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_9.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_8.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_7.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_6.jpg

There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Frontiersman" is one of the best.

For me it has set the standard as far as any single player Gottlieb I've played is concerned. It has raised the bar so to speak.

#52 4 years ago

Do you rate it as a better player than "Queen of Hearts"? BTW, in reference to your avatar image, I have a question. What does the buffalo stand for on the back of the nickel?

#53 4 years ago

I liked Queen of Hearts and would get one but to me it was still not quite the player Frontiersman is. For some that have not played it you really have to to get it.

I read that the Indian Head Nickel with the Buffalo on the rear came about as an attempt to beautify the five cent piece which it did.

#54 4 years ago

This wood be a good start.
image3.JPG

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

What does the buffalo stand for on the back of the nickel?

Answer: There isn't enough room to sit!

#56 4 years ago

That's funny!

#57 4 years ago

Dude, you rock!

#58 4 years ago

I wonder if anybody noticed that EM Mata Hari sitting behind that bunch of woodys. I know...no big deal.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder if anybody noticed

That NAGS would be the one that i would be after.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Yup. Me, too.

#61 4 years ago

I haven't had huge exposure to woodrails but have owned a few that popped up online for a decent price. Important to own two at the very least, imho.

That said, I have done my IPDB research and played a bunch of virtual tables on my computer via Future Pinball (www.futurepinball.com), especially from IRPinball (www.irpinball.org). Visual Pinball is also a great source (www.vpforums.org). Not the same experience, obviously, but does provide a sense of ball flow and narrows down pins to keep my eyes out for.

Owned a '53 Gottlieb Quintette for a couple years and it was gorgeous and had several objectives, which was great, but the five gobble holes were too frustrating. Good game but not fun. Nerve-wracking.

'53 Gottlieb Guys Dolls was just terrible. The "Six High Powered Pop-up Posts" were silly. That left quickly.

For a couple years, I was overly excited to own a '58 Gottlieb Rocket Ship but disappointed with ownership. Nifty, great looking game but found it catered more to the Operator than the Player. The lower half of the playfield should just be avoided, especially that tempting but SDTM roto-target. Glad I experienced it, nonetheless.

I fairly recently picked up a '59 Gottlieb Straight Shooter that was far from home, after paying for the game 6 months previously. Needed a LOT of fixing up to play properly. Got it done! Tough game! Not easy to align (and keep aligned for 100,000's) those yellow, purple and white lights, darnit! Haven't played it enough to be certain it's a 'keeper' yet. Will make a gameplay video soon.

'49 Gottlieb K. C. Jones is a keeper! What a game!

#62 4 years ago

Agreed. The Guys Dolls experimental "flipper alternative post" idea was an abysmal failure. Multiple gobble hole games, like Quintette, can indeed be frustrating. For me, Queen of Hearts is the most successful multiple gobble hole game because the rules integrate the gobble hole objective so well, far better than any other multiple gobble hole game. The Queen of Hearts player really wants to sink the ball into a particular hole and the reward for doing so is satisfying. I feel the same way about Niagara, as a trap hole game. It certainly doesn't hurt that Queen of Hearts and Niagara both have first-class art packages. Niagara also has backglass animation. Thanks for posting the two videos.

Quoted from OTTOgd:

I haven't had huge exposure to woodrails but have owned a few that popped up online for a decent price. Important to own two at the very least, imho.
That said, I have done my IPDB research and played a bunch of virtual tables on my computer via Future Pinball (www.futurepinball.com), especially from IRPinball (www.irpinball.org). Visual Pinball is also a great source (www.vpforums.org). Not the same experience, obviously, but does provide a sense of ball flow and narrows down pins to keep my eyes out for.
Owned a '53 Gottlieb Quintette for a couple years and it was gorgeous and had several objectives, which was great, but the five gobble holes were too frustrating. Good game but not fun. Nerve-wracking.
'53 Gottlieb Guys Dolls was just terrible. The "Six High Powered Pop-up Posts" were silly. That left quickly.
For a couple years, I was overly excited to own a '58 Gottlieb Rocket Ship but disappointed with ownership. Nifty, great looking game but found it catered more to the Operator than the Player. The lower half of the playfield should just be avoided, especially that tempting but SDTM roto-target. Glad I experienced it, nonetheless.
I fairly recently picked up a '59 Gottlieb Straight Shooter that was far from home, after paying for the game 6 months previously. Needed a LOT of fixing up to play properly. Got it done! Tough game! Not easy to align (and keep aligned for 100,000's) those yellow, purple and white lights, darnit! Haven't played it enough to be certain it's a 'keeper' yet. Will make a gameplay video soon.
'49 Gottlieb K. C. Jones is a keeper! What a game!
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

#63 4 years ago

Thanks for the videos. Thank you all for your input. The search is on! I think I would like a flipper game and at least one gobble hole.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

at least one gobble hole.

+1

#65 4 years ago

Gobble holes are great when they turn from enemy into best friend!

Take Sluggin Champ. 1955. 2 gobble holes. Once you have collected all the teams from the leagues one lights for extra special and gives 6 replays - now you really want ball to go down the gobble hole!

Another great feature of this game and probably explains why every Sluggin playfield is worn, is the RBI feature ( runs batted in ). Because they increase each ball, the last ball of the game can be frantic.

Every time you hit the target with ball 5, 5 RBI's are scored, and 5 big bongs of the 5 inch bell!

It is possible to hit 30 or 40 RBI's with the last ball.

No wonder Raphael Lankar in Paris says it was one of his highest earners on location.

#66 4 years ago

I have had 33 woodrails over the years, and have let some of the great ones leave the collection. I currently have six up and running. One game that has not been mentioned is Gottlieb Arabian Knights ('53). It is a brutal gobble hole game, but one of the most addictive I have owned. I have become partial to the Williams lineup also. Nags is sensational, and I currently have my second Gusher and second Sea Wolf. One I wouldn't mind finding again is Spot Pool (1959). Extremely fast, with the Williams version of the roto target featured. I started playing pinball on woodies in the mid 1950's and although I love most of the post 1990 games, the artwork and gameplay difficulty of woodrails will always be my first priority.
Harry Irvin

#67 4 years ago

New to me, '55 Sluggin Champ is clearly a beauty (not so much the Deluxe) and looks like an excellent game.

Lighting the team flags on the backglass and off your playfield is sweet. Great for spectators too. Really narrow shot to get back up and use the pop bumpers to get Philly or Baltimore but looks possible. Darn slingshots are aimed for the gobble holes though. Would love to hear the RBI dongs. Game must have been a real attention-getter, not unlike High Speed, bitd.

A little heavy on ball launch since, if you were interested in getting ALL the teams along with the 'Extra Special', you HAVE to get Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit and St.Louis. 4 shots with 5 balls. They're not on the lower playfield like Boston and Brooklyn. Picking to go National or American League would be a safer strategy.

Thanks for bringing SC up; would love to play a few innings with it!

Great flyer too! Va Va Voom!

image-22.jpg

Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Gobble holes are great when they turn from enemy into best friend!
Take Sluggin Champ. 1955. 2 gobble holes. Once you have collected all the teams from the leagues one lights for extra special and gives 6 replays - now you really want ball to go down the gobble hole!
Another great feature of this game and probably explains why every Sluggin playfield is worn, is the RBI feature ( runs batted in ). Because they increase each ball, the last ball of the game can be frantic.
Every time you hit the target with ball 5, 5 RBI's are scored, and 5 big bongs of the 5 inch bell!
It is possible to hit 30 or 40 RBI's with the last ball.
No wonder Raphael Lankar in Paris says it was one of his highest earners on location.

#68 4 years ago

My standard Sluggin' Champ is a great game IMHO. Especially if you enjoy the baseball theme and having the Brooklyn Dodgers in the line up for the National League. In addition, Milwaukee was the Braves not the Brewers at that time. I love baseball back in the 50's and 60's.

A real fun challenge to get each team in both leagues lit on the BG by the roll-overs work and having the lighting up of both gobble holes for 500,000 Extra Special with the bells a ringing loud. I am not a gobble hole fan, typically (i.e. Fair Lady), but Sluggin Champ's gobble holes (in-line vertical) are like the whip creamed dessert after Thanksgiving dinner.....gobble gobble!!

Find one with a decent playfield and it is a keeper, IMHO. Not sure about the Deluxe version....

#69 4 years ago

Please post pictures of you woodrails.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But one I've never seen mentioned here that I couldn't stop playing was Poker Face. I was hoping to load it into the back of my truck but now it is his favorite too, so I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon.
DSCN3917.JPG
DSCN3913.jpg

That Poker Face look very interesting.

#71 4 years ago

To me, the Gtb. woodies represent the pinnacle of the EM Pinball experience. Since flipper inception in '47, the early to mid '50's designs, offering completely different playfields game-to-game, incorporating several different special sequences per game, gave a challenge like very few since. It's like the design teams had no restraints, yielding very high ingenuity products. The pinball concept was probably just cashing in on what was a new, fascinating amusement at that time, just like video games did in the '70's.

With the '60's probably came an intention to increase ball time by removing drop-trap holes justifying a price-per-play increase. Another possible presence, (sadly), is what appears to be cost-aligning measures with drop hole removal, (and their relative hardware), along with adding repetitive accessories like spin-rotos, return lanes, etc, and fewer bonus sequences, all decreasing design team efforts. I guess upper management felt backglass animation, (not cost effective), was still a good idea for product attraction.

Even that was gone by the '70's, along with the presence of less playfield obstacles compensating the larger, stronger 3" flips, and other cost-cutting requirements. Just like any other industry, once revenue strategies are extended, all eyes are on the product overhead.

Obviously this is just my personal speculation, and why I have such regard for the early 50's woodrails. There are of course, several good games since, but the mere playfield layout variety and multiple special sequences makes me think management during the early '50's told the design team, "Lets see how good we can make it!"

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

After Steeple Chase and Sea Wolf if there is any money left over, sure, why not.

#73 4 years ago

David Gottlieb ......'there's no substitute for quality'.

He was very inventive on what he does, and would always try to make the games “more fun”. He was an ambitious character, quoted from his grandson Michael Gottlieb, “He wanted to be the Cadillac of pinball machines” He valued quality so it was described that David Gottlieb would use better quality walnut and more expensive metal to make his pinball machines

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Please post pictures of you woodrails.

Okay.

jslit.jpg

Someone may eventually pry Jig Saw out of my cold dead hands. It will be here until then.

I'm not terribly fond of gobble holes. Jig Saw's single gobble hole is fairly well protected - a plus.

ws43.jpg

The nudgy is a different critter alright. Here's an article about playing it: http://archive.ipdb.org/russjensen/7up.htm

Here's a video of one:

It's a challenging game with a surprisingly deep ruleset. I find it fun to play. I also find it a real challenge to repair as prewar Genco schematics simply do not exist. It probably gets the most visitor comments and questions out of all the games here. Usually fascinated comment about relic appearance followed by mystified question: "What happened to the flippers?"

Just brought home a 1952 Williams Four Corners. Still in the car not unloaded yet. Pix of others here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=931&picno=6555&zoom=1 Kind of a bizarre contraption. Flippers - check. Bumpers - check. Bingo holes - what the heck, throw some in too. I do know it will look pretty neat alongside WS43.

#75 4 years ago

#6.JPG
IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG

#76 4 years ago

IMG_0376.jpg

Charming young lady with old car - pretty cool. Planes and trains on the box - they have their charm too.

Playing a little bingo without actually having to have a bingo machine - really cool.

edit: Playfield shot.

IMG_0380.jpg

Is this a contraption or what?

#77 4 years ago

That's beautiful.

#78 4 years ago

Part 1 of 2: This is my 1937 Bally Prospector for my place "one day" in Telluride.....

1937_Bally_Prospector_1.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_2.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_3.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_4.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_5.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_6.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_7.jpg
1937_Bally_Prospector_8.jpg

The smallest ball is the ball for this game. The largest ball is from modern day.

#79 4 years ago

Part 2 of 2 Pre World War II

1937_Bally_Prospector_9.jpg

1937_Bally_Prospector_10.jpg

1937_Bally_Prospector_11.jpg

1937_Bally_Prospector_12.jpg

1937_Bally_Prospector_13.jpg

1937_Bally_Prospector_14.jpg

1937_Bally_Prospector_15.jpg

#80 4 years ago

That's cool. What are the battery voltages?

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

That's cool. What are the battery voltages?

I was hesitant to show this one because I have had it for near a decade and just took a look at it closer for this thread. I was hoping one of you guys/gals on pinside would know more, but I haven't had the time to get into it here on Pinside. I just admire the artwork for the time being. It is a two amp fuse as its shown on the wiring diagram. With Ohms Law: V=iR. If I can figure Resistance, R, I would have a good idea of the Voltage required. More research......

Pinball was always super cool. One of America's best inventions!! I wonder if Tesla ever played?

#82 4 years ago

I think the Eveready No. 6 dry cell batteries were 1.5V.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Here's a video of one:

I've been quietly enjoying this thread. Haven't had a chance to play a woody yet, but there's time.

The linked video sent me down the rabbit hole, and I now know the following thoroughly off topic facts:

7up used to contain mood stabilizing lithium citrate. And, at one time, you could get Coca Cola syrup mixed with litiha water.

Whoah! Hangover cure there for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_citrate

Sorry for the diversion.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I think the Eveready No. 6 dry cell batteries were 1.5V.

That would make sense for four 1.5 volt batteries to be a total of a 6-volt system with a 2-amp fuse.

This pin must be why pinball is named Pinball. It could have been named Nailball....

1937_Bally_Prospector_17.jpg

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

This pin must be why pinball is named Pinball. It could have been named Nailball....

Actually, the term pre-dates that game by a couple years:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-birth-of-pinball

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Actually, the term pre-dates that game by a couple years:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-birth-of-pinball

Great article and research. Thanks for the education. LMK when you get to Phoenix and I will buy you lunch for the schooling. Its getting nice this time of year.....

1 week later
#87 4 years ago

My best score yet. Lit the "special " too!20151207_193309.jpg

#88 4 years ago

Are you guys seeing woodies up for sale near you? Still on the hunt.

3 weeks later
#89 4 years ago

Every so often.

I'd like to find an original painted coin door for this Ali-Baba if anybody has one laying around. Thanks!

alibaba_(resized).jpg

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'd like to find an original painted coin door for this Ali-Baba if anybody has one laying around.

That's probably a subject for its own thread. I know I have several mis-matched doors, and I bet if we all posted them we could make some matches.

No one's mentioned Diamond Lill which is one of my favorite games. It has reverse flippers, but they make complete sense given the playfield layout.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Every so often.
I'd like to find an original painted coin door for this Ali-Baba if anybody has one laying around. Thanks!

Yeah, I wonder if some guy with an Olde King Cole has your Ali-Baba door?

#92 4 years ago

Old King Cole was a merry old soul...

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

That's probably a subject for its own thread. I know I have several mis-matched doors, and I bet if we all posted them we could make some matches.
No one's mentioned Diamond Lill which is one of my favorite games. It has reverse flippers, but they make complete sense given the playfield layout.

Diamond Lill is an awesome game with possibly best light show ever in an em.

If I could get mine working properly I could comment more on the gameplay.

Completely unique though - nothing else like it. And tough.

#94 4 years ago

Miss Annabelle, my only woodrail. A lot of people love playing it because it's not intimidating. Simply pinball. Pic is before the new fan plastic arrived.

Miss_Annabelle_(resized).JPG

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Diamond Lill is an awesome game with possibly best light show ever in an em.
If I could get mine working properly I could comment more on the gameplay.
Completely unique though - nothing else like it. And tough.

Yeah, it'll drive you crazy. Even the YouTube video that's out there shows a machine that's not working correctly. The problem with mine is that every single rivet and every switch was badly worn. I've never seen a machine with that much wear on it. I'm constantly repairing it, and I've never gotten that "Double" feature working right (although I'm not sure I understand what it's supposed to do--maybe I'm making it more complicated than it really is)

It's not just the light show, the noise it makes when you light all the jewels and then they reset is so satisfying. All those relays tripping in sequence and then resetting keeps me doing whatever it takes to keep mine running.

(As long as we're talking, if anyone has an Ace High they want to sell please drop me a message)

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

Yeah, it'll drive you crazy. Even the YouTube video that's out there shows a machine that's not working correctly. The problem with mine is that every single rivet and every switch was badly worn. I've never seen a machine with that much wear on it. I'm constantly repairing it, and I've never gotten that "Double" feature working right (although I'm not sure I understand what it's supposed to do--maybe I'm making it more complicated than it really is)
It's not just the light show, the noise it makes when you light all the jewels and then they reset is so satisfying. All those relays tripping in sequence and then resetting keeps me doing whatever it takes to keep mine running.
(As long as we're talking, if anyone has an Ace High they want to sell please drop me a message)

Funny you should say that as of all my woodrails, I can see looking at certain parts that this game has had the most play of my games.

My double feature works fine. Press start button once to start game. Press twice to light double light in backglass. Now, as you win replays you get double the amount.

My issue that I have been working on for months is that the 7 rollovers should score 100000 points ( and a single point ). Mine will score either 50000, 100000, 0r 150000. Score motor turns one third, two thirds or full turn ( should be 2 all the time ).

Think issue might somehow be in the score motor. One day......

#97 4 years ago

I have a 1948 United "Wisconsin" with flippers toward the top of the playfield. It is a unique machine, called a "Roll-Out" design. Notice the secondary glass top at the top of the playfield.

When you play, instead of a shooter, it has a trough and lever that pushes the ball onto the outside of the game. You pick up the ball and roll it across the top glass, which then drops down onto the playfield.

Apparently, back in the late 40's, the Wisconsin gaming lawmakers felt that having a spring loaded shooter makes the machine a game of chance, rendering it into the gambling device list. By allowing the player to guide the ball onto the playfield, it becomes a game of skill, which is not considered gambling.

It's amazing to think that these "lawmakers" could actually breathe on their own....

1948 United Wisconsin

Closeup details:
wisconsin_pinball-1024_(resized).jpg

#98 4 years ago

Love that Wisconsin pin!

#99 4 years ago

That is so cool!!

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from ramegoom:

I have a 1948 United "Wisconsin" with flippers toward the top of the playfield.

Looks fun

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 334.95
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 6.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 109.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 105 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside