You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

schem-abbr1 (resized).jpg
schem-abbr2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi,

I just got my schematic for my 1951 Williams Horse Shoes woodrail. Looking at the schematic I am seeing abbreviations that I have not seen before. Below is what I am seeing....

"owe on Flipper Coil" - the schematic shows a closed switch
"cwe on #5 Bumper Re" - the schematic shows an open switch
"cwi on Shuffle" - the schematic shows an open switch

I am thinking that, these are totally a guess...
"owe" means - open when/while energized
"cwe" means - closed when/while energized
"cwi" means - I have no clue??

Does anyone have a "Legend" of some sort that describes the abbreviations I am seeing?

Any thoughts/suggestion?

Thank You
Steve

schem-abbr1 (resized).jpgschem-abbr1 (resized).jpgschem-abbr2 (resized).jpgschem-abbr2 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

I found this...

"The symbols used on schematic diagrams for the various types of switches discussed above were shown in Figure 1, which was with Part 1 of this series of articles. Schematics often used abbreviated terminology such as NO, SPDT, etc. mentioned earlier. Often the abbreviations 'OWE' (open when energized) and 'CWE' (closed when energized) were used next to switch symbols This was normally used when a switch was operated by a solenoid coil, 'energized' referring to the condition where that coil had current applied to it The terms 'OWI' (open when in) and "CWF (closed when in) were used to refer to switches operated by the movable 'shuffle panel.' found on older games, which moves 'in' when the coin chute was pushed in at the start of a new game."

...at this site http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/russ_files/trouble51.html

Maybe there's more at the site, I didn't read the whole thing but OWI (open when in) so maybe CWI is closed when in. Henry

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

"CWF (closed when in) were used to refer to switches operated by the movable 'shuffle panel.'

And is CWF a typo that really should be CWI - just what you're looking for1

#4 2 years ago

Thank you Henry, just what I was looking for. I will read that link you posted.

Thanks again
Steve

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-schematic-abbreviations-1951-williams-horseshoes?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.