Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160105_104758.jpg
20160105_104803.jpg
20160105_104811.jpg
20160105_103940.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Anyone ever tried flattening a Gottlieb backglass animation wheel. I've had great success doing playfield plastics but I'm wary of messing with it since there are no repros available. The wheel is actually two parts, both plastic. The frame which holds the animation is also warped and the two are held together with rivets. The game is Sunshine...20160105_103940.jpg20160105_103940.jpg20160105_104811.jpg20160105_104811.jpg20160105_104803.jpg20160105_104803.jpg

20160105_104758.jpg20160105_104758.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Wow, cud you have found a tougher one to work with?
I notice the number wheel has shrunk the most, and taken the brown wheel with it. to flatten that, will prob take the outer ring of rivets out of the number ring. not sure, but looks like they are almost out anyway.
You will need to make a jig to lay that on, and one to lay on top as any edge will imprint in the number wheel.
You may be able to remove the rivets, flatten, then drill and re rivet ? then you cud press the number wheel between two flat heavys, that would ix the number wheel.
The brown one would be more forgiving once separated.
Also, the brown one wud take more heat to flatten...if it did.
the number wheel cud be scanned and reproduced pretty easy.

#3 8 years ago

Pinball Rescue has made a few animation wheels but nothing yet for Sunshine. They seem pretty receptive to requests from what I understand. You should check to se if they could do a run.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Animation%20Plastics.html

#4 8 years ago

Pinball rescue said they can't do it...something to do with the process they use won't work for them...

#5 8 years ago

Pre-1960 plastics basically don't flatten. The plastic material changed right around then and will flatten with heat. The older style plastics tend to curl up and become brittle (and don't budge with heat), while the newer style develop more of a 'wave' to them. Those are the ones that will flatten. 1960 seems to be the crossover point, so I would be doubtful of any luck with that one, since it appears to have shrunk (and taken the disc with it).

A new one could probably be fabricated with a piece of Lexan and some waterslide decals, and the wiper disc may flatten out, since it's being held hostage by the shrunk plastic. The rivets could be replaced with small bolts/nuts if didn't want to mess with rivets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-plastic-animation-wheels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.