20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

1956 Gottlieb Classy Bowler Fully Shopped. New Pop Bumpers and Flippers Rebuilt. Bumper caps are original and still have the original bodies set aside. Backglass touched up and sealed. Half a dozen broken wires from old solder joints,replaced some light sockets, needed 6 coils and had a couple feedback shorts from them I had to track down but getting closer to that 100% working status. Waiting for the last round of parts. Super fun nudgers delight game.

Looks terrific Ken-congrats

10 months later
#433 7 years ago

An amazing array of machines & other gear. Do you have any info on the origin of the apparent collection?

3 weeks later
#454 6 years ago

Thks for sharing such an interesting vid & wow what a fab collection in a beautiful gameroom setting.

11 months later
#521 6 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Can anyone give me advice how to create a stencil, or finding a stencil to recreate the paint job?

Conscious that your original post was some weeks back but thought I would share my approach. That is to take a tracing paper take of the original on the cab & then transfer it to MDF board using a jigsaw for cutout. I have found this to be the cheapest, quickest & best method for obtaining the stencil 'bleed' per original paint. This is a set of stencils I recently made to repaint a GTB Flying Carpet. Cab & backbox sides are mirror reserve so only one stencil needed of each colour.

canon02012018 002 (resized).JPGcanon02012018 002 (resized).JPG

canon02012018 003 (resized).JPGcanon02012018 003 (resized).JPG

#535 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

I assume these are 1/8 MDF like dr_nybble mentioned? Just crurious how you placed stencils for slight bleed (and I know there are other threads on painting, just since you mentioned it...) did you lay cabinet over and set stencils? Or just hold close in one hand and spray with other??

No I use 6mm MDF because for me it provides improved rigidity & I find anything thinner tends not to give as good jigsaw cuts. The rigidity also assists to ensure there is an even bleed. I use anything handy to hold down the MDF stencil per pic below.

canon31122017 004 (resized).JPGcanon31122017 004 (resized).JPG

#541 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Cool. Thanks for the pic. Didn't realize you actually clamped it down even! I believe 6mm would be close to 1/4 inch for me. Makes sense what you are saying about being a bit more rigid for cutting. I appreciate the extra insight.

The clamping on the perimeter mainly is probably not absolutely necessary but I do it mainly to prevent stencil movement from an 'accidental bump'-'if it can happen it often will'!

#553 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Gypsy Queen" backglass is done.
It took all of about ten minutes to do it.
Woodrail glasses are easy because there is only the replay window to mask. Now I can touch up the minor issues it has after letting it dry thoroughly for a couple of days.

Good decision

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Re triple thicking back glass. Leaning toward doing it because it does have flaws, including one scratch, in the black parts that I would like to touch up. And thinking that touching up on the back side of triple thick is safer than trying to touch up directly on the glass. Also, the wood light panel is rubbing in a few places, and going to use felt spacers on the face of the wood to protect the glass. Would rather have the felt resting on the TT than on the glass.

Yep I reckon you are on the right track-triple it.

1 month later
#596 5 years ago

The path of that black paint run is just incredible!

6 months later
#711 5 years ago
Quoted from BallyCrazy:

My Aquacade United before restoration :
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
After
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

A lot of fun !

Very nice job!-great to see you removed that lower post.

2 months later
#758 5 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Here are some photos of my 1948 Exhibit Supply ‘New Contact’. It was converted to have flippers at some point early in its life but otherwise remains original down to its coin box. A real survivor and not a game you see very often.
I never had a game with the spring compression bumpers before but they are very snappy similar to if they were DC powered. The original flyer calls them “explosion kickers” that “give action and thrilling suspense as never before”.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice machine. The flipper conversion looks to have been done quite professionally.

7 months later
#893 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Questions about repainting a woodrail cabinet: Does anyone have recommendations and a good method for painting circles?
https://www.krylon.com/products/satin-finish/

For cabinet repaints I take a tracing of the cab then transfer the trace to mdf board and cutout with a jigsaw. In the case of circles I use either an appropriately sized forstner bit or speedbore or holesaw to create the circle in the board ready for spraying. The circles on this method are the easiest part of the process.

1 month later
#945 4 years ago
Quoted from Hyperball91:

Well, I guess I can save you the trouble DCRand...what do you think of this? Look close enough? I think I got her hair and nose right...and the missing piece of course.
This is just a preview png, my original tif is much larger if you like it and decide to print it.
~ Mal ~[quoted image]

Great gesture and work Mal. BTW have not forgotten the Crosstown pics just been sidelined lately.

2 months later
#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

To follow up, I got a decent scan of the Genco Three Feathers to work from, so here's the completed art. The grey shows the areas where the glass will be silvered.
Now I'm looking for some help in restoring the art for a '51 Williams Shoot The Moon. This glass has been chipped and shattered by kids who used it for target practice with a bb gun as well as throwing at it with the steel balls. I need a couple of good hi-res pics of the girls on the left and the lower right corner. The pics available on line at IPDB and other sites don't have the needed resolution. Anybody with this game that can help out? It'll be much appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice work on the Three Feathers bg!

1 year later
#1377 2 years ago

I am in the process of restoring a GTB 1956 Auto Race and currently servicing the motor board. There is a missing label positioned as per pics. If anyone has a pic of the label would really appreciate a post. Thks.

canon14052021 004 (resized).JPGcanon14052021 004 (resized).JPG

canon14052021 003 (resized).JPGcanon14052021 003 (resized).JPG

canon14052021 002 (resized).JPGcanon14052021 002 (resized).JPG

I also note a marking 'T Malarkey Interior' on the end of the motor board. Was this guy a cabinet maker for Gottlieb?

canon14052021 005 (resized).JPGcanon14052021 005 (resized).JPG

#1392 2 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Hi,
I had, but sold a few months ago, a nice original Joker. As some of you may know from my history, I am a fan of the 50's woodrails. Generally speaking, the early woodrails are slower and more "difficult" than the 60's/70's games to which you may be most familiar. The reverse flippers on some, including the Joker, takes some getting used to.
I set my tilt to very liberal and allow the games to be shaken. Part of the necessary strategy on these games is to be able to nudge them, and I have tilted a few games in my video attempts.
The Joker backglass is one of my favorite art glasses. I also have a nice repro glass from BG resto on my wall. In short, I would recommend the game!
Here's a brief video of game play from a few months ago:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great vid and info thks. The bumpers and flippers pack quite a punch-were the original coils installed?

3 months later
#1493 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

One quick question. On the Rocket Ship, the 10,000's Unit was a mess. I got all the cobbed up
springs straightened out, and some of the EM arcade stuff has the same stepper bell, but on the
10,000's Unit bell, does the end of the arm that strikes the bell suppose to have a round metal
washer type item attached to it and makes contact with the bell itself? The end of the arm is striking the
bell and it rings, but there's a hole at the end of the arm as if something was once riveted onto it that
perhaps makes contact with the bell. Seems like machines with Stepper Bells that I've went through
had a circular metal or nylon type washer attached to the end of the arm..
Can anyone confirm? Thanks in advance..

This is a pic of my Rocket Ship stepper with the ring although it appears washers were once installed.

IMG_3515 (resized).JPGIMG_3515 (resized).JPG

These are pics of my GTB 1956 Auto Race which indicates the inclusion of a washer either side of the arm.

IMG_3516 (resized).JPGIMG_3516 (resized).JPG

IMG_3517 (resized).JPGIMG_3517 (resized).JPG

#1496 2 years ago

Although the bg provides provision for 'Game Over' on Rocket Ship a light was not included in production however there is a simple reversible solution to include the light. Will take a pic and post.

#1499 2 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Although the bg provides provision for 'Game Over' on Rocket Ship a light was not included in production however there is a simple reversible solution to include the light. Will take a pic and post.

Bulb holder installed in 'vacant hole' with x2 leads

IMG_3519 (resized).JPGIMG_3519 (resized).JPG

Ground lead attached via alligator clip

IMG_3520 (resized).JPGIMG_3520 (resized).JPG

Remaining wire to match feature

IMG_3522 (resized).JPGIMG_3522 (resized).JPG

At game over

IMG_3524 (resized).JPGIMG_3524 (resized).JPG

#1521 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I had what sounds like a similar problem on an earlier Gottlieb and the culprit was a spring on the 100k stepper. In my machine's case, it was happening when 500k should have been awarded--as the stepper was stepping up each of the five steps, it would occasionally "double step" on a step. At the time it was happening, I wasn't sure if the step up coil was getting too many pulses (i.e., an electrical issue) or if it was the stepper causing the problem (i.e., a mechanical issue). I ultimately figured it out by recording a video of the 100k stepper during the awarding of 500k and could then see on the slowed down video that the armature on the stepper was "bouncing" and stepping up more than once every now and then. Either I replaced the main spring (largest if I remember right) on the armature or attached the spring so that it was a tad bit tighter--at least this solved my machine's problem and I haven't seen it since.
Good luck!

I am in the process of restoring a GTB 1946 Superliner and had the same problem (2000 rather than 1000 on the dead bumpers) and same solution. That is the main spring on the up coil appeared to lack tension. Placed a second spring on the mech and no problem. At some time I will 'test' a new spring.

2 months later
#1545 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

My 1953 Williams Grand Champion has impulse flippers and it was fun learning how to play with them. My thinking is the playfield was designed with the impulse flippers in mind, not the flippers we have today. I don't think this game would play right if it was changed over to regular flippers.
I recorded a video of the impulse flippers that you might be interested in seeing. Either flipper button on either side will activate both impulse flippers at the same time.

Hi Bruce - Would it possible for you to post a couple of pics of the impulse flipper mechs under pf pls? Thks Wayne

#1554 2 years ago

My 1953 Williams Grand Champion has impulse flippers and it was fun learning how to play with them. My thinking is the playfield was designed with the impulse flippers in mind, not the flippers we have today. I don't think this game would play right if it was changed over to regular flippers.
I recorded a video of the impulse flippers that you might be interested in seeing. Either flipper button on either side will activate both impulse flippers at the same time.

Hi Bruce - Would it possible for you to post a couple of pics of the impulse flipper mechs under pf pls? Thks Wayne

Hi Wayner - It's hard to show the impulse flipper mechanics with the trap hole trough in the way. I recorded a short video while actuating one of the flippers. Hope it helps you. I can post pics too.
Bruce

Thanks so much Bruce-very helpful. I needed to see the configuration for a project I am undertaking. Cheers Wayne

1 year later
#1752 9 months ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Crazy Ball (1948, CCM) is recently up and running with just a few additional details to work out (that aren't related to game play--e.g., wiring on coin door for coin chute relay and game counter). Getting it working again was pretty straightforward, but not having a schematic felt like working without a net.
The machine features a "spinning bumper" that shoots the ball around the playfield or gives the ball a tremendous spin. Chicago Coin first used this with Spinball (which came out in May of 1948, Crazy-Ball came out in July) but then not again until 1973 with Hee Haw (albeit with a different style).
Principal objective is to hit the C, R, A, Z, Y bumpers (in order) to lite the "extra special hole" (for five replays!). Otherwise replays are won via certain scores.
[quoted image]
The rubber on the spinning bumper was hard and misshapen, but I was able to make a replacement.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
The spinning bumper is controlled by a small motor on bottom of playfield that is run via a separate, smaller transformer in the cabinet and options of different voltages for controlling speed. It took a bit of effort to get the motor clean and working smoothly and quietly.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Will try to record a video of gameplay.

Nice work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=wayner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.