20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waltrr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 8 years ago

I guess it's really up to you as to what you like. Woodrails have so many different features from one pin to another and also year to year
Gobble holes hate em or don't mind them (nobody loves em) or what about Drop targets. Maybe you do or don't like roto targets and how about animation? There's so many different choices. Balls A Poppin, Jonnyo loves it,I for one couldn't get rid of my Balls A Poppin fast enough. Different strokes for different folks, so you need to choose, especially if you're only going for one. Ha ha, they're like potato chips. Bet you can't eat (buy) just one
I still have about 50 woodrails I've kept through the years. Lots of them are listed in my "collection". Do your research, play a few and make up your own mind. What one person likes, another might not. I rotate woodrails in my gameroom from time to time, but there are a few that never seem to leave. One is Kewpie Doll another is Sittin Pretty and my Knockout will always be up. One with Gobbles, one with Roto and one with the fantastic animation and an awesome backglass.
I wish you were closer, you're welcome here to play some. Or if you're ever by Vegas, stop in Tims place, there should be lots of them there.
Good luck on your search

2 years later
#487 6 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Stripped my Sittin' Pretty. She needs a good fixin' and cleanin'!

One of my favorites and a keeper for me. It's one that never seems to get rotated out of my game room. Just love the backglass.
Have fun!!

1 month later
#513 6 years ago

Pretty nice looking Gypsy Queen, makes me want to set mine back up again. If I only had more space...
ENJOY!!

3 months later
#659 5 years ago

The 2017 Mr. Pinball price guide has it at $1000.
Subtract a few bucks for the backglass and keep your fingers crossed.
It isn't an easy one to sell.
GLWTS,
Walt

1 year later
#938 4 years ago
Quoted from stavio:

Played this beauty a bunch at the york show. Its on my list but this machine wasn't for sale.[quoted image]

Sittin Pretty, one of my favorites and always set up in my game room.
Great game!!

1 month later
#1024 4 years ago

Looks like there are still a few of us out there.
With about 30 Woodrails in my collection, I guess you can count me in too.
A couple of my favorites are Kewpie Doll and Sittin Pretty, but so many are fantastic.
I know Kewpie has a small playing area, but rolling the ball off the tip of the flipper and up the
side rollovers is awesome.
Balls A Poppin, one of the few I've sold. The game just feels wierd with the placement of the lock bar vs. the
flipper buttons and although it has a multi ball, it felt like slow motion to me. Looking back, probably should have kept it.
Now Flipper, don't have a woodrail version, but do have the Wedgehead along with the entire Flipper series
but if anyone wants to sell me the Woodrail, I'm always looking.

1 week later
2 months later
#1089 4 years ago
Quoted from CamaroBilly:

I'm trying to work on a 1945 Gottlieb Stage Door Canteen pinball for a freind. I've got several 70's Gottlieb games that I've been able to learn about and get working. I can't find too much info on this game. I have the schematics coming from PBR but they don't have a manual or any info on the start up sequence for the game. Also none of the relays are marked so hard to tell what is what. Any info about this would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Billy

Did you check out Clays repair guides?
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

You Tube is also a huge help for me.

2 months later
#1136 3 years ago

Hey Gang,

Still hunting the upper molding for a single player Gottlieb back box or an early 50's back box with the slide up door. Paint not important, it's getting a complete repaint anyway.
Also needs to ship to Michigan.

Thanks in advance,
Walt

Knock Out (resized).jpgKnock Out (resized).jpg
6 months later
#1271 3 years ago

Here's a Harbor Lites and a great deal for someone in eastern Michigan. Not mine and I already have one.
detroit.craigslist.org link

#1273 3 years ago

The add is now gone, it must have been sold, anybody here grab a great deal on a great machine?
I've had mine for about 20 years and it's not going anywhere.

#1283 3 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

From my limited experience, it seems there was a misguided era of “restoration/preservation” where people unfortunately used oil based Polly on the playfields. The factory lacquer will of course yellow over time, but nowhere near the levels I’ve seen in some games. Having multiple games from the same years and manufacturers, it’s clear the extremely yellowed playfields were done by owners. I’m sure it looked nice at the time, but even after just a couple years, with an oil based clear, the yellowing would be substantial. Add a decade or two to the mix and you get this...
My question is, has anyone successfully been able to remove a yellowed Polly topcoat without removing the paint?? I can see the beautiful colors under there.. magic eraser and a meditative level of care and patience??
The “tan” painted areas on this game are supposed to be white, and the rest of the colors are equally tinted.
[quoted image]

''

I have had 0 luck without damaging the paint underneath. I'm working on a Minstrel Man now that has what might be a shellac coating on the playfield that has yellowed, I'm going to have to live with it. Also have a few more the same, I tried to do my Easy Aces white, now I'll have to air brush it back in. I give up.

11 months later
#1575 2 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Working on a Straight Shooter... looks like there's been some scavenging in the backbox. I'm missing a number parts off of the 0-9 unit. Anybody know of a source of parts for these? I will need most of the mechanical hardware (a couple of the lever arms, a switch, the coil and coil bracket...)
[quoted image]

I always end up on E-Bay, for me, it's a great source for parts.
ebay.com link: itm

2 months later
#1618 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I was looking at ipdb for images of WMS Times Square from 1953 and noticed that the cap on the bottom center pop in the promotional photo is chipped (see photo below). I suppose that the machine in the photo had been tested for gameplay and a direct hit caused the cap to chip, but you'd think that they'd put on a new cap for the promo photo.
Promotional photo at: https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2570
[quoted image]
The cap in the same position on my machine also was chipped the same way so I replaced it with an intact one, but an occasional good direct hit will knock the cap off the pop (and luckily it hasn't been chipped yet).
Also, the 1949 WMS parts catalog shows a ball gate with a plastic cover (red, presumably) and photos of a few WMS machines from early 1950s show a ball gate with a red plastic cover, but the same promotional photo of Times Square shows the gate without a plastic cover (see photo below). Anyone know if WMS only use these during certain years?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Not sure if you're looking for one, but PBR has reproduced those ball gate covers, call and ask Jimmy. And they shouldn't be coming off if the correct screws and washers are used

1 year later
#1779 5 months ago
Quoted from bcarter1234:

I just got my first pinball machine, a Gottlieb Rocket Ship. What better way to start than a woodrail? I was so pleased when my wife turned to me after about 15 minutes and said "I really like this game." Both are keepers.
Now for the newbie question. What if anything should I use to wax the playfield? I want to keep this thing looking and playing great for another 65 years. Well at least do my part for 20 or so...
Thanks for reading.
Take care,
Brent
[quoted image]

It's a great machine, I've had mine for about 20 years now. As far as playfield wax, I use good old fashioned Johnsons paste wax on the playfields and the cabinet, works great for me.
Also, don't know if you're interested, but Marco has a new plastics set for Rocket Ship, a bit pricey, but they look good.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PP1976
Enjoy!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider waltrr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=waltrr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.