20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#488 6 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Hi,
You picked up a great game! Enclosing pix of mine, which as you can tell, was fully restored several years ago by the previous owner. I do not know what the exact colors should be from the factory, since all pictures on line show games with varying red, purple and blue tones. I'm pleased with this effort.
Hope this helps and good luck with your game. J

Those colors are pretty close Joel - I'd say the purple should be a little darker. Here's a link to when I re-did my RP several years ago - you can see on the before pics the original colors under the legs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFDropfxqR6ODH2

Sean

#493 6 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Very nice guys, I wish someday mine can look that good! Can either of you help me with a stencil or pattern of the graphics? I'd like to repaint mine as someone completely sanded off the paint!
Thanks
nomo

Sorry nomo...I sold mine at Allentown the year I painted it. Thanks for the compliment though!

Sean

1 week later
#509 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I picked up a 1936 Bumper Machine today and the bulb that projects the score onto the screen in the head is broken. Where could I get replacements or is the a modification I can do to project the score?

I found that using the "silverlight" auto bulbs works well for these projection units. The bigger problem is the plastic stencil-type wheel that the light shines through can be warped, which makes the number look distorted...but from the pic, that one doesn't look too bad!

I can't recall the exact number of the bulbs I use - but I have it at home and can get it for you later if I remember...

Sean

2 months later
#582 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

1959 Bally 'Crosswords'.

So funny Dennis...I almost posted pics of "Spelling Bee", which is the other version of this unique game when I saw cait001 comment too! I have one of those, but it's in the project pile, and not nearly as good looking as yours...well done!! )

Oh what the hell...here's mine. I will certainly keep in mind you have this game when I get around to restoring it...

IMG_1362 (resized).JPGIMG_1362 (resized).JPG

IMG_1360 (resized).JPGIMG_1360 (resized).JPG

IMG_1358 (resized).JPGIMG_1358 (resized).JPG

IMG_1355 (resized).JPGIMG_1355 (resized).JPG

#583 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Oh, the humanity!
ebay.com link » Pinball Lucky Lady Coffee Table 1954 Lights Up

Sigh...Lady Luck. Not that it matters anymore...friggin idiots.

This one wasn't so lucky...lol

#586 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Thanks for posting the Spelling Bee photos.
Does your game not have a replay register? The backglass photo is dark and it is hard to tell if it is there or not.
If there is no register, that would help explain the puzzler as to why all of the Spelling Bees I have seen have replay registers and have exactly the same game play as Crosswords. Even the tags in the heads are labeled "Crosswords".
I am just guessing that some Crosswords may have Spelling Bee glasses with the replay window scraped open.
Could you please note the serial number on your game? Thanks.
Hoping that your game does not have the register. That would make Spelling Bee a true non-replay game.

I will check when I get home on the replay register...now you got me curious.

Looking at IPDB, the one game that has all the pics from has mis-matching cabinet and head serial numbers...leading credence to your swapping parts theory...and I see that one has a replay window. Now I'm extra excited about checking this at home later! :oD

I also want to check that tag in the backbox(if it's there), hoping it says Spelling Bee.

I'm surprised I already hadn't posted the SN to the IPSND, I have many submissions on there...but I just looked and only the two are from Jay's pics on IPDB and listed with those two numbers. I don't remember there being a SN on the cab...only high up on the head, which you can see(but not read) in the one pic. So there's ANOTHER thing to look for...I might have to leave early!! I love pin-sleuthing... )

Quoted from Vic_Camp:

The side of the cabinet is stamped #5131.....could this be the serial number.
Is that some kind of extra coin lot located on the left front corner of the cabinet. could it be for some kind of hopper payout?
Are the posts metal,chrome or nickel?
I think the spelling bee will clean up nicely and look very good after putting some time into the game.
The Crosswords doesn't look like there are any large payouts. What is the most amount of replays a player can win in one game?

The SN you're can't quite read is S1258 - I will post this along with a closer pic on IPSND later...

I'll also try to investigate the hopper Vic...stay tuned.

Sean

#594 5 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

I will check when I get home on the replay register...now you got me curious.
Looking at IPDB, the one game that has all the pics from has mis-matching cabinet and head serial numbers...leading credence to your swapping parts theory...and I see that one has a replay window. Now I'm extra excited about checking this at home later! :oD
I also want to check that tag in the backbox(if it's there), hoping it says Spelling Bee.
I'm surprised I already hadn't posted the SN to the IPSND, I have many submissions on there...but I just looked and only the two are from Jay's pics on IPDB and listed with those two numbers. I don't remember there being a SN on the cab...only high up on the head, which you can see(but not read) in the one pic. So there's ANOTHER thing to look for...I might have to leave early!! I love pin-sleuthing... )

The SN you're can't quite read is S1258 - I will post this along with a closer pic on IPSND later...
I'll also try to investigate the hopper Vic...stay tuned.
Sean

Sorry it took so long to get back to this...it turned out to be a busy weekend.

Vic: Those posts are plastic and silver painted...disappointing! )

I could find no tags inside the machine that list it as Crosswords or Spelling Bee - the mice have been at some of the labels, and that maybe one that got shredded. However, it does have mismatched SNs between the head and cabinet, just like the SB that Jay Stafford lists on IPDB.

It also has a replay counter - someone spray-painted the window over on the back-side in black, and somehow got lucky with their sloppy drizzle that ran between the letters...I'd never get that lucky. lol

It looks like all the parts for the payout mechanism that Vic spotted are still there and not original. The added wires that run to the mech that pushes coins into the hopper were definitely added anf only appear to come out of original wires bundles.

So I think this game was originally sold as a replay game, but someone converted it to a payout machine...

IMG_0829[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0829[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0831[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0831[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0832[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0832[1] (resized).JPG

IMG_0833[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0833[1] (resized).JPG

#598 5 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

The path of that black paint run is just incredible!

Haha...that's what I said - I'd never get that lucky!! )

4 weeks later
#615 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

A long weekend is approaching, so I will be working on it again.

I love that feeling....

2 months later
#671 5 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I came across this Dancing Dolls that is supposed to be a wood rail.
Guy I bought it from said it was some type of prototype that he purchased from a Gottlieb family member many years ago.
I dont know how true it is but it's in my garage now
[quoted image]

You can compare your machine to the one on IPDB that is also supposedly a prototype:
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=dancing+dolls&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5902

That cab is strange...I don't recognize it from any other GTB titles, although I could be not thinking of a few, and it doesn't appear to be a wedgehead, yet the cabinet and head pattern match. So the theory that someone threw this in a used cabinet from a later game seems less likely in this case. I've seen that type of thing alot...

2 months later
#722 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Actually United's Venus Target Shuffle is a 1955. A couple weeks ago, I traded in the 4th
one that I had. I had a 1954 Comet Shuffle, and I believe there's one from 1952/53, and
possible another early 50s. I believe Alex's is a 1950, and most likely the first Skee-Ball
Shuffle that United produced. I'm a sucker for those Target Shuffles. I believe I had nine
total, and presently have a 1965 Kick-a-Poo (Williams/United) and 1955 United 5th Inning
(Man-Run-the-Bases) set up. Here's a pic of the head of the 1955 Venus that I recently
got in. They're a fun playing game..
[quoted image]

Why am I not surprised that the VST head is resting on a keg... :0D

I agree...I'd never seen one of these until visiting Tim's last year...what a blast to play with friends. Costly for the newbie since I never win the little piles of dollars, but a blast to play and everybody loves a donater. Haha...can't wait until the next time.

Sean

1 month later
#746 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Operators fitted to stop people drilling holes through cabinet to get free games.
This was never fitted by Gottlieb.

Yep! And they went to metal rails not as much for aesthetics, but for armor. The wood sides were easy to "drill" through with a small pen knife...

1 month later
#769 5 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Does anybody happen to have any advice on repairing/refinishing wood legs?
If there is already a thread, I didn't see it.
While I eventually have several machines/sets to get to, this particular set I'm debating what to do with.
I'm leaving all rest of machine with all its battle scars and dings on woodrails, but legs are a little rough.
I'm not sure if I should leave rough and just make them as sound as possible, or if I should refinish entirely. Either way, I wasn't sure what to do about the splitting etc. Wood is split, but seems to be VERY hard and doesn't flex to be able to like glue and clamp...
I'll leave out the fact that they appear to be kinda warped too, for now.
Any advice?????
Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have many sets of woodrail legs - I wrote up this summation on RGP a couple years ago:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rec.games.pinball/_AL-1Ej9HNo/discussion

Since I have so many, when I find one like the one in your pictures, I just use one of my many spares. I have a small pile of legs I've deemed too far gone to use on games due to serious splitting around the bolt holes and/or warping. I really don't think there's much you can do with those, except maybe use them on the back. I'm fortunate to have a spares pile, but you can often find spares and sets at shows...just make sure you get one that matches what you need...the differences between the legs the major manufacturers used in the 40s & 50s are slight, as I outlined in that RGP thread.

#774 5 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Just got this one . Can’t wait to start cleaning to see what I’ve got now ! All seems to work. We shall see !
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool...don't think I've seen one of those before. I like how it keeps the two players earnings separate...unique, well at least rare, for a 50s multiplayer...

2 months later
#837 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I have a trick for that, use a razor blade to slice the rubber in half, making it easier to nail. You can make a jig with a small block of wood and a drill. Yes, small nails (brads) are needed to hold it to the sides.
Great looking game oldcarz!

This is my preferred method as well Nick...

3 months later
#883 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks to Stoomer , we have a new-to-us Gottlieb #Stagecoach and it's quickly becoming a family favorite.
[quoted image]
I explained to my wife there are multiple ways to "win" and then showed her one. Next game showed her a couple more, and so on. She's a total convert. Ha-ha! Our son is getting in on the action, too...
[quoted image]
And what an art package...
[quoted image]
Hard for me to believe this made its way into our basement. Played one at TPF2019 and figured with the low production numbers it might be a long time, if ever, before I was able to nab one. Once again, the pinball fates have smiled upon me.

Hooray!! So happy to see it getting the play it deserves Ryan...that was the most serendipitous pinball deal ever, just meant to be.

Quoted from Gotemwill:

This looks like the Stagecoach that was at Allentown this past Spring. I played it the most out of any games there and wished I was in the position to buy it then. I would still love to find one.
Glad it found a good home.

Now you guys are making me feel bad about selling it!! LOL...actually couldn't be happier...I got ALOT of games and always happy to see one go to a good home...

Sean

1 year later
#1397 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

oldcarz
My Wms 1957 Hi-Hand has stainless "plastics" for want of the correct term, very similar to those on Joker. Was that common for Woodrails across the manufacturers? Now I’m wondering if a prior owner put Gtb on Hi-Hand.

In the 50s the mixed in metal lite shields with the plastic ones...it was just what style they wanted for that particular game, but eventually they did stop using the metal lite shields. GTBs Derby Day is an example where they used both:

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=664&picno=29218&zoom=1

Looking up Hi-Hand on ipdb it does seem like the metal ones are original...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=stoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.