20210310_182009 (resized).jpg
20211218_122615 (resized).jpg
20211218_122644 (resized).jpg
20211218_122948 (resized).jpg
20211218_123432 (resized).jpg
20211218_122924 (resized).jpg
Sea Wolf Motor board.pdf (PDF preview)
Sea Wolf under PF.pdf (PDF preview)
Sea Wolf head and cabinet unassembled.pdf (PDF preview)
Screenshot_20211210-232754_eBay (resized).jpg
EXKQ7231[1] (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 6 years ago

For me there are so many great titles to choose from, especially in the 1952 - 1955 era.

The jackpot games are epic as they are comparable to modern day wizard features.

Frontiersman - 10 replay jackpot.
Wishing Well - 10 replays.
Sweet Add A Line - an amazing 26 replay jackpot for completing the game.
World Champ - 10 replays.
Easy Aces - 10 replays.
Ace High - 10 replays.
Derby Day - 12 replays.
Sluggin Champ - 5 replays.

And then there are so many pre 1955 beautiful games with multiple ways to win. These are so good as whilst playing it always feels like you are about to win, but somehow it never works out that way!

I have zero nostalgia associated with these games. I just love the art and the captivating gameplay.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Thanks! Will check those games out, I'm looking for a game that's fun to play and has beautiful art. Have you played those games yourself?
BTW that was one feature I loved about the Grand Champion, the fact you could win as many as 26 replays at one time (I think it was 26 and I also think it was a "gambling game"?), so different from games where you win one replay at a time.

I have played Sweet Add A Line and it's close cousin Gypsy Queen and love both these games. Gypsy Queen can win 8 replays. Something about collecting the lines on the backglass and they both have a nice layout.

I love my Mystic Marvel - maximum 6 replays with double feature. Great art, great gameplay and gobble holes like sink holes!!!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

I think every single pinball wood rail makes you look like you kidnap girls and keep them in your basement. Creepy if you ask me. With the exception when times were innocent in the 1950's and 60's, then it's acceptable.
Otherwise, freaking creepy.
Sorry, just reread the entire thread. It must be because I'm still in shock after seeing this "creepy" machine:
http://www.villagebbs.com/forum/index.php?topic=28466.0

You sure do have a vivid imagination

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from mot:

Clay Harrell has a thorough write up about the history of Gottlieb EMs, and for almost all of the woodrails, he includes information and ratings of each game.
His only A+ ratings are Knock Out, Minstrel Man, Mermaid, and Daisy May. Luckily, I had a chance to play all four of those at his show in Michigan this past weekend.
http://pinrepair.com/gtb/

And did they live up to reputation?

#26 6 years ago

Nice game

Like the way it plays and the bell sound on certain points.

11 months later
#70 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A short story....Its a pleasure to see these beauties!
For me, I started collecting 1932-1938 mechanicals, I must have had close to 50 games, 30 years ago.
1940 to say 1950 was hard during the war years, and Pinheads wanted their favorite 1950's games in the early 60's.
I couldnt touch them. I could get 2 Newer games or older games for the same, and simply shied away.
Big Mistake. Those sharing these pics, or have a game(s) have such a joy in incredible art, and light...its quite remarkable
to look deeper into at this time!
I remember my Uncles, in 1965ish, arguing along with the battles of baseball, and Mantle, how the new Metal Side rails, changed the games, "too much" from wood rails.
They couldnt "shake" them the same way. "cold" to lean on, Girls were "less attracted", basically like a GB thread at this time, innovation was met with skepticism. Of course, they were older and married, and reflecting on their youth.
At least, those that have a passion for wood rails are free from the debate of code, flow, and LEDs!
Bring on the pics! What a joy to see! Some very Lucky Owners!

And the funny thing is they were probably right! Well, I am biased as these games have a kind of magic.

And as for rules or code as it is currently known as - woodrails had complex rulesets. Daisy My has 6 different ways to win! By the time the 70's came along most games just had one way to win. I love the 70's games as well but quality of the woodrails is just something else.

I should talk more quietly as there are a number of woodrails I still really want

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I appreciate you sharing! Its almost a brave thing to admit, but hopefully the thread title might keep away some
from arguing with you!
I can see your view, and its weird how Whoa Nellie supports and validates it.
Everyone who has visited and played it in a home environment, able to hear and play in Peace,
Marvels at the simple pleasure.
Most all, prior to playing, feel it will be "boring" next to the others.....no way!
Now, the "real" wood rails must be a blast! The sounds of the chimes in the videos ring to the bone!
How long will a game list, after getting skilled with a game?
Are there desirable game playing features, as a player with experience you look for?

I wrote this on another thread - might be of interest.

I never ever played a woodrail anywhere until a few years ago. Apart from how they look, they are such great players. If they weren't fantastic to play I wouldn't buy them no matter how good they look.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-were-mid-50s-gottlieb-so-addictive#post-2493207

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thank you! Great Read!
My ignorance that they were bells, not chimes....3 in a game, or were there more?
Sorry...Im a wood rail Newbie!

Bells well implemented are very cool!

Sluggin Champ 1955. One of THE very best players, different ways to win.

Can win by scoring RBI's. What is cool is that there are 4 targets that score RBI's. Ball 1 you score 1, Ball 2 score 2 etc. Each RBI gets a crack of a 5 inch bell.

What it means that on ball 5 you may have scored zero RBI but on ball 5 continued hitting of the targets scores 5 at a time with 5 big bongs of the bell. This makes for frantic last ball play.

And of course you can collect all the teams, one league or both and win on points.

No wonder it was a MEGA earner in the 50's.

I think it would be now if put on location.

Try finding one with a really nice p/f - never seen one as this game was very heavily played!

#105 5 years ago

Here is a game that used to be in high demand but it seems off the radar at the moment.

Beautiful art and colors, deep purple etc.

I have as much fun playing this with it's multiple ways to win than any modern game out there and I have played most and owned a lot.

1952 Coronation.

The glow and the warmth of the game make me feel good before I even shoot a ball.

IMG_9598.JPG

#148 5 years ago

People's rating of woodrails seems to vary a lot as well.

My favorite at the moment is Lovely Lucy 1954 ( greatest year ever for pinball ? ) .

Many say Lucy sucks as a player with 6 gobble holes but I just find it addictive to try and unlight the bumpers 3 times - very very hard to so. The lighting is so mesmeric it just sucks me right in. I just love the whole art package as well.

So, no way is it the best player I have but it would be one of the last to leave for sure.

IMG_9600.JPG

IMG_9599.JPG

#150 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I would have to believe that anyone who says a given game "sucks" is because they have experienced a poorly playing version. Well tuned, sharp playing "C" titles are a world of difference than a poorly playing "A" title. Additionally, some tend to denigrate a given game simply because they are not skilled enough to play these games and prefer the easier games to master.
You are correct to stand by your gem that has been well restored and will be the last to leave your possession. As in any collectible....condition before title is a major influence.
Best of luck with it!
J

Thanks and agree 100% that condition is king for sure.

The other thing is how woodrails are rated. Some of the so called A titles are not that special in my eyes whereas other titles rank way higher. For example Lucy gets extra points from me because it is a true piece of nostalgia from the period. Lucille Ball on the backglass and the 'I Love Lucy' show is pretty iconic in it's time. I love games that relate to real events of that time, even though personally they are not nostalgic as I wasn't there!

Another category I have is the 'magic' factor - when you turn a game on and the effect of the lighting/art/whole package. Lucy for me is A + in this category.

But a lot of people really don't like have cruel and random the 6 gobble holes are.

The year 1954 was exceptional. I would be very happy to own every title from the year Not one bad game that year and most are classics. I did at one time wonder whether to try and collect all the titles but too difficult to find in great condition and no space to do so......

Here are Clay's ratings for 1954. Don't know much about the first 4 player game Super Jumbo except it was a monster earner according to Raphael Lankar who operated games in Paris.

Green Pastures, 1/54, 750 produced, A, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes.

Lovely Lucy, 2/54, 850 produced, B-, 6 gobble holes, backglass holdover replay feature.

Start of Double-Award games. (This allowed the player to put in an additional coin at the game start to double the number of any replays won. When one coin is inserted, the "thimble" light (on the lower ball arch) is lit, telling the player he can add another coin for a "double" game. This light stays on until the 10,000 unit is moved, turning off the ability for the player to add a coin for a "double" game. If a second coin was added, this will also turn the thimble light out, and the "double" light on the backglass goes on. Note the credit unit on a double game is slightly different than a conventional 1950s Gottlieb woodrail.) Start of game over and "balls played" lights on the lower ball arch (instead of a ball collect tray), balls now drop into lower ball arch. This now allowed the use of a "game over" light designation on backglass (though for sometime, the backglass had this designation, but didn't have a light bulb wired to light it!).

Mystic Marvel, 3/54, 1050 produced, A, 2 gobble holes, double-award, first game with "balls played" ball arch lights.

Jockey Club, 4/54, 1150 produced, B, 5 gobble holes.

Hawaiian Beauty, 5/54, 900 produced, A, 2 gobble holes, double-award, 3 pop bumpers below the flippers at bottom of playfield, balls played lights on lower ball arch.

Dragonette, 6/54, 950 produced, B+, 5 trap holes, double-award, BALL COLLECT TRAY, complete side bumpers 1 to 8 in order to light playfield replays, outstanding Roy Parker backglass and playfield art.

Daisy May, 7/54, 600 produced, A+, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes, double-award, 4 flippers at bottom of playfield, BALL COLLECT TRAY.

Gold Star, 8/54, 700 produced, C, 7 gobble holes, double-award, balls played lights on lower ball arch.

Lady Luck, 9/54, 700 produced, B, 4 gobble holes, 3 kick out holes, double-award, "balls played" ball arch lights.

4-Belles, 10/54, 400 produced, B+, 5 trap holes, double-award, Four Belles was an exact copy of Dragonette (6/54) except for different artwork. Because of that, this game uses a BALL COLLECT TRAY (and hence no "balls played" lights) and does not have a game over relay. LAST GAME TO USE TRAP HOLES, complete side bumpers 1 to 8 in order to light playfield replays, outstanding Roy Parker backglass and playfield art.

Diamond Lill, 12/54, 700 produced, A, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes, double-award, center horseshoe around a pop bumper, reverse flippers. Has the old style BALL COLLECT TRAY (and hence no "balls played" lights) and does not have a game over relay (probably because this game was designed earlier and not released).
End of ball collect tray at bottom of playfield era.
End of Double-Award games.
Start of Multi-Player games (note these games do not use "balls played" lights on the lower ball arch).

Super Jumbo, 10/54, 500 produced, 4 player, Gottlieb's first 4 player woodrail game with score reels. Replays only awarded based on score.

Stage Coach, 11/54, 650 produced, B, 5 gobble holes, "balls played" ball arch lights.

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Shapeshifter, I played this game at the Pacific Pinball Expo one year and wasn't overly impressed with it, thus reflecting my review on the IPDB. The odds are fairly good however, that it wasn't playing like it should have been (typical of most shows) But the odds are 'also' fairly good that I will be able to play a properly shopped out example in the near future and will make it a point to give this title another chance. I can't give any guarantees but won't be afraid to go back in and change my comments and numbers on this game if I find out otherwise.

From a purely player's perspective you may still find it doesn't make the grade for you. It doesn't have the dual scoring system which is a negative and there is a big element of luck as the gobble holes are relentless! Not really a players game like say Diamond Lill.

But it has other qualities that are more difficult to measure. Standing in front of the game in a dark room, it has a magic quality that just makes me feel good before I even play a game.

I Love Lucy tv show means nothing to me but I like the fact it references the show and the main characters are on the backglass. No copyright issues in those days!!

IMG_9603.JPG

lucy.jpg

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Yes, it may not... but still want to give it another shot.
And who knows? Maybe I'll see the game in a different light, doesn't happen too often but every once in awhile...
But even if it doesn't... that's one of the many beautiful things about this hobby, for every game that somebody doesn't like... there will be those that 'do' like it. We've probably all been on both sides of the fence.

Very true.

So far I haven't played a pre 55 Gottlieb that is a dud.

I suspect the only dud was Guys and Dolls with the push up posts.

#165 5 years ago

Love the glass

Now, when you do the video you have to get the 2 million shot captured on film!

This is a really rare feature for a game of this vintage and the kickers kick in different directions so it will be a rare feat to kick through all the 4 holes thus earning 2 million.

Agh, another game I want

#166 5 years ago

At 8.39 quick multiball on Rockettes.

Have the feeling this is going to be a real fun player.

#172 5 years ago

Poor old Queen of Diamonds!

#174 5 years ago

These multi way to win games require a fair amount of time on them as after many goes different ways of playing them develop.

I had been trying to focus on unlighting pop bumpers on Lovely Lucy to get specials but after first set is unlit one of the bottom slings gives 100000 and it is possible to feather the ball and score a lot of points without going into the gobble holes of doom!

Wayne Neyens was a total genius the way he designed these games with their multiple ways of winning.

And it amazes me how balanced most of them are in that there may be 5 ways to win but only during a game does it become apparent which one might pay off in the game.

#176 5 years ago

It looks fantastic but impulse flippers going to limit gameplay possibly and a few who played it at Allentown weren't blown away by gameplay.

Do love the look though. Can't believe no one picked it up at Allentown as those local there would be zero shipping.

#178 5 years ago

Maybe the front of the cabinet put buyers off? That big piece of metal is a shame - not sure why it is there.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I played the Screamo at Allentown and, although it was in very nice condition, I wasn't impressed with the game. Impulse flippers are not necessarily a negative, but I don't recall this game being as lively as it could have been. My Freshie has impulse flippers that work fine and, as o-din states, they add to the challenge of timing your shot.
The only metal on the front is the coin acceptor. The wooden door is painted.

Maybe it has been removed since this photo?

611504a7f8d272f2686e01dc361e0dd61bd26eb0.jpg

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have two impulse games and have been thinking that may be enough. I haven't got to play Speed Way yet as it is still a project. Pinky has such a creative layout and rule set that I'm thinking it may be hard to beat as far as impulse games go. However a friend of mine has an immaculate Struggle Buggies and I am looking forward to playing it. If nothing else it is a neat looking machine.

I had to go look that game up!

Love the art.

image-3.jpg

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's one that got by me. He called me up one day and said I'm getting a Struggle Buggies! And I said a what?

And a 1953 game with score reels!

This must be a super rare game I would guess.

Backglass is great.

b20df9b75cd74781ffd23786f287b.jpg

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

Putting the finishing touches on my Gottlieb Quartette. ..cab was falling apart and everything mechanical was coated in grease. Im happy with the result. Win by score, points, completing the number sequence, and light the super special for 5 replays.

Looks nice.

How does it play with the flipper configuration?

#212 5 years ago

This one is coming soon......

Probably do write up and video in the Autumn as good to get videos on youtube of the features of all these games.

IMG_9624.JPG

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This one plays great.

How did you find that?! Great find.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It just showed up last night. Came from the EM and woodrail superstore. These impulse flippers have a lot of power. The whole machine does. And it's amazingly addictive to play. My legs gave out by the time I was done last night.

Sounds like the woodrail cookie store

We need a video this one!

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Working from memory, here's the list.
"Shindig"
"Flying High"
"Mystic Marvel"
"Daisy May"
"Joker"
"Marble Queen"
"Lovely Lucy"
"K.C. Jones"

Ya need to get out next time with that kind of list

#235 5 years ago

Once a honeymoon phase is over I try and rate in my mind, my 3 favorite woodrails that I currently own. Changes all the time of course as one excellent high scoring game can change it all!

Based on last 3 weeks my current top 3 are -

1. Mystic Marvel
2. Ace High
3. Sweet Add A Line.

When I first got Sweet Add A Line I was a bit disappointed with it but it really has grown on me. Something about collecting the numbers and lighting up the specials. The day I get them all and hear 26 knocks of the knocker will be a very special day

Mystic Marvel has been my number 1 for over a year and I really want a game to surpass it but just something about it!

Here is Sweet Add A Line.

IMG_9634_(resized).JPG

#237 5 years ago

I like also how the 50's games by Gottlieb were so close to copyright issues and yet it seems nobody cared!

Dragonette 1954.

From TV series Dragnet.

Girl on backglass heavily rumored to be Jessica Dragonette who just happened to promote the game with Gottlieb in 1954. And yet it was never official it was her on the glass. I think it was - not a big jump is it?

image-3-1_(resized).jpg
IMG_9633_(resized).JPG

s-l1600_(resized).jpg

#244 5 years ago

Great feeling when you find an obscure game that plays great!

Look forward to the video

#247 5 years ago

It looks like a real fun game, quirky, unique and retro

Great finding under the radar titles. Some of the under the radar titles play just as well as the A plus titles.

Let the hunt begin

#251 5 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Picked this up yesterday for $500 CDN, took the day off work to get it. The back glass has a bit of paint loss but not in important areas, playfield and inside filthy and the cabinet is repainted. No broken plastics and it seems reasonably unmolested. Oh, it also had metal legs. Should be fun!

Would love to see video of the famous star feature that it is possible to win 200 replays on this game!

#258 5 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Sittin' Pretty. Has a real nice cab, pf is excellent, Repo bg and pbr legs. Just picked up so I'll have to play it a bit before giving a full review. So far it's a tough cookie to beat, which is good!

A DF game will be a joy to play.

Sittin Pretty is very addictive - a prettier version of Buckaroo.

And it is a tough, tough game so you will be hitting the start button again and again.

3 weeks later
#270 5 years ago

Can recommend this 1954 title………..

For me 1954 was the pinnacle of the Gottlieb woodrails - so many great titles that year.

I have one of these here in a few weeks Just couldn't resist.

image-10_(resized).jpg
image-24_(resized).jpg

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Dragonette would be a good candidate....

There are so many great titles in 1954 and 1955, really great players. Main thing is to find nice condition and keep a keen eye on the CL ads as basement finds can be amazing

Frontiersman is the last game of the wooden leg era.

Green Pastures, 1/54, 750 produced, A, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes.

Lovely Lucy, 2/54, 850 produced, B-, 6 gobble holes, backglass holdover replay feature.

Mystic Marvel, 3/54, 1050 produced, A, 2 gobble holes, double-award, first game with "balls played" ball arch lights.

Jockey Club, 4/54, 1150 produced, B, 5 gobble holes.

Hawaiian Beauty, 5/54, 900 produced, A, 2 gobble holes, double-award, 3 pop bumpers below the flippers at bottom of playfield, balls played lights on lower ball arch.

Dragonette, 6/54, 950 produced, B+, 5 trap holes, double-award, BALL COLLECT TRAY, complete side bumpers 1 to 8 in order to light playfield replays, outstanding Roy Parker backglass and playfield art.

Daisy May, 7/54, 600 produced, A+, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes, double-award, 4 flippers at bottom of playfield, BALL COLLECT TRAY.

Gold Star, 8/54, 700 produced, C, 7 gobble holes, double-award, balls played lights on lower ball arch.

Lady Luck, 9/54, 700 produced, B, 4 gobble holes, 3 kick out holes, double-award, "balls played" ball arch lights.

4-Belles, 10/54, 400 produced, B+, 5 trap holes, double-award, Four Belles was an exact copy of Dragonette (6/54) except for different artwork. Because of that, this game uses a BALL COLLECT TRAY (and hence no "balls played" lights) and does not have a game over relay. LAST GAME TO USE TRAP HOLES, complete side bumpers 1 to 8 in order to light playfield replays, outstanding Roy Parker backglass and playfield art.

Diamond Lill, 12/54, 700 produced, A, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes, double-award, center horseshoe around a pop bumper, reverse flippers. Has the old style BALL COLLECT TRAY (and hence no "balls played" lights) and does not have a game over relay (probably because this game was designed earlier and not released).

Stage Coach, 11/54, 650 produced, B, 5 gobble holes, "balls played" ball arch lights.

Twin-Bill, 1/55, 800 produced, A-, one player but has dual scoring (red and green sides) allowing for replays on either or both scoring block, 2 gobble holes, "balls played" ball arch lights.

Gypsy Queen, 2/55, B, 1400 produced, 2 gobble holes, lots of rollovers, "balls played" ball arch lights, can win up to 8 credits.

Sluggin' Champ, 4/55, 950 produced, A, no gobble holes, no trap holes, came in a regular single player cabinet or a "deluxe" cabinet (larger 2 player cabinet, not as desirable), "balls played" ball arch lights.

Southern Belle, 6/55, 1000 produced, B-, 2 gobble holes, "balls played" ball arch lights.

Sweet Add-A-Line, 7/55, 800 produced, B+, 2 gobble holes, "balls played" ball arch lights, lots of rollovers, can win up to 26 credits!

Wishing Well, 9/55, 1050 produced, C+, 1 gobble hole, "balls played" ball arch lights, can win up to 10 credits, only Gottlieb made with a pressboard wood cabinet instead of plywood (yuck!)

Frontiersman, 11/55, 1000 produced, B+, 1 gobble hole, the last Gottlieb with wooden legs, carry over replay feature, can win up to 10 credits.

1 week later
#305 5 years ago

Wonder why Gottlieb never used this figure of 8 layout with flippers? Love the flow of the silver ball

Never owned a flipperless game but if I ever did, this one would be it. Condition is amazing.

ebay.com link: Gottlieb 51 Watch My Line pinball machine Pinball Girl found another Rare game

2 months later
#307 5 years ago

I am a big woodrail fan even though I only played my first one a couple of years ago. Started collecting 90's games.

Right now I do have a woodrail room but one overflowed into a room that has a 2015 game, 1997, 1991, 1978 and a 1958 woodrail! This room has the biggest rotation of all era games. It used to have just wedgeheads in it which did look nice. Probably change it round again soon. It wasn't meant to have a woodrail in it

Generally the pre 1955 Gottliebs are the most collectible due to rulesets/art etc etc.

Harbor Lites - never owned. Love the art. Heard it is a fun player and can win 6 specials i.e jackpot of 6.

There are no rules, so just do what takes your fancy

SDC12383 (resized).jpg

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Oh, and of course it NEEDS plastics and luckily Shay reproduced them and has them for sale currently! I just need to save up the money to buy a set. Hopefully eventually.

Nice pick up.

Never played this game.

Love the old operator stickers on the game - don't remove them!

All woodrails need a good going through but when tuned they play as fast as any other em - usually.

Will keep you busy over the Winter for sure

#343 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Love the thread, and seeing games I have never seen before!
Wood rails were mostly all gone by the early 60s in the wild.
So, Im thinking, Who were the young people playing these in say 1955 as an average?
Pre Rock and Roll, so it wasnt really Fonzie and Happy Days.
I mean its 60 years old, so if one was playing these in their 20's, they are now past 80.
Do we have any Pinsiders over 80?
Where were these games? A couple in a bar? Corner Soda Shop?, Not in NY, when I asked my father years ago....he didnt remember seeing any in Brooklyn.
Gotta imagine the thrill we all see on the board, for a New Stern, JJP, etc.
As we are collectors, but did a bunch of guys get excited and hang at a bar, because a new Woodrail came on location?

Well, Elvis was a player.

Playing Diamond Lill which has one of the nicest EM lightshows of any game out there. Tough game, shooting the loops. It was the Theatre of Magic of the 50's!

Elvis Playing Diamond Lill (resized).jpg

#345 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I had to pass on an opportunity to own a nice Diamond Lill. I enjoyed playing it a few times, but the loop seemed more of a novelty and once the ball got inside with the lit pop bumper, I could just walk away while it cranked up points and credits. Maybe it was how it was set up, but I found better players to choose from.
I'd play it again though, given the opportunity.

Amazing how each game is different and how set up makes all the difference. Mine is super hard to win a replay. Wish it were easier!

#349 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've had a chance to play as many as I can now, but it's kind of funny looking back as I had never played Frontiersman before I got it, but liked the look and layout from the pictures so it was very high on my short list of woodrails to buy.
It hasn't disappointed either and is actually a better player than I thought. It's the whole package all in one machine. Great art, many ways to win, but most of all a near perfect layout to play.
Without playability, they are just eye candy. And I don't have the the room or money for that. Although it would be nice.

Agree, in that playability comes before anything else. Condition next.

#353 5 years ago

Just finished my Dragonette. Really hard to beat on points! Looking for an original ball gate plastic if anyone has one?

IMG_9771 (resized).jpg

IMG_9772 (resized).jpg

#359 5 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

What's wrong with the plastic, I can't see the issue.

Well, ideally would prefer marbled original and at the moment it doesn't fit very well but unable to find 2 screws and washers like on this one.

SDC12400 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#372 5 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

'New' to me. Gottlieb's 1953 Quintette, in very nice original condition. Apron has a new decal, and two plastics are new, caps and everything else original. Just a couple small touch ups on the cab, but otherwise in amazing shape. Our friend DirtFlipper did the refreshing and tuning on this, and I was lucky to be able to pick it up from him.
Five gobble holes! But you need to light (lose your ball) up all five to win a replay/special(s). 'Spot em' feature randomly gives you one free lit at the start of game (liberal setting will spot you between 1-3, mine's set on conservative).
You can also go for sequential 1-6 caps, or for non-sequential A-D roll overs, for specials. Replays for score and points, too. Points are scored by hitting one of the five roll over buttons mid pf. These also will light a corresponding gobble hole. A lot going on.
No out lanes and a very small gap between the flippers makes it unique to what I've played before. My oldest game, and first woodrail pinball with wooden legs! Cool game.

Beautiful game. Congratulations. Love the art, the cabinet art deco look, DF restore, and overall condition.

And this is perhaps only the second game to feature a rebound special? Get 1 - 6 and alternating rebounds for special. I suspect this is very hard to do?!

Hawaiian Beauty is the other game with a rebound special.

Enjoy

#376 5 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Thanks. Yes it seems to be a challenge, so far I haven't been close to getting 1-6.

That is what is so great about the 'multiple ways to win ' games.

You can beat the game on say points, but trying to win or unlock a special can be super hard.

Adds a real depth to these games that most pinheads are totally unaware of.

1 month later
#380 5 years ago

I think this is now my favorite backglass - in the dark the colors and artwork are just beautiful.

IMG_0040 (resized).JPG

#384 5 years ago

The details in that backglass are great. I'd like to see a video of the boxer animation.
This is my favorite game now. It's much more fun because the gameplay, geometry and flippers are more unique. It plays like it did in 1949 except now it occasionally doesn't reset all the way. I'll post a video of some games on it as soon as I get the tempered backglass I ordered for it.
Bruce

Nice game.

Will try and photo all the different animations as never really looked at them closely so quite curious myself!

#386 5 years ago

The details in that backglass are great. I'd like to see a video of the boxer animation.
This is my favorite game now. It's much more fun because the gameplay, geometry and flippers are more unique. It plays like it did in 1949 except now it occasionally doesn't reset all the way. I'll post a video of some games on it as soon as I get the tempered backglass I ordered for it.
Bruce

I decided to photograph all the animations. Beautiful artwork and playing the game I hadn't realized how good it was. 10 photos to follow.

IMG_0065 (resized).JPG

IMG_0066 (resized).JPG

IMG_0067 (resized).JPG

#387 5 years ago

Continued.

IMG_0068 (resized).JPG

IMG_0069 (resized).JPG

IMG_0070 (resized).JPG

#388 5 years ago

Last few to KO. They don't make em like they used to!

IMG_0071 (resized).JPG

IMG_0072 (resized).JPG

IMG_0073 (resized).JPG

IMG_0074 (resized).JPG

#389 5 years ago

This game is just shows the quality of Gottlieb back in the 1950's. My game is all original, not high tapped etc and it plays like it must have done coming out of it's box 66 years ago. Pop bumpers have so much zip, incredible really.

I was just cleaning the pop bumpers and as I was cleaning the plunger, it struck me that this part is 66 years old, been used 10's of thousands of times and with a quick clean, it looks like it could have been made yesterday. Although no one today would combine brass and steel like they used to.

These games deserve more love

This game should still be playing nicely in a 100 years time. Scary thought really.

IMG_0057 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#402 5 years ago

Great new additions Joel

Who wouldn't want a HB?!

And love the backglass for Cyclone.

#405 5 years ago

Wow! Those are beautiful games! I love the Cyclone.
Bruce

Worth looking at the glass again - love it!

image-4 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#421 5 years ago

Very nice!

I hope one day to own this title

3 months later
#448 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Here's some pix and a video of the 1954 Gottlieb Jockey Club. Interesting is that in 1954 only, Gottlieb made a few games with a Double Award - This allowed the player to put in an additional coin at the game start to double the number of any replays won. I have a Daisy May and Hawaiian Beauty with this feature, too, which I routinely activate when playing. In a home environment, might as well hear twice the pops when winning.
First pictures show game basically as found. Cleaned up beautifully and needed the usual tweaking and shopping of a new game. Nice original glass, playfield and cabinet. Glass has a few blemishes in the upper right corner, but doesn't beg for a replacement, which isn't available, anyway. Pretty clean inside, and has an original schematic taped to the back box door.
As I like to do, I occasionally make a video of game play and host it on the Pinrescue site. All my games are under service contract with Russ and always thankful for his technical help. The video is intended to show game play and not an advertisement.
» YouTube video

Stunning game Great pick up.

Always wanted to see this title up and running.

Place your bets!

These woodrails are just so beautiful - another era, another time.

And the Double games were when Gottlieb really got close to 'gambling devices' so only a handful of games got away with this feature.

3 months later
#461 4 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Been meaning to talk about wood rails and seen some good ones. Most are still in good shape but have noticed that some are working upwards in price. It also seems like I see that word RARE sometimes also. I think flippers are starting to get into these some as the prices sometimes reflect that. I think less collectors out there for these so the prices would be easier to get. Does anyone see trouble in trying to find items for restoration projects with these? Bumpers, etc?

You can find most parts with a combination of pbr and ebay etc - make take a bit of patience , especially if you want the original marbled parts. Took me a year to find one marble ball gate!

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I have heard some horror stories about Ebay and was warned away from there. I don't like paypal at least what I have read about it.
I guess patience is what is need in restoration.
I have noticed some people have painted their wood rail pins not the true wood rail look. Better to leave it or at least try and restore it back to the like-it-was-new-appearance?

As Hoov has said, generally woodrails have greater desirability, the closer they are to original.

Best games to find are non working games as they are priced way lower. But, it is important to check that all the main components and parts are in the game. Also ideally, that the playfield is good, decent original cabinet. If backglass is not available as a repro then very important that it is pretty good.

I know that Gottlieb woodrails were built like tanks so once everything is cleaned and adjusted, no reason why they won't work for another 50 years plus.

If you are looking for nice condition, done, finished then buying off a collector is safest way.

As for parts, pretty much everything can be found although some parts are very very difficult to find - the baseballs on Grand Slam, marbled marbles on Marble Queen etc.

Watch youtube videos to see if you like the rules and gameplay as so many very different playing games.

I tend to agree with others that the pre 1955 Gottliebs are in a class of their own, although there were many many great games after this time period.

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Darn woodrail bonanza saw a classified on Mr. Pinball (old one) 135 woodrails $125.00 each if you buy all. Looked at it yesterday but they took it down.
Just wish they had pictures and what they sold for.

Ah, that is Jack. Most are project games and those ads have been appearing for years and years.

1 year later
#675 3 years ago

For anybody who owns a classic woodrail or a Neyens game, this magazine is a must have.

Fantastic, detailed interview and tons of pictures. Weighs a ton!

http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=3749

PM05-magazine (resized).jpg
3 months later
#733 3 years ago

This is how it should look.....

I have one game with this set up and finally got my counter working 100%.

This is not my game so can go look at mine if needs be.

IMG_5945 (resized).JPGIMG_5970 (resized).JPG
#736 3 years ago

It is a different part but very similar to tilt bob - just shorter - maybe 3.5 inches.

From memory I used a tilt bob and cut it shorter as it was missing on my game.

You need the other piece that hangs down.

Here are part numbers as I think I asked pbr if they had any in stock and I don't think they did.

IMG_4857 (resized).jpgPart numbers (resized).JPG
1 week later
#745 2 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

My 57 Gottlieb Super Circus has odd metal over top of the woodrails. Kinda wondered if it is original or not. Very odd...
Sorry. Didn't have a better pic off hand.
[quoted image]

Operators fitted to stop people drilling holes through cabinet to get free games.

This was never fitted by Gottlieb.

#750 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I always thought this was an effort to modernize the look of a game when the metal rail games came out? Might be able to squeeze a couple more years of profit out of it.

Interesting that the metal legs and rails were half the price of the wood, according to Neyens in his big interview!

1 month later
#768 2 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Does anybody happen to have any advice on repairing/refinishing wood legs?
If there is already a thread, I didn't see it.
While I eventually have several machines/sets to get to, this particular set I'm debating what to do with.
I'm leaving all rest of machine with all its battle scars and dings on woodrails, but legs are a little rough.
I'm not sure if I should leave rough and just make them as sound as possible, or if I should refinish entirely. Either way, I wasn't sure what to do about the splitting etc. Wood is split, but seems to be VERY hard and doesn't flex to be able to like glue and clamp...
I'll leave out the fact that they appear to be kinda warped too, for now.
Any advice?????
Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would put pour wood glue into the joints/cracks and then cramp tightly. Done that on a set of mine.

Then use this technique.

Amazing how much better they are when done, and they still have a nice aged patina.

1 month later
#804 2 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

1953 Gottlieb Flying High
Enclosing some pix and a video of a fun 5 ball game. I’m partial to the early ‘50s woodrails, especially the Neyens/Parker games.

Funny, is that while I am trying to thin the herd and sell off some of my machines and make room in the basement for the grandkids, I came across the game last week and thought it was too nice to pass up. 
I picked up this disassembled game from a friend who had it in storage in his basement. This was his “B” game, having cherry picked the best parts which were used for his “A” game keeper. Looking over the game, in my opinion, was a very good playfield, very good original glass, solid cabinet, and, upon quick review, had the necessary mechanicals. Game had replaced plastics, but needed shopping with the prerequisite need for new rubbers, balls, bolts, legs, new bumper caps, lamps, etc. Recently took it through a thorough detail and freshening.
As expected, it was dead on arrival and needed much work freeing steppers, regapping switches, and cleaning. The cabinet is the ugly duckling of the observation….it has touch ups on the front, no paint on the top of the head and the right side…well, it’s been obviously exposed to wear and tear. But, in the spirit of keeping things original, and the reality that the top of the game and both sides are not visible when in the line up, the most important part is the very good playfield, clean trap holes, strong backglass and a game hitting on all cylinders. I’m not inclined to have it repainted, nor buy a replacement glass, and will let the next owner decide if that’s what they want.
Game is lively and the wonderful part of these old woodrails is the multiple ways to win with points, scoring, and on field specials.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fun Joel

I always thought it would be too similar to Coronation but it really isn't.

Lovely looking game and I can only wonder what the A version is like

2 months later
#859 2 years ago

Diamond Lill is a fantastic playing game.

Have to nudge or it will eat you up!

I find it easier to win on single points than millions.

Here is Elvis playing it.

Could be yours!

Elvis Playing Diamond Lill (resized).jpg
2 months later
#882 2 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks to Stoomer , we have a new-to-us Gottlieb #Stagecoach and it's quickly becoming a family favorite.
[quoted image]
I explained to my wife there are multiple ways to "win" and then showed her one. Next game showed her a couple more, and so on. She's a total convert. Ha-ha! Our son is getting in on the action, too...
[quoted image]
And what an art package...
[quoted image]
Hard for me to believe this made its way into our basement. Played one at TPF2019 and figured with the low production numbers it might be a long time, if ever, before I was able to nab one. Once again, the pinball fates have smiled upon me.

Congrats.

Gottlieb were at their peak around this time and the multiple ways to win meant the player always felt close to winning.

It's a shame most pinheads just don't know how good this era of games were.

And on nice examples, the playfields are still fantastic 65 years later!

1 week later
#910 2 years ago

What an amazing timepiece!

Way better than an expensive painting on the wall.

2 months later
#979 2 years ago

Oh, it's the infamous Jack Koch hoard.

I nearly bought one or two around 4 years ago but price way too high relative to condition.

So, he finally did sell them!

Would be fun to go through that lot

#981 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I don't know for sure but doubt it. Rob Berk has a pretty huge collection that he has been slowly liquidating over the last couple years. I'm guessing this is just more of his personal stash.

Well, it does say this in the listing......

Did he buy them or just helping sell I wonder?

LOT OF 125 + WOODRAIL PINBALL MACHINE THIS IS THE COLLECTION OF JACK KOCH OF CINCINNATI,I NEED THE ROOM , I DO NOT HAVE A LIST OF GAMES, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET ,I HAVE A FEW LEGS, SOME DO NOT HAVE HEADS ,GLASS MISSING,BACK DOORS GONE, SOME DO NOT HAVE LOCKDOWN BARS ,WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT I HAVE GAMES RANGE FROM 1948 TO 1960 GOTTLIEB AND WILLIAMS , SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER,LOCAL PICKUP IS WELCOME QUESTIONS CALL ROB AT

#983 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

AH gotcha. I guess I should have read the description. At least that long awaited chapter will finally be closing. Hopefully...

Maybe

Great deal at current price but the hours you would need to put in are off the charts!

Would love whoever buys them to do a full inventory.

#985 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

How many people have the capacity or interest to store that many woodrail projects? He should have sold them years ago when the market was hotter, piece by piece.

Agree but he messed people around too much.

#989 2 years ago

I can imagine any player back in the day would choose to play Ace High if you were wanting to win credits.

And with a jackpot of 8 specials, no wonder this game has been played to death!

Easy to win but equally operators must have made a ton out of this game.

My p/f is pretty decent for this title, which is why I bought it.

IMG_6098 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#1059 1 year ago

1950 4 Horsemen.

No 10000 point bell.

People sometimes retro fitted bells to this game.

6 months later
#1174 1 year ago

Nice pick up!

Try PBR for schematics.

I would guess it is faded. Common for reds to turn yellow.

But it is strange that PARADISE is completely yellow.

Could be different inks were used?

Otherwise it looks pretty similar.
image-3 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1217 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I am surprized that o-din let Frontierman go

Yes, he said he would never sell it!!!

#1218 1 year ago

Always wanted a Frontiersman - no space anymore.

Looks like it plays similar to Ace High which is a superb player.

#1228 1 year ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Actually, the gameplay is more similar to "Wishing Well". You don't see that one very often.

Nearly bought one of those a few years ago but cabinets are chipwood and weigh a ton!

3 months later
#1278 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I have zero expierence with wood rails but always thought they look cool. There's a Poker Face at a local auction this weekend. Current bid is $500 cdn. Thoughts? Things to look out for? The pics provided aren't the best. Might have a friend check it out in person for me.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wrong coin door as well.

The red legs are pretty rare non ribbed - Gottlieb only made them for about a year. Easy to sell and get correct 31 inch wooden legs.

Not played Poker Face but people seem to really enjoy it.

image-13 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1306 1 year ago

Wow, two beautiful games!

Just lovely.

Joel, I was watching video and wondering how it would play if flippers were in a different position.

Then I saw JR's.

And so I went and found this.

Your flippers are set wrong - I am very curious if changing the angle enables a more direct shot??

image-6 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#1371 8 months ago

As far as I am aware GTB never painted their wooden legs and they were always 31 inches.

I have had games that come with Bingo legs, Williams legs and United........ had to then track down correct GTB ones.

GTB metal legs from 1955 - they were the non-ribbed variety.

Red ones were only on games for a year or two.

Flyers are a good pointer for correct legs.

See Auto-Race 1956. Non-ribbed red legs.

112f1 (resized).jpg
#1374 8 months ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I assume the same--maybe it was just something operators did back in the day to make their machines stand out.
I also just noticed that on the cabinet of Jockey Club there's a tad bit of red overspray on it around where the legs were. It's not a ton (and much less than I would have done if I had painted the legs with them on the cabinet!), but just enough to suggest that the legs weren't painted by Gottlieb (unless, I suppose, they were just touched up at some point and that was the source of the minor overspray).

The other thing I noticed after seeing PinballFever's legs from Williams Grand Champion (which has countersunk t-nuts) is that the one slightly smaller leg that I have with the Williams style leg leveler and t-nut with nails (that isn't countersunk on my leg) looks to have been poorly cut on the bottom (but they didn't countersink the t-nut!)--can kind of see the uneven cut job in the photo I posted earlier. I had assumed that Williams' legs were longer than Gottlieb ones (~32.5" if I remember right) and didn't think they made shorter ones (like the one that measures less than 31" that I have)--the poor cut job at least suggests that someone trimmed a 32.5" Williams leg to make it work with three other Gottlieb legs.
I have a spare set of Williams legs that I have been considering cutting to put on a Gottlieb that has legs on it that are too short (and no matter how much I try to stretch them, they just won't stretch!), but I have been reluctant to cut them given my worry that as soon as I do, I'll come across a Williams machine in need of legs.

Thanks!

One of the sets I had were 33 inches - operators didn't care what legs went on the games so guessing many got mixed up over the years.

1 week later
1 month later
#1418 6 months ago

https://pinballmedics.ca/product/williams-non-ribbed-chrome-legs-set-of-4/

Gottlieb were always 31 inches.

Think Williams were 28.5 non-ribbed.

And red.

http://www.pinrepair.com/wmswood/index.htm

Original Sea Wolf set.

seawolf1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside