IMG_0692 (resized).JPG
IMG_0690 (resized).JPG
1630592577680-32943075 (resized).jpg
IMG_3524 (resized).JPG
IMG_3522 (resized).JPG
IMG_3520 (resized).JPG
IMG_3519 (resized).JPG
IMG_3517 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

1950 Gottlieb Madison Square Gardens:
Recent pre-Allentown purchase, I found this pristine survivor requiring very little beyond the routine shopping to get it going.
I had never heard of the game, but I was intrigued to add another boxing themed game to the World Champ and Knock Out. Not much information about it, but from what I understand, it came out in June 1950, a few months before the more popular Knock Out.
The game has a 'boxing ring' formed by four one-way gates with the pop bumpers representing the two boxers. So, for an old game, there is a lot of "action" within this area. Backglass has light animation of boxers fighting. Nice Roy Parker artwork.
As a boxing fan, I noticed the graphic of the two boxers on the playfield is almost identical (and assumed inspiration) to one of the photos from the Marcel Cerdan/Tony Zale 9/21/48 Middleweight championship fight. Cerdan, a 2-1 underdog, becomes the first non-American to hold the Middleweight title in the 20th century. The photo of the fighters was from a French newspaper. The graphic on the playfield even has a tiny drop of blood coming from Zale's nose.

Odd cabinet graphics on that game for a boxing themed pin. I've seen others like that. For some reason, they were pushing air and space travel on their cabinets, regardless of the game's theme.

1 week later
#34 6 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Here is my latest pic. The Paleo diet has done me wonders.....gluten free!!

OldmanIn-The-GravePinball.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Man, that's sad. Do his friends call him "wingnut"?

11 months later
#66 5 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Classy Bowler looks like a keeper. Love the name 'Classy Bowler'

"Classy Bowler". Some would say that's an oxymoron!

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure if it was the flash or the cheap digital camera's interpretation of all the yellow paint spots, but this Lady Robin Hood has a very clean and what looks like original cabinet to go along with that playfield.

DSCN4436_(resized).JPG

Reminds one a bit of the cabinet art on "Bank A Ball".

1 week later
#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I suspect the only dud was Guys and Dolls with the push up posts.

"Guys Dolls" has a gorgeous cabinet though!

#170 5 years ago

Wayne is a treasure. I was honored to get a Christmas card from him this past Christmas. God bless him!

1 week later
#186 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They made six games with score reels but then decided that idea probably would never fly. They added those dummy reels so people would still feel they were scoring millions of points. Looks like our friend Vic had a Gun Club at one time.

Yes, he did. I remember him getting this game. Vic is not a woodrail kind of guy. He sold it to someone somewhere. I wish I would have grabbed it. He also had a Williams "Naples". Somebody drove from Colorado to get it. It's the only one I've ever seen. I doubt I'll ever see another one.

#187 5 years ago

Some games are just nice to look at, and nothing more. They are works of art that you can play.

#200 5 years ago

Awesome cabinet graphics on that game. Real sweet all around.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

Putting the finishing touches on my Gottlieb Quartette. ..cab was falling apart and everything mechanical was coated in grease. Im happy with the result. Win by score, points, completing the number sequence, and light the super special for 5 replays.

"Quartette". Not sure if I ever played one. It looks like a cross between "Niagara" and "Show Boat".

#227 5 years ago

My brother played eight woodrail games last night that he had never played before.
There were a couple that he had never even seen before. They are at the home of a very well known person in the hobby.
Yours truly had the opportunity as well, but crapped out and stayed home. I'm really stupid!

#228 5 years ago

Working from memory, here's the list.
"Shindig"
"Flying High"
"Mystic Marvel"
"Daisy May"
"Joker"
"Marble Queen"
"Lovely Lucy"
"K.C. Jones"

#232 5 years ago

Ya need to get out next time with that kind of list

Yeah, and those are only the ones he's never played before. The list of the other woodies he got to play includes "Mermaid" and many others! What's wrong with me?

#234 5 years ago

I played Shay's "Daisy May" many years ago. I don't really remember much about it. I'll ask my brother about it. Yeah, that's a pretty unique and strange flipper arrangement. I'd learn to live with it in any case though since I would love to own a "Daisy May".

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm rating this 1957 Arrow Head pretty high in game play right now. It's got a neat layout that allows some decent ball times and a lot of fun. The playfield is not perfect, but I may never see another one of these in my lifetime so I'm not complaining. It's got a kicker between the flippers that shoots up at the center gobble hole, but with nudging you can get it to avoid it unless it is lit where you may want it. It is also neat that it keeps track of balls played on the backglass. Plenty of flipper and playfield power on this 50 volt game. I had to check it for high tap, but no it's not.

I wouldn't complain about that playfield. Of the few of these games I've ever seen, the others have had much worse wear. You're lucky.

1 month later
#285 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm thinking about maybe this one next. Whenever it's ready.

Before you pitch that game off that balcony, I'll take it!

2 months later
#325 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

That game is so brutal, I felt like a clown when I played it.

One of the very toughest games to beat for sure!

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Looks like a good one! Upper pf looks neat, love the four flippers. Never seen/played one before though.

I have a friend who has one of these. Very good player and fantastic looking game too!

3 weeks later
#379 5 years ago

Helping my buddy with this game. Luckily it seems like it's all there and working properly. Don't know about the availability of parts for this game, but many items are similar to Gottlieb. I've seen maybe three or four of these ever. Anyone out there have one?

20161014_222601 (resized).jpg

20161014_222608 (resized).jpg

20161014_222635 (resized).jpg

20161014_222647 (resized).jpg

10 months later
#464 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Going to share a couple of photos of my new kitten (Mo)
discovering my (dusty) woodrail collection.

Mo almost doesn't look real!

4 months later
#476 3 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

So my buddy has a 1940 era blonde I know very little , fully working good condition..
What is the price range please and thank you

You're talking about Chicago Coin "Blondie"? Maybe really nice, $450 or so. Not exactly a legendary title, but one that's not really seen often.

2 months later
#484 3 years ago

Very nice first woodie, but a really tough game to beat. I don't own one.

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Just got this Jig Saw from a buddy in trade. Happy to have it.

That's gotta be one of the nicest examples of that game I've ever seen!

1 week later
#498 3 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Can anyone give me advice how to create a stencil, or finding a stencil to recreate the paint job?

I painted one of these a long time ago.
I had a good cabinet from which to make a stencil. I used frisket film which was slightly tacky, and traced the design from the good cabinet. It was a difficult one to do because of all the narrow, parallel curved lines. The end result came out pretty well though.

1 month later
#511 3 years ago

Picked this one up today. Moving sale.

20180408_144708 (resized).jpg

20180408_144659 (resized).jpg

IMG956875 (resized).jpg

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Nice pickup. Will you be removing the metal flipper guards or leaving them on?

I'll see what it looks like underneath.
I'm hoping that the playfield looks good under those pop bumper vinyl rings.

#515 3 years ago
Quoted from waltrr:

Pretty nice looking Gypsy Queen, makes me want to set mine back up again. If I only had more space...
ENJOY!!

Thanks. The backglass is nearly perfect. The game did play, but it's going to need a total going through.
Guy said he had it for 40 years.

#525 3 years ago

I've seen "Triumph" before, but not "Swing". Those older games are really good looking and probably more fun than one might think.

#546 3 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Would you triple thick this 1938 Swing back glass?

I'm about to Triple Thick my recently acquired 1955 "Gypsy Queen" backglass which is nearly perfect.
I've done other perfect backglasses before with no ill effects, and it's good insurance for the future of the glass, perhaps even decades from now.
It's your call though.

#552 3 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Re triple thicking back glass. Leaning toward doing it because it does have flaws, including one scratch, in the black parts that I would like to touch up. And thinking that touching up on the back side of triple thick is safer than trying to touch up directly on the glass. Also, the wood light panel is rubbing in a few places, and going to use felt spacers on the face of the wood to protect the glass. Would rather have the felt resting on the TT than on the glass.

"Gypsy Queen" backglass is done.
It took all of about ten minutes to do it.
Woodrail glasses are easy because there is only the replay window to mask. Now I can touch up the minor issues it has after letting it dry thoroughly for a couple of days.

20180414_170332 (resized).jpg
20180414_170348 (resized).jpg

#555 3 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Would you triple thick this 1938 Swing back glass?

Hmm... Just noticed that none of that scene with the women prancing around is backlit on that glass. Only the scoring and tilt are. Not even the name!

#557 3 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I was hoping you guys could help me out on what the going rate for a 1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam would be. Cabinet is original, backglass is a Shay repro and the playfield is very nice with a few touch ups. Any help would be appreciated.

Any photos?

#560 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Based on your pics and assuming there are no serious hidden flaws
I think that pin should command a minimum of $1000

Easily. Maybe quite a bit more even.

1 month later
1 month later
#628 3 years ago

A lucky day for that old pin when your son picked it up. Very nice, and a great video too!

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Surprised that they didn't make a Yul Brynner pinball. They could now it would say "So shall it be written, so shall it be played!"

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1378&picno=31719
This, maybe?

1 week later
#644 3 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

Possibly from the Silverman auction?

Yup. (not my stuff)

#648 3 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

gorgeous collection of pins tom , i didnt realize you had a spot pool too . i bought that one in allentown this year , have it fully working , i have someone that is going to do that repair on the center marking on the playfield , once i strip it down .
im glad im not the only one with both a skill pool and a spot pool .

Had my eye on that "Spot Pool" at Pinfest. Glad you got it.

#651 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

My favorite restoration, from a couple of years back - a '52 Gottlieb Happy Days, a real favorite when I was a kid. It apparently sat for years derelict in a shed in Mississippi with a bunch of other woodrails when the Coinopwarehouse folks found it.

No playfield glass, so the playfield was a total mess - scratched, filthy and worn, the rubbers all melted onto the surface, and the plastics completely toasted. Luckily the unique playfield inserts and most of the bumper caps were still there.
Relays and other parts had been cannibalized, some coils were fried, plus a hard-to-find mis-wire that took a friend & I many hours to sort out.

Playfield cleaning underway.

As would have been expected, the backglass was in bad shape as well.

On the other hand, the cabinet was in excellent condition.

After lots of touchups to the playfield and new plastics. And a new backglass from Shay Arcade Group. Turned out pretty good.

Turned out great, Tom! Kudos to you for rescuing another classic.
But, what happened to the other games in that shed? I see a "Frontiersman" and a "Lady Luck" in there!

#660 3 years ago

I think that's a bit high. It's a fairly common woodrail title, not a terribly good player, and considering it's condition and the going rate for woodrails lately, I'd say it's worth about $650 on the high side.

1 week later
#662 3 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

1953 Gottlieb Flying High. Photographed 2 of the leg adjusters that are on my pin. Can they be identified? The one on the left has a patent number which is unreadable, only can read "Patent ___ 5999". The one on the right has no script.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I've never seen the type pictured on the left. I have several of the type on the right.

2 months later
#673 3 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

You can compare your machine to the one on IPDB that is also supposedly a prototype:
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=dancing+dolls&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5902
That cab is strange...I don't recognize it from any other GTB titles, although I could be not thinking of a few, and it doesn't appear to be a wedgehead, yet the cabinet and head pattern match. So the theory that someone threw this in a used cabinet from a later game seems less likely in this case. I've seen that type of thing alot...

This has been discussed already here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-dancing-dolls-prototype#post-4573362

1 week later
#678 3 years ago

Something you don't see often. A $100 Williams Reno woodrail for sale in Ohio on the closed FB group, "Pinball for Sale". (There's already interest in it from a local Ohio pinballer)[quoted image]

Bought a "Reno" about ten years ago out of a garage in southern NJ for $100. Mine was in better condition that this one.

1 month later
#694 2 years ago

It doesn't look bad actually.

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It doesn't look bad actually.

And nice work on the restoration!

2 months later
#764 2 years ago

Metal parts are cheaper! That's why they switched from wood.

5 months later
#864 2 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Bruce Z was nice enough to sell me the coin drop plate - still need the chute assembly to go on the back side.

Damn. Did you get this game after Pinfest? Jeff M. had a big box of those coin chutes in the flea market.

1 month later
#872 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Kings is looking much better with some new plastics from Shay and Titan rings. Not to mention a lot of cleaning. Just need a few parts and it should look real nice. Play is good, but a couple pop bumpers need some work. I'll hold off until I get the new parts though. Only other issue is about 20% of the time that I hit the million point shot the score just keeps going until the game is over (I usually just drain the remaining balls). Doesn't matter which side the points were scored on. Any thoughts? Thanks![quoted image]

Damn, that game is nice!
It was on my radar, but just didn't feel like driving down there that weekend. I'm glad it ended up with you and is getting some love.
If you're going to York, bring it for woodrail row.

#877 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I purchased it for $70 at one of the David Silverman auctions a few years back.

Ah, yes. That final auction where the games were going fast and cheap. That was a truly memorable event. Something that might occur once in a lifetime for a pinball enthusiast. I'm glad I went, and I picked up some games too. I've seen a few others from that auction turn up here and there.

#887 2 years ago
Quoted from dropdeadhippie:

Just put up a couple vids on King Arthur. Cool game.

[quoted image]

Is this the one that appeared at the York show several years ago?
I fell in love with it there. Gorgeous game, and you did a remarkable restoration on it! It's on my wanted list now.

#906 2 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Wow, that makes me feel a lot better about my playfield.

Yeah, that's what the playfield on these typically look like. You got a steal on yours.

4 weeks later
#936 2 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

this game is tonnes of fun. Still haven't gotten to the final all-specials sequence yet.[quoted image]

Oooh. Would love to find me a "Regatta". It's on my wishlist.

2 weeks later
#949 1 year ago
Quoted from singlezero:

im crossing my fingers for that prototype tenspot next year

I hope it comes to Pinfest next year.

#959 1 year ago

Probably black ox coating. '60s Bally pins had black metal components, such as stepper frames. Bingos had them too.

1 month later
#987 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

have left is a '57 Ace High. It's complete, but a total project. Hopefully, I'll get to it someday

I have an "Ace High" project as well.
It actually works, the cabinet is decent, and I have a new backglass. The playfield has a good amount of wear. I'd love for this one to be remade. Maybe if we get enough interest, we can have it repro'd.

#990 1 year ago

It's usually the white areas in front of the targets, and the area in front of the flippers that are worn on this playfield. On mine, the hot red head on the left has no face either!

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

After playing AABs for so long, I find myself not being
able to get into Replay machines so much..

Yay add-a-balls!

1 week later
#1034 1 year ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Here’s a pretty one:
denver.craigslist.org link

That's nice. Gotta love those "side paddles"!

3 weeks later
#1043 1 year ago
Quoted from tomcons:

To follow up, I got a decent scan of the Genco Three Feathers to work from, so here's the completed art. The grey shows the areas where the glass will be silvered.
Now I'm looking for some help in restoring the art for a '51 Williams Shoot The Moon. This glass has been chipped and shattered by kids who used it for target practice with a bb gun as well as throwing at it with the steel balls. I need a couple of good hi-res pics of the girls on the left and the lower right corner. The pics available on line at IPDB and other sites don't have the needed resolution. Anybody with this game that can help out? It'll be much appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

I guess those kids took the name of the game literally. Their aim leaves a bit to be desired though.

#1048 1 year ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think Steve Young at Pinball Resource owns that game, though do not know if he will go out of his way to take hi-res photos?

I don't think they made a hi-res Polaroid camera!

2 weeks later
#1057 1 year ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

This is from the 1953 manual. Hope it helps.[quoted image]

Man, I've never seen anything like that; how the bell is mounted and that type of clapper.

1 week later
#1071 1 year ago
Quoted from Idahojerry:

My Dad picked up this Gottlieb Derby Day in about 1963. All original, with only new rubbers over the years and new pop bumper skirts.[quoted image]

Another title which always seems to have a good backglass.

1 week later
#1076 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

My new plastics came in from Pinball Rescue! The quality is top notch!![quoted image]

Pinball Rescue is the best!

#1077 1 year ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Having my first pinball shipped to me. I am excited as I think it will clean up nicely, playfield art looks great and the backglass is perfect. What else can you ask for?[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice score, Matt. IMHO, this is the most wedgehead-like Gottlieb woodrail. Where is it coming from?

#1081 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Who is shipping a Pin for $100??? I hope it arrives ok!

Yeah, that was my next question!

#1082 1 year ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Thanks, I just happened to check facebook two minutes after it was posted, lol.

No gobble holes! It is shipping from New Jersey. I almost made the drive but $100 to ship it would save me the gas, tolls and a rare day off. Based on the backglass and the apron it should clean up real nice. I will be bringing it to Pintastic this year along with Chinatown.

Where in NJ? I just delivered a game down there on Monday. Didn't have to pay any tolls at all (I-287).

#1086 1 year ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Rockaway, NJ - When I told my wife I bought a machine in NJ she wasn't happy my day off would be spent driving there, lol.

Ah. Know it well. I used to work down there.

2 months later
#1124 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Shorter #55 bulbs were sometimes used in pop bumpers to move the filament away from the bumper cap. It helped keep the cap a bit cooler and may have avoided the common burn spot on the underside of the cap. Cooler #47 bulbs are another option.

#55s are HOT! Use #51s, the smaller globe round lamps. I always use them for the pop bumpers.

1 week later
#1129 1 year ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Nice job on that PF!
Question for the group, has anyone discussed trying to get the PF for Jigsaw reproduced? The made a ton of these, I would think there are lots of owners out there that would like a nicer one.

I'd be in for one. I'd love to see Gottlieb "Ace High" repro'd as well.
Every one I've come across has considerable wear.

1 month later
#1146 1 year ago

Wow. That's a fabulous lineup, Tom. Is your Williams "Trade Winds" a repaint? I've never seen the non-wedgehead version with original paint, but I've always suspected that the cabinet base color is light blue, not white. Does it also have a deep blue playfield, unlike the lighter blue one normally seen?

#1157 1 year ago
Quoted from tomcons:

I am looking for a Genco Trade Winds if anyone has one. The one I have is badly hacked.

I looked up Genco "Trade Winds" on IPDB, and it's interesting that there are two distinct cabinet types for this game. It's quite a coincidence that Williams "Trade Winds" is also found in two distinct cabinet types.

#1158 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll say! And my playfield is way nicer than that one.
[quoted image]

Yeah, but I have the original deep blue backglass! Shay wanted to borrow mine to make a repro, but I told him to just make all the light blue areas deep blue.
I don't know of anyone else who has an original one. Funny thing though; I bought the game not realizing the difference. It was only upon driving home with it and talking to my brother about it that we realized that this one has a different colored backglass.

4 weeks later
#1170 1 year ago

Can anyone shed some light on what games were originally equipped with 1-1/8" pinballs, or exactly when the transition to the modern 1-1/16" pinball took place?
I would think each manufacturer transitioned at different times, but probably around the same time.
I recently came across a 1949 machine which still had 1-1/8" balls in it. I'm pretty sure they are original, and are in surprisingly good condition.

4 weeks later
#1193 1 year ago

Not sure if it's the same on a Williams, but on Gottliebs there's an NC switch on either the one or ten point relay. As soon as points are scored, the switch momentarily opens, which releases the ball gate.

1 week later
#1226 1 year ago

Always wanted a Frontiersman - no space anymore.
Looks like it plays similar to Ace High which is a superb player.

Actually, the gameplay is more similar to "Wishing Well". You don't see that one very often.

1 week later
#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from PrinzFred:

Picked up these fun games. Planning on keeping the Casino. The Big Hit is spoken for. If anyone interested in Guys and Dolls, I will contribute to Pinside if sold here.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow. They all look very nice. Love the cabinet art on "Guys Dolls". Very colorful.

2 months later
#1279 10 months ago

Rare to find one with the original front door. Most have the generic one with the concentric rectangles. If the one you show is your game, consider yourself lucky.
I don't think I've seen one yet (until now) with the correct coin door.
The legs are likely Williams woodrail legs. Non-ribbed, painted red.

#1280 10 months ago

PS. Thanks for the photo. Now I know how to paint mine when the time comes!

#1282 10 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

PS. Thanks for the photo. Now I know how to paint mine when the time comes!

Well, I just checked, and the ipdb photo shows the correct front door as well.

#1290 10 months ago
Quoted from tomcons:

Going over a '52 Gottlieb Hit 'N' Run for a friend. Pretty filthy.
[quoted image][quoted image]
Cabinet cleaned up nice with xxxx steel wool and Greased Lightning cleaner, followed by Howard's Feed N Wax. [quoted image][quoted image]
The playfield was also really dirty, with some lost veneer, sunken rollovers, chipped bumper skirts, and missing plastics. [quoted image]
Playfield also cleaned up well, used Novus 2. [quoted image]
The unique '1 Base When Lit' bumper caps were goners. So new caps with decals printed on clear printable vinyl film w/adhesive backing. Bumpers repaired, rollovers leveled. (Plastics on order.) [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work, Tom!

1 week later
#1303 10 months ago

Thanks for sharing this. I was fortunate enough to come across one of these as well, earlier this year.
While not as nice as your wonderfully restored version, mine is in very nice all original condition, and plays well. It's my only Genco ever, and my oldest working pin. The backglass is original, and presents fairly well, but has been heavily repaired. Now that I know about the repro glass, I plan to replace mine, but I have to decide if I want to be naughty or nice!

20201209_165536 (resized).jpg20201209_165646 (resized).jpg20201209_165719 (resized).jpg
#1305 10 months ago

Santa's watching you as he makes his list!

Then I'll wait until after Christmas to decide!

1 month later
#1323 8 months ago

Steve, good to see you again. That's a great video of your Singapore.
BTW, how was the RV trip?

Yeah, welcome back. Forgot to list him in the "Whatever happened to..." thread. Always love looking at that "Singapore" restoration video. Very impressive work.

3 weeks later
#1332 7 months ago

I just learned something watching American Pickers. 1960 Gottlieb "Wagon Train" is actually from the late '40s!

#1334 7 months ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I saw that too. Oh well. Just a decade off. Caught a glimpse of a Williams Quarterback and a Williams Ringer too. Many other games there.

It would be the first instance in history where a TV show copied a pinball machine, right down to the likeness of the starring actor!

There was an "Ice Revue"/"Show", and a "King of Diamonds"/"Diamond Jack" (only the cabinets were visible), and a "Bank a Ball" too.

2 weeks later
#1336 7 months ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Had been kind of ignoring my one wood rail, just played it once in a while the last year or so. Had a number of small nagging issues. But decided to give it a complete tune up last week and it’s playing better than ever. Has one small intermittent glitch that I couldn’t completely fix. But it doesn’t affect play. Really has brought back the fun of playing it. And while I have done and learned a lot about play field repair and touch up since I bought this game. Still not willing to take a chance on making a mistake with this play field. So will just continue to keep it well waxed and enjoy it as is.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's a good 'un. I think it's equally as hard to find in good condition as is "Mermaid".

1 week later
#1346 7 months ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Looks like Wagon Train

That was my immediate guess as well.

1 month later
#1362 5 months ago

Some Williams woodrails had red wooden legs for sure.

#1370 5 months ago

Both of my 1953 Williams Grand Champions have red legs. I've seen blue legs on Grand Champions too.
I bought new levelers and mounting plates from PBR too.
[quoted image]

Save those old original levelers!

1 month later
#1403 4 months ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Wagon Train is heading West!
1,900 miles to go.
[quoted image]

But it's doing it "the modern way!"

8b99d06f251a4ba623cb032a11018ba2 (resized).jpg
#1405 4 months ago
Quoted from HFK:

Probably my favorite episode.

There's so many great ones. I like the Mambo one.

1 week later
#1412 3 months ago

I call that game "the most wedgehead-like woodrail".
On the other hand, "Sweet Hearts" would make a passable woodrail.
Nice pick up.

2 weeks later
#1416 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have them around someplace, but a quick question on Williams 1958 Gusher.
Are the legs 28.5" Also I'm thinking they're suppose to be red, and should Sea Wolf's
legs be red?
Thanks for any responses..

Both should have red metal legs.
The original legs splayed out a bit in order to provide adequate spacing between games placed in a row. I believe they are 31" legs.

#1420 3 months ago
#1423 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Damn, I checked and have a few older looking red legs, and all but one were 31"
When Gusher came in, I'm pretty sure they were freshly painted legs, so I figured
not any of those 31s came with Gusher, so I just sanded, primed, and painted some
28.5" Last Fall while cleaning and clearing out the addition's upstairs, things got shuffled.
In the Winter I'll be doing more extensive projects, but Gusher was shopped when getting
in, so it should be a fairly quick freshening upper and the next rainy day(s) project..
[quoted image]

"I see a chrome leg, and I want to paint it red..."

#1425 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Thinking 28.5" was the way to go and only finding one in red, I grabbed a set of old looking
28.5" light gray legs (probably C.C.) and painted them red.
Not sure how many, but I know there's extra legs stached in the far corner where I got them..

Maybe I need to sing it.

#1428 3 months ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I got it. Stones, Paint it Black......
By the way, the original legs are a little different design from later styles. The bottom is formed by bending both sides into the middle. Then a separate threaded plate is spot welded that accepts the leveler. I also noticed they a slightly more flimsy than later 70s style. The steel is a bit thinner.

I have to look at ones I have.
I know what you mean about the base. Some are square at the base, and some are kind of rounded off.

#1434 3 months ago

These are non ribbed, rounded base, and just a hair under 31".
I can't recall which game they came from.

20210723_131359 (resized).jpg20210723_131408 (resized).jpg
#1435 3 months ago

Give me a minute.

#1436 3 months ago

Has to be either "Arrow Head", "Rocket", "Reno", or "Jig Saw".
"Arrow Head" seems to be the first Williams pinball game with metal legs.

#1438 3 months ago
Quoted from Mopar:

btw: I took the pic waist high so JR would ride my ass about those damn ribs..

I like ribs!

1 month later
#1486 56 days ago

That was a common generic door for Williams woodrail games. I have one on my "Tim Buc Tu".

#1501 52 days ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

Thanks! I have a Gottlieb criss cross that also has the abandoned “game over” in the artwork. I figured the match would be the way to go for pulling voltage at the right time, but hadn’t dug into it yet.

Ditto on my '57 Gottlieb "Royal Flush". Did the modification years ago.

1630592577680-32943075 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1527 38 days ago

Genco most definitely used impulse flippers on many of their games.

#1529 38 days ago

I once owned a Genco "Camel Caravan", and it had impulse flippers. I believe it's from 1947.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside