20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#699 5 years ago

I was given a 1959 Golden Bells by a friend a while ago. The art is down the the wood in some spots and knowing how much of a failure my attempt at touch ups were on a different game I decided to clean and the clear it instead.

I put new rings on it and it’s in the queue to get made functional. From memory, a relay locks on when it gets powered up and a few other things. Might need new springs on some steppers.

The saddest thing is the game came with the glass out of the head and between two pieces of cardboard. When we took it out and held it upright about 75% of the art slid right off. I took a few pictures of the glass of a nice example at TPF and plan on recreating the art for mine from that. Won’t be perfect, but will exist.

Lastly, the game came with the instruction card for “21” and after reading that I thought it was interesting. Saw some videos and a few months later one went up for sale about 150 miles away. They wanted a lot, like a lot a lot, and wouldn’t budge even though the cab art was gone and it wasn’t working. Maybe some day.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#703 5 years ago

Is there a startup sequence documented somewhere? I have a paper version of the schematic and had that scanned a while ago to have posted to ipdb, but can’t find it in my email. It should be there somewhere so I’ll keep digging.

I know there is a lot to clean in mine, but if I can start looking to see what might be keeping it from starting a game that might be a nice guide.

9 months later
#912 4 years ago

Is there a Golden Bells owner that would be able to scan their backglass? Mine had been stored poorly before I got it and the art all fell off.

I had a playfield scanned at a printing place for about $25, and I would cover a fee similar to that.

For now I’d like to just print a translite so I can at least see scores and pretend the art is real.

10 months later
#1186 3 years ago

What is this called? Specifically the gate that has a coil attached. When activated it allows the balls to go to the lifter. I have a Golden Bells that I am trying to bring back to life and I can get it to start a game (sort of) but when it does this coil is locking on. I have the schematic, but not sure what name I’m looking for.

4C2FD5B4-3208-4037-BF47-FB573613BE69 (resized).png4C2FD5B4-3208-4037-BF47-FB573613BE69 (resized).png
#1190 3 years ago

Ah, ok. Good info. It didn’t come on at all until recently when cleaning some switches. Now it never releases, so I will try to figure out what stack the release switch is on and double check that.

#1197 3 years ago

I made some progress, but it seems I have a new issue that I can't quite figure out. When the game is trying to start, the score motor spins, then stops, and the 100k reset coil is locked on. I think it is because the score motor is not stopping where it should. The Index switch stack is in the groove/notch in the schematic, but is halfway between two groves when it actually stops. Looking at the Index stack it makes sense that the 100k coil is locked on. Any guidance here would be great since I'm pretty stumped at this point.

EDIT: Well, looking at the Index switch stack again (zone B23), maybe it is stopping at the right point. But then what else would lock that coil on? Back to hunting in the schematics.

Golden Bells Schematic.pdfGolden Bells Schematic.pdf

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

This might work better in its own topic...
Does the Reset relay fire? It looks like the Reset relay should fire when the 100k unit resets to 0. The Reset relay then fires the Start Latch relay which I think should cut power to the 100k reset solenoid.
/Mark

The 100k unit zero switch is closed but the reset relay does not activate. If I do that manually everything shuts off. All power, even the GI.

#1201 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

That's the only switch that can fire the Reset relay. Does the Reset relay fire if you jumper around the switch (from the yellow wire to the white-blue wire)?

It does not. Also,
I get continuity when I probe those tabs.

#1203 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Continuity doesn't tell you much in this case. If you unplug the game and clip your probes to the yellow and white-blue wires on either side of that 100k closed at zero switch, some meters will tell you there's continuity even if the switch is open.
[quoted image]
The reason is that there is another path through the Reset relay coil, fuse and transformer. Continuity just means there's a low resistance (usually less than 20-40 ohms) path between the probes. If you check the resistance between those wires instead you'll read something like 25-40 ohms through the coil and transformer but an ohm or less if the path is going through the switch. Which is it?
If you can jumper from the solder lug on the Reset relay coil with the white-blue wire to the yellow wire and the Reset relay doesn't fire the coil may be open. Otherwise there's probably a problem getting through the 100k unit.

Ok, that makes sense. When I have white-blue hooked up to yellow-blue (is that blue?) I get 0.8 ohms. I did move around to maybe green-X and yellow-X and got 40 ohms. Those don’t connect through this switch, but did show what you described about being able to be a complete circuit, but take a long path to get there.

I’ll rotate pics if it will let me, but not working before I post.

ACC32FC1-32F4-47F7-9074-315B0D002F17 (resized).jpegACC32FC1-32F4-47F7-9074-315B0D002F17 (resized).jpegF670A697-E0FA-451A-9C74-3F98DA4C4885 (resized).jpegF670A697-E0FA-451A-9C74-3F98DA4C4885 (resized).jpeg

#1205 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Are you sure that's the right switch? There are apparently at least two:
[quoted image]
The first one (that you're looking for) looks to me to be a wiper on a contact board. The second one looks more like a plain old switch. What does the label behind the switch say?

I don’t know how that means a wiper, but the part of the wiper that is tied to the white-blue lug was getting 40 ohms, so open at the wiper and closed going the long way? I pushed down on it and it went to zero ohms. I’ll toy with it tomorrow when everyone is awake. Appreciate the look.

#1222 3 years ago

So, what are the rules for Golden Bells?

https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1045&picno=1019

I got this game with sunken inserts and worn to the wood art so I cleared it. I recently got it to live again and was playing it last night and realized I don’t think I have all of the information. There are 9 bells and those light when certain (unknown to me as of yet) switches are hit. There are also triangles that advance being lit when you hit a variety of targets labeled advance.

Wondering if my lack of art on the inserts was the issue I went to IMDB. No numbers (my thinking is that each bell has a certain switch that turns it on) on any of the inserts. Also, none that I can see in the non-faded art of the plastics that some of mine are showing to be very faded.

How do I light specific bells?
Is there something that happens when you light them all?
There is red art that has the words “spots when lit” next to several inserts. Is that spotting one of three letters in front of the gobble hole when you hit the lit target?
Does a lit triangle above a lit bell mean you should do something?
Maybe that lights one of those inserts?

Cool game, but I’m sort of flying blind.

#1230 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The schematic is a little confusing because it refers to an Advance Unit and a Selection Unit but I think they're the same thing. Basically though I think that the lights in the triangles advance as you hit playfield targets. They indicate which bell will light if you hit a Spot target. It's similar to Magic City/Town or likely many other games.
The triangle lights advance when you hit any of the 8 playfield advance switches or the center pop bumper.
A bell next to the lit triangle will light when either
- a right spotting switch or the right eject hole is activated OR
- a left spotting switch or the left eject hole is activated (these two alternate - only the lit set of switches will work)
The flyer on IPDB.com describes when specials are awarded. There are also credits awarded for a match or replay level.

Quoted from ArgosySK:

For the special lights
light any 5 bell in a row to light 1st special
light any 7 bell in a row to light 2nd special
light all 10 bell in a row to light 3rd special
Center hole to collect specials

Wow, thanks! You both provided lots of info that I hadn’t picked up on just by playing.

The only thing now is to try and figure out why the 6v fuse holder is showing 18V (AC) when I put the black lead on the transformer case. If there is a better place for this I’m all ears. I only care because it blows the 6v fuse in about 30 seconds.

2 months later
#1259 3 years ago

Do these types of targets have a specific name and does anyone know where I can get some? I’d like to get the original logos, but will take unmarked generics if that’s my only option.

253F5B23-A0B0-4F11-A0AD-64E5A0BC4213 (resized).jpeg253F5B23-A0B0-4F11-A0AD-64E5A0BC4213 (resized).jpeg
#1261 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Stud targets, look towards the bottom of this page....
http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm
Could buy plain white and try to paint or the bell.

Perfect, thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.