Quoted from BeachPickle:
From my limited experience, it seems there was a misguided era of “restoration/preservation” where people unfortunately used oil based Polly on the playfields. The factory lacquer will of course yellow over time, but nowhere near the
Sooooo I took a huge chance a few years ago. Had a Spot Bowler that had been shellacked or lacquered. I don't think it was poly. I used denatured alcohol, a plastic putty knife, one of those kitchen scrubby's that look like someone took a piece of plastic string and wound it into tiny curls. NOT a scotchpad. Then very carefully working one area at a time, applied the alcohol, let it soak for a few minutes, used the scrubby lightly to roughen it up, then carefully the plastic putty knife. At the end of a full weekend, was able to remove everything. Did a small amount of paint damage, but very little. The dark blue did develop a whitish haze in places, but after a couple of waxings and some time, it turned back to blue. Pics below are before - top, after - bottom, and the after was just after the first waxing.
BTW: These days I do a lot of paint touch up on some 60's and mostly 70's games. But always been afraid to try it on this game.
2016-10-30 00.01.43 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_9156 (resized).JPG