20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Anybody care to guess what they do?

Spare solenoids for 20 Fords' from 1965 to 1983 (or so)

2 months later
#281 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep. Nice view eh?

Going all out, there O-din? Bigger home for more pins?

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nope. That is one neighborhood I'll never be able to afford. The pins maybe, but not the house. Nice place to visit though.

Yaa and the neighbors would complain when you try to water the lawn (Ehm) from that balcony.

1 year later
#481 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Any comments on this game?

Only 750 made, can not be many left. Unique cabinet and legs. Has a Secret Special when both Players Match. The ad states, it needs work. There are 4 Pinsiders with this game listed in their collections, and one is the GTA.

2 months later
#534 6 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

And worst of all broken plunger / ball cover bracket.

Is that plunger housing made from pot metal? If it is. you might want to try that metal epoxy stuff JB Weld.

2 months later
#614 5 years ago

Flying High, this is a work in progress. Although I have had this game for more than a year, just have not spent a lot of time on it. Currently it is stuck in re-set. Every coil is/was stuck with a combo of grease, oil, and graphite. Bought a replacement backglass, it looks great! A long weekend is approaching, so I will be working on it again.

DSCN1462 (resized).JPGDSCN1462 (resized).JPG

The lock down bar has been lightly sanded, stained, and cleared. The rails, legs, and back box trim will be done eventually.

1 month later
#661 5 years ago

1953 Gottlieb Flying High. Photographed 2 of the leg adjusters that are on my pin. Can they be identified? The one on the left has a patent number which is unreadable, only can read "Patent ____ _5999". The one on the right has no script.

20180728_142211 (resized).jpg20180728_142211 (resized).jpg
20180728_142224 (resized).jpg20180728_142224 (resized).jpg

#663 5 years ago

Thinking, that the one on the left is from some kind of furniture, or a hardware store replacement.

1 month later
#664 5 years ago

Here is another 1953 Flying High question.

DSCN1600 (resized).JPGDSCN1600 (resized).JPG

The 2 upper Blue and White Passive Bumpers, do they use a different bulb? The 47's are to tall. Is it possible that the white body has shrunk/melted, as it appears these 2 bulbs stay on all the time.

#669 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I don't know if they stay on all the time but buy a box of #51's They put out the perfect glow in the caps and I call them "shorty bulbs" Trust me they looked awesome in all my games especially Slick Chick.

Thanks Dan, that solved the problem.

1 week later
#682 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballPianist:

I am looking forward to see the "Whirlygig" (ramp) in action!

Yes, a ramp and a single flipper, can't wait to see it in action.

#686 5 years ago

Can you identify this Coin Door? Here is a hint, Pinside does not have it as a listed game.

DSCN1602 (resized).JPGDSCN1602 (resized).JPG
It was in the Flying High parts game I bought.

#688 5 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

I believe it's from Watch My Line. What a crazy playfield layout.

Yes, that is the answer. It has a 1930's style figure 8 playfield. Can't be that many left. 1 Pinsider had or has 1.

3 months later
#748 5 years ago

Metal covers also covered over the cigarette burns, and prevented burns. Saving the costs of sanding out burns and re finishing the wood rails.
AlexF is correct as the metal rails also up date the game a bit, to extend the pins service life. Also as Stoomer states adds armour to the game.

#749 5 years ago
Quoted from weeze:

I just picked up a '59 Gottlieb "Sraight Shooter". Around the complete lower cabinet, at the top just up to the top rails, there is a strip about 2 " wode that has a seperate pattern of paint then the rest of the cabinet. This would be the two sides and the front. Ok, so this pattern, the paint is a lot brighter then the rest of the cabinet and has a quite profoud stright line along the horizontal "bottom" of this pattern that makes it look like this game from day one had some sort of material OVER the cabinet. like a strip of metal sort of. so the paint underneath didnt fade like the rest of the cabinet , if this makes sense.
Also right in what looks like this covered area of the cabinet there are screw holes about every 7 inchs.
Di the game actually have some sort of aluminum, steel. or something else that was attached to the cabinet for some sort of curb appeal?
Thanks folks.
Weeze
[quoted image]

Added to prevent someone from drilling into the game, to block access to the playfield roll overs. They painted the home made guards, and did quite creatively.

#752 5 years ago

Here is a hole worked into my Flying High. A wire could be pushed through to trip a 'Points' switch on the playfield.
89f628ca011a27cb31805e0cf7f71ceb0417ad0a.jpgFlying High (resized).jpg89f628ca011a27cb31805e0cf7f71ceb0417ad0a.jpgFlying High (resized).jpg

When I bought the game, it had custom made metal blades/liners on the inside. Made out of galvanized metal. LOL not a HUO pin LOL.

1 month later
#766 5 years ago

You could buy new ones, which will require new levelers, and the anti split post and screw parts from PBR. For a game that needs as little as possible spent on it you could get the new anti split posts parts (a minimum requirement). Then glue and clamp the old legs, making sure to get the glue well into the gaps in the splits. Remove the levers, soak them in a rust remover. After the glue dries either sand the legs back to the wood and refinish them. Or sand them very lightly and just clear coat them.

The goal is to make the game safe, so it will not fall over if it is moved, or pushed against.

#777 5 years ago
Quoted from Nikrox2:

Hey old EM tech’s - this Piccadilly has one of the chime/bell coils bad. Even the tabs are broken off.
Newbie Question - replacing my flipper coils on a Hot Shot (to get stronger flippers for a buyer). - can i use one of those for my chime coil?
Or is there a voltage issue that could cause me trouble here?
It’s not the cost but if I have these as spares I don’t have to wait on an order delivery and I can fix this weekend.
Thoughts or comments?

Using the wrong coil is not recommended, you should replace it with the same coil. The Piccadilly schematic may have the coil numbers written on it. Since older games could have the wrappers burnt off.

1 month later
#802 5 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

1953 Gottlieb Flying High

That is indeed a really nice playfield, and the lockdown bar and rails do not to worn or burnt.

The backglass animation for the pop and dead bumpers is something most people miss.

On the playfield there are many ways to win a Replay. High Scores. Points Setting. Hitting all 7 pop bumpers in a row lights the Special., Landing Four balls in a row in the Trap holes.

#807 5 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

I believe its purpose is to be wrapped around the male and female sides of the jones plugs to keep them connected in order to prevent the door from falling to the ground when unlocked. These early style doors have no hinges.

To add to your comment. The connection is live. If the door gets opened and falls out, if the connector separates, a person might instinctually grab the connectors and accidently touch the connectors, and get zapped.

1 month later
#822 4 years ago

20190529_211338 (resized).jpg20190529_211338 (resized).jpg
Got this game yesterday. It is challenging to play. Have to get use to 4 flippers and the lower reversed set up.

There are more photos on the, "Show Us Your EM Pinball Machines", Topic.

1 week later
#828 4 years ago

That back board lighting is different, and interesting.

Looking really nice.

3 weeks later
#852 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I recently acquired a lockdown bar with an early 1950s Gottlieb machine that clearly wasn't the correct bar

Quoted from ZNET:

Queen of Hearts to accommodate the shooter rod.

Here is another observation. The underside of the lock down bars in question have overspray of red or green, or were the painted at one time and have the paint removed? On my Globe Trotter the bar has red paint on the underside, it doesn't fit quite right. But it does function. There is no red on the cabinet, only orange, blues, and white.

The Flying High, I have just has a clear finish on the underside. The odd observation is what manufacture painted their cabinets with the lock down on the game.

4 months later
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

photos of another Globe Trotter

I can post a photo tomorrow afternoon, if you can wait.

#955 4 years ago

My Globe Trotter has silver coloured components. Is it possible that your game has had the metal parts phosphate coated? Is there evidence of the steppers being removed and taken apart? Your Knocker has been treated the same way as the steppers, and the top plate of the motor.

20191102_143249 (resized).jpg20191102_143249 (resized).jpg20191102_142805 (resized).jpg20191102_142805 (resized).jpg

Quoted from tfduda:

Anyone know the story about the black metal used in Gottlieb’s 1951 Globe Trotter? It doesn’t appear to be painted as I don’t see the black removed in scratched areas. I assume it’s some kind of black alloy...?
Mine has the support bracket for the upper large stepper and parts of the 10k stepper, 100k stepper, score motor and bell and knocker brackets in black (see photos below). Also see similar (though not identical) use in photos of another Globe Trotter on ipdb in links below. I suspect that Gottlieb used what was available at the time and that the normally used metal wasn’t available, but this is a guess. Also I’m not sure if other early 50s Gottliebs used this metal as I didn’t search ipdb too thoroughly, but I don’t recall seeing it used in other models from same era.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1017&picno=42913
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1017&picno=42908[quoted image][quoted image]

9 months later
#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

"ball release"
Usually these stay locked on until points are scored.

Your last sentence could be wrong. Would the Ball Release stay locked on, until the game is re-set?

1 year later
#1466 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I finished getting
the Nags completed

Oh my! Are those high scores carved/written into the coin door? Those look like hard scores to beat. Has game has seen plenty of play?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=darcy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.