20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#109 7 years ago

People like what they grew up with. I hear that stated a lot and it makes sense. My earliest pinball memories are that transition era in the late 70s from EM to SS. That era hasn't been a collecting focus for me in quite awhile. I think nostalgia is big part of what gets people interested in the hobby. But like Odin, after I sort of explored that I moved on to other eras. The great thing about this hobby is there is so many directions you can go. My guess is after the new generation fully explores the games they grew up with they will be curious enough to discover the earlier eras. At least some of them will hopefully...

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is also a vintage Whirl-Wind. I bought one yesterday but it is missing some parts. This one's not mine.
image-6_(resized).jpg

That's Rafael Lankar's game. He likes the red legs. I think I do too.

#138 7 years ago

Link doesn't seem to work? Maybe he is keeping the house now?

2 weeks later
#191 7 years ago

No idea on value but it certainly is a nice looking game. And it looks a bit more interesting than your typical non-flipper game from this era. I wonder if it kicks the ball back out below those Jitterbug covers?

3 weeks later
#250 7 years ago

Awesome backglass art. Congrats.

4 weeks later
#266 7 years ago

In between the honey-do list this weekend I have been putzing around with my newly acquired Dancing Dolls. I refinished the wood trim and cleaned up the cabinet a bit. Got it on legs. Thanks pesqueisle! Made a back door.

It looks pretty good from the left. Too bad the right rail looks like some clown set one of those big novelty carnival cigars all along it. And not on top but big burn marks on the side of the rail? Weird. Oh well it's just character when they get this old.

DDcab.jpgDDcab.jpg

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It would probably be easier to get one of those reverse mortgages on my house.

Then you could have both.

2 months later
#320 7 years ago

That game is so brutal, I felt like a clown when I played it.

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Alex, I seem to remember I may not have had the whole 'rule set' down when you came thru, and I think I gave some bad playing advice. You'll have to come back again and give it another whirl.

Well, to be fair I'm not a great player anyway. Especially on a new game in a social environment. I can get pretty good if I can play alone continuously in my basement though. I still get the impression Sittin' Pretty is a relentless butt kicker. It's nice to have a few of those in a collection. Plus it looks fantastic.

6 months later
#430 7 years ago

Looks like a "Wisconsin roll down" type cabinet. Plunger removed for anti-gambling laws in some states. What's the front look like? Does it have a little cup that catches the ball?

#438 7 years ago

Yep, it's sort of interesting from a historical perspective but seems like a hinderance/obstruction from a playing perspective.

2 weeks later
#450 7 years ago

Ooh, you have a Williams wood rail now Hoov? The lockdown bars show up from time to time on Ebay if someone here doesn't have a spare.

4 months later
#471 6 years ago

I don't know all the details on the "Wisconsin" roll down cabinets. It may have been a Wisconsin only thing. Designed to circumvent an anti-gambling law related to the use of the plunger. Changing it from a game of chance to a game of skill apparently? I have seen it on a couple different games. Not sure if it was a factory built conversion or something put together by operators. Maybe someone sold an aftermarket conversion kit? Pinsider Ramegoom has or had a 1948 United Wisconsin with roll down cabinet and I know I've seen Tropicana in a roll down version. 1948 Bally Melody Roll. I believe there are others. IPDB is down at the moment.

5 months later
#489 6 years ago

Just got this Jig Saw from a buddy in trade. Happy to have it.

JigsawA (resized).jpgJigsawA (resized).jpg

JigsawB (resized).jpgJigsawB (resized).jpg

#491 6 years ago

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it. Fun game!

1 month later
#530 6 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I have found that particular vintage shooter housing style to be the most fragile. It seems to always turn up fractured.

I was thinking I might have one in that style. I will have to peek tonight.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Alex, That would be great. I pretty much assumed that at this age, it was impossible to find. Was thinking of trying to epoxy it together from the back, with some added metal backing. Thankfully all the pieces are there.

Sorry different style.

OldShooter (resized).jpgOldShooter (resized).jpg

#545 6 years ago

Nah, it's 80 years old and in great shape. It will probably be indoors in a temperature controlled environment for the rest of it's life. Why tempt fate.

2 months later
#617 5 years ago

Ah got Kings in the line-up now. Looking good.

5 months later
#714 5 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

I love the Aqua Cade! Very nice work. I'm adding this one to my wish list of machines with water skiers, I'm looking to buy. United Aqua Cade, Bally Surf Club, Bally Cypress Gardens!
Mike

You might like my United Skee Alley...

SKeeAlleyB (resized).jpgSKeeAlleyB (resized).jpg

SkeeAlleyC (resized).jpgSkeeAlleyC (resized).jpg
#717 5 years ago
Quoted from bek1966:

Gotta love that Skee Alley! I think this is the first time I've seen pictures of the cabinet art. Alex, is that a natural wood finish under the green and red stenciling?
Brad

It's yellow green and red original paint. The paint is in pretty nice shape but looks to have been sealed at some point. It has yellowed a bit, but I think it gives it a nice warm patina. Here's more of a whole cab pic. Excuse the mess my gameroom was in transition at the time.

SkeeAlleyA (resized).jpgSkeeAlleyA (resized).jpg
#721 5 years ago

Yep 1950. I always liked the glass on the Venus Shuffle Target for 3 obvious reasons.

1 month later
#747 5 years ago

I always thought this was an effort to modernize the look of a game when the metal rail games came out? Might be able to squeeze a couple more years of profit out of it.

9 months later
#964 4 years ago

Wow, that cleaned up real nice. Good job.

4 weeks later
#980 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Oh, it's the infamous Jack Koch hoard.

I don't know for sure but doubt it. Rob Berk has a pretty huge collection that he has been slowly liquidating over the last couple years. I'm guessing this is just more of his personal stash.

#982 4 years ago

Well, it does say this in the listing......
Did he buy them or just helping sell I wonder?
LOT OF 125 + WOODRAIL PINBALL MACHINE THIS IS THE COLLECTION OF JACK KOCH OF CINCINNATI,I NEED THE ROOM , I DO NOT HAVE A LIST OF GAMES, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET ,I HAVE A FEW LEGS, SOME DO NOT HAVE HEADS ,GLASS MISSING,BACK DOORS GONE, SOME DO NOT HAVE LOCKDOWN BARS ,WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT I HAVE GAMES RANGE FROM 1948 TO 1960 GOTTLIEB AND WILLIAMS , SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER,LOCAL PICKUP IS WELCOME QUESTIONS CALL ROB AT

AH gotcha. I guess I should have read the description. At least that long awaited chapter will finally be closing. Hopefully...

#984 4 years ago

How many people have the capacity or interest to store that many woodrail projects? He should have sold them years ago when the market was hotter, piece by piece.

#1001 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Not many woodrail lovers out there but I'm one of them.

I like 'em. They are definitely the nicest era aesthetically in my opinion. And from my limited experience the gameplay has been satisfying. If the right "1" came along I'd be back in the game. The idea of having to deal with 125 projects though? There was a time I would have fantasized about that, now it just gives me anxiety.

8 months later
#1214 3 years ago

I haven't had a woodrail in a couple years but just added 3 in 2020. Bought all of them from friends. Frontiersman from O-din and Dancing Dolls and Hi-Diver from Presqueisle. Hard to beat the beauty of a woodrail but also nice to to bring clean plug and play games home. Usually I buy games in project form.

DancingDollsA (resized).jpgDancingDollsA (resized).jpgFrontiersman (resized).jpgFrontiersman (resized).jpgHi-Diver (resized).JPGHi-Diver (resized).JPG

#1216 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I am surprized that o-din let Frontierman go

Sold it to me in June. I think he had played it a ton, but also wanted it to go somewhere he could get it back if he got the itch. Plays real nice, multiple ways to win, good stuff.

#1219 3 years ago

Always wanted a Frontiersman - no space anymore.
Looks like it plays similar to Ace High which is a superb player.

It's very good. The only thing I noticed about it is the hard way to win pays off big but is almost too challenging to try for. Lighting all 4 (ABCD) of the same color pays off multiple replays if you can land it in the lit gobble hole. I've got it once by accident. O-din loved the challenge. Much easier to win on score or advancing one letter four times and landing in the gobble hole. Small payoff but I usually can get a replay more often than not.

6 months later
#1345 3 years ago

Did you get this from Dave? Super nice game. Congratulations.

5 months later
#1513 2 years ago

For a guy that isn't into woodrails you sure have a hell of a collection.

1 week later
#1533 2 years ago

I had Williams Jigsaw from 1957. That has standard flippers.

2 weeks later
#1537 2 years ago

Has anyone reproduced the "balls played" decal used on 57-58 Williams woodrail aprons with a ball trough window?

1 month later
#1547 2 years ago

Fun but tough game. It will kick your butt but so satisfying when you rack a few replays.

#1552 2 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen that one. Very cool.

1 month later
#1601 2 years ago
Quoted from justincasekazoo:

Snagged the last repro glass from Shay (what luck!)

Someone once told me that Shay often tells people when asking about a glass that it’s his last one. I know he’s told me that a couple times also. Probably helps encourage a quick purchase if there is FOMO.

Regardless getting a new silk screened glass from Shay or Webb is always a treat. And Marble Queen is a deserving title from what I understand.

2 years later
#1791 3 days ago

Almost 20 years attending the Chicagoland show I can't remember ever buying a pin? We went Saturday and this one was charming and cheap enough to entice me to bring it home. Complete and overall decent. Backglass is toast. Has anyone ever redrawn this title.

Dealer (resized).jpgDealer (resized).jpgDealerB (resized).jpgDealerB (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=alexf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.