20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZNET.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Guys Dolls" has a gorgeous cabinet though!

There's no defending Guys Dolls. The "can can" kicking post design is so abysmal that even that great art package can't save the game. She's like a beautiful Radio City Music Hall Rockette who cannot dance.

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Hmm..I'm a glass 1/2 full kinda guy, I'll take two!!

I know a collector with two Guys Dolls games, in decent condition. I suspect that he would gladly sell both to you. You would be the first in line and nobody would be behind you. Thus, the purchase would be economical. Also, this title often shows up for sale on eBay and it never seems to sell, even when the asking price is reasonable. In my opinion, it's one of those titles which is great in a collection of 100 or more games, precisely because the "post flippers" are unique. In a typical collection of 25 or fewer games, I imagine that the owner would be wondering what other woodrail would better serve that slot. Lovely Lucy, on the other hand, is a good game, in my view.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Interesting play on the word "Rockette," and the attempt to avoid a licensing issue. The backglass on my 1950 Gottlieb Rockettes shows women swinging on the trapeze. And a clown suggesting a circus atmosphere. The playfield, currently being shopped and not available for pix, has but one small graphic at the top of the playfield suggesting the famous dancers. Here's a pic from the ipdb: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1991&picno=33736

Joel,
Rockettes looks like it might be a good player. I've never played one.

I envision the Gottlieb design team with a list of dubious proposals scribbled on a chalkboard. . ."large gobble holes in front of both flippers," "trap holes in the shooter lane," "a row of moving posts in lieu of flippers which essentially eliminate the player's ability to aim" and the like. Guys Dolls got the green light for the third bad idea, which was never again implemented in the same manner. However, I once owned a Medusa, with a similarly moving post between the flippers. Arguably, Guys Dolls inspired that design element on Medusa, which is a good player. Trial and error, I suppose, and less is sometimes more, according to the old adage.

3 weeks later
#240 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

How does he feel about the gameplay of Daisy May? The alligator flippers look fun and different, but I've never played.
Yeah, you missed out for sure! Hopefully you'll be there with bells on next time.

Daisy May's gameplay is extraordinary, attributable to its unique clamshell (or alligator) flipper configuration. The upper flippers tend to create lateral vectors, until the player becomes acclimated, and patiently positions the ball before flipping. Naturally, horizontal movement is desired if a kick-out hole is the target. A well-aimed strike from any of the four flippers can send the ball to upper playfield, particularly into one of the two perimeter roll-over lanes. Daisy May gives new meaning to "cradling" the ball. It's a blast. I've always been surprised that this flipper orientation wasn't employed on other games.

Also, Daisy May features several avenues to achieve the special. Add to the great gameplay, the wonderful Parker art and the fact that it's among the "double award" series, and DM is about as good as it gets in a woodrail. It's an immensely popular title in my gameroom.

20150921_203334_(resized).jpg20150921_203334_(resized).jpg

20150921_203405_(resized).jpg20150921_203405_(resized).jpg

20150921_203421_(resized).jpg20150921_203421_(resized).jpg

#241 7 years ago

In addition to "clamshell" and "alligator" descriptive terms, I have also heard Daisy May's flippers described as "butterfly" flippers. I have red bats on my game because I prefer the look of them; the originals are white with blue lettering.

It's remarkable that Gottlieb averted intellectual property infringement by simply changing the spelling of the Li'l Abner buxom blonde character "Daisy Mae Scragg" to "Daisy May."

10 months later
#435 7 years ago

Forget the woodrails in that auction. The EM arcade and miscellaneous coin op games are to die for.

1 year later
#528 6 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Overall for age both in very good condition. Neither works yet. One has a screw in fuse holder on outside of cabinet at back with fuse missing and shredded power cord. Both need switches and other fuses checked and power cord change before plugging in. Swing has home made painted black cabinet door. And worst of all broken plunger / ball cover bracket.
If there is interest could really use some advice on how to get them working and fix things like bracket as I get working on them. And really want to find a good home for Triumph.

I have found that particular vintage shooter housing style to be the most fragile. It seems to always turn up fractured.

2 months later
#625 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

My son Sean's latest restoration. He just keeps getting better and better! Nice work son. You make me proud.

Now, that's an enjoyable way to document a restoration. Well done on both the restoration and the video. Kudos to your son, Sean.

11 months later
#840 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

1950 Gottlieb Buffalo Bill Buffalo Bill
Here’s a video of an early Harry Mabs/Roy Parker “oscillating ball shooter” game:

The moving ball shooter was also called a turret shooter. Gottlieb produced 4 turret shooter games in 1950; the first one was Just 21, then Select-A-Card, then Bank-A-Ball and Buffalo Bill in May 1950.
As someone who is mostly interested in the 1950’s woodrails, the Buffalo Bill had been on my shortlist ever since obtaining a mint version of the Bank-A-Ball a few years ago.
The pickings were slim for several months as far as finding the game, in any condition, but did find an original one that needed much work. The long-term goal of the anticipated restoration was try and duplicate the esthetics and patina of the unmolested Bank-A-Ball, as regards to paint and playfield glossiness.
Step 1: The first phase of the restoration was getting the mechanicals in order. Fortunately, having other turret games as a source of reference, it was a time consuming, but relatively straightforward process to get a woodrail game playing and scoring. Original backglass and playfield art glass were in very good condition, so repros weren’t a consideration.
Step 2: Playfield restoration. Worn paint, planking, delamination, etc., diminished the enjoyably of the game. Kudos to Joseph Cambino/ RETRO Amusements (https://www.facebook.com/RETRO-Amusements-262410473911111/), for his skill in fixing the wood, regluing, touching up the missing paint and putting on a topcoat with minimal sheen. Not as glossy as the modern machines, it works well on an old EM. Playfield is like glass, no ball hangs and a pleasure to look at.
Step 3: Cabinet restoration. While it is always my preference to stay with a nice unmolested, but worn original paint, this game had been previously and poorly touched up, had deep scratches and despite my purist intentions, there was nothing really charming about keeping it original. Further, when situated next to the BAB, the difference between the sister machines was evident. Joe Cambino, and I agreed that the cabinet on the BAB was the perfect example for us to use…after 70 years, it still has a nice shine and patina, but certainly isn’t brand new/vibrant any more. The legs and wood might have been a pale maple color at one time, but have aged to a medium oak color. In this regard, the decision was to use colors that were muted, a little darker to simulate the aging, and a low sheen in the paint. A little overspray and fuzziness around the graphics was intended. A little hard to see in pictures, but the red color of the graphics looks like the red/brown color of old leather, and is an ideal match for this old Western themed game.
Video of game play: Turret games play differently than the other EMs of the era. They are point and shoot games, designed to hit a target, then typically, a ricochet down the middle. Most games do not last long as it’s hard to keep a ball in play for flipper action, but occasionally one will get a good ball, several lanes or targets and it’s possible to actually win games.
Some pix to show a freshly restored game next to it's untouched 70 year old sister. Wood and paint sheen are very similar.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

1950 Bank-A-Ball and Buffalo Bill definitely take home medals for most glorious pinball aprons of all time. Magnificent Buffalo Bill restoration.

As you know, I am very fond of B-a-B's gameplay and art package. Rumor is that the enigmatic Roy Parker included an image of himself on the backglass.

2 weeks later
#848 4 years ago

My Queen of Hearts and 1950 Bank-A-Ball lockdown bars appear identical, except for the shallow groove on Queen of Hearts to accommodate the shooter rod.

Bank-A-Ball is a turret shooter woodrail, which is why that groove is absent.

Below are photos of both lockdown bars. I will obtain measurements and post same.
20190628_221354 (resized).jpg20190628_221354 (resized).jpg20190628_221407 (resized).jpg20190628_221407 (resized).jpg20190628_221541 (resized).jpg20190628_221541 (resized).jpg

#849 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I recently acquired a lockdown bar with an early 1950s Gottlieb machine that clearly wasn't the correct bar as it didn't fit well and is differently sized compared to bars from other machines of this era (although the posts were correctly spaced). See images below of this bar and one from an early 1950s Gottlieb (that's presumably original) for comparison.
Does anyone have any ideas about what machine this bar came from? I'd guess it might work on turret machines from 1950, but given the different dimensions, perhaps it's not even from a Gottlieb...?[quoted image][quoted image]

I posted reference photos above, in response to your inquiry.

2 years later
#1580 2 years ago

Not my game. Project Coronation on eBay for $175 or best offer in New Rochelle, NY. Per description, must be gone this weekend.

ebay.com link: pinball machine antique

Screenshot_20211210-232754_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211210-232754_eBay (resized).jpg
1 year later
#1695 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Is Naptha ok for cleaning the pf? Afraid of ruining the lettering on the inserts.I usually use it, but haven’t had printing on inserts before and I Guess these would not be replaceable

Naphtha is harmless to playfields. I use Gemini CP100 naphtha. . .works great.

#1697 1 year ago
Quoted from undrdog:

ZNET Not finding that brand at the big box stores. Where do you get it?

Here are 3 vendors, including Marco, which sell Gemini CP100. Suzohapp is typically the least expensive for bulk purchases. Other vendors can be found by Googling. To my knowledge, big box retailers don't carry CP100. Instead, they have pure naphtha, which has a strong order.

CP100 is safe for wood, electronics, rubbers and plastics. I have used it successfully for years for prewar to woodrails to EMs to modern games. . .most versatile cleaner by far. . .I always have a bottle on my pinball/arcade supply shelf.

Unlike pure naphtha, CP100 has no odor. Its main ingredient is naphtha. Just avoid excessive contact with your skin over long sessions using it.

Screenshot_20230115_140207_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230115_140207_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230115_140312_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230115_140312_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230115_140359_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230115_140359_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZNET.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs?tu=ZNET and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.