20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 36.
#351 7 years ago

Probably showed this one before, but what the heck. Similar pf to Sittin' Pretty, but much different play, I feel, due to the objectives and animation.
Gottlieb 1958 Criss Cross
Roy Parker/Wayne Neyens
This one came from DirtFlipper

The goal is to get three pop bumpers lit up top on the pf, in a row, to win a replay. Like tic tac toe. They are color coded with the targets in the roto to light, along with the four drain lanes on the lower sides. The important white (center) pop bumper can also be lit with a skill shot/plunge thru the upper center lane. The Bullseye targets are cool, too. 100k for a direct hit, 50k if off-center.
Once you get the pop bumpers lit (100k) the scoring starts! If ALL bumpers are lit, then specials (replays) can be had from either hitting the roto target or draining in a gobble hole.

Getting three bumpers lit in a row for special is tough for me, but it's not terribly hard to keep this game going for a score replay. A beautiful Winter theme too, great game.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#352 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Looks like a good one! Upper pf looks neat, love the four flippers. Never seen/played one before though.

I have a friend who has one of these. Very good player and fantastic looking game too!

#353 7 years ago

Just finished my Dragonette. Really hard to beat on points! Looking for an original ball gate plastic if anyone has one?

IMG_9771 (resized).jpgIMG_9771 (resized).jpg

IMG_9772 (resized).jpgIMG_9772 (resized).jpg

#354 7 years ago

A beauty! Good luck with it!

#355 7 years ago

Why does everyone worry about scores ?
I just enjoy playing the Pin.....

#356 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Hi, I'm not the oldest pinsider, but at 64, I have a long history with the hobby. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, we had pinball machines in the house, thanks to availability and guidance from my grandfather who was an operator. In the 60's I worked in an arcade where there were mostly games of that era (Kings and Queens, North Star, River Boat, etc.) but played plenty of woodrails and preflipper games over the years at the Jersey Shore and other venues. In the last 10 years, I traded out most of my EMs and solid state games in favor of the woodrails. And now that I am mostly woodrails, with a few favorite EMs, I still change up the line up once in awhile.

Nice! Would love to come across an Auto Race like you have

#357 7 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

Why does everyone worry about scores ?

Rapid fire knocking has a certain charm about it.

#358 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Looking for an original ball gate plastic if anyone has one?

What's wrong with the plastic, I can't see the issue.

#359 7 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

What's wrong with the plastic, I can't see the issue.

Well, ideally would prefer marbled original and at the moment it doesn't fit very well but unable to find 2 screws and washers like on this one.

SDC12400 (resized).jpgSDC12400 (resized).jpg

#360 7 years ago

As a kid I was able to hit many seedy pool halls and Bars with my older Cousin watching me. Belhaven and Plymouth NC,along with Greenville and little Washington were usual places,and the lineup of EM's usually had a couple of old ratty Wood-Rails. Nags Head had a spectacular Arcade with a corner devoted to Wood Rails,as well as Fennell Beach.
A restored Wood Rail would be nice tucked into a bedroom,as long as it was safe the night light would look cool.

#361 7 years ago

Dancing Dolls
Gottlieb May 1960
Gottlieb's last game with bulb scoring!
(My Wagon Train is April 1960, and has reels)

Pretty neat bg animation. One marionette that has two 'spot lights' pointed at angles in the bg. Makes for two silhouettes that dance together or individually on the stage. Replays by score or points, and Match of course. Pretty simple object, light the tap dancers by landing in the corresponding kick out hole(s), or by hitting either of the two standing targets (These both also light the 100k pop bumpers and add to the score). One gobble hole that's low on the pf, and that is a tough one to avoid! Fun game.

This game came from DirtFlipper, and he noted that it's unique in that the animation (lighted dancers) lasts for the duration of the ball played, vs a singular event. A real looker!
*some light reflection on bg showing. (I have a new Shay glass on it that I was lucky to get

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

A restored Wood Rail would be nice tucked into a bedroom,as long as it was safe the night light would look cool.

You're single I presume.

#363 7 years ago

IMG_2446 (resized).JPGIMG_2446 (resized).JPG

IMG_2445 (resized).JPGIMG_2445 (resized).JPG

IMG_2447 (resized).JPGIMG_2447 (resized).JPG

#364 7 years ago

^^ one of my all time fave roy parker backglasses

#365 7 years ago

Well, ideally would prefer marbled original and at the moment it doesn't fit very well but unable to find 2 screws and washers like on this one.

Those look like cup washers.....

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Washer-Fasteners-Finishing-Washers/N-5yc1vZc2fy

1 week later
#367 7 years ago

'New' to me. Gottlieb's 1953 Quintette, in very nice original condition. Apron has a new decal, and two plastics are new, caps and everything else original. Just a couple small touch ups on the cab, but otherwise in amazing shape. Our friend DirtFlipper did the refreshing and tuning on this, and I was lucky to be able to pick it up from him.

Five gobble holes! But you need to light (lose your ball) up all five to win a replay/special(s). 'Spot em' feature randomly gives you one free lit at the start of game (liberal setting will spot you between 1-3, mine's set on conservative).

You can also go for sequential 1-6 caps, or for non-sequential A-D roll overs, for specials. Replays for score and points, too. Points are scored by hitting one of the five roll over buttons mid pf. These also will light a corresponding gobble hole. A lot going on.

No out lanes and a very small gap between the flippers makes it unique to what I've played before. My oldest game, and first woodrail pinball with wooden legs! Cool game.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

'New' to me. Gottlieb's 1953 Quintette, in very nice original condition.

Looks nice. I wonder if that was a sequel to 1952's Quartette.

#369 7 years ago

Hmm and 1950's Triplets.

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#370 7 years ago

Duette came later.

image-2 (resized).jpgimage-2 (resized).jpg

#372 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

'New' to me. Gottlieb's 1953 Quintette, in very nice original condition. Apron has a new decal, and two plastics are new, caps and everything else original. Just a couple small touch ups on the cab, but otherwise in amazing shape. Our friend DirtFlipper did the refreshing and tuning on this, and I was lucky to be able to pick it up from him.
Five gobble holes! But you need to light (lose your ball) up all five to win a replay/special(s). 'Spot em' feature randomly gives you one free lit at the start of game (liberal setting will spot you between 1-3, mine's set on conservative).
You can also go for sequential 1-6 caps, or for non-sequential A-D roll overs, for specials. Replays for score and points, too. Points are scored by hitting one of the five roll over buttons mid pf. These also will light a corresponding gobble hole. A lot going on.
No out lanes and a very small gap between the flippers makes it unique to what I've played before. My oldest game, and first woodrail pinball with wooden legs! Cool game.

Beautiful game. Congratulations. Love the art, the cabinet art deco look, DF restore, and overall condition.

And this is perhaps only the second game to feature a rebound special? Get 1 - 6 and alternating rebounds for special. I suspect this is very hard to do?!

Hawaiian Beauty is the other game with a rebound special.

Enjoy

#373 7 years ago

Congrats on the Quintette!

... but a tough game! She's a beauty and lots of goals to shoot for but those darn gobble holes are a challenge to dodge.

Here's a gameplay video I made when I owned the game. 'Yellow dot' coils installed because I cranked the rear levelers, as usual.

#374 7 years ago

Beautiful game. Congratulations. Love the art, the cabinet art deco look, DF restore, and overall condition.
And this is perhaps only the second game to feature a rebound special? Get 1 - 6 and alternating rebounds for special. I suspect this is very hard to do?!
Hawaiian Beauty is the other game with a rebound special.
Enjoy

Thanks. Yes it seems to be a challenge, so far I haven't been close to getting 1-6.

#375 7 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Congrats on the Quintette!
... but a tough game! She's a beauty and lots of goals to shoot for but those darn gobble holes are a challenge to dodge.
Here's a gameplay video I made when I owned the game. 'Yellow dot' coils installed because I cranked the rear levelers, as usual.
» YouTube video

Hey cool! I had watched that video probably twenty times trying to pick up the play on it. I knew I had a chance to buy one, and you had the only video I could find. Thanks!

Ps. And I've always wondered, did you ever get anything to eat that night?

#376 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Thanks. Yes it seems to be a challenge, so far I haven't been close to getting 1-6.

That is what is so great about the 'multiple ways to win ' games.

You can beat the game on say points, but trying to win or unlock a special can be super hard.

Adds a real depth to these games that most pinheads are totally unaware of.

#377 7 years ago

Great stuff guys! Thnx for posting -

I recently put my Jack 'n Jill in a local show so others could enjoy it - and I was pleasantly surprised at how much many seemed to appreciate it.

I decided to experiment with a little 'high score recorder' – very low tech -

downloaded a Hi-Rez image of the original pinball flyer and did a little bit of creative Adobe illustrator work to match it – ran off to Kinkos and rolled it through the laminator – I have no idea why but laminating anything is always fun !! - then tied a simple grease pencil and cleaning cloth to it and left it on top of the machine - this way people could understand a bit more of the history of the game and also feel a bit more of the competitive bug as they tried to beat the last score

#378 7 years ago

Roll over eyeballs!! Love it. Looks very nice, and that is an awesome way to record high scores. There could be a market for those

#379 7 years ago

Helping my buddy with this game. Luckily it seems like it's all there and working properly. Don't know about the availability of parts for this game, but many items are similar to Gottlieb. I've seen maybe three or four of these ever. Anyone out there have one?

20161014_222601 (resized).jpg20161014_222601 (resized).jpg

20161014_222608 (resized).jpg20161014_222608 (resized).jpg

20161014_222635 (resized).jpg20161014_222635 (resized).jpg

20161014_222647 (resized).jpg20161014_222647 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#380 7 years ago

I think this is now my favorite backglass - in the dark the colors and artwork are just beautiful.

IMG_0040 (resized).JPGIMG_0040 (resized).JPG

#381 7 years ago

wanting to buy 2 gottlieb muti player woodrails for a gottlieb super circus from 1957.

know the single player rails have been made but has anybody made repro multi player rails?

#382 7 years ago

I think this is now my favorite backglass - in the dark the colors and artwork are just beautiful.

The details in that backglass are great. I'd like to see a video of the boxer animation.

This is my favorite game now. It's much more fun because the gameplay, geometry and flippers are more unique. It plays like it did in 1949 except now it occasionally doesn't reset all the way. I'll post a video of some games on it as soon as I get the tempered backglass I ordered for it.

Bruce

Utah Pinball (resized).jpgUtah Pinball (resized).jpg

#383 7 years ago

Anyone have a 1946 Bally "Midget Racer" with a decent back glass in it?

Midget racer (resized).jpgMidget racer (resized).jpg

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

The details in that backglass are great. I'd like to see a video of the boxer animation.
This is my favorite game now. It's much more fun because the gameplay, geometry and flippers are more unique. It plays like it did in 1949 except now it occasionally doesn't reset all the way. I'll post a video of some games on it as soon as I get the tempered backglass I ordered for it.
Bruce

Nice game.

Will try and photo all the different animations as never really looked at them closely so quite curious myself!

#385 7 years ago

Also looking for some aluminum casting leg brackets like these. I just need the outer brackets.
or if you have one to loan out with a paid deposit, I could have some made and return it when finished.

sportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpgsportsmanfrontcasting (resized).jpg

#386 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Bruce

I decided to photograph all the animations. Beautiful artwork and playing the game I hadn't realized how good it was. 10 photos to follow.

IMG_0065 (resized).JPGIMG_0065 (resized).JPG

IMG_0066 (resized).JPGIMG_0066 (resized).JPG

IMG_0067 (resized).JPGIMG_0067 (resized).JPG

#387 7 years ago

Continued.

IMG_0068 (resized).JPGIMG_0068 (resized).JPG

IMG_0069 (resized).JPGIMG_0069 (resized).JPG

IMG_0070 (resized).JPGIMG_0070 (resized).JPG

#388 7 years ago

Last few to KO. They don't make em like they used to!

IMG_0071 (resized).JPGIMG_0071 (resized).JPG

IMG_0072 (resized).JPGIMG_0072 (resized).JPG

IMG_0073 (resized).JPGIMG_0073 (resized).JPG

IMG_0074 (resized).JPGIMG_0074 (resized).JPG

#389 7 years ago

This game is just shows the quality of Gottlieb back in the 1950's. My game is all original, not high tapped etc and it plays like it must have done coming out of it's box 66 years ago. Pop bumpers have so much zip, incredible really.

I was just cleaning the pop bumpers and as I was cleaning the plunger, it struck me that this part is 66 years old, been used 10's of thousands of times and with a quick clean, it looks like it could have been made yesterday. Although no one today would combine brass and steel like they used to.

These games deserve more love

This game should still be playing nicely in a 100 years time. Scary thought really.

IMG_0057 (resized).JPGIMG_0057 (resized).JPG

#390 7 years ago

A great game getting the love it deserves!

#391 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is always the possibility that new pinballs will stop being made and then they may have no choice...

The internet saved pinball. There will always be demand for games now people know it exists.

#392 7 years ago

Here's my one and only wood rail pinball. Actually, it pre-dates wood rail pins. It's entirely mechanical, plays 10 balls for 1c. Gottlieb 1933. One of the very first pinball machines ever made.
game view (resized).jpggame view (resized).jpg

#393 7 years ago

Does anybody know where I can get a reproduction apron sheet for my Gottlieb Southern Belle? I see PBR sold them specifically for this game but they are out of stock and I doubt they're in a hurry to make them again, that's for sure...

It still seems to have instruction cards (what I see from pictures), so perhaps it is shared with other games?

#394 7 years ago

I decided to photograph all the animations. Beautiful artwork and playing the game I hadn't realized how good it was. 10 photos to follow.

Love the way the fight progresses as you score 50,000 then 60,000 etc! Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

#395 7 years ago

In a bit of a spur of the moment change of pace, Southern Belle is heading down to the basement gameroom for the first time today during semi-major re-arranging! (and to get it out of the now-cold garage as Winter gets closer)

At first I didn't think I wanted to mix it in down there due to the different cabinet style but after looking around at this morning's work and where machines are sitting now and others are waiting to be moved I found a great spot for it next to my 1962 Williams Vagabond where it won't look awkwardly placed. Buying those reproduction plastics are still behind a few other purchase plans so I still didn't get to buy them yet but this will definitely bump up that on the list. Maybe I'll ask for them for Christmas since it's getting so close, lol.

Will post pictures when it's down and set up! Up next is cleaning and waxing. I bought a very good condition original flyer for Southern Belle on eBay a few weeks back and just realized this spot I chose for it is even coincidentally next to a wall - convenient for the flyer!

#396 7 years ago

1950 Spor Bowler - Being pretty new to pins feel very lucky to have found this machine at an estate sale. Slowly working on getting it back to original condition. Doesn't play yet due to electrical problems not yet fixed. But still my favorite machine.

#397 7 years ago

Nice! Pretty desirable title you have there. A keeper.

1 week later
#398 7 years ago

Couple of games coming out of storage and heading to the pinball beauty parlor and spa for some Holiday touch up/freshen up and tune up. Preliminary thanks to Preservation Pinball and Pinrescue for their expertise and assistance:

a) '51 Gottlieb Cyclone - I had this game in storage for awhile, but now want to take it through a nice refurb over the holidays.
b) '51 Gottlieb Rose-Bowl - Interesting scoring game. You are the "home" team and you compete against the machine as the "visiting" team. You win replays by tying and then scoring more touchdowns than the machine.
c) '54 Gottlieb Hawaiian Beauty - This is my second HB and I so regretted selling the first one as it is one of the best players out there. Win on points, double awards, on field specials. The early 50's are the bomb.

J

cyclone (resized).jpgcyclone (resized).jpg

cyclone 2 (resized).jpgcyclone 2 (resized).jpg

Rose-Bowl (resized).jpgRose-Bowl (resized).jpg

hawaiian beauty (resized).jpghawaiian beauty (resized).jpg

cyclone and hawaiian beauty (resized).jpgcyclone and hawaiian beauty (resized).jpg

#399 7 years ago

Wow are those before, or after pictures? Sweet!

#400 7 years ago

Those look nice!

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/8?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.