20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 36.
#201 7 years ago

******* Very Nice ******
Doesn't look like much of a 'Project' to me.....

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

******* Very Nice ******
Doesn't look like much of a 'Project' to me.....

Hasn't run in many years. Backglass is flaking. (those aren't seagulls over the water - that's paint loss )

Was sitting in a garage where it apparently had sat for a long time. No rodents or any serious damage though.

My first experience with a woodrail and since it's not running I'll call it a project - at least for me it is.

DSCN7333_(resized).JPGDSCN7333_(resized).JPG

#203 7 years ago

Ok......... getting it running is the 'Fun part'; at least to me.
Project work is repairing the playfield or the cabinet.
The backglass is in much better shape than most of my Pins...... FWIW.

#204 7 years ago

Putting the finishing touches on my Gottlieb Quartette. ..cab was falling apart and everything mechanical was coated in grease. Im happy with the result. Win by score, points, completing the number sequence, and light the super special for 5 replays.

20160515_205940.jpg20160515_205940.jpg

20160515_210036.jpg20160515_210036.jpg

20160515_210044.jpg20160515_210044.jpg

20160515_210046.jpg20160515_210046.jpg

20160515_210041.jpg20160515_210041.jpg

20160515_210051.jpg20160515_210051.jpg

20160515_210029.jpg20160515_210029.jpg

20160515_211751.jpg20160515_211751.jpg

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Half a dozen broken wires from old solder joints,replaced some light sockets, needed 6 coils and had a couple feedback shorts

Amazing that thing worked at all when you got it!

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Backglass touched up and sealed.

Nice job with the touchups. i can hardly tell.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

Putting the finishing touches on my Gottlieb Quartette. ..cab was falling apart and everything mechanical was coated in grease. Im happy with the result. Win by score, points, completing the number sequence, and light the super special for 5 replays.

Looks nice.

How does it play with the flipper configuration?

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Has anyone ever heard of a woodrail called co-op?

Or did you mean C.O.D. ?

image-cod_(resized).jpgimage-cod_(resized).jpg

#208 7 years ago

No sorry, it wasnt coop, it was co ed. A flipperless woodrail. I finally figured it out!

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

1956 Gottlieb Classy Bowler Fully Shopped. New Pop Bumpers and Flippers Rebuilt. Bumper caps are original and still have the original bodies set aside. Backglass touched up and sealed. Half a dozen broken wires from old solder joints,replaced some light sockets, needed 6 coils and had a couple feedback shorts from them I had to track down but getting closer to that 100% working status. Waiting for the last round of parts. Super fun nudgers delight game.

Looks terrific Ken-congrats

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

"Quartette". Not sure if I ever played one. It looks like a cross between "Niagara" and "Show Boat".

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Looks nice.
How does it play with the flipper configuration?

It's frustrating at first until you retrain yourself that the two left flippers and two right flippers activate together. Yes, its like Showboat for sure. Its alot of fun once you get used to it. I like that you have multiple goals to earn replays and depending how the game is going determines what goal you can choose to pursue.

#212 7 years ago

This one is coming soon......

Probably do write up and video in the Autumn as good to get videos on youtube of the features of all these games.

IMG_9624.JPGIMG_9624.JPG

#213 7 years ago

Yup, another great game with Parker artwork! Congrats!

#214 7 years ago

First Woodrail I have worked on and I do not understand how to set the Red Jones plugs for the replays. There are 10 of them that can fit into 10 different slots. How do I set both Millions and Hundred Thousands with these plugs? I have fooled with these but can't get the right number combo's.

It is a 1956 Gottlieb Classy Bowler.

TIA

Ken

DSCN4357_(resized).JPGDSCN4357_(resized).JPG

#215 7 years ago

Is there not a tag with the proper hookups? I could have sworn I already set it up for replay scores. Could have been another, but I do it on all of them.

Never mind, I just saw your edit.

#216 7 years ago

Frontiersman

Frontiersman_(resized).jpgFrontiersman_(resized).jpg

FPF_(resized).jpgFPF_(resized).jpg

#217 7 years ago

My first Williams woodrail, 1957 Jig Saw. Looks pretty as all can be.
(Thanks Craig)

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

My first Williams woodrail, 1957 Jig Saw. Looks pretty as all can be.

Nice! Makes a lot of racket too, doesn't it? I love the smell of 50 volt coils in the morning.

#219 7 years ago

The covered bridge pictures get me every time. She's a looker. Gotta squeeze them together a bit though as two more are coming in. . Then I'm FULL.

#220 7 years ago

This one plays great.

DSCN4594_(resized).JPGDSCN4594_(resized).JPG

#221 7 years ago

Beautiful! That didn't take you too long, congrats.

#222 7 years ago

I'm a big fan of wood rails. Pre and post flipper. Some of the favorites in my collection are;

Wms TURF CHAMP, has PF animation
Genco FORMATION, several ways to get replays, unique layout and very challenging
Wms Torchy, playfield magnets

and all have killer artwork!
Steve

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This one plays great.

How did you find that?! Great find.

#224 7 years ago

How did you find that?! Great find.

It just showed up last night. Came from the EM and woodrail superstore. These impulse flippers have a lot of power. The whole machine does. And it's amazingly addictive to play. My legs gave out by the time I was done last night.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It just showed up last night. Came from the EM and woodrail superstore. These impulse flippers have a lot of power. The whole machine does. And it's amazingly addictive to play. My legs gave out by the time I was done last night.

Sounds like the woodrail cookie store

We need a video this one!

#226 7 years ago

This came from the cookie store too. We tried to play it but, the light scoring just went round and round. Probably a switch on one of the score steppers. I'll have it working soon.

DSCN4606_(resized).JPGDSCN4606_(resized).JPG

#227 7 years ago

My brother played eight woodrail games last night that he had never played before.
There were a couple that he had never even seen before. They are at the home of a very well known person in the hobby.
Yours truly had the opportunity as well, but crapped out and stayed home. I'm really stupid!

#228 7 years ago

Working from memory, here's the list.
"Shindig"
"Flying High"
"Mystic Marvel"
"Daisy May"
"Joker"
"Marble Queen"
"Lovely Lucy"
"K.C. Jones"

#229 7 years ago

I'm in Sioux Falls, SD for my niece's graduation party this weekend. I was really surprised to spot a woodrail for sale in the back of a novelty shop downtown. I wasn't ready to pay $1,600 for the machine, but customers were encouraged to test it out for 5 cent a game.

I hadn't played a woodrail before, and I found this one to be a really good time.
DSC03866_(resized).JPGDSC03866_(resized).JPG
DSC03869_(resized).JPGDSC03869_(resized).JPG
DSC03868_(resized).JPGDSC03868_(resized).JPG

#230 7 years ago

Now that's a beauty!

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Working from memory, here's the list.
"Shindig"
"Flying High"
"Mystic Marvel"
"Daisy May"
"Joker"
"Marble Queen"
"Lovely Lucy"
"K.C. Jones"

Ya need to get out next time with that kind of list

#232 7 years ago

Ya need to get out next time with that kind of list

Yeah, and those are only the ones he's never played before. The list of the other woodies he got to play includes "Mermaid" and many others! What's wrong with me?

#233 7 years ago

How does he feel about the gameplay of Daisy May? The alligator flippers look fun and different, but I've never played.

Yeah, you missed out for sure! Hopefully you'll be there with bells on next time.

#234 7 years ago

I played Shay's "Daisy May" many years ago. I don't really remember much about it. I'll ask my brother about it. Yeah, that's a pretty unique and strange flipper arrangement. I'd learn to live with it in any case though since I would love to own a "Daisy May".

#235 7 years ago

Once a honeymoon phase is over I try and rate in my mind, my 3 favorite woodrails that I currently own. Changes all the time of course as one excellent high scoring game can change it all!

Based on last 3 weeks my current top 3 are -

1. Mystic Marvel
2. Ace High
3. Sweet Add A Line.

When I first got Sweet Add A Line I was a bit disappointed with it but it really has grown on me. Something about collecting the numbers and lighting up the specials. The day I get them all and hear 26 knocks of the knocker will be a very special day

Mystic Marvel has been my number 1 for over a year and I really want a game to surpass it but just something about it!

Here is Sweet Add A Line.

IMG_9634_(resized).JPGIMG_9634_(resized).JPG

#236 7 years ago

I'm rating this 1957 Arrow Head pretty high in game play right now. It's got a neat layout that allows some decent ball times and a lot of fun. The playfield is not perfect, but I may never see another one of these in my lifetime so I'm not complaining. It's got a kicker between the flippers that shoots up at the center gobble hole, but with nudging you can get it to avoid it unless it is lit where you may want it. It is also neat that it keeps track of balls played on the backglass. Plenty of flipper and playfield power on this 50 volt game. I had to check it for high tap, but no it's not.

DSCN4611_(resized).JPGDSCN4611_(resized).JPG
DSCN4610_(resized).JPGDSCN4610_(resized).JPG

#237 7 years ago

I like also how the 50's games by Gottlieb were so close to copyright issues and yet it seems nobody cared!

Dragonette 1954.

From TV series Dragnet.

Girl on backglass heavily rumored to be Jessica Dragonette who just happened to promote the game with Gottlieb in 1954. And yet it was never official it was her on the glass. I think it was - not a big jump is it?

image-3-1_(resized).jpgimage-3-1_(resized).jpg
IMG_9633_(resized).JPGIMG_9633_(resized).JPG

s-l1600_(resized).jpgs-l1600_(resized).jpg

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm rating this 1957 Arrow Head pretty high in game play right now. It's got a neat layout that allows some decent ball times and a lot of fun. The playfield is not perfect, but I may never see another one of these in my lifetime so I'm not complaining. It's got a kicker between the flippers that shoots up at the center gobble hole, but with nudging you can get it to avoid it unless it is lit where you may want it. It is also neat that it keeps track of balls played on the backglass. Plenty of flipper and playfield power on this 50 volt game. I had to check it for high tap, but no it's not.

I wouldn't complain about that playfield. Of the few of these games I've ever seen, the others have had much worse wear. You're lucky.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I wouldn't complain about that playfield. Of the few of these games I've ever seen, the others have had much worse wear. You're lucky.

It was touched up a bit. By an expert though. It would have been too big a job to do the whole thing. I'm just loving the flow and gameplay on it, and it's a good looker.

I've won a few games from points and a few from specials, but am still waiting for that glorious moment when I can sink the ball into the lit gobble hole and hear that loud knocker rattle off five times in a row, maybe more.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

How does he feel about the gameplay of Daisy May? The alligator flippers look fun and different, but I've never played.
Yeah, you missed out for sure! Hopefully you'll be there with bells on next time.

Daisy May's gameplay is extraordinary, attributable to its unique clamshell (or alligator) flipper configuration. The upper flippers tend to create lateral vectors, until the player becomes acclimated, and patiently positions the ball before flipping. Naturally, horizontal movement is desired if a kick-out hole is the target. A well-aimed strike from any of the four flippers can send the ball to upper playfield, particularly into one of the two perimeter roll-over lanes. Daisy May gives new meaning to "cradling" the ball. It's a blast. I've always been surprised that this flipper orientation wasn't employed on other games.

Also, Daisy May features several avenues to achieve the special. Add to the great gameplay, the wonderful Parker art and the fact that it's among the "double award" series, and DM is about as good as it gets in a woodrail. It's an immensely popular title in my gameroom.

20150921_203334_(resized).jpg20150921_203334_(resized).jpg

20150921_203405_(resized).jpg20150921_203405_(resized).jpg

20150921_203421_(resized).jpg20150921_203421_(resized).jpg

#241 7 years ago

In addition to "clamshell" and "alligator" descriptive terms, I have also heard Daisy May's flippers described as "butterfly" flippers. I have red bats on my game because I prefer the look of them; the originals are white with blue lettering.

It's remarkable that Gottlieb averted intellectual property infringement by simply changing the spelling of the Li'l Abner buxom blonde character "Daisy Mae Scragg" to "Daisy May."

#243 7 years ago

For me there are so many great titles to choose from, especially in the 1952 - 1955 era.

And this is one of them. It has to be one of the funnest and most addicting pinball machines I've ever played. After a few days of tuning, tweaking and adding a third bell ( ), I've been playing the heck out of it and can't stop!

Otaku was correct that one of the reels has a different font that must have come out of another reel game from this short run so I will be on the lookout for the correct one, but am happy it is otherwise complete and fully working. The reels are pretty much the same as what came later but without an end of stroke switch for the relay.

The advantage of impulse flippers was that they were able to use more powerful coils than the single wound that were used in other machines like the Lady Robin Hood sitting next to it. A year or two later Williams went with a flipper system nearly identical to Gottliebs beyond the links and 50 volt coils. But a few years later when Gottlieb went to score reels, they were very similar to these.

DSCN4628_(resized).JPGDSCN4628_(resized).JPG

DSCN4629_(resized).JPGDSCN4629_(resized).JPG

DSCN4624_(resized).JPGDSCN4624_(resized).JPG

#244 7 years ago

Great feeling when you find an obscure game that plays great!

Look forward to the video

#245 7 years ago

Getting it working correctly was a challenge in itself. But now it's rockin' and rollin'. They ran the score reel and number bumper relays in series so the resistance of each has to be just right.

#246 7 years ago

You can win with laps, points, or the lower rollover special. None of which are easy. But the main attraction of this game is hitting the numbered bumpers in order to light the top special. I guess if you can do that then you might get it too. Who put the six and seven there? I'm still working on getting five.

The slings, pops, and kickout holes, along with the flippers provide plenty of playfield action. It's not a 50 volt machine. It measures 54 going out of the transformer. The high tap lug measures 60. I don' t think I need to go there.

DSCN4632_(resized).JPGDSCN4632_(resized).JPG
DSCN4636_(resized).JPGDSCN4636_(resized).JPG

#247 7 years ago

It looks like a real fun game, quirky, unique and retro

Great finding under the radar titles. Some of the under the radar titles play just as well as the A plus titles.

Let the hunt begin

#248 7 years ago

I just need to figure out how to get the six and the seven. A very tight shot up the middle off the upper pop bumper might do it.

#249 7 years ago

Picked this up yesterday for $500 CDN, took the day off work to get it. The back glass has a bit of paint loss but not in important areas, playfield and inside filthy and the cabinet is repainted. No broken plastics and it seems reasonably unmolested. Oh, it also had metal legs. Should be fun!

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#250 7 years ago

Awesome backglass art. Congrats.

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.