20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.
#151 7 years ago

Great post Shapeshifter lot's of nice detailed information.

Going to have to work on finding a nice woodrail for myself. Sounds like everybody should have at least one. I really like the artwork on the woodrails and it's sounds like they are fun to play too. Sign me up.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

People's rating of woodrails seems to vary a lot as well.
My favorite at the moment is Lovely Lucy 1954 ( greatest year ever for pinball ? ) .
Many say Lucy sucks as a player with 6 gobble holes but I just find it addictive to try and unlight the bumpers 3 times - very very hard to so. The lighting is so mesmeric it just sucks me right in. I just love the whole art package as well.
So, no way is it the best player I have but it would be one of the last to leave for sure.

IMG_9600.JPGIMG_9599.JPG

Shapeshifter, I played this game at the Pacific Pinball Expo one year and wasn't overly impressed with it, thus reflecting my review on the IPDB. The odds are fairly good however, that it wasn't playing like it should have been (typical of most shows) But the odds are 'also' fairly good that I will be able to play a properly shopped out example in the near future and will make it a point to give this title another chance. I can't give any guarantees but won't be afraid to go back in and change my comments and numbers on this game if I find out otherwise.

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Shapeshifter, I played this game at the Pacific Pinball Expo one year and wasn't overly impressed with it, thus reflecting my review on the IPDB. The odds are fairly good however, that it wasn't playing like it should have been (typical of most shows) But the odds are 'also' fairly good that I will be able to play a properly shopped out example in the near future and will make it a point to give this title another chance. I can't give any guarantees but won't be afraid to go back in and change my comments and numbers on this game if I find out otherwise.

From a purely player's perspective you may still find it doesn't make the grade for you. It doesn't have the dual scoring system which is a negative and there is a big element of luck as the gobble holes are relentless! Not really a players game like say Diamond Lill.

But it has other qualities that are more difficult to measure. Standing in front of the game in a dark room, it has a magic quality that just makes me feel good before I even play a game.

I Love Lucy tv show means nothing to me but I like the fact it references the show and the main characters are on the backglass. No copyright issues in those days!!

IMG_9603.JPGIMG_9603.JPG

lucy.jpglucy.jpg

#154 7 years ago

That's neat ^^^ I love Lucy!

#155 7 years ago

From a purely player's perspective you may still find it doesn't make the grade for you. It doesn't have the dual scoring system which is a negative and there is a big element of luck as the gobble holes are relentless! Not really a players game like say Diamond Lill.
But it has other qualities that are more difficult to measure. Standing in front of the game in a dark room, it has a magic quality that just makes me feel good before I even play a game.
I Love Lucy tv show means nothing to me but I like the fact it references the show and the main characters are on the backglass. No copyright issues in those days!!

Yes, it may not... but still want to give it another shot.

And who knows? Maybe I'll see the game in a different light, doesn't happen too often but every once in awhile...

But even if it doesn't... that's one of the many beautiful things about this hobby, for every game that somebody doesn't like... there will be those that 'do' like it. We've probably all been on both sides of the fence.

#156 7 years ago

Yes, it may not... but still want to give it another shot.
And who knows? Maybe I'll see the game in a different light, doesn't happen too often but every once in awhile...
But even if it doesn't... that's one of the many beautiful things about this hobby, for every game that somebody doesn't like... there will be those that 'do' like it. We've probably all been on both sides of the fence.

Very true.

So far I haven't played a pre 55 Gottlieb that is a dud.

I suspect the only dud was Guys and Dolls with the push up posts.

#157 7 years ago

I suspect the only dud was Guys and Dolls with the push up posts.

"Guys Dolls" has a gorgeous cabinet though!

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Guys Dolls" has a gorgeous cabinet though!

There's no defending Guys Dolls. The "can can" kicking post design is so abysmal that even that great art package can't save the game. She's like a beautiful Radio City Music Hall Rockette who cannot dance.

#159 7 years ago

Hmm..I'm a glass 1/2 full kinda guy, I'll take two!!

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Hmm..I'm a glass 1/2 full kinda guy, I'll take two!!

I know a collector with two Guys Dolls games, in decent condition. I suspect that he would gladly sell both to you. You would be the first in line and nobody would be behind you. Thus, the purchase would be economical. Also, this title often shows up for sale on eBay and it never seems to sell, even when the asking price is reasonable. In my opinion, it's one of those titles which is great in a collection of 100 or more games, precisely because the "post flippers" are unique. In a typical collection of 25 or fewer games, I imagine that the owner would be wondering what other woodrail would better serve that slot. Lovely Lucy, on the other hand, is a good game, in my view.

#161 7 years ago

I'm sorry, I meant the bad dancing Rockette. I am OFFICIALLY 'out of room' and am forced to just window shop for awhile. Thank you for the lead though, I hope someone takes you up on it.

Dave

#162 7 years ago

Interesting play on the word "Rockette," and the attempt to avoid a licensing issue. The backglass on my 1950 Gottlieb Rockettes shows women swinging on the trapeze. And a clown suggesting a circus atmosphere. The playfield, currently being shopped and not available for pix, has but one small graphic at the top of the playfield suggesting the famous dancers. Here's a pic from the ipdb: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1991&picno=33736

Rockettes_backglass_(resized).jpgRockettes_backglass_(resized).jpg

#163 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Interesting play on the word "Rockette," and the attempt to avoid a licensing issue. The backglass on my 1950 Gottlieb Rockettes shows women swinging on the trapeze. And a clown suggesting a circus atmosphere. The playfield, currently being shopped and not available for pix, has but one small graphic at the top of the playfield suggesting the famous dancers. Here's a pic from the ipdb: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1991&picno=33736

Roy Parker really out did himself on this glass.

A ten if I have ever seen one.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Joel,
Rockettes looks like it might be a good player. I've never played one.

I envision the Gottlieb design team with a list of dubious proposals scribbled on a chalkboard. . ."large gobble holes in front of both flippers," "trap holes in the shooter lane," "a row of moving posts in lieu of flippers which essentially eliminate the player's ability to aim" and the like. Guys Dolls got the green light for the third bad idea, which was never again implemented in the same manner. However, I once owned a Medusa, with a similarly moving post between the flippers. Arguably, Guys Dolls inspired that design element on Medusa, which is a good player. Trial and error, I suppose, and less is sometimes more, according to the old adage.

#165 7 years ago

Love the glass

Now, when you do the video you have to get the 2 million shot captured on film!

This is a really rare feature for a game of this vintage and the kickers kick in different directions so it will be a rare feat to kick through all the 4 holes thus earning 2 million.

Agh, another game I want

#166 7 years ago

At 8.39 quick multiball on Rockettes.

Have the feeling this is going to be a real fun player.

#167 7 years ago

Roy Parker really out did himself on this glass.
A ten if I have ever seen one.

Lucky to have Wayne Neyen's signature on the glass between the 600-700,000 lights. Previous owner told me that he had the backglass signed at a show. No Windex on this glass...

#168 7 years ago

I like that Rockettes glass too !

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Lucky to have Wayne Neyen's signature on the glass between the 600-700,000 lights. Previous owner told me that he had the backglass signed at a show. No Windex on this glass...

No... definitely no Windex on 'that' backglass.

Wayne has a birthday coming up in July, pretty sure he will be 98!

Not a great number of men will be able to say that.

#170 7 years ago

Wayne is a treasure. I was honored to get a Christmas card from him this past Christmas. God bless him!

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Wayne is a treasure. I was honored to get a Christmas card from him this past Christmas. God bless him!

That's way cool, jr.

And you're right... he is a treasure.

A national treasure... at least to us pinball folks.

#172 7 years ago

Poor old Queen of Diamonds!

#173 7 years ago

That's gonna leave a mark.

#174 7 years ago

These multi way to win games require a fair amount of time on them as after many goes different ways of playing them develop.

I had been trying to focus on unlighting pop bumpers on Lovely Lucy to get specials but after first set is unlit one of the bottom slings gives 100000 and it is possible to feather the ball and score a lot of points without going into the gobble holes of doom!

Wayne Neyens was a total genius the way he designed these games with their multiple ways of winning.

And it amazes me how balanced most of them are in that there may be 5 ways to win but only during a game does it become apparent which one might pay off in the game.

#175 7 years ago

I've been trying to justify paying almost as much for shipping as this Screamo in the marketplace costs. Looking at the flyer for this game the ruleset is pure genius!

Screamo_(resized).jpgScreamo_(resized).jpg

image-3_(resized).jpgimage-3_(resized).jpg

#176 7 years ago

It looks fantastic but impulse flippers going to limit gameplay possibly and a few who played it at Allentown weren't blown away by gameplay.

Do love the look though. Can't believe no one picked it up at Allentown as those local there would be zero shipping.

#177 7 years ago

Must have been one of the last impulse flipper games. On my Pinky they work fine though and add to the challenge of timing your shot. These games are a little shorter front to back than the regular flipper games of their time. Harry Mabs designed this one. It is pretty tempting as it may be the only one left in that condition.

#178 7 years ago

Maybe the front of the cabinet put buyers off? That big piece of metal is a shame - not sure why it is there.

#179 7 years ago

I played the Screamo at Allentown and, although it was in very nice condition, I wasn't impressed with the game. Impulse flippers are not necessarily a negative, but I don't recall this game being as lively as it could have been. My Freshie has impulse flippers that work fine and, as o-din states, they add to the challenge of timing your shot.

The only metal on the front is the coin acceptor. The wooden door is painted.

#180 7 years ago

I have two impulse games and have been thinking that may be enough. I haven't got to play Speed Way yet as it is still a project. Pinky has such a creative layout and rule set that I'm thinking it may be hard to beat as far as impulse games go. However a friend of mine has an immaculate Struggle Buggies and I am looking forward to playing it. If nothing else it is a neat looking machine.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I played the Screamo at Allentown and, although it was in very nice condition, I wasn't impressed with the game. Impulse flippers are not necessarily a negative, but I don't recall this game being as lively as it could have been. My Freshie has impulse flippers that work fine and, as o-din states, they add to the challenge of timing your shot.
The only metal on the front is the coin acceptor. The wooden door is painted.

Maybe it has been removed since this photo?

611504a7f8d272f2686e01dc361e0dd61bd26eb0.jpg611504a7f8d272f2686e01dc361e0dd61bd26eb0.jpg

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have two impulse games and have been thinking that may be enough. I haven't got to play Speed Way yet as it is still a project. Pinky has such a creative layout and rule set that I'm thinking it may be hard to beat as far as impulse games go. However a friend of mine has an immaculate Struggle Buggies and I am looking forward to playing it. If nothing else it is a neat looking machine.

I had to go look that game up!

Love the art.

image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#183 7 years ago

It's one that got by me. He called me up one day and said I'm getting a Struggle Buggies! And I said a what?

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It's one that got by me. He called me up one day and said I'm getting a Struggle Buggies! And I said a what?

And a 1953 game with score reels!

This must be a super rare game I would guess.

Backglass is great.

b20df9b75cd74781ffd23786f287b.jpgb20df9b75cd74781ffd23786f287b.jpg

#185 7 years ago

And a 1953 game with score reels!

They made six games with score reels but then decided that idea probably would never fly. They added those dummy reels so people would still feel they were scoring millions of points. Looks like our friend Vic had a Gun Club at one time.

image-1_(resized).jpgimage-1_(resized).jpg

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They made six games with score reels but then decided that idea probably would never fly. They added those dummy reels so people would still feel they were scoring millions of points. Looks like our friend Vic had a Gun Club at one time.

Yes, he did. I remember him getting this game. Vic is not a woodrail kind of guy. He sold it to someone somewhere. I wish I would have grabbed it. He also had a Williams "Naples". Somebody drove from Colorado to get it. It's the only one I've ever seen. I doubt I'll ever see another one.

#187 7 years ago

Some games are just nice to look at, and nothing more. They are works of art that you can play.

#188 7 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of a woodrail called co-op? A guy at work has one, and wants to sell it, but he didnt have pics, didnt know manufacturer, or really anything about it. Figured id check on here for info

#189 7 years ago

****he did say it is a flipperless game

#190 7 years ago

Ok, its a coed i guess. Backglass is beautiful. Good looking game. Does anyone know anything about the value or fun factor?

4814_(resized).jpeg4814_(resized).jpeg

4817_(resized).jpeg4817_(resized).jpeg

#191 7 years ago

No idea on value but it certainly is a nice looking game. And it looks a bit more interesting than your typical non-flipper game from this era. I wonder if it kicks the ball back out below those Jitterbug covers?

#192 7 years ago

1956 Gottlieb Classy Bowler Fully Shopped. New Pop Bumpers and Flippers Rebuilt. Bumper caps are original and still have the original bodies set aside. Backglass touched up and sealed. Half a dozen broken wires from old solder joints,replaced some light sockets, needed 6 coils and had a couple feedback shorts from them I had to track down but getting closer to that 100% working status. Waiting for the last round of parts. Super fun nudgers delight game.

DSC09046_(resized).JPGDSC09046_(resized).JPG

DSC09047_(resized).JPGDSC09047_(resized).JPG

DSC09048_(resized).JPGDSC09048_(resized).JPG

DSC09049_(resized).JPGDSC09049_(resized).JPG

DSC09050_(resized).JPGDSC09050_(resized).JPG

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

No idea on value but it certainly is a nice looking game. And it looks a bit more interesting than your typical non-flipper game from this era. I wonder if it kicks the ball back out below those Jitterbug covers?

It kind of looks like it hits the skill shot pops and that would kick it back out. He said its not working, i may offer him something just to have the backglass

#194 7 years ago

Well, it looks like im going to buy it. Ill try and get it up and running, and if i ever sell it i have to split the profits with him.

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

1956 Gottlieb Classy Bowler Fully Shopped. New Pop Bumpers and Flippers Rebuilt. Bumper caps are original and still have the original bodies set aside. Backglass touched up and sealed. Half a dozen broken wires from old solder joints,replaced some light sockets, needed 6 coils and had a couple feedback shorts from them I had to track down but getting closer to that 100% working status. Waiting for the last round of parts. Super fun nudgers delight game.

Very nice Ken! A great woodrail and one of the three in my collection that I decided to definitely keep.

Mine still needs to be restored, but in the meantime, I've enjoyed this video featuring another nice Classy Bowler in action:

#196 7 years ago

Coed and Bowler look like nice games. Bowler is very Classy looking. Like that cabinet art. Eye catching. You guys and your woodrails. Sure makes me want to get one !

#197 7 years ago

Ok I'm in - I picked up a woodrail today ! It's a project, but it's a start. Title sucked me in and it was close by so what the heck ...

Appropriately the title is WISCONSIN. United 1948. First United game with flippers aka control kickers.

wisconsin_pinball_flyer_(resized).jpgwisconsin_pinball_flyer_(resized).jpg

#198 7 years ago

Some quick pictures of Wisconsin woodrail

DSCN7334_(resized).JPGDSCN7334_(resized).JPG

DSCN7340_(resized).JPGDSCN7340_(resized).JPG

DSCN7336_(resized).JPGDSCN7336_(resized).JPG

DSCN7338_(resized).JPGDSCN7338_(resized).JPG

#199 7 years ago

That's a real looker. Congrats! I had only heard of that game recently, but what a great pin to KEEP in Wisconsin.

#200 7 years ago

Awesome cabinet graphics on that game. Real sweet all around.

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.