20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.
#1501 2 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

Thanks! I have a Gottlieb criss cross that also has the abandoned “game over” in the artwork. I figured the match would be the way to go for pulling voltage at the right time, but hadn’t dug into it yet.

Ditto on my '57 Gottlieb "Royal Flush". Did the modification years ago.

1630592577680-32943075 (resized).jpg1630592577680-32943075 (resized).jpg
#1502 2 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Here's a video of it, as requested:
https://vimeo.com/128299295
As with all my titles, I am appreciative for the restoration help and guidance from Pinrescue...
Joel

Great pop bumper action for a wood rail, and multi ball too. LOL Playfield looks like a 99 out of 100. Nice.

#1503 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Thanks. My 3rd one, but the additions absolutely 100% has to stop here. haha

Wish I had the room for an addition to the house. But thinking of building a Pin shed, insulated, heated and cooled, in the back corner of the back yard. Would hold about 10 games. Probably a late winter, spring project.

#1504 2 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Bulb holder installed in 'vacant hole' with x2 leads

This morning I added the "Game Over" socket and bulb. Not yet having a schematic (it came in the afternoon)
and not having many Replay machines, I didn't think of tapping into the match feature.
The Game Over Relay already has a 6 V set of switches that's closed when tripped (game 0ver).
So I ran a led off of that, soldered in an open prong that was in a head's jones plug, and all is fine.
Only took maybe half hour, but I'm sure the match feature route would have been quicker.

#1505 2 years ago

Well, I think I have the Rocket Ship pretty much ready for the line up.
She's a pretty good looker, but mechanically was another story especially
the 10,000 Step Up. After changing all the cobbed up springs, I had it working
okay, then last night it was behaving radically. I took it apart and saw the problem.
The plunger's arm must have been bad, and got much worse as I was trouble
shooting, and would you know it, I just placed a PBR order (which came in today), so
early this morning I hunted in the bens and found one from a Wedge Head's stepper
that looked pretty darn close. With a little fabricating, got it to work and the 10,000
Unit is now performing issue free..

IMG_0690 (resized).JPGIMG_0690 (resized).JPGIMG_0691 (resized).JPGIMG_0691 (resized).JPGIMG_0692 (resized).JPGIMG_0692 (resized).JPG

#1506 2 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Bulb holder installed in 'vacant hole' with x2 leads

Oh yes. Also, Thank You for taking the time sending those pics.
Very much appreciated..
I'll keep that method in mind if the same situation comes up again. (T)

#1507 2 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Would hold about 10 games. Probably a late winter, spring project.

10 additional pins set up is quite a bit, but be careful.
I tried that and it turned into pin storage. So I tried it
a 2nd time, and same thing. haha..

#1508 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

10 additional pins set up is quite a bit, but be careful.
I tried that and it turned into pin storage. So I tried it
a 2nd time, and same thing. haha..

Hopefully my love of playing will avoid it becoming storage. Plus only have 1 wood rail now, would let me add to that total. My Spot Bowler is lonely. Although have had a couple others, just not keepers like SB. BTW: anybody have ideas for a back corner of a slightly larger than typical back yard shed, looking for ideas. Planning at the moment, building in the corner, with two "wings" going each way slightly.

#1509 2 years ago

That Rocket Ship really looks nice !

Very nice wood rail line up you have going. Two thumbs up.

#1510 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

That Rocket Ship really looks nice !

Thank You.
I'm pretty much metal rail, but years back after seeing a Rocket Ship in a local listing,
I called, and it turned out I knew him.
He did all the cosmetic work including shopping out the playfield with new components,
but he didn't touch the mechanics. I found receipts in the envelope, and quite a little bit
was spent on cosmetic pieces including two new cigarette holders which I'll be attaching
once I pick up the proper screws.. (T)

IMG_0694 (resized).JPGIMG_0694 (resized).JPG

#1511 2 years ago

Well, the last 5 machines I went through were woodrails, and they're now
all side by side in a line up..
Only a couple others played these machines so far, and they said they favor
Fun House, and as much as I like the others (especially Gusher and Sea Wolf),
I think I have to agree..

IMG_0695 (resized).JPGIMG_0695 (resized).JPG
#1512 2 years ago

After doing 5 straight woodrails, I was planning on doing some early 60s machines,
but I think I'll slip B-a-P in next.
After cleaning, the playfield should turn out decent, but it could surely use a set of plastics.
I already sent an email to Shay, but for backup, does anyone know of anyone else
that may possible carry a set?
Oh, and yes. No question. That femmie pattern on the Card Tray and side walls will
be going..

IMG_0696 (resized).JPGIMG_0696 (resized).JPGIMG_0697 (resized).JPGIMG_0697 (resized).JPG
#1513 2 years ago

For a guy that isn't into woodrails you sure have a hell of a collection.

#1514 2 years ago

haha. Over the years if seeing a desirable machine and was able to trade and not have shipped,
I picked it up. Outside of the woodrail Flipper and a couple Guys Dolls, I believe B-a-P is the last
of the woodrail pins..

#1515 2 years ago

I know that tomcons has made the plastics. Ask him if he will make you a set. He was offering them on Facebook at one point back in May.

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I know that tomcons has made the plastics.

Okay, I'll give him a try. Thanks!

#1517 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

For a guy that isn't into woodrails you sure have a hell of a collection.

I wouldn't mind owning that row.

#1518 2 years ago

Im posting this on the woodrail site as I can't find any possible answers on the the tech side. I have a 1956 Harbor Lites and it's 98 % done but I have this issue of the hundred k unit skips so that when I am supposed to get 100k I usually get 200k. Does it on dead bumpers and if it goes in the gobble hole, it usually gives me 700k instead of 500k.
Im thinking it has to do with the score motor but wanted to get others opinions.

Thanks.

#1519 2 years ago
Quoted from Mastkey:

Im posting this on the woodrail site as I can't find any possible answers on the the tech side. I have a 1956 Harbor Lites and it's 98 % done but I have this issue of the hundred k unit skips so that when I am supposed to get 100k I usually get 200k.

I had what sounds like a similar problem on an earlier Gottlieb and the culprit was a spring on the 100k stepper. In my machine's case, it was happening when 500k should have been awarded--as the stepper was stepping up each of the five steps, it would occasionally "double step" on a step. At the time it was happening, I wasn't sure if the step up coil was getting too many pulses (i.e., an electrical issue) or if it was the stepper causing the problem (i.e., a mechanical issue). I ultimately figured it out by recording a video of the 100k stepper during the awarding of 500k and could then see on the slowed down video that the armature on the stepper was "bouncing" and stepping up more than once every now and then. Either I replaced the main spring (largest if I remember right) on the armature or attached the spring so that it was a tad bit tighter--at least this solved my machine's problem and I haven't seen it since.

Good luck!

#1520 2 years ago

Thanks for your response, Ill check it out and see if anything changes.

#1521 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I had what sounds like a similar problem on an earlier Gottlieb and the culprit was a spring on the 100k stepper. In my machine's case, it was happening when 500k should have been awarded--as the stepper was stepping up each of the five steps, it would occasionally "double step" on a step. At the time it was happening, I wasn't sure if the step up coil was getting too many pulses (i.e., an electrical issue) or if it was the stepper causing the problem (i.e., a mechanical issue). I ultimately figured it out by recording a video of the 100k stepper during the awarding of 500k and could then see on the slowed down video that the armature on the stepper was "bouncing" and stepping up more than once every now and then. Either I replaced the main spring (largest if I remember right) on the armature or attached the spring so that it was a tad bit tighter--at least this solved my machine's problem and I haven't seen it since.
Good luck!

I am in the process of restoring a GTB 1946 Superliner and had the same problem (2000 rather than 1000 on the dead bumpers) and same solution. That is the main spring on the up coil appeared to lack tension. Placed a second spring on the mech and no problem. At some time I will 'test' a new spring.

#1522 2 years ago
Quoted from Mastkey:

I have a 1956 Harbor Lites and it's 98 % done but I have this issue of the hundred k unit skips so that when I am supposed to get 100k I usually get 200k. Does it on dead bumpers and if it goes in the gobble hole, it usually gives me 700k instead of 500k.

I would check the stepper unit(s) for proper mechanical operation and check a parts diagram to be sure the springs are hooked up correctly and make sure the contacts are lined up with the wipers. Tightening the screws in the switch stacks often helps because over time the switch stacks loosen causing mis-adjustments of switch blade gapping. Check for broken switch blades on the stepper units too. I don't think anything's wrong with the score motor unless the switch stacks are loose or a blade broke or there was a hack job.
Let us know what you find. Would be good to know the solution.

#1523 2 years ago

Well, been spending a little time going through the B-a-P and got her playing nicely..
As faded as it is, I don't mind the aging look of the cabinet at all, but the front was
painted a dark green with a couple of runs and needed body filling, so had no choice
but doing some sanding and repair..
Once all painted, wish I knew a matching way to give that front a 65 year old look..
Oh yes, I checked, and no plastics presently available, so I cut blanks, and going
to have a set made..

IMG_0700 (resized).JPGIMG_0700 (resized).JPGIMG_0701 (resized).JPGIMG_0701 (resized).JPG
#1524 2 years ago

Today I spent most of the day adding a little music to the Balls-a-Poppin.
Because each score reel gets fed directly through The Player Step Up (no
Score Relays), each Player's 1s and 10s Score Reels had to have its own
individual relay to impulse the bells, thus, instead of a 1/2 hour, it was
pretty much an all day job..
It might not look very professional, but what a difference during game
play especially when those "Wild Balls" get released..

IMG_0702 (resized).JPGIMG_0702 (resized).JPG
#1525 2 years ago

A couple of questions about impulse flippers...

1. Aside from Williams, were there other manufacturers that featured them on their machines? I believe I recall that Genco had them, but don't know for sure.

2. Are all impulse flippers operated by pressing either flipper button or are there some machines with impulse flippers that are independently operated by separate buttons?

3. When did Williams' impulse flippers finally disappear? Clay mentions on his pinrepair site that they went away in mid-1955 (i.e., "Luckily by mid-1955, Williams had sobered up and replaced the impulse flipper with a standard Gottlieb-style flipper design," http://www.pinrepair.com/wmswood/), but which machine was the last to have them (or which was the first not to have them)?

Below are the machines that ipdb lists as being produced by Williams in 1955:

1955-03 Peter Pan
1955-03 Race the Clock
1955-04 Poker Alley
1955-04 Wonderland
1955-05 Band Wagon
1955-05 Smoke Signal
1955-05 Three Deuces
1955-08 Can Can
1955-08 Circus Wagon
1955-08 Regatta
1955-08 Snafu

There is a youtube video of Smoke Signal (May 1955 production) that gives the impression that it had non-impulse flippers (and they're independently operated by separate buttons), but it's hard to know whether or not the machine was retrofitted with them.

#1526 2 years ago

Not sure what last one is, but I do enjoy the impulse flippers on my Screamo. It's something different for sure, really gotta time your flips. Glad nobody did the "upgrade" on them, I probably would have been to lazy to reverse.

#1527 2 years ago

Genco most definitely used impulse flippers on many of their games.

#1528 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Genco most definitely used impulse flippers on many of their games.

Cool! Any ideas which ones have them? Was Genco like Williams and used them for a particular period of time and then switched over to "regular" flippers?

I just searched for "impulse" in the "Notable Features" box on IPDB and the following show up in results (aside from a retheme and others that don't have impulse flippers based on the info given for individual machines):

1948-10 Sally Chicago Coin
1949-07 Golden Gloves Chicago Coin
1950-02 South Pacific Genco
1951-03 Hits and Runs Genco
1948-09 Rainbow Williams
1949-11 De-Icer Williams
1950-05 Sweetheart Williams
1951-05 Harvey Williams
1951-09 Spark Plugs Williams
1952-05 Olympics Williams
1952-11 Disk Jockey Williams
1953-02 Silver Skates Williams
1953-12 Nine Sisters Williams
1954-01 Thunderbird Williams
1954-02 Skyway Williams
1954-05 Big Ben Williams
1954-12 Lulu Williams

Clearly not all Williams machines from 1955 and before are listed (even though all pre-1955 and maybe some 1955 ones have impulse flippers) presumably because not all records in IPDB show that machines have impulse features even though they do (e.g., Screamo--see https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2072). A couple of Genco and Chicago Coin machines are listed, but I suspect that not all the machines from these manufactures that have impulse flippers show up in this search for the same reason that not all the Williams ones do.

#1529 2 years ago

I once owned a Genco "Camel Caravan", and it had impulse flippers. I believe it's from 1947.

#1530 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I once owned a Genco "Camel Caravan", and it had impulse flippers. I believe it's from 1947.

I was just looking at that one on IPDB (https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=421) as it was one that I thought I remembered has impulse flippers (but isn't indicated as such on IPDB--"Notable Features: 5 balls per play. Flippers (2), Passive bumpers (4), Kick-out holes (7).").

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I believe it's from 1947.

June 30, 1949

#1532 2 years ago

I know that WMS Shoot the Moon had impulse flipper
but that was well before 1955.

#1533 2 years ago

I had Williams Jigsaw from 1957. That has standard flippers.

#1534 2 years ago

The pinrepair.com website indicates that Williams changed from impulse to standard flippers in mid 1955. When I went looking for my first woodrail, I sonly wanted a post impulse flipper game...if it was a Williams. Since then, I've played many games with impulse flippers and have found that they are just as enjoyable if they are working properly.

#1535 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

A couple of questions about impulse flippers...
1. Aside from Williams, were there other manufacturers that featured them on their machines? I believe I recall that Genco had them, but don't know for sure.
2. Are all impulse flippers operated by pressing either flipper button or are there some machines with impulse flippers that are independently operated by separate buttons?
3. When did Williams' impulse flippers finally disappear? Clay mentions on his pinrepair site that they went away in mid-1955 (i.e., "Luckily by mid-1955, Williams had sobered up and replaced the impulse flipper with a standard Gottlieb-style flipper design," http://www.pinrepair.com/wmswood/), but which machine was the last to have them (or which was the first not to have them)?
Below are the machines that ipdb lists as being produced by Williams in 1955:
1955-03 Peter Pan
1955-03 Race the Clock
1955-04 Poker Alley
1955-04 Wonderland
1955-05 Band Wagon
1955-05 Smoke Signal
1955-05 Three Deuces
1955-08 Can Can
1955-08 Circus Wagon
1955-08 Regatta
1955-08 Snafu
There is a youtube video of Smoke Signal (May 1955 production) that gives the impression that it had non-impulse flippers (and they're independently operated by separate buttons), but it's hard to know whether or not the machine was retrofitted with them.

I'm bringing a Keeney Poker Face ('63) to York that came factory with the impulse design. Each flipper had two coils, a "flip" and "drop out" coil. This was Keeney's last impulse flipper game, as their next-in-line off production - Colorama - sported the dual wound configuration that we're all accustomed to today. I reconfigured the game with dual wound Bally coils that closely matched the originals in ohm/voltage rating and the game is so much more enjoyable.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Poker Face is probably the last pin game with an impulse flipper design!

#1536 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

impulse flippers...

My 1953 Williams Grand Champion has impulse flippers and it was fun learning how to play with them. My thinking is the playfield was designed with the impulse flippers in mind, not the flippers we have today. I don't think this game would play right if it was changed over to regular flippers.

I recorded a video of the impulse flippers that you might be interested in seeing. Either flipper button on either side will activate both impulse flippers at the same time.

1 week later
#1537 2 years ago

Has anyone reproduced the "balls played" decal used on 57-58 Williams woodrail aprons with a ball trough window?

#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

My 1953 Williams Grand Champion has impulse flippers and it was fun learning how to play with them. My thinking is the playfield was designed with the impulse flippers in mind, not the flippers we have today. I don't think this game would play right if it was changed over to regular flippers.

I recorded a video of the impulse flippers that you might be interested in seeing. Either flipper button on either side will activate both impulse flippers at the same time.

Thanks for the video! I have only played a few machines (Skyway and Lazy-Q) with impulse flippers and although I thought I wouldn't like them, was intrigued by the difference in style of play.

I'm hoping to pick one up one day, but haven't seen any come up for sale and am occasionally unsure whether a particular machine has them or not. I understand that Williams machines until sometime in 1955 and some Genco and Chicago Coin machines had them and have tried to identity particular machines with them by searching ipdb (which only sometimes differentiates impulse from "normal" flippers) and looking at available videos of game play, but haven't been able to compile a complete list yet.

#1539 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Has anyone reproduced the "balls played" decal used on 57-58 Williams woodrail aprons with a ball trough window?

Not to my knowledge, but it wouldn't be too hard for someone with Photoshop type skills. (Not me!)

#1540 2 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:Has anyone reproduced the "balls played" decal used on 57-58 Williams woodrail aprons with a ball trough window?

If anyone decides to reproduce them, I'll take a couple.

#1541 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

was intrigued by the difference in style of play

Yeah. It's like hitting the ball with small baseball bats. You have to time the impulse flippers because you can't trap the ball with them. I enjoy them on this game.

1 month later
#1542 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rapid fire knocking has a certain charm about it.

For rapid fire knocker, I just don't think you can beat my Twin Bill. When you get all three lights lit on center target and a high score which lights one of the gobble holes you can bang off four rapid fire, or if good you can keep banging that center target for three in a row each hit..

1 week later
#1543 2 years ago

Finally picked up and fixed up a Williams (Times Square) to have a machine with impulse flippers. Cabinet was painted green and wood trim was all painted beige, but cleaned up well. Flippers are strong!

#1544 2 years ago

Accidentally hit “send post” before I had a chance to add a photo and finish the post above about the Times Square...

There are a couple of bare spots on the playfield (in front of the automatic flippers in the lower corners) and the bottom of the backglass has some flaked off paint, but otherwise is complete and is now working as it should.
55E51E53-5598-4C7D-A44D-4E06B147E82A (resized).jpeg55E51E53-5598-4C7D-A44D-4E06B147E82A (resized).jpeg
I had to replace the pop bumper skirts as these were warped and resembled Pringle’s chips. This machine has the skirts with metal rods and graphite rings and so I had to modify a pair of skirts I had on hand by cutting off the plastic extensions on them, drilling a small hole and transferring the rods from the original ones to the new ones.
3F7B6EB4-B471-4B26-87C2-99D97F7EE9F9 (resized).jpeg3F7B6EB4-B471-4B26-87C2-99D97F7EE9F9 (resized).jpeg

#1545 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Hi Bruce - Would it possible for you to post a couple of pics of the impulse flipper mechs under pf pls? Thks Wayne

#1546 2 years ago

Picked up my first woodrail. Gottlieb Dancing Dolls.

20211114_171302 (resized).jpg20211114_171302 (resized).jpg
#1547 2 years ago

Fun but tough game. It will kick your butt but so satisfying when you rack a few replays.

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Accidentally hit “send post” before I had a chance to add a photo and finish the post above about the Times Square...
There are a couple of bare spots on the playfield (in front of the automatic flippers in the lower corners) and the bottom of the backglass has some flaked off paint, but otherwise is complete and is now working as it should.
[quoted image]
I had to replace the pop bumper skirts as these were warped and resembled Pringle’s chips. This machine has the skirts with metal rods and graphite rings and so I had to modify a pair of skirts I had on hand by cutting off the plastic extensions on them, drilling a small hole and transferring the rods from the original ones to the new ones.
[quoted image]

Nice job on the pop skirts. I had one where the skirt and rod was damaged. Used a modern skirt, cut the post and drilled a small hole thorough the middle. Then pressure fit a slightly larger long thin nail through the middle. Worked great.

#1549 2 years ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

Picked up my first woodrail. Gottlieb Dancing Dolls.
[quoted image]

Good game, and very attractive.
One of only a handful of games with six active pop bumpers.
I believe that it's the only Gottlieb woodrail with six pops.

#1550 2 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Hi Bruce - Would it possible for you to post a couple of pics of the impulse flipper mechs under pf pls? Thks Wayne

Hi Wayner - It's hard to show the impulse flipper mechanics with the trap hole trough in the way. I recorded a short video while actuating one of the flippers. Hope it helps you. I can post pics too.

Bruce

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/31?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.