20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg
There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 36.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

No wonder it was a MEGA earner in the 50's.

Fromtiersman is a mega earner in 2016. Although I wish it wouldn't give out so many free games...

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

pasted_image_(resized).png

Hmmm... my feelings about that too, captured in a picture.

#103 7 years ago

Did I say something wrong?

#104 7 years ago

No, just hoping you're not right, that's all.

#105 7 years ago

Here is a game that used to be in high demand but it seems off the radar at the moment.

Beautiful art and colors, deep purple etc.

I have as much fun playing this with it's multiple ways to win than any modern game out there and I have played most and owned a lot.

1952 Coronation.

The glow and the warmth of the game make me feel good before I even shoot a ball.

IMG_9598.JPGIMG_9598.JPG

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Oh, OK. I may not be 100% correct, but I see less and less newcomers interested in what we are doing. Most want a machine with loud music, guys yelling at them, ramps to hit a million times a game and silly licensed themes that are no longer relevant. But there are exceptions....

#107 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I may not be 100% correct, but I see less and less newcomers interested in what we are doing. Most want a machine with loud music, guys yelling at them, ramps to hit a million times a game and silly licensed themes that are no longer relevant.

Unless you grew up with them (as I did too), EMs are pretty much an acquired taste now. Not really surprising though is it?

Woodrails even more so. Speaking of which, I'm offering opportunities to acquire tasteful games from my personal collection:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tims_pinball_pics/albums

Just add love!

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm offering opportunities to acquire tasteful games from my personal collection:

Look at him go!

I think you already sold the ones I wanted while I was on hiatus, but GLWS!

#109 7 years ago

People like what they grew up with. I hear that stated a lot and it makes sense. My earliest pinball memories are that transition era in the late 70s from EM to SS. That era hasn't been a collecting focus for me in quite awhile. I think nostalgia is big part of what gets people interested in the hobby. But like Odin, after I sort of explored that I moved on to other eras. The great thing about this hobby is there is so many directions you can go. My guess is after the new generation fully explores the games they grew up with they will be curious enough to discover the earlier eras. At least some of them will hopefully...

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

My guess is after the new generation fully explores the games they grew up with they will be curious enough to discover the earlier eras. At least some of them will hopefully...

There is always the possibility that new pinballs will stop being made and then they may have no choice...

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Here is a game that used to be in high demand but it seems off the radar at the moment.
Beautiful art and colors, deep purple etc.
I have as much fun playing this with it's multiple ways to win than any modern game out there and I have played most and owned a lot.
1952 Coronation.
The glow and the warmth of the game make me feel good before I even shoot a ball.
IMG_9598.JPG

Beautiful game and it should be on the radar!
J

#112 7 years ago

More great pictures and posts. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to have to find a nice woodrail ! The vertical games posted earlier - don't think I ever seen one of those. Lots of attractive games too - Lady Robin Hood I have seen before and definitely catches the eye. Many others too. All the games posted up are nice. I am sure there are many titles that would suit my want. Will have to start looking. Anybody not too far from me have a nice one they want to part with ?

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Anybody not too far from me have a nice one they want to part with ?

Define "not too far".

AND I offer complimentary vehicle loading assistance for every game purchased from me!

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

Yeah, that was it...

Would just like to see these great EM's live on and be appreciated by future generations.

Be a real shame if they didn't, unfortunately... only time will tell.

But in the meantime, I will try to do my part... and instill the love.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Would just like to see these great EM's live on and be appreciated by future generations.

Thank goodness my daughter's taking auto shop at school. She will be able to maintain them when I'm gone.

#116 7 years ago

Im dreaming after seeing some of these pics!
Some look like Crazy Fun!

Ill need to find one the guys here in FL that has some to try out!

Might be following you, O-din, in some way.....
How many Wood Rails can I trade a White Water for?

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Might be following you, O-din, in some way.....
How many Wood Rails can I trade a White Water for?

You will run out of space before money. I spend a lot more time just looking at these than I ever did my DMDs. But it was nice to get it out of my system. I just picked up a couple nice system 11s in Cyclone, Earthshaker, and Whirlwind and that is all the modern pinball fix I need anymore. Especially Cyclone.

#118 7 years ago

There's also a vintage Cyclone. Here's a 1951 Gottlieb Cyclone in storage awaiting shopping....

cyclone_(resized).jpgcyclone_(resized).jpg

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Thank goodness my daughter's taking auto shop at school. She will be able to maintain them when I'm gone.

Yes, your machines will have the cleanest oil and air filters in the land.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Most want a machine with loud music, guys yelling at them, ramps to hit a million times a game and silly licensed themes that are no longer relevant. But there are exceptions....

I guess my experience is with the 14 yr old and under crowd (my kids, their friends and cousins ages). I've seen and heard their reactions to the new stuff. They all don't like them. Say it's confusing and the ball is always disappearing. When they go to places with pins they only play video/redemption games. But the EMs at my house? They love them (not my two kids actually but that is another story). But, my point is that the majority of the kids like ems and not the new. Kind of cool. (In my experience)

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

I guess my experience is with the 14 yr old and under crowd (my kids, their friends and cousins ages). I've seen and heard their reactions to the new stuff. They all don't like them.

My kid's the same way. She stopped playing the newer games a long time ago. But when she come up every few weeks she beats everybody on the EMS and is just as enthused as we are.

Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Yes, your machines will have the cleanest oil and air filters in the land.

I always joke that pinball machines are just like cars but no oil, no filter, no wheels , no tires, no brakes.

Quoted from oldcarz:

There's also a vintage Cyclone. Here's a 1951 Gottlieb Cyclone in storage awaiting shopping....

There is also a vintage Whirl-Wind. I bought one yesterday but it is missing some parts. This one's not mine.

image-6_(resized).jpgimage-6_(resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago

I have four grandkids... luckily, all boys.

I'm hoping at least 'one' of them will get the bug.

Be nice to see the collection stay intact... and stay in the family.

We shall see.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

There is also a vintage Whirl-Wind. I bought one yesterday but it is missing some parts. This one's not mine.
image-6_(resized).jpg

That's Rafael Lankar's game. He likes the red legs. I think I do too.

#124 7 years ago

The one I got is missing the backglass and plastics from what I can tell. It might be a tough one to bring back.

#125 7 years ago

Hmmmmm....

Backglass_(resized).jpgBackglass_(resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago

Working on these comes natural to me as I fixed automotive electrical problems, and believe me these are much easier. I was one of the last guys around here that could service points and carburetors.

This may have been one of the first relay banks I ever saw. Anybody care to guess what they do?

$_35_(resized).JPG$_35_(resized).JPG

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Anybody care to guess what they do?

Spare solenoids for 20 Fords' from 1965 to 1983 (or so)

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Spare solenoids for 20 Fords' from 1965 to 1983 (or so)

Nope, they all line up in that bracket and when all wired up they serve one purpose.

1957_Fairlane500_l_(resized).jpg1957_Fairlane500_l_(resized).jpg

#129 7 years ago

Skyliner!

*oh you beat me by a minute

#130 7 years ago

I know, this thread's supposed to be about woodrails.

ef9171fce7eafc92c17ecd04b9b122df_(resized).jpgef9171fce7eafc92c17ecd04b9b122df_(resized).jpg

#131 7 years ago

Oh Yeah! Now Lets see a picture of that with a Mint wood rail in the Back!

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh Yeah! Now Lets see a picture of that with a Mint wood rail in the Back!

First I'd need the mint woody! I'm think I'm done with cars though. My trusty 2001 Tacoma should hang tough for the remainder I hope.

I read about you getting out of the business because of health issues, and I don't think anything could be less stressful and more healthy than going this direction. Sure has made me feel good!

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know, this thread's supposed to be about woodrails.

Well, if you're going to go there ...

Chris_Craft_(resized).jpgChris_Craft_(resized).jpg

#134 7 years ago

Well, if you're going to go there ...

My old man had a 1957 Hunter. He spent a lot of time varnishing that boat. There was a Chris Craft right next to it.

#135 7 years ago

Always good to have a Woodie of one sort or another.

#136 7 years ago

Some v nice woodies available and just posted in em section.

*ok it's about time I ask...how do you link to another post?

#138 7 years ago

Link doesn't seem to work? Maybe he is keeping the house now?

#139 7 years ago

No, EM hangout is no longer it's own island. We have to play by the same rules as everybody else now.

So maybe they will start taking us seriously too.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Copy.... and....paste...

That was my post. I forgot about the new rule regarding ads. Anyone who is interested can send me a PM for details. I might post ads eventually, but I don't want the hassle for the moment. (I know most of the regulars in this forum and would prefer to communicate with this group first.) Also, for the record, I do contribute to Pinside automatically every month.

#141 7 years ago

Unless you grew up with them (as I did too), EMs are pretty much an acquired taste now. Not really surprising though is it?
Woodrails even more so. Speaking of which, I'm offering opportunities to acquire tasteful games from my personal collection:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tims_pinball_pics/albums
Just add love!

I enjoyed looking at your photos on your flicker page of games. Nice pictures. It was fun to look at them. Nice camera work and enjoyable looking at closeups etc and general shots. Nice camera work.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

a 1957 Hunter

Pops liked to fish.

SCAN0025_(resized).JPGSCAN0025_(resized).JPG

#143 7 years ago

Looks like the Jig Saw is gone. I have two other woodrails I'd consider selling. If anyone is interested, please PM me. I bought these both from well-known folks on this forum and would prefer to sell within the EM community.

#144 7 years ago

Just curious...... where do you get parts for these older 'woodrails' ?

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

where do you get parts for these older 'woodrails' ?

Wherever you can.

Image_Resize_Detail.asp_(resized).jpegImage_Resize_Detail.asp_(resized).jpeg

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wherever you can.

Image_Resize_Detail.asp_(resized).jpeg

Yep - Pinball Resource, eBay, other collectors, secondhand parts show vendors, other woodrails, etc.

#147 7 years ago

Yep - Pinball Resource, eBay, other collectors, secondhand parts show vendors, other woodrails, etc.

OK...... I was afraid it would be a 'hit or miss' quest trying to find parts.
Thanks......

#148 7 years ago

People's rating of woodrails seems to vary a lot as well.

My favorite at the moment is Lovely Lucy 1954 ( greatest year ever for pinball ? ) .

Many say Lucy sucks as a player with 6 gobble holes but I just find it addictive to try and unlight the bumpers 3 times - very very hard to so. The lighting is so mesmeric it just sucks me right in. I just love the whole art package as well.

So, no way is it the best player I have but it would be one of the last to leave for sure.

IMG_9600.JPGIMG_9600.JPG

IMG_9599.JPGIMG_9599.JPG

#149 7 years ago

I would have to believe that anyone who says a given game "sucks" is because they have experienced a poorly playing version. Well tuned, sharp playing "C" titles are a world of difference than a poorly playing "A" title. Additionally, some tend to denigrate a given game simply because they are not skilled enough to play these games and prefer the easier games to master.
You are correct to stand by your gem that has been well restored and will be the last to leave your possession. As in any collectible....condition before title is a major influence.
Best of luck with it!
J

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

I would have to believe that anyone who says a given game "sucks" is because they have experienced a poorly playing version. Well tuned, sharp playing "C" titles are a world of difference than a poorly playing "A" title. Additionally, some tend to denigrate a given game simply because they are not skilled enough to play these games and prefer the easier games to master.
You are correct to stand by your gem that has been well restored and will be the last to leave your possession. As in any collectible....condition before title is a major influence.
Best of luck with it!
J

Thanks and agree 100% that condition is king for sure.

The other thing is how woodrails are rated. Some of the so called A titles are not that special in my eyes whereas other titles rank way higher. For example Lucy gets extra points from me because it is a true piece of nostalgia from the period. Lucille Ball on the backglass and the 'I Love Lucy' show is pretty iconic in it's time. I love games that relate to real events of that time, even though personally they are not nostalgic as I wasn't there!

Another category I have is the 'magic' factor - when you turn a game on and the effect of the lighting/art/whole package. Lucy for me is A + in this category.

But a lot of people really don't like have cruel and random the 6 gobble holes are.

The year 1954 was exceptional. I would be very happy to own every title from the year Not one bad game that year and most are classics. I did at one time wonder whether to try and collect all the titles but too difficult to find in great condition and no space to do so......

Here are Clay's ratings for 1954. Don't know much about the first 4 player game Super Jumbo except it was a monster earner according to Raphael Lankar who operated games in Paris.

Green Pastures, 1/54, 750 produced, A, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes.

Lovely Lucy, 2/54, 850 produced, B-, 6 gobble holes, backglass holdover replay feature.

Start of Double-Award games. (This allowed the player to put in an additional coin at the game start to double the number of any replays won. When one coin is inserted, the "thimble" light (on the lower ball arch) is lit, telling the player he can add another coin for a "double" game. This light stays on until the 10,000 unit is moved, turning off the ability for the player to add a coin for a "double" game. If a second coin was added, this will also turn the thimble light out, and the "double" light on the backglass goes on. Note the credit unit on a double game is slightly different than a conventional 1950s Gottlieb woodrail.) Start of game over and "balls played" lights on the lower ball arch (instead of a ball collect tray), balls now drop into lower ball arch. This now allowed the use of a "game over" light designation on backglass (though for sometime, the backglass had this designation, but didn't have a light bulb wired to light it!).

Mystic Marvel, 3/54, 1050 produced, A, 2 gobble holes, double-award, first game with "balls played" ball arch lights.

Jockey Club, 4/54, 1150 produced, B, 5 gobble holes.

Hawaiian Beauty, 5/54, 900 produced, A, 2 gobble holes, double-award, 3 pop bumpers below the flippers at bottom of playfield, balls played lights on lower ball arch.

Dragonette, 6/54, 950 produced, B+, 5 trap holes, double-award, BALL COLLECT TRAY, complete side bumpers 1 to 8 in order to light playfield replays, outstanding Roy Parker backglass and playfield art.

Daisy May, 7/54, 600 produced, A+, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes, double-award, 4 flippers at bottom of playfield, BALL COLLECT TRAY.

Gold Star, 8/54, 700 produced, C, 7 gobble holes, double-award, balls played lights on lower ball arch.

Lady Luck, 9/54, 700 produced, B, 4 gobble holes, 3 kick out holes, double-award, "balls played" ball arch lights.

4-Belles, 10/54, 400 produced, B+, 5 trap holes, double-award, Four Belles was an exact copy of Dragonette (6/54) except for different artwork. Because of that, this game uses a BALL COLLECT TRAY (and hence no "balls played" lights) and does not have a game over relay. LAST GAME TO USE TRAP HOLES, complete side bumpers 1 to 8 in order to light playfield replays, outstanding Roy Parker backglass and playfield art.

Diamond Lill, 12/54, 700 produced, A, 2 kick out holes, no gobble holes, no trap holes, double-award, center horseshoe around a pop bumper, reverse flippers. Has the old style BALL COLLECT TRAY (and hence no "balls played" lights) and does not have a game over relay (probably because this game was designed earlier and not released).
End of ball collect tray at bottom of playfield era.
End of Double-Award games.
Start of Multi-Player games (note these games do not use "balls played" lights on the lower ball arch).

Super Jumbo, 10/54, 500 produced, 4 player, Gottlieb's first 4 player woodrail game with score reels. Replays only awarded based on score.

Stage Coach, 11/54, 650 produced, B, 5 gobble holes, "balls played" ball arch lights.

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.