20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 36.
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I hope to find a Rocket some day.

Someone just listed one, price seems steep....

#1152 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

How did you light them?

LED kits from Ikea before they got expensive, and now LED strips around the inside of the metal frames.

#1153 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

LED kits from Ikea before they got expensive, and now LED strips around the inside of the metal frames.

Can you show us a picture of the insides of one? They do look great!!

#1154 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I'll say! And my playfield is way nicer than that one.

Rocket (resized).jpgRocket (resized).jpg

#1155 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Would you take $3500 for yours? If somebody wants my Kings for $3500 just let me know.

#1156 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Would you take $3500 for yours?

Sure. That would pay for Detroit Lockers in both axles. And then some!

#1157 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

I am looking for a Genco Trade Winds if anyone has one. The one I have is badly hacked.

I looked up Genco "Trade Winds" on IPDB, and it's interesting that there are two distinct cabinet types for this game. It's quite a coincidence that Williams "Trade Winds" is also found in two distinct cabinet types.

#1158 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Yeah, but I have the original deep blue backglass! Shay wanted to borrow mine to make a repro, but I told him to just make all the light blue areas deep blue.
I don't know of anyone else who has an original one. Funny thing though; I bought the game not realizing the difference. It was only upon driving home with it and talking to my brother about it that we realized that this one has a different colored backglass.

#1159 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, but I have the original deep blue backglass! Shay wanted to borrow mine to make a repro, but I told him to just make all the light blue areas deep blue.

Yep, you are the reason I couldn't get a light blue one from him. lol. But, turns out this one is perfect, and as far as the light blue, out of sight, out of mind now.

#1160 3 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I saw that and was very happy at first. When I saw the asking price I expected a pristine example. Then I saw only two pictures that showed a project game. I also noticed this was the persons first post and has just joined Pinside. My guess is they have the game over priced by about $3300. I did ask him for more pictures.

#1161 3 years ago

I can grab this for 850 locally
I'm not interested but can grab it if someone in this club wants it.
It looks nice but does not work.

20200616_132009 (resized).jpg20200616_132009 (resized).jpg
#1162 3 years ago

Wow, if that was local I would snatch it up. Neat, unique title.

Is it me or has the woodrail market been super dry lately? Haven’t seen many games pop up around these parts. I’ve been wanting to add one to my lineup. Crossing my fingers for for a good York show!

#1163 3 years ago

A nice Gottlieb Knockout just sold in Canada at auction for $881 USD online today. Don’t see those come up much.

#1164 3 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

I sent an e-mail to Wade to see what the process was to find out, but I haven't heard anything back

Ever hear anything back on the jigsaw playfields from Wade? If I remember correctly, he needed at least 20 people on board for previous playfield runs.

#1165 3 years ago

No, he has not replied, but I don't know Wade. Maybe if someone that has a working relationship with him could inquire...?

2 weeks later
#1166 3 years ago

After months of only being able to get a "good" rating, yesterday I had an awesome game of almost 7mil. When it was over saw the "super" was lit. I'm guessing that "genius" is reserved for scores over 7mil. Does anyone know what happens when you max out these lamp score machines? Is there a special? Does it reset like rolling over reels?

20200711_125559 (resized).jpg20200711_125559 (resized).jpg
#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from stavio:

After months of only being able to get a "good" rating, yesterday I had an awesome game of almost 7mil. When it was over saw the "super" was lit. I'm guessing that "genius" is reserved for scores over 7mil. Does anyone know what happens when you max out these lamp score machines? Is there a special? Does it reset like rolling over reels?
[quoted image]

Haven't played this particular Gottlieb wood rail, but some similar vintage. When you max out the bulb score it just stays at the max. Does not rollover. I'm pretty sure on your particular game, SUNSHINE, you earn a replay if you get all the red and white numbers on the backglass lit. Thereafter, you get a replay for each rollover hit on the playfield.

#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

When you max out the bulb score it just stays at the max.

Thanks for the info. Maxing it out is on the goal list.

This game is surprisingly challenging and has many special offerings. I've gotten the red or white number special, not at the same time yet, and even the elusive star special once.

The game I posted about was the 1st time I got a replay for scoring, and ended up with 5. What a rush.

Wayne is a genius!!!

#1169 3 years ago

I’ve seen a few early to mid-fifties Gottliebs with plastic replay buttons on the coin door that weren’t red (e.g., green and yellow ones). Does anyone know if Gottlieb occasionally used replay buttons in colors other than red?

#1170 3 years ago

Can anyone shed some light on what games were originally equipped with 1-1/8" pinballs, or exactly when the transition to the modern 1-1/16" pinball took place?
I would think each manufacturer transitioned at different times, but probably around the same time.
I recently came across a 1949 machine which still had 1-1/8" balls in it. I'm pretty sure they are original, and are in surprisingly good condition.

#1171 3 years ago

I'm making space and I have a 1941 Bally Moniker. If anyone is or going to be in the Upstate N.Y. area, your welcome to stop by and pick it up. It's missing the coin door and top backglass trim. Backglass
looks okay, and playfield seems alright but needs new bumper bodies, rings, etc. Needs a good cleaning.
I also have an early 50s Genco gun game. Needs much work, but doable.

#1172 3 years ago

Great woodrail day. Picked up a Screamo and Kings looking a little better after a PBR ordrr came in. New flipper bats, targets, pop bumper caps and the most important of all...the cigarette holder. Smoke em' if ya got em'!

1595723428913473164266 (resized).jpg1595723428913473164266 (resized).jpg1595723458625873817456 (resized).jpg1595723458625873817456 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1173 3 years ago

Hello! Picked up my 1st woodrail tonight. 1948 United Paradise. Any idea where I can locate some schematics? Also my glass is in absolutely perfect shape...but my glass has different colors than every other Paradise I can find pics of and I don't think it is faded. Did they sometimes do different runs with different colors on old woodrail backglasses? Possibly a prototype?

Screenshot_20200804-221003_Facebook (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200804-221003_Facebook (resized).jpg
#1174 3 years ago

Nice pick up!

Try PBR for schematics.

I would guess it is faded. Common for reds to turn yellow.

But it is strange that PARADISE is completely yellow.

Could be different inks were used?

Otherwise it looks pretty similar.
image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

#1175 3 years ago

Inks fade in different ways. Generally due to UV exposure over time.
Red can go orange, or fade out to tan.
Orange can go yellow (as yours has), or fade out to tan.
Blue and blue green can go green.
Purple can go more blue.

Schematics for United games are really hard to find. But yeah, PBR is the place to check.

#1176 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

Inks fade in different ways. Generally due to UV exposure over time.
Red can go orange, or fade out to tan.
Orange can go yellow (as yours has), or fade out to tan.
Blue and blue green can go green.
Purple can go more blue.
Schematics for United games are really hard to find. But yeah, PBR is the place to check.

From what I see, that's not fade...it's too uniform throughout all the letters, plus the other red inks on that glass aren't faded at all. l

#1177 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

From what I see, that's not fade...it's too uniform throughout all the letters, plus the other red inks on that glass aren't faded at all. l

This is what I was thinking. No other red fade...and the yellow is really uniform and solid.

#1178 3 years ago

All of the oranges have faded to yellow, look in the girls' hair as well - no more highlights.

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

All of the oranges have faded to yellow, look in the girls' hair as well - no more highlights.

Yep...I'm seeing it now. The orange ink was trash I guess...lol. At least the glass is intact with no loss of paint.

#1180 3 years ago

Also, I am missing the left side rail and the lock down bar.... Anyone have a spare United parts machine from the same era? Anyone ever have the pieces made by a woodworker?

#1181 3 years ago

Anyone here have interest in a Gottlieb Criss Cross?
I can get better pics. Overall its pretty nice for its age and playfield is too.
I'm 30 minutes south of St. Louis.
I'll donate here if it sells before I make a market ad. I figured I'd throw it out here first.

Screenshot_20200809-085502_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200809-085502_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200809-085510_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200809-085510_Messages (resized).jpg
#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I can get better pics. Overall its pretty nice for its age and playfield is too.
I'll donate here if it sells before I make a market ad. I figured I'd throw it out here first.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Price?

#1184 3 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

The dead giveaway is in the scoring numbers. They would never use two yellows in a row.

#1185 3 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

Why are they always so far away? Looks great!

Been looking for another woodrail and would buy it in a heartbeat if it was closer.

1 week later
#1186 3 years ago

What is this called? Specifically the gate that has a coil attached. When activated it allows the balls to go to the lifter. I have a Golden Bells that I am trying to bring back to life and I can get it to start a game (sort of) but when it does this coil is locking on. I have the schematic, but not sure what name I’m looking for.

4C2FD5B4-3208-4037-BF47-FB573613BE69 (resized).png4C2FD5B4-3208-4037-BF47-FB573613BE69 (resized).png
#1187 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

What is this called?

"ball release"

Usually these stay locked on until points are scored.

#1188 3 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

"ball release"
Usually these stay locked on until points are scored.

Your last sentence could be wrong. Would the Ball Release stay locked on, until the game is re-set?

#1189 3 years ago

The ball release is energized when the game resets, then until the first point is scored. After the first point is scored is it deenergizes.

#1190 3 years ago

Ah, ok. Good info. It didn’t come on at all until recently when cleaning some switches. Now it never releases, so I will try to figure out what stack the release switch is on and double check that.

#1191 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Ah, ok. Good info. It didn’t come on at all until recently when cleaning some switches. Now it never releases, so I will try to figure out what stack the release switch is on and double check that.

If you figure this out let me know. I'm working on a 56' williams and having a similar problem. I thought I was getting it figured out, but now when it scores any points it goes to game over.

#1192 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

so I will try to figure out what stack the release switch is on and double check that.

Not sure if this helps, but last game I worked on with that release....I think the ball release solenoid deenergized when the 10 point relay energized.

#1193 3 years ago

Not sure if it's the same on a Williams, but on Gottliebs there's an NC switch on either the one or ten point relay. As soon as points are scored, the switch momentarily opens, which releases the ball gate.

#1194 3 years ago

I picked up two of these 1951 Chicago Coin 'Play Ball' woodrails. Actually, almost two - one is missing some stuff, including the backbox (which is a light box only and not required for playing), the printed playfield glass, lockdown bar and some other parts. It's not quite a pinball game - no flippers, no bumpers, no targets. It's not a pitch 'n' bat either. Basically it's a bagatelle, more or less a supersized copy of the 1934 Rock-ola World Series. You aim for the 'Hit' lane, and if you get it the game randomly assigns a single, double, triple or home run. The ball then enters the green platter, which rotates accordingly with each following hit. The game mechanically counts balls and strikes - the fourth 'ball' is shunted to the 'Hit' lane, and the third strike is shunted to the 'Out' lane. Three outs ends the game. You can win replays with enough runs scored.

Both playfields cleaned up very nice, as did the cabinets. The backglass in the light box had a lot of cracking in the ink as well as a lot of fading in the orange, so I did a repro of it.

The playfield on the left has a number of details different from the other one, and I'm wondering if it could be a sample game. There are what apparently were translucent plastic strips (they are opaque now) along either side of the necked area that look as if they were intended to diffuse the light. They're not on the other game. Likewise, on that same playfield there are drill holes around that look like they were meant for the installation of bayonet lamps, but there is no wiring for them. Instead, both games are equipped for standard size 7.5W bulbs. And the printed lettering around the green platter is different on the two playfields (see '1st Base').

20200820_103521 (resized).jpg20200820_103521 (resized).jpg20200819_153612 (resized).jpg20200819_153612 (resized).jpg20200727_153554 (resized).jpg20200727_153554 (resized).jpg20200804_143308 (resized).jpg20200804_143308 (resized).jpgpf lamps (resized).jpgpf lamps (resized).jpgpf txt (resized).jpgpf txt (resized).jpg
#1195 3 years ago

On this ChiCoin 'Play Ball', the playfield on the right is missing one of the stepper units and I'm hoping someone has one on or from a ChiCoin parts game from the early 50s that they'd be willing to sell. I think the stepper is common to ChiCoin games of that period, and has coils 9122 and 9126 on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

20200819_154211 (resized).jpg20200819_154211 (resized).jpg20200819_154223 sm (resized).jpg20200819_154223 sm (resized).jpg
#1196 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

On this ChiCoin 'Play Ball', the playfield on the right is missing one of the stepper units and I'm hoping someone has one on or from a ChiCoin parts game from the early 50s that they'd be willing to sell. I think the stepper is common to ChiCoin games of that period, and has coils 9122 and 9126 on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

You might want to check on the EM seeking parts thread as well:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread

#1197 3 years ago

I made some progress, but it seems I have a new issue that I can't quite figure out. When the game is trying to start, the score motor spins, then stops, and the 100k reset coil is locked on. I think it is because the score motor is not stopping where it should. The Index switch stack is in the groove/notch in the schematic, but is halfway between two groves when it actually stops. Looking at the Index stack it makes sense that the 100k coil is locked on. Any guidance here would be great since I'm pretty stumped at this point.

EDIT: Well, looking at the Index switch stack again (zone B23), maybe it is stopping at the right point. But then what else would lock that coil on? Back to hunting in the schematics.

Golden Bells Schematic.pdfGolden Bells Schematic.pdf

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

When the game is trying to start, the score motor spins, then stops, and the 100k reset coil is locked on.

This might work better in its own topic...

Does the Reset relay fire? It looks like the Reset relay should fire when the 100k unit resets to 0. The Reset relay then fires the Start Latch relay which I think should cut power to the 100k reset solenoid.

/Mark

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

This might work better in its own topic...
Does the Reset relay fire? It looks like the Reset relay should fire when the 100k unit resets to 0. The Reset relay then fires the Start Latch relay which I think should cut power to the 100k reset solenoid.
/Mark

The 100k unit zero switch is closed but the reset relay does not activate. If I do that manually everything shuts off. All power, even the GI.

#1200 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

The 100k unit zero switch is closed but the reset relay does not activate.

That's the only switch that can fire the Reset relay. Does the Reset relay fire if you jumper around the switch (from the yellow wire to the white-blue wire)?

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/24?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.