20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.
#1101 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Shorter #55 bulbs were sometimes used in pop bumpers to move the filament away from the bumper cap. It helped keep the cap a bit cooler and may have avoided the common burn spot on the underside of the cap. Cooler #47 bulbs are another option.

Agree with using the 47s and that's what I put in this machine. finding 2 - 455s threw me off. Thanks for the post!

Now anyone with 4 of the pf screws or know where you can purchase them? Would prefer the original to the newer Phillips ones.

#1102 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Now anyone with 4 of the pf screws or know where you can purchase them? Would prefer the original to the newer Phillips ones.

From what I recall those are #7 nickel plated oval head sloted wood screws. Steve Young got hold of a few not long ago but I don't see them on his website any more. I think I've found shorter versions of the right size (#7) before but that's as close as I've found. They would probably look ok but they wouldn't hold the playfield in place. #6 and #8 are more common and might be close enough.

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Shorter #55 bulbs were sometimes used in pop bumpers to move the filament away from the bumper cap. It helped keep the cap a bit cooler and may have avoided the common burn spot on the underside of the cap. Cooler #47 bulbs are another option.

I always use #51 bulbs for the Pop Bumpers. A little dimmer, but shorter and no heat.
The Cowpoke I went through earlier this month had those flat push in bulbs (forgot the name)
under the caps. When rebuilding the bumpers, I changed them to the regular thumper sockets.
Must be Gottlieb used those other sockets from time to time. I think I remember the Melody also
having them..

#1104 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I always use #51 bulbs for the Pop Bumpers.

Yeah, I was thinking of #51 bulbs, not #55 bulbs. It looks like #55s would work, but #51s are what I've seen and used.

#1105 4 years ago

Does anyone actually screw down their playfields? Last thing I want to do every time I work on a machine is to undo all those screws.

Someone posted that they fill the holes with shorter screws held in place with a tiny dab of silicone (which are easy to find) for the appearance, and that seems to me to be the way to go.

#1106 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

Does anyone actually screw down their playfields? Last thing I want to do every time I work on a machine is to undo all those screws.
Someone posted that they fill the holes with shorter screws held in place with a tiny dab of silicone (which are easy to find) for the appearance, and that seems to me to be the way to go.

Yep
Both of my flipperless are screwed down. When I do a resto I want EVERY screw accounted for

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1107 4 years ago

55 bulbs would be a problem too,although shorter They,run even hotter. The shorter, cooler, bulbs were 51 bulbs...

#1108 4 years ago
Quoted from cjmiller:

Does anyone actually screw down their playfields?

I recently screwed down my playfields for the move to new house but normally leave the screws out.

#1109 4 years ago

Was it a unnecessary precaution to screw down playfields
when the MFRs transitioned from woodrail to wedgeheads/metalrails and different lockdown bar mechs?
I know though that Williams still used those twist clamps for several years before eliminating them all together
and GTB had those spring loaded levers underneath to lock the Playfield in place.
Were all those screws and lock mechanisms really required in first place.
Maybe only when transporting a game from location to location.

#1110 4 years ago

The playfield bangs around if it's moved so I used the screws to keep it from doing that during the move.

#1111 4 years ago

My problem is I can never get all four of them lined up. Three of them will screw in and the last one just drops down.

I think they were there to deter the playfields from warping.

Even as late as 1959 Williams was still using them, as my Pinch Hitter uses screws.

#1112 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

I think they were there to deter the playfields from warping

This, and to prevent warped playfields from affecting ball travel. I always screw them down and replace missing screws.

#1113 4 years ago

Here's a friendly reminder for those new to woodrails: Pinball Magazine No. 5 contains a huge interview with former Gottlieb designer Wayne Neyens, who designed the majority of Gottlieb's woodrails from 1947 onwards. He designed over 180 games that went into production, all of them are featured in the magazine and Wayne discusses many of them. www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/

PM05 cover (small) (resized).jpgPM05 cover (small) (resized).jpg
#1114 4 years ago

I’m looking for the shuffle spring (the one attached to the shuffle and playfield that helps the shuffle close after it is opened during start up) for a 1952 Gottlieb Quartette and so need the specs to be able to order or make one.

Does anyone have a Quartette or a Four Stars (I assume that Four Stars has the same shuffle spring set-up as Quartette) and some calipers who can get some measurements of this spring? In particular, if someone can send measures of the following, that’d be great!

1. Diameter of the spring wire
2. Diameter of the spring coil
3. Length of spring (not counting hooks) in relaxed state (that is, when not installed)

The photo below is just of a random spring to show the requested measurements.

Thanks!

B5ADC793-458E-460A-BAF7-F6DFD00195E9 (resized).jpegB5ADC793-458E-460A-BAF7-F6DFD00195E9 (resized).jpeg
#1115 4 years ago

95% of the issues worked out. Now time to start playing and find the remaining 5% that are hiding waiting to be found.

20200331_191104 (resized).jpg20200331_191104 (resized).jpg
#1116 4 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

95% of the issues worked out. Now time to start playing and find the remaining 5% that are hiding waiting to be found.[quoted image]

Wow that's in nice shape.mine is a little rough but plays great.

IMG_2966 (resized).JPGIMG_2966 (resized).JPG
#1117 4 years ago
Quoted from novaguy:

Wow that's in nice shape.mine is a little rough but plays great.[quoted image]

Most of my games are far from beauty queens. Playability outweighs looks every time for me. What kind of shape is the Goldstar in? I've been looking for one for awhile now.

#1118 4 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

Most of my games are far from beauty queens. Playability outweighs looks every time for me. What kind of shape is the Goldstar in? I've been looking for one for awhile now.

The gs playfield is in really nice shape but the bg is pretty rough.cool game to play though.

#1119 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

All original but I did hear you can retro fit which I agree would be better. It’s very cool especially with the animation but hard to flip to the top
Here is some pics. I got it from a pinball league buddy and it appears to be in good shape for the year
https://photos.app.goo.gl/D4fPWue5epQoEs6M6

I've done two retrofits, one on a United game, and one I just completed for a Keeney Poker Face pin... both of those had impulse setups. If you do decide to retrofit, it's important to get a dual wound coil that's just the right power.. Steve Young is a good resource to help pare down which dual wound coil is best for your woodrail... there are also a few good sites that have power ratings in OHMS for coils of different manufacturers... this was very helpful in my determination of which coil to use for the Poker Face.

https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

1 month later
#1120 3 years ago

I have a question for all you woodrail aficionados.

Im working on a fairly nice, all original, Gottlieb Criss Cross with sunken inserts.

The inserts are not loose at all, and their artwork is pretty detailed and not easily replaceable if they were to break during removal. I’m trying to decide between removing them + re-gluing them, or filling/ leveling them with a clear.

If I had a full proof method to get them out without breaking them, I’d go that route without hesitation. But the alternative, while potentially easier and less risky, is also an irreversible modification to an otherwise all original game.

What says you? Should I fire up the hair drier or dust off the pipettes?

FAA873E3-5ED9-4545-89B9-D9ABDED0F7B5 (resized).jpegFAA873E3-5ED9-4545-89B9-D9ABDED0F7B5 (resized).jpegFB06119D-FD44-4735-B6CF-7B9D74582C65 (resized).jpegFB06119D-FD44-4735-B6CF-7B9D74582C65 (resized).jpeg
#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

Should I fire up the hair drier or dust off the pipettes?

Here’s a vote for the hair dryer!

I’ve only got experience with a few machines that had sunken inserts that weren’t coming out easily, but the hair dryer method usually does the trick of loosening them up. Also, using something with a flat round surface (like a socket from a socket wrench set) can work well to spread out the force when you’re trying to push them out from under the playfield. I too considered the clear method, but ultimately decided to go with removing and releveling while risking breaking nice inserts with artwork (and so far have been lucky!).

Good luck!

#1122 3 years ago

I vote for leveling with clearcoat. I just used the brush-on version of Minwax Polycrylic to clearcoat an entire Snow Derby playfield (I know, not a woodrail) to level, among other things, sunken numbered inserts for which I could not find replacements. Right now I’m working on a Jig Saw (which is a woodrail), and the artwork inserts on the playfield puzzle picture are sunken. I’m too concerned about damaging those inserts to try to raise them, even using the blowdryer-and-socket method. After touch-up, I’m planning to level the playfield by clearcoating.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1123 3 years ago

I’m digging the varied input! Solid votes for both so far.

Jigsaw is actually next up in the queue for me after criss cross. It’ll be getting a full clear job to try and fix some misguided restoration work from a previous owner. Thick brown globs of oil based poly to remove from sunken inserts. Bumpy and uneven clear... I’ll be sure to post here when that adventure begins.

But first, the age-old sunken insert dilemma..

#1124 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

#55s are HOT! Use #51s, the smaller globe round lamps. I always use them for the pop bumpers.

#1125 3 years ago

I have had alot of success over the years with the hair dryer method.

#1126 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

I have had alot of success over the years with the hair dryer method.

I've done both. In your case if you do try the hair dry method, if those inserts with graphics aren't coming out easily (and definitely use a round socket just small enough to fit the hole) I'd use the FILL method. No reason taking chances. I've done a lot of insert removal, and have broken a few in my haste to remove them. Take your time, and be sure to heat from both sides. I've also used a heat gun, but not recommending that for first time use.

#1127 3 years ago

Funny, I just did my Jigsaw last month! Here is a before and after.

IMG_5639 (resized).jpegIMG_5639 (resized).jpegIMG_5679 (resized).jpegIMG_5679 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#1128 3 years ago

Nice job on that PF!

Question for the group, has anyone discussed trying to get the PF for Jigsaw reproduced? The made a ton of these, I would think there are lots of owners out there that would like a nicer one.

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Nice job on that PF!
Question for the group, has anyone discussed trying to get the PF for Jigsaw reproduced? The made a ton of these, I would think there are lots of owners out there that would like a nicer one.

I'd be in for one. I'd love to see Gottlieb "Ace High" repro'd as well.
Every one I've come across has considerable wear.

#1130 3 years ago

If Wade were to do a repro of a woodrail it would be more lucrative for him to do a 1952 Queen of Hearts.

#1131 3 years ago
Quoted from aahgo:

Question for the group, has anyone discussed trying to get the PF for Jigsaw reproduced?

I’d definitely buy one. I wonder how many people we’d need in order to get Wade or someone else interested? Seems unlikely, but that would be amazing.

1 week later
#1132 3 years ago

Waking up a Williams 1954 Skyway. It was very rough when I bought it. A week ago I finished the cabinet graphics. Tiny red dots included (if anyone has coin door parts, pls hit me up)

DetailSkyway (resized).jpgDetailSkyway (resized).jpgSkyway2 (resized).jpgSkyway2 (resized).jpgSkywayLijmklemmen (resized).jpgSkywayLijmklemmen (resized).jpg
#1133 3 years ago

That's looking really good. Well done on the repaint.

#1134 3 years ago
Quoted from Hyperball91:

That's looking really good. Well done on the repaint.

Thanks a lot! The orange was difficult to mix but got it right after 3 layers

#1135 3 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

I’d definitely buy one. I wonder how many people we’d need in order to get Wade or someone else interested? Seems unlikely, but that would be amazing.

I sent an e-mail to Wade to see what the process was to find out, but I haven't heard anything back. I don't know if there are licensing issues or other potential roadblocks. I don't want to get a list of hopeful people just to find out it can't be reasonably done.

#1136 3 years ago

Hey Gang,

Still hunting the upper molding for a single player Gottlieb back box or an early 50's back box with the slide up door. Paint not important, it's getting a complete repaint anyway.
Also needs to ship to Michigan.

Thanks in advance,
Walt

Knock Out (resized).jpgKnock Out (resized).jpg
#1137 3 years ago

Having trouble getting my Skill Pool up and running, hoping somebody more experienced can point me in the right direction. The game get's stuck in the startup sequence when the coil on the 10,000 stepper locks on. If I advance the 100,000 stepper once, the game completes the sequence and plays. During gameplay as the 100,000 stepper advances it caused the 10,000 coil to lock on every other step. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

Having trouble getting my Skill Pool up and running, hoping somebody more experienced can point me in the right direction. The game get's stuck in the startup sequence when the coil on the 10,000 stepper locks on. If I advance the 100,000 stepper once, the game completes the sequence and plays. During gameplay as the 100,000 stepper advances it caused the 10,000 coil to lock on every other step. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Try gapping the contacts on the back of the 10,000 stepper unit a little more. When you drop down the stepper unit it should be the single set of contacts on the left. I don't have that particular game but have had similar issue on others and that seems to solve the problem.

#1139 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkeye11:

With the help of another colllector I was able to solve this issue. The pins on the 100,000 point stepper were wired wrong. Not sure how somebody managed that one and who knows how long ago they did it. lol Machine is back in working operation. Now just need to finish shopping it out.

1 week later
#1140 3 years ago

The current woodrail collection. I sold off some last Fall, so I have a couple of open spots.
One space will be for the Genco Trade Winds that's now in the shop, but it has been badly hacked and it'll be a while before it can join the herd.

7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg12 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg16 (resized).jpg20200323_133043-1 (resized).jpg20200323_133043-1 (resized).jpg
#1141 3 years ago

A Fun Fair to go with your Screamo? Now I'm doubly jealous.

Those backlit backglasses look great!

#1142 3 years ago

Wow, that's an excellent collection of woodrails Tom. 2 thumbs up

#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

A Fun Fair to go with your Screamo? Now I'm doubly jealous.

Fun-Fair looks nice, but it's a totally rusted out wreck inside. Hoping to find another one sometime that I can use to put together a working one.

#1144 3 years ago

I have a nice Dancing Dolls looks to sell. Any advice on what it's worth? Thanks.

#1145 3 years ago

I hope to find a Rocket some day.

#1146 3 years ago

Wow. That's a fabulous lineup, Tom. Is your Williams "Trade Winds" a repaint? I've never seen the non-wedgehead version with original paint, but I've always suspected that the cabinet base color is light blue, not white. Does it also have a deep blue playfield, unlike the lighter blue one normally seen?

#1147 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Is your Williams "Trade Winds" a repaint?

It is a repaint, but to the original cabinet color scheme. I bought it so long ago that it was a long time before I discovered that there was a rare version and this was it. I believe the white cabinet is original for the greater majority of the ones produced, the reverse wedgeheads. Yes, the playfield is a a deeper shade of blue. Playfield has been touched up, was very planked.

20171105_200053 (resized).jpg20171105_200053 (resized).jpg
#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I hope to find a Rocket some day.

I could use a Detroit Locker and some solid one piece axles for my Jeep.

DSCN6998 (resized).JPGDSCN6998 (resized).JPG

#1149 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

The current woodrail collection.

I am looking for a Genco Trade Winds if anyone has one. The one I have is badly hacked.

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

The current woodrail collection.

Very nice lighted backglass collection! How did you light them? Any pics of "behind the scenes?"

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/23?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.