20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 36.
#1001 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Not many woodrail lovers out there but I'm one of them.

I like 'em. They are definitely the nicest era aesthetically in my opinion. And from my limited experience the gameplay has been satisfying. If the right "1" came along I'd be back in the game. The idea of having to deal with 125 projects though? There was a time I would have fantasized about that, now it just gives me anxiety.

#1002 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I primarily have 60s and 70s set up, but do have a few woodrails stored.
Although for now, I'm out of room, I'm thinking about going through then having
one set up. I have never played any of these titles, but my considerations are Williams
Sea Wolf, Gusher, Nags, 1956 Fun House, Gottleb Rocket Ship, Bally Balls-a-Poppin.
I have a few others, but pretty sure these are my best choices. Any suggestions?

I vote Nags and Balls-a-Poppin. Nags has the rotating pops and animated backbox and Balls-a-Poppin has up to 8 balls on the playfield at once. Those features are fun and would definitely be a hit with guests.

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

but my considerations are Williams
Sea Wolf, Gusher, Nags, 1956 Fun House, Gottleb Rocket Ship, Bally Balls-a-Poppin.
I have a few others, but pretty sure these are my best choices. Any suggestions?

I have played all of those except Fun House. For me the novelty of the disappearing pop bumper on Sea Wolf and Gusher and turntable on Nags is not enough to compete with the great players Williams Rocket and Arrow Head. Those are the two I kept along with GTB Frontiersman and for a multiplayer WMS Serenade.

Those are my keepers that never get old to play and get played a lot. And I've had a bunch.

If I had a Balls A Poppin, I'd probably keep that one too.

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I’m newly addicted to the older games, but you’re right. It’s a lonely small circle in comparison to the remainder of the community.

You're telling me! I collect 1930s pins!

Actually it'd be fairest to say that 1940s is the loneliest decade for pin collectors. More (relative) enthusiasm for the 1936 machines than the 1946 ones.

#1005 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Please scan those score cards and send me a copy of the files.

Sorry completely forgot. Can you pm me with a reminder? Or I will surely forget again.

#1006 4 years ago

If you only have room for one woodrail,
i would choose Balls A Poppin

#1007 4 years ago

Sadly very few woodrails have survived in Germany. Back in the day they mainly shipped fairly boring multiplayer games like Contest, so I’ve never had the chance to play one of the interesting looking single players.

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

You're telling me! I collect 1930s pins!
Actually it'd be fairest to say that 1940s is the loneliest decade for pin collectors. More (relative) enthusiasm for the 1936 machines than the 1946 ones.

I have 2 from 1947. Being 36 I feel like most of my friends think I’m strange for having my level of passion for those games. Kids these days....

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Sadly very few woodrails have survived in Germany. Back in the day they mainly shipped fairly boring multiplayer games like Contest, so I’ve never had the chance to play one of the interesting looking single players.

Did they get destroyed or just general attrition?
How is Germany in regards to other old machines? I love Wulff stuff. and one day want to get a Flik Flak. (70s, I know)

#1010 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

If you only have room for one woodrail,

In October of ‘56 it cost $70

722747EA-35DF-4C75-A5C8-D48794DB92A0 (resized).jpeg722747EA-35DF-4C75-A5C8-D48794DB92A0 (resized).jpeg
#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

And in 1958/59, machines sure went up quickly!

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

I vote Nags and Balls-a-Poppin.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Yup, those were the two I mostly had in mind.
I really don't have room for anymore, but one day I'll
have another 1,200 sq. ft. to work with, and also still
have some old EM arcades machines that I had never
played before. Hoping they'll be set up one of these days..

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nags is not enough to compete with the great players Williams Rocket and Arrow Head.

Looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for a "Rocket" and "Arrow Head"..
Actually, the only replay machine I have set up is Star Jet (because of
its uniqueness). After playing AABs for so long, I find myself not being
able to get into Replay machines so much..
If Gottlieb convinced the State Officials back in the 50s that getting a
free ball was not a form of gambling, I'm sure I'd have a couple strings
of woodrails along a couple of the walls..

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

After playing AABs for so long, I find myself not being
able to get into Replay machines so much..

Yay add-a-balls!

#1015 4 years ago

that is when Balls a Poppin was released
likely that pinball for sale list is from late 1959

#1016 4 years ago

Yup, hot new game? Full price.
Sitting in the warehouse for a few years? Discounts abound. if only modern pinball learned from that.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-will-be-the-next-stern-pinball-machine/page/122#post-5348417

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

And in 1958/59, machines sure went up quickly!

Not sure, but that might be a list of used games for sale at the time, some in better condition than others.

Quoted from Mopar:

If Gottlieb convinced the State Officials back in the 50s that getting a
free ball was not a form of gambling, I'm sure I'd have a couple strings
of woodrails along a couple of the walls..

Well, no bulb scoring and not the 50s, but this might be the game for you. I had one, albeit not a woodrail, and although it played kinda slow, it was fun and had great implementation of the add a ball.
Backglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpg

#1018 4 years ago

Nice call on Flipper, O-din. Great rule set, classic looker, and a cool slice of pinball history to boot!

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

this might be the game for you.

As such? Notice that it's missing one of the red plastics along the side.
I'm sure I can match the color to a white one, but if anyone may know
if other woodrails have red, I'd like to know. The rest of the game is
complete. I have a couple of the metal rail Flippers also, one nice, one
in need of a playfield if there happens to be a playfield around..

IMG_0543 (resized).JPGIMG_0543 (resized).JPGIMG_0545 (resized).JPGIMG_0545 (resized).JPGIMG_0547 (resized).JPGIMG_0547 (resized).JPG
#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I have a couple of the metal rail Flippers also, one nice, one
in need of a playfield if there happens to be a playfield around..

You hoarder you!

Mine stuck around for quite a while. I had to thin the herd and somebody else wanted it, so I let it go. There have been many like that. But I can't see Rocket or Arrow Head leaving. Just something about that fast play that suits me. Not for everybody perhaps. All my garage games but two are 50 volt WMS now.

#1021 4 years ago

im confused about that gottlieb flipper i always thought it was a wedgehead? i tried looking it up on ipdb but entering "flipper" returned too many matches. i too was thinking did they miss the other cabinet like the one i have on my "Lancers" but perhaps that was their 2 player cabinet for 1960

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from singlezero:

m confused about that gottlieb flipper i always thought it was a wedgehead?

A few were done as woodrails during that transition period in early 60s

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

A few were done as woodrails during that transition period in early 60s

Yes, the best I understand it is that the first <50 Flippers produced were woodrails, but this I'm not sure of.
I've only seen a pic of one other. Ralpheal's (I believe is the name) from Paris. Looks mint. Cabinet redone
with the same scheme as the one that I have. I'm leaning that it's an original woodrail Flipper but the Gottlieb
Logo on the playfield is all white as are the metal rails. My sample is white and orange the same as other Gottlieb
woodrails titles prior..
While purchasing a bg from Shay, and knowing that he has a woodrail Flipper, I asked if the glass is exactly
the same as the woodrail's, and he said that it's exact, and come to find out, it's not the same as my original.
It's lacking the phrase "As American As Baseball And Hot Dogs". I'm thinking that all woodrail Flippers are not
samples, but I'm still a little up in the air. There's at least 11 samples which mine is (#11) but not sure high up that went.
If anyone has or knows anyone with a woodrail Flipper, I wouldn't mind connecting..

#1024 4 years ago

Looks like there are still a few of us out there.
With about 30 Woodrails in my collection, I guess you can count me in too.
A couple of my favorites are Kewpie Doll and Sittin Pretty, but so many are fantastic.
I know Kewpie has a small playing area, but rolling the ball off the tip of the flipper and up the
side rollovers is awesome.
Balls A Poppin, one of the few I've sold. The game just feels wierd with the placement of the lock bar vs. the
flipper buttons and although it has a multi ball, it felt like slow motion to me. Looking back, probably should have kept it.
Now Flipper, don't have a woodrail version, but do have the Wedgehead along with the entire Flipper series
but if anyone wants to sell me the Woodrail, I'm always looking.

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Wow...check out this action. Kinda mysterious with the poor lighting and all, would be fun crawling around in that warehouse for a while.
ebay.com link » 125 Wood Rail Pinball Machines

How long do we have to wait to find out who the lucky bidder is?

#1026 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Did they get destroyed or just general attrition?
How is Germany in regards to other old machines? I love Wulff stuff. and one day want to get a Flik Flak. (70s, I know

General attrition, plus as soon as multiplayer games became available operators only operated those, which means one-player EMs are rare here.

There is, however, Still a ton of old German EM gambling games. Mostly they are very cheap. For example, these photos were taken in the basement of a bar I visited a couple of weeks ago.

47D9F160-4F7D-4948-9FF1-0C5BE383BC1D (resized).jpeg47D9F160-4F7D-4948-9FF1-0C5BE383BC1D (resized).jpegCDA46FD8-1A21-46FA-8B3C-208A5FF5D7F8 (resized).jpegCDA46FD8-1A21-46FA-8B3C-208A5FF5D7F8 (resized).jpeg
#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

General attrition, plus as soon as multiplayer games became available operators only operated those, which means one-player EMs are rare here.
There is, however, Still a ton of old German EM gambling games. Mostly they are very cheap. For example, these photos were taken in the basement of a bar I visited a couple of weeks ago.[quoted image][quoted image]

I see a Wulff Totomat and a Duomat!!!!
Oh man I love those old German wall games.

Are they just languishing?? I would love to have those machines here in Canada.

#1028 4 years ago

Captain Kirk wants a piece of the action.

54nAH-1500326422-9034-list_items-pinball_-_star_trek_tos (resized).png54nAH-1500326422-9034-list_items-pinball_-_star_trek_tos (resized).png
#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Are they just languishing?? I would love to have those machines here in Canada.

They are languishing LOL. The bar owner has one really nice example in the bar along with a GOT.

Those games are very common and cheap. That’s because in Germany a slot machine may only be operated for 4 years and there is no limitation on selling for private use. The first one I owned was a gift.

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Those games are very common and cheap. That’s because in Germany a slot machine may only be operated for 4 years and there is no limitation on selling for private use. The first one I owned was a gift.

Oooof, so similar to the pachinko glut in Japan then. Dare I ask if you'd want to fill up a crate with them and send them our way? There must be some kind of way to jump on someone else's shipment and get a few of them to North America....
I really want a Totomat since it's based off of earlier Finnish Pajatsos. Well, either than or a British Cascade by Bell Fruit. Problem is finding anyone in Europe willing to ship!

Also like these style of machine: https://www.pauls50s.de/geldspielerautomat-football-a0318.html

#1031 4 years ago

Here’s a pretty one:
denver.craigslist.org link

#1032 4 years ago

I have owned lots of wood rails over the years. For playability, you have to take yourself back in time, and imagine how exciting they were in that era, not how they actually play today. The later games tend to play faster than the early 50s games IMHO. Although most people gravitate to Gottlieb, I prefer the art and play on the the mid to late 50s Williams. Have a 55 Wonderland, it’s both gorgeous to look at and challenging to play.

There was a great showing of wood rail and other vintage at the Ottawa Pinball Show, thanks to Kaitlin for pulling it together!

5103F76C-7742-4D2E-B948-458437F55FF6 (resized).jpeg5103F76C-7742-4D2E-B948-458437F55FF6 (resized).jpeg60786D79-F7D7-48D4-9A8F-08E33EE4AC75 (resized).jpeg60786D79-F7D7-48D4-9A8F-08E33EE4AC75 (resized).jpeg
#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from MysticPinball:

I have owned lots of wood rails over the years. For playability, you have to take yourself back in time, and imagine how exciting they were in that era, not how they actually play today. The later games tend to play faster than the early 50s games IMHO. Although most people gravitate to Gottlieb, I prefer the art and play on the the mid to late 50s Williams. Have a 55 Wonderland, it’s both gorgeous to look at and challenging to play.
There was a great showing of wood rail and other vintage at the Ottawa Pinball Show, thanks to Kaitlin for pulling it together![quoted image][quoted image]

You're welcome! that photo makes happy. What a weekend it was! Let's do it all again in 2020.

#1034 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Here’s a pretty one:
denver.craigslist.org link

That's nice. Gotta love those "side paddles"!

#1035 4 years ago

I think it is time for me to add a Wood Rail to my collection.

#1036 4 years ago

I posted about this Genco Three Feathers game in the Genco club pages, but am re-posting this request for help here.

As you can see from this pic, the backglass on mine is pretty poor with a lot of flaking.

I'll be doing a repro of it, but the issue is that I'm missing all the detail in the red feather (behind the blonde). If anyone has a nicer backglass & could get me a few high res pics of that area, it would be a big help and greatly appreciated.

three feathers (resized).jpgthree feathers (resized).jpg
#1037 4 years ago

I may have a pic in my files. Only found this one currently. Not much detail...Will keep searching..

3feathers_decrypted (resized).jpg3feathers_decrypted (resized).jpg
#1038 4 years ago
Quoted from pintoys:

I may have a pic in my files. Only found this one currently. Not much detail...Will keep searching..[quoted image]

Thanks, much appreciated.

#1040 4 years ago

Yes, thanks, I've seen those. Good as guides but not enough resolution to get the details right.

3 weeks later
#1041 4 years ago

To follow up, I got a decent scan of the Genco Three Feathers to work from, so here's the completed art. The grey shows the areas where the glass will be silvered.

Now I'm looking for some help in restoring the art for a '51 Williams Shoot The Moon. This glass has been chipped and shattered by kids who used it for target practice with a bb gun as well as throwing at it with the steel balls. I need a couple of good hi-res pics of the girls on the left and the lower right corner. The pics available on line at IPDB and other sites don't have the needed resolution. Anybody with this game that can help out? It'll be much appreciated.

Three Feathers new rgb (resized).jpgThree Feathers new rgb (resized).jpg20191217_144238 (resized).jpg20191217_144238 (resized).jpg
#1042 4 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

To follow up, I got a decent scan of the Genco Three Feathers to work from, so here's the completed art. The grey shows the areas where the glass will be silvered.
Now I'm looking for some help in restoring the art for a '51 Williams Shoot The Moon. This glass has been chipped and shattered by kids who used it for target practice with a bb gun as well as throwing at it with the steel balls. I need a couple of good hi-res pics of the girls on the left and the lower right corner. The pics available on line at IPDB and other sites don't have the needed resolution. Anybody with this game that can help out? It'll be much appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice work on the Three Feathers bg!

#1043 4 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

Now I'm looking for some help in restoring the art for a '51 Williams Shoot The Moon. This glass has been chipped and shattered by kids who used it for target practice with a bb gun as well as throwing at it with the steel balls. I need a couple of good hi-res pics of the girls on the left and the lower right corner. The pics available on line at IPDB and other sites don't have the needed resolution. Anybody with this game that can help out? It'll be much appreciated.[quoted image][quoted image]

I guess those kids took the name of the game literally. Their aim leaves a bit to be desired though.

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I guess those kids took the name of the game literally. Their aim leaves a bit to be desired though.

They did their worst in any event. Hopefully someone has this game & will snap some pics of the missing areas for me. The glass is so nice, it deserves to be restored.

#1045 4 years ago

I worked on a Shoot the Moon about 20 yrs ago for a client when I lived in Bakersfield, California. I can not remember if I took any photos. I will try to look thru some old hard drive files but chances are the camera I had at that time was probably fairly low res. Or it might have even been old school and on film not digital. Do not hold your breath. I remember the game having impulse flippers but fairly fun none the less. The game also had all the cabinet graphics stripped to bare wood.

#1046 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I worked on a Shoot the Moon about 20 yrs ago for a client when I lived in Bakersfield, California. I can not remember if I took any photos. I will try to look thru some old hard drive files but chances are the camera I had at that time was probably fairly low res. Or it might have even been old school and on film not digital. Do not hold your breath. I remember the game having impulse flippers but fairly fun none the less. The game also had all the cabinet graphics stripped to bare wood.

Any help greatly appreciated. Doing this one for a friend. His game is very nice & original other than the glass.

#1047 4 years ago

I think Steve Young at Pinball Resource owns that game, though do not know if he will go out of his way to take hi-res photos?

#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I think Steve Young at Pinball Resource owns that game, though do not know if he will go out of his way to take hi-res photos?

I don't think they made a hi-res Polaroid camera!

#1049 4 years ago

I took a picture of the Shoot the moon BG years ago,but not high res,and I dont have this game to re-do.... Here it is anyway as a start...

ShoottheMoonBG_decrypted (resized).jpgShoottheMoonBG_decrypted (resized).jpg
#1050 4 years ago
Quoted from pintoys:

I took a picture of the Shoot the moon BG years ago,but not high res,and I dont have this game to re-do.... Here it is anyway as a start...[quoted image]

PM sent - thanks.

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/21?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.