20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg
There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 36.
#951 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

photos of another Globe Trotter

I can post a photo tomorrow afternoon, if you can wait.

#952 4 years ago

I never get tired of seeing these old woodrail pinball machines.

Quoted from tomcons:

1956 Williams Tim-Buc-Tu restoration.

Do the legs on this game easily break? They don't look as sturdy as regular woodrail legs.

#953 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

I never get tired of seeing these old woodrail pinball machines.

Do the legs on this game easily break? They don't look as sturdy as regular woodrail legs.

They are glued in layers, so if the glue doesn't hold, pieces will fall away.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from Hyperball91:

Well, I guess I can save you the trouble DCRand...what do you think of this? Look close enough? I think I got her hair and nose right...and the missing piece of course.
This is just a preview png, my original tif is much larger if you like it and decide to

Wow, thanks. Will send pm.

#955 4 years ago

My Globe Trotter has silver coloured components. Is it possible that your game has had the metal parts phosphate coated? Is there evidence of the steppers being removed and taken apart? Your Knocker has been treated the same way as the steppers, and the top plate of the motor.

20191102_143249 (resized).jpg20191102_143249 (resized).jpg20191102_142805 (resized).jpg20191102_142805 (resized).jpg

Quoted from tfduda:

Anyone know the story about the black metal used in Gottlieb’s 1951 Globe Trotter? It doesn’t appear to be painted as I don’t see the black removed in scratched areas. I assume it’s some kind of black alloy...?
Mine has the support bracket for the upper large stepper and parts of the 10k stepper, 100k stepper, score motor and bell and knocker brackets in black (see photos below). Also see similar (though not identical) use in photos of another Globe Trotter on ipdb in links below. I suspect that Gottlieb used what was available at the time and that the normally used metal wasn’t available, but this is a guess. Also I’m not sure if other early 50s Gottliebs used this metal as I didn’t search ipdb too thoroughly, but I don’t recall seeing it used in other models from same era.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1017&picno=42913
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1017&picno=42908[quoted image][quoted image]

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Anyone know the story about the black metal used in Gottlieb’s 1951 Globe Trotter? It doesn’t appear to be painted as I don’t see the black removed in scratched areas. I assume it’s some kind of black alloy...?
Mine has the support bracket for the upper large stepper and parts of the 10k stepper, 100k stepper, score motor and bell and knocker brackets in black (see photos below). Also see similar (though not identical) use in photos of another Globe Trotter on ipdb in links below. I suspect that Gottlieb used what was available at the time and that the normally used metal wasn’t available, but this is a guess. Also I’m not sure if other early 50s Gottliebs used this metal as I didn’t search ipdb too thoroughly, but I don’t recall seeing it used in other models from same era.
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1017&picno=42913
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1017&picno=42908[quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe it’s plated?

#957 4 years ago

Thanks for the photos Darcy! And so this shows that some Globe Trotter machines have some of the black metal alloy (one on ipdb and one I have and probably others too), while others do not.

Quoted from Murphdom:

Maybe it’s plated?

Given that I don’t see bare metal under worn or scratched metal, I don’t think so, but I guess the plating could be thick enough so that only deep scratches reveal the underlying material. Even if it is plated, I guess I am still curious about why it was used.

#958 4 years ago

My GC components are black. I have a 1951 Gottlieb Happy Go Lucky with some black coated parts as well. I learned the hard way though that it comes off in Evaporust.
20180722_130950 (resized).jpg20180722_130950 (resized).jpg20180722_130957 (resized).jpg20180722_130957 (resized).jpg

#959 4 years ago

Probably black ox coating. '60s Bally pins had black metal components, such as stepper frames. Bingos had them too.

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from gottguy:

My GC components are black. I have a 1951 Gottlieb Happy Go Lucky with some black coated parts as well. I learned the hard way though that it comes off in Evaporust.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Probably black ox coating. '60s Bally pins had black metal components, such as stepper frames. Bingos had them too.

Thanks for the info.

#961 4 years ago

1950 Gottlieb Double Feature

Enclosing some pix and a video of a new favorite 5 ball game. I’m partial to the early ‘50s woodrails, especially the Neyens/Parker games.

The game that just recently arrived was a title that I was hunting for awhile. A rare one, indeed, I had not seen one in person, but from what I knew of the features and provided photos, I was not disappointed in the long distance transaction.

This game was Gottlieb’s introduction of the “kicking rubber” feature. When the ball hits the rubber, a paddle behind the rubber kicks the ball away. As noted in the video, as well as some of my others, I like the tilt on my woodrails to be very liberal so I can take advantage of the nudging necessary to help the game play.

Game is lively and the wonderful part of these old woodrails is the multiple ways to win with scoring, and on field specials.

Double Feature04805 (resized).jpgDouble Feature04805 (resized).jpgDouble Feature04794 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04794 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04790 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04790 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04791 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04791 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04795 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04795 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04792 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04792 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04793 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04793 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04786 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04786 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04798 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04798 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04799 (resized).jpegDouble Feature04799 (resized).jpeg
#962 4 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

1950 Gottlieb Double Feature
Enclosing some pix and a video of a new favorite 5 ball game. I’m partial to the early ‘50s woodrails, especially the Neyens/Parker games.

The game that just recently arrived was a title that I was hunting for awhile. A rare one, indeed, I had not seen one in person, but from what I knew of the features and provided photos, I was not disappointed in the long distance transaction.
This game was Gottlieb’s introduction of the “kicking rubber” feature. When the ball hits the rubber, a paddle behind the rubber kicks the ball away. As noted in the video, as well as some of my others, I like the tilt on my woodrails to be very liberal so I can take advantage of the nudging necessary to help the game play.
Game is lively and the wonderful part of these old woodrails is the multiple ways to win with scoring, and on field specials.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great score. It seems like it would be a good player. So many of the woodrails have such great artwork.

#963 4 years ago

Twenty Grand update, almost finished. Waiting for 1 part from PBR to get 100k bell working. Other than that pf touch ups done. Steppers all degunked, electrical problems all fixed, legs refinished, pf metal cleaned and polished. Game also has original coin box, schematics, back box cover, score cards. Looking still for Pf apron cover paper.

8D0C1937-0F87-4A36-AB93-813D69490642 (resized).jpeg8D0C1937-0F87-4A36-AB93-813D69490642 (resized).jpegCD443AF6-6900-43E3-8C42-EADB7FF3B657 (resized).jpegCD443AF6-6900-43E3-8C42-EADB7FF3B657 (resized).jpegEADEB388-C789-4717-969E-436F0DD17B46 (resized).jpegEADEB388-C789-4717-969E-436F0DD17B46 (resized).jpegF2AE3015-20E5-4C94-8FB0-2B792A9CE00D (resized).jpegF2AE3015-20E5-4C94-8FB0-2B792A9CE00D (resized).jpeg1270062E-22D0-4A5C-8E4D-0CD91B5FEC6B (resized).jpeg1270062E-22D0-4A5C-8E4D-0CD91B5FEC6B (resized).jpeg
#964 4 years ago

Wow, that cleaned up real nice. Good job.

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Wow, that cleaned up real nice. Good job.

Came out better than expected. But don’t zoom too close on the guys suit in the lower pf. Balls had worn ruts deep into the wood on both sides from the auto flipper holes about 6” into the pf. Wood fill and painting were a bear. Now both sides covered w Mylar, after waxing so can be removed later. And right side of cabinet trashed and faded. Must have sat near a window for years.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Twenty Grand update, almost finished. Waiting for 1 part from PBR to get 100k bell working. Other than that pf touch ups done. Steppers all degunked, electrical problems all fixed, legs refinished, pf metal cleaned and polished. Game also has original coin box, schematics, back box cover, score cards. Looking still for Pf apron cover paper.

Please scan those score cards and send me a copy of the files.

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Twenty Grand update, almost finished. Waiting for 1 part from PBR to get 100k bell working. Other than that pf touch ups done. Steppers all degunked, electrical problems all fixed, legs refinished, pf metal cleaned and polished. Game also has original coin box, schematics, back box cover, score cards. Looking still for Pf apron cover paper.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not sure how enthused you are, but up until at least a few months ago, this was still available.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-twenty-grand-backglass

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure how enthused you are, but up until at least a few months ago, this was still available.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-twenty-grand-backglass

Listing pulled, and probably don’t want to spend that much. Can’t keep the game, so going to be selling it.

1 week later
#969 4 years ago

For those interested, I currently have 5 NIB repro Gottlieb backglasses left that I purchased from Shay, but didn't end up using, that I'm offering at discounted prices (including free insured shipping to 48 states) on the Pinside market.

First come, first served!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87556
1952 Gottlieb Queen of Hearts repro bg FRONT (resized).JPG1952 Gottlieb Queen of Hearts repro bg FRONT (resized).JPG
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87557
1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam repro bg FRONT (resized).jpg1953 Gottlieb Grand Slam repro bg FRONT (resized).jpg
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87558
1955 Gtb Frontiersman Repro BG Front (resized).JPG1955 Gtb Frontiersman Repro BG Front (resized).JPG
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87559
1956 Gtb Harbor Lites Repro BG Front (resized).JPG1956 Gtb Harbor Lites Repro BG Front (resized).JPG
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87561
1956 Gtb Rainbow Repro BG Front (resized).JPG1956 Gtb Rainbow Repro BG Front (resized).JPG

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Twenty Grand update, almost finished.

Nice work making this game presentable again. Another one saved from the dust bins of time!

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from Gotemwill:

Nice work making this game presentable again. Another one saved from the dust bins of time!

Thanks. Now just need to find a buyer. Listed on Pinside and FB.

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

For those interested, I currently have 5 NIB repro Gottlieb backglasses left that I purchased from Shay, but didn't end up using, that I'm offering at discounted prices (including free insured shipping to 48 states) on the Pinside market.
First come, first served!
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87556
[quoted image]
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87557
[quoted image]
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87558
[quoted image]
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87559
[quoted image]
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87561
[quoted image]

Boy, those are gorgeous. Wish I had any of those games to put 'em in. Ha-ha!

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Boy, those are gorgeous. Wish I had any of those games to put 'em in. Ha-ha!

Yep - Roy Parker was a true master!

2 weeks later
#974 4 years ago

Wow...check out this action. Kinda mysterious with the poor lighting and all, would be fun crawling around in that warehouse for a while.

ebay.com link: 125 WOOD RAIL PINBALL MACHINES

#975 4 years ago

Wow, that is something. Listing is by Rob Berk who runs Expo.

#976 4 years ago

Not bad for $60 a machine, but man what a strange way to try and move them. 125 Woodrail machines for 7,500 (plus $1,200 shipping if needed).

woodrail1 (resized).jpgwoodrail1 (resized).jpgwoodrail3 (resized).jpgwoodrail3 (resized).jpgwoodrial2 (resized).jpgwoodrial2 (resized).jpg
#977 4 years ago

Really like wood rails and wish I had room for more. One of the most
interesting of the group is Wms TORCHY. Its a pre-flipper pin. What is
unique about this one are two big electro magnets (al la Adams Family)
under the play field. They are normally on but there is a button in
the middle that turns off the current when the ball goes over
it. That causes the ball to fly off in odd directions. Its the one on the
left in the pic.
Steve

DSC00159 (resized).JPGDSC00159 (resized).JPGDSC00157 (resized).JPGDSC00157 (resized).JPG
#978 4 years ago

Goes to show that they are still out there! Hopefully a few will end up back out in circulation.

I see a Straight Shooter! I would love to find one of those.

#979 4 years ago

Oh, it's the infamous Jack Koch hoard.

I nearly bought one or two around 4 years ago but price way too high relative to condition.

So, he finally did sell them!

Would be fun to go through that lot

#980 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Oh, it's the infamous Jack Koch hoard.

I don't know for sure but doubt it. Rob Berk has a pretty huge collection that he has been slowly liquidating over the last couple years. I'm guessing this is just more of his personal stash.

#981 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I don't know for sure but doubt it. Rob Berk has a pretty huge collection that he has been slowly liquidating over the last couple years. I'm guessing this is just more of his personal stash.

Well, it does say this in the listing......

Did he buy them or just helping sell I wonder?

LOT OF 125 + WOODRAIL PINBALL MACHINE THIS IS THE COLLECTION OF JACK KOCH OF CINCINNATI,I NEED THE ROOM , I DO NOT HAVE A LIST OF GAMES, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET ,I HAVE A FEW LEGS, SOME DO NOT HAVE HEADS ,GLASS MISSING,BACK DOORS GONE, SOME DO NOT HAVE LOCKDOWN BARS ,WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT I HAVE GAMES RANGE FROM 1948 TO 1960 GOTTLIEB AND WILLIAMS , SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER,LOCAL PICKUP IS WELCOME QUESTIONS CALL ROB AT

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, it does say this in the listing......
Did he buy them or just helping sell I wonder?
LOT OF 125 + WOODRAIL PINBALL MACHINE THIS IS THE COLLECTION OF JACK KOCH OF CINCINNATI,I NEED THE ROOM , I DO NOT HAVE A LIST OF GAMES, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET ,I HAVE A FEW LEGS, SOME DO NOT HAVE HEADS ,GLASS MISSING,BACK DOORS GONE, SOME DO NOT HAVE LOCKDOWN BARS ,WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT I HAVE GAMES RANGE FROM 1948 TO 1960 GOTTLIEB AND WILLIAMS , SHIPPING WILL BE DETERMINED BETWEEN BUYER AND SELLER,LOCAL PICKUP IS WELCOME QUESTIONS CALL ROB AT

AH gotcha. I guess I should have read the description. At least that long awaited chapter will finally be closing. Hopefully...

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

AH gotcha. I guess I should have read the description. At least that long awaited chapter will finally be closing. Hopefully...

Maybe

Great deal at current price but the hours you would need to put in are off the charts!

Would love whoever buys them to do a full inventory.

#984 4 years ago

How many people have the capacity or interest to store that many woodrail projects? He should have sold them years ago when the market was hotter, piece by piece.

#985 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

How many people have the capacity or interest to store that many woodrail projects? He should have sold them years ago when the market was hotter, piece by piece.

Agree but he messed people around too much.

#986 4 years ago

I bought a few woodrails off of Jack a number of years ago.

The only woodrail (out of 13 in my collection at one point) I have left is a '57 Ace High. It's complete, but a total project. Hopefully, I'll get to it someday!

#987 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

have left is a '57 Ace High. It's complete, but a total project. Hopefully, I'll get to it someday

I have an "Ace High" project as well.
It actually works, the cabinet is decent, and I have a new backglass. The playfield has a good amount of wear. I'd love for this one to be remade. Maybe if we get enough interest, we can have it repro'd.

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I have an "Ace High" project as well.
It actually works, the cabinet is decent, and I have a new backglass. The playfield has a good amount of wear. I'd love for this one to be remade. Maybe if we get enough interest, we can have it repro'd.

I love Wade's repros, but I've always wanted (and subsequently had it in mind) to restore the playfield on my Ace High by hand.

Piece of cake!

DSC03313 (resized).JPGDSC03313 (resized).JPG

#989 4 years ago

I can imagine any player back in the day would choose to play Ace High if you were wanting to win credits.

And with a jackpot of 8 specials, no wonder this game has been played to death!

Easy to win but equally operators must have made a ton out of this game.

My p/f is pretty decent for this title, which is why I bought it.

IMG_6098 (resized).jpgIMG_6098 (resized).jpg
#990 4 years ago

It's usually the white areas in front of the targets, and the area in front of the flippers that are worn on this playfield. On mine, the hot red head on the left has no face either!

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

the hot red head on the left has no face either!

I remember saying the same thing on those hang over Sunday mornings..

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Not bad for $60 a machine, but man what a strange way to try and move them. 125 Woodrail machines for 7,500 (plus $1,200 shipping if needed).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Jack bought a nice Globe Trotter from me back in 2012... very nice example. Not sure if his better games are in that lot of 125, but if they are, that price is a dead steal. Would be great to walk through and check his games out for sure.

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Jack bought a nice Globe Trotter from me back in 2012... very nice example. Not sure if his better games are in that lot of 125,

Uh, no.

#994 4 years ago

I am just about finished with restoring this Mermaid. The machine was stored by the last owner for 41 years, before that it was stored at the operators for a few years and I have been working on it off and on for a year. If the years are added up, this game hasn't been played for almost 50 years and was turned on the for the first time last week. I have adjustments to make but all in all it will be finished in the next days. The game was painted entirely blue, scraped it all off with a blade, at first i thought it was a lost cause but actually the blue paint protected the original cabinet and all the colors are extraordinarily bright for their age. I did put in a repro playfield as the original is in terrible shape with 20% painted in solid red........

IMG_5020 (resized).JPGIMG_5020 (resized).JPGUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110e0 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110e0 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110e3 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110e3 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110e6 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_110e6 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c422 (resized).jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c422 (resized).jpg
#995 4 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I am just about finished with restoring this Mermaid. The machine was stored by the last owner for 41 years, before that it was stored at the operators for a few years and I have been working on it off and on for a year. If the years are added up, this game hasn't been played for almost 50 years and was turned on the for the first time last week. I have adjustments to make but all in all it will be finished in the next days. The game was painted entirely blue, scraped it all off with a blade, at first i thought it was a lost cause but actually the blue paint protected the original cabinet and all the colors are extraordinarily bright for their age. I did put in a repro playfield as the original is in terrible shape with 20% painted in solid red........[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s amazing that the paint held up so well. I am digging the crushed velvet curtains in the photo because I feel like it’s lined up for its prom photo.

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

yeah is it just me or is the market pretty soft on everything outside of early 80s solid-states, and machines made in the last decade?
For a few years now at auctions woodrails have been consistently been selling for way less than their estimates.
I'm seeing a growing disinterest in 70s EMs as well.

Shame about that massive lot, tbh.

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

yeah is it just me or is the market pretty soft on everything outside of early 80s solid-states, and machines made in the last decade?
For a few years now at auctions woodrails have been consistently been selling for way less than their estimates.
I'm seeing a growing disinterest in 70s EMs as well.
Shame about that massive lot, tbh.

I’m newly addicted to the older games, but you’re right. It’s a lonely small circle in comparison to the remainder of the community.

#998 4 years ago

Not many woodrail lovers out there but I'm one of them.

#999 4 years ago

Me, too!

#1000 4 years ago

I primarily have 60s and 70s set up, but do have a few woodrails stored.
Although for now, I'm out of room, I'm thinking about going through then having
one set up. I have never played any of these titles, but my considerations are Williams
Sea Wolf, Gusher, Nags, 1956 Fun House, Gottleb Rocket Ship, Bally Balls-a-Poppin.
I have a few others, but pretty sure these are my best choices. Any suggestions?

There are 1,790 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.