20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 36.
#851 4 years ago

This one has been a hot potato between a friend and I. I guess I'm the last one holding. He did the touches on playfield. I actually love the gameplay of this game. The only drawback is the plastics. They look like they should have been in a mid seventies Zaccharia or something
Resized_20190628_170122_8027 (resized).jpegResized_20190628_170122_8027 (resized).jpegResized_20190628_170128_8879 (resized).jpegResized_20190628_170128_8879 (resized).jpeg

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I recently acquired a lockdown bar with an early 1950s Gottlieb machine that clearly wasn't the correct bar

Quoted from ZNET:

Queen of Hearts to accommodate the shooter rod.

Here is another observation. The underside of the lock down bars in question have overspray of red or green, or were the painted at one time and have the paint removed? On my Globe Trotter the bar has red paint on the underside, it doesn't fit quite right. But it does function. There is no red on the cabinet, only orange, blues, and white.

The Flying High, I have just has a clear finish on the underside. The odd observation is what manufacture painted their cabinets with the lock down on the game.

#853 4 years ago

After nearly a decade of looking, finally got one of my favorite woodrails, needs a fair bit of restoration, but it has "good bones" !!

20190618_010235 (resized).jpg20190618_010235 (resized).jpg 20190618_010240 (resized).jpg20190618_010240 (resized).jpg

And after a long battle to get her working, I've discovered that this is one really great playing woodrail, and she's pretty too!!

20190623_203219 (resized).jpg20190623_203219 (resized).jpg 20190623_203227 (resized).jpg20190623_203227 (resized).jpg 20190623_203259 (resized).jpg20190623_203259 (resized).jpg

#854 4 years ago

Post gameplay videos, please!

#855 4 years ago

Beautiful stuff Dale!
I’ve still got a few bits somewhere for your Jack n’ Jill! - I miss it!

#856 4 years ago

Both of them look great!

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Daisy May won't t be up and playing for awhile, but I will when she's done, Diamond Lill was fully playing, but I decided to level some of the inserts, so right now she's out of service too

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

Beautiful stuff Dale!
I’ve still got a few bits somewhere for your Jack n’ Jill! - I miss it!

I'm hoping to have about 10 wood rails set up at my new place eventually, I'll let you know when it happens! (Jack and Jill will definitely be one of them)

#859 4 years ago

Diamond Lill is a fantastic playing game.

Have to nudge or it will eat you up!

I find it easier to win on single points than millions.

Here is Elvis playing it.

Could be yours!

Elvis Playing Diamond Lill (resized).jpgElvis Playing Diamond Lill (resized).jpg
#860 4 years ago

For those who missed it: Pinball Magazine No. 5 has a huge coverage on Gottlieb woodrails in various articles. The massive cover story is an in-depth interview with former Gottlieb designer Wayne Neyens, who designed many of the finest Gottlieb woodrails and also explains why the company steered away from woodrail cabinets. Woodrail collector Randy Peck is also featured in a special article on his Amusementpark-themed gameroom. And there's lots more. Order your copy on: http://www.pinball-magazine.com/shop/
PM05-cover-small (resized).jpgPM05-cover-small (resized).jpg

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

with impulse flippers i could probably do that on my own once i put new rubbers on it.

#862 4 years ago

Need a Heath Coin Chute (or ABT) assembly for a '51 GTB Niagara. See pic of Knock Out coin door for reference.

(Also posted on em parts wanted)

IMG_1637 (resized).JPGIMG_1637 (resized).JPG
#863 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Need a Heath Coin Chute (or ABT) assembly for a '51 GTB Niagara. See pic of Knock Out coin door for reference.
(Also posted on em parts wanted)[quoted image]

Bruce Z was nice enough to sell me the coin drop plate - still need the chute assembly to go on the back side.

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Bruce Z was nice enough to sell me the coin drop plate - still need the chute assembly to go on the back side.

Damn. Did you get this game after Pinfest? Jeff M. had a big box of those coin chutes in the flea market.

1 week later
#865 4 years ago

I picked up this Kings a week ago. The cabinet cleaned up real nice. Starting to work under the glass now. Playfield is in pretty nice shape, worst part is the joker on the left. The upper playfield is almost perfect. Any advice on cleaning? Naphtha ok on these older machines? Thanks!

15635591003241050976114 (resized).jpg15635591003241050976114 (resized).jpg15635591286981364912824 (resized).jpg15635591286981364912824 (resized).jpg
#866 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I picked up this Kings a week ago. The cabinet cleaned up real nice. Starting to work under the glass now. Playfield is in pretty nice shape, worst part is the joker on the left. The upper playfield is almost perfect. Any advice on cleaning? Naphtha ok on these older machines? Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

Novus 2 then wax that puppy

1 month later
#867 4 years ago

Kings is looking much better with some new plastics from Shay and Titan rings. Not to mention a lot of cleaning. Just need a few parts and it should look real nice. Play is good, but a couple pop bumpers need some work. I'll hold off until I get the new parts though. Only other issue is about 20% of the time that I hit the million point shot the score just keeps going until the game is over (I usually just drain the remaining balls). Doesn't matter which side the points were scored on. Any thoughts? Thanks!

20190905_213025 (resized).jpg20190905_213025 (resized).jpg
#868 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Doesn't matter which side the points were scored on. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Without a schematic, I'm not sure. Does it seem to add via motor? Since it seems to add only one million at a time, perhaps a switch is too close or other mechanical problem on the relay that handles that function, coupled with a stuck switch in the subway? Wild guess.

Never played one, but that game looks very fun (and difficult).

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Without a schematic, I'm not sure. Does it seem to add via motor?

I think so, makes a lot of noise when it's adding. It adds 100k at a time in spurts of 5. So you get tick tick tick tick tick pause tick tick tick tick tick pause.

It is a blast to play! Was having one of my best games the other day when the millions issue kicked in. Still a project at this point, so it's all good.

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

I think so, makes a lot of noise when it's adding. It adds 100k at a time in spurts of 5. So you get tick tick tick tick tick pause tick tick tick tick tick pause.

So the million relay has to hold for as long as the 500k relay holds x2. The 500k relay pulses the 100k relay via a motor switch. Everything should get the signal to cut it out once the millions unit (if it exists) steps, or once the 100k unit moves to a new strip for the next million.

This is all guesswork without the schem, but I'd check for something like what I describe above. The switch that pulses the 100K relay will be easy to spot as the cam will have at least 10 bumps.

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

So the million relay has to hold for as long as the 500k relay holds x2. The 500k relay pulses the 100k relay via a motor switch. Everything should get the signal to cut it out once the millions unit (if it exists) steps, or once the 100k unit moves to a new strip for the next million.
This is all guesswork without the schem, but I'd check for something like what I describe above. The switch that pulses the 100K relay will be easy to spot as the cam will have at least 10 bumps.

Thanks, I'll try to dig into it this weekend.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Kings is looking much better with some new plastics from Shay and Titan rings. Not to mention a lot of cleaning. Just need a few parts and it should look real nice. Play is good, but a couple pop bumpers need some work. I'll hold off until I get the new parts though. Only other issue is about 20% of the time that I hit the million point shot the score just keeps going until the game is over (I usually just drain the remaining balls). Doesn't matter which side the points were scored on. Any thoughts? Thanks![quoted image]

Damn, that game is nice!
It was on my radar, but just didn't feel like driving down there that weekend. I'm glad it ended up with you and is getting some love.
If you're going to York, bring it for woodrail row.

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Damn, that game is nice!
It was on my radar, but just didn't feel like driving down there that weekend. I'm glad it ended up with you and is getting some love.
If you're going to York, bring it for woodrail row.

Thanks, it's definitely been getting some love. Current plan is to bring Blackjack to York. I'm willing to part with that one if I need the truck space. Might be able to bring both if I take my wife's Highlander.

#874 4 years ago
20190908_155730 - Copy (resized).jpg20190908_155730 - Copy (resized).jpg
#875 4 years ago

Trying to add some text to my photo of the Kings that I'm fixing up in the post above. I purchased it for $70 at one of the David Silverman auctions a few years back. I'm now have more invested than what its worth. Another games saved though.. This weekend I put flipper coils in it. It had pop bumper coils installed for flipper coils bypassing the eos switches. I was able to find what I think are the original marble flipper bats that I've installed on new shafts.

#876 4 years ago

Cool flippers, are there any more available?

I got most of my problems fixed this weekend. Scoring a lot more points with the left side pop bumpers working, only needed a bit of contact cleaner. Other issue was the 100k chime that had a burnt coil, luckily I had a suitable replacement on hand. It's also been a while since that million point problem has show up. Actually not since I fixed the other stuff, so who knows.

As for spending more than they're worth. Yup, probably me too, but the machines are survivors and deserve it.

It was also nice to hear one of my kids blurt out "I love Kings" while we were playing tonight. Makes it worth the time and money for sure!

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I purchased it for $70 at one of the David Silverman auctions a few years back.

Ah, yes. That final auction where the games were going fast and cheap. That was a truly memorable event. Something that might occur once in a lifetime for a pinball enthusiast. I'm glad I went, and I picked up some games too. I've seen a few others from that auction turn up here and there.

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Cool flippers, are there any more available?
I got most of my problems fixed this weekend. Scoring a lot more points with the left side pop bumpers working, only needed a bit of contact cleaner. Other issue was the 100k chime that had a burnt coil, luckily I had a suitable replacement on hand. It's also been a while since that million point problem has show up. Actually not since I fixed the other stuff, so who knows.
As for spending more than they're worth. Yup, probably me too, but the machines are survivors and deserve it.
It was also nice to hear one of my kids blurt out "I love Kings" while we were playing tonight. Makes it worth the time and money for sure!

The flipper bats were in the cabinet with a bunch of other stuff. The are red with white marble. I think most of the marble colored plastic parts can only be found used. I'm actually looking for a bag or lot of used marble playfield posts for a Williams Crosswords I picked up.

#879 4 years ago

Thanks to Stoomer , we have a new-to-us Gottlieb #Stagecoach and it's quickly becoming a family favorite.

MVIMG_20190831_150154655 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190831_150154655 (resized).jpg

I explained to my wife there are multiple ways to "win" and then showed her one. Next game showed her a couple more, and so on. She's a total convert. Ha-ha! Our son is getting in on the action, too...

IMG_20190831_150508791 (resized).jpgIMG_20190831_150508791 (resized).jpg

And what an art package...

IMG_20190902_100605376 (resized).jpgIMG_20190902_100605376 (resized).jpg

Hard for me to believe this made its way into our basement. Played one at TPF2019 and figured with the low production numbers it might be a long time, if ever, before I was able to nab one. Once again, the pinball fates have smiled upon me.

#880 4 years ago

Finally finished up the Classy Bowler, playing really good and extremely fast for a woodrail. No repainting on the playfield, but did replace and level all the inserts, may do some touchups down the road.

Classy Bowler Finished (resized).jpgClassy Bowler Finished (resized).jpg
#881 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Thanks to Stoomer , we have a new-to-us Gottlieb #Stagecoach and it's quickly becoming a family favorite.

This looks like the Stagecoach that was at Allentown this past Spring. I played it the most out of any games there and wished I was in the position to buy it then. I would still love to find one.

Glad it found a good home.

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

[quoted image]
I explained to my wife there are multiple ways to "win" and then showed her one. Next game showed her a couple more, and so on. She's a total convert. Ha-ha! Our son is getting in on the action, too...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Hard for me to believe this made its way into our basement. Played one at TPF2019 and figured with the low production numbers it might be a long time, if ever, before I was able to nab one. Once again, the pinball fates have smiled upon me.

Congrats.

Gottlieb were at their peak around this time and the multiple ways to win meant the player always felt close to winning.

It's a shame most pinheads just don't know how good this era of games were.

And on nice examples, the playfields are still fantastic 65 years later!

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Hooray!! So happy to see it getting the play it deserves Ryan...that was the most serendipitous pinball deal ever, just meant to be.

Quoted from Gotemwill:

This looks like the Stagecoach that was at Allentown this past Spring. I played it the most out of any games there and wished I was in the position to buy it then. I would still love to find one.
Glad it found a good home.

Now you guys are making me feel bad about selling it!! LOL...actually couldn't be happier...I got ALOT of games and always happy to see one go to a good home...

Sean

#884 4 years ago

I recently found a Twin Bill. The cabinet was painted a lovely granite like color—luckily it came off pretty well and the original paint was relatively intact with just a few gouges and scratches in the cabinet (which were presumably the reason for the paint over). Took a long time to remove the paint!

The playfield was touched up long ago with some lacquer that had yellowed considerably and looked awful, but it cleaned up nicely too. It looks too like someone long ago lacquered a few areas on the back of the backglass where it was beginning to flake—it’s not noticeable from the front and appears to have served its purpose as the backglass looks pretty decent.

The previous owner mentioned it needed to be “rewired” (which frightened me), but he meant that it just needed a new power cord. Otherwise, it had some severely stuck steppers, a few broken leaf switches, some disconnected wires, and some switches in need of adjustment. It now plays well and strong, although I just noticed that the game counter doesn’t count up and so one more thing to fix.

Otherwise, all seems original except for one of the rollovers which is red instead of white. I have a new one that I could replace it with, but it’s too white compared to the other four original ones and so I’ll wait to see if I can come across an old one. Anyone got a spare?

I don’t like touching up or redoing cabinets, but I have a spare cabinet from a Jockey Club that is in rough shape and so I will give a go at restoring this cabinet and repainting it for Twin Bill. I do have a hvlp sprayer, but will try rattle cans first if I can find reasonable color matches. I don’t think it’ll come out perfect, but it at least makes for a nice fall project. So far I’ve got the JC cabinet sanded down, patched, and glued and the woodrail lacquered (with a touch of shellac on the first coat). Next is creating stencils from the original cabinet.

The game play is quite fun with the dual scoring. It doesn’t have points to score like other machines from the same era (instead of a stepper for points, 10k and 100k scores, it has one 10k and two 100k steppers (one for green score and one for red)), but there are lots of ways of winning replays!

69007ADC-5DCE-4EE8-8C51-65A72B98448F (resized).jpeg69007ADC-5DCE-4EE8-8C51-65A72B98448F (resized).jpeg
#885 4 years ago

Just put up a couple vids on King Arthur. Cool game.

4BAE5913-7F8B-4911-92FD-F55E2DFE18CE (resized).jpeg4BAE5913-7F8B-4911-92FD-F55E2DFE18CE (resized).jpeg
#886 4 years ago

World Beauties all done.

IMG_2143 (resized).jpgIMG_2143 (resized).jpgIMG_2144 (resized).jpgIMG_2144 (resized).jpgIMG_2147 (resized).jpgIMG_2147 (resized).jpg
#887 4 years ago
Quoted from dropdeadhippie:

Just put up a couple vids on King Arthur. Cool game.

[quoted image]

Is this the one that appeared at the York show several years ago?
I fell in love with it there. Gorgeous game, and you did a remarkable restoration on it! It's on my wanted list now.

#888 4 years ago

Yup, had a buddy bring it to York when I finished it. Definitely roughest shape game I’ve ever saved. It was really really really bad. Actually bought it as a parts game but decided it looked like a good player (plus there weren’t many parts worth taking).

Have the same buddy bringing a melody to York for me this year. Game turned out nearly perfect except for a clear coat issue. Plays incredible.

That world beauties sure came out looking nice!!
3E81C577-47BD-4140-BB40-4CC251A47A0A (resized).jpeg3E81C577-47BD-4140-BB40-4CC251A47A0A (resized).jpegED5605A7-6564-4BD7-A5AA-662509AE8741 (resized).jpegED5605A7-6564-4BD7-A5AA-662509AE8741 (resized).jpeg

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

World Beauties

This pin is possibly the first game that I can actually remember playing in my youth back in early 60s;
though all I really remember is that the game had lots of pretty girls and an A/B/C feature.

#890 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

I have a spare cabinet from a Jockey Club that is in rough shape and so I will give a go at restoring this cabinet and repainting it for Twin Bill.

Questions about repainting a woodrail cabinet: Does anyone have recommendations for using a finish coat after painting (e.g., something like a krylon satin finish like on the following site)? And does anyone have a good method for painting circles?

https://www.krylon.com/products/satin-finish/

I like how the painting is turning out so far (will post pictures when done), but haven’t the experience to know whether or not a final finish coat is worthwhile. The spray paints I am using are satin finish and are reasonable matches to original color and finish. My gut instinct is to not mess up what is already appearing to be a good final product, but the notion of having a bit of an outer protective layer is tempting.

And thank goodness for all of the straight lines on the Twin Bill cabinet—using thin metal bars negates the need for many stencils! I suppose I’ll need to to make circle stencils for the backbox, but am hoping someone has an easier method.

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

This pin is possibly the first game that I can actually remember playing in my youth back in early 60s;

Sadly, I can't remember my first one. I know it was Gottlieb. I know it was AAB (I lived in WI) and I know it had a ball jack. I also know how to use IPDB and sort on those features and I have had no luck remembering.

#892 4 years ago

Started minor refurb of my 1952 Twenty Grand just picked up a few weeks ago. Decided it just wasn't worth trying to fix the numerous play field issues. Very bad and wrinkled paint around the two lower pops, serious ball wear into the wood above both lower "kick" out holes. All of which had been badly touched up in the past. Just did light touch up to both lower areas and -------- just couldn't leave it that way.

Used alcohol and sanding to clean up the area around the pops, then airbrushed the yellow back in. Used same method to clean up lower play field areas and have filled with wood filler. Now for the mixing, matching, and painting. Wish me luck.

2019-08-25 16.03.07 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 16.03.07 (resized).jpgIMG_4259 (resized).JPGIMG_4259 (resized).JPG2019-08-27 07.57.35 (resized).jpg2019-08-27 07.57.35 (resized).jpg2019-09-14 08.12.40 (resized).jpg2019-09-14 08.12.40 (resized).jpgIMG_4055 (resized).JPGIMG_4055 (resized).JPG2019-09-14 08.12.50 (resized).jpg2019-09-14 08.12.50 (resized).jpgIMG_4255 (resized).JPGIMG_4255 (resized).JPG
#893 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Questions about repainting a woodrail cabinet: Does anyone have recommendations and a good method for painting circles?

For cabinet repaints I take a tracing of the cab then transfer the trace to mdf board and cutout with a jigsaw. In the case of circles I use either an appropriately sized forstner bit or speedbore or holesaw to create the circle in the board ready for spraying. The circles on this method are the easiest part of the process.

#894 4 years ago

Thanks wayner! The circles are 3-5/8” and so just right for a hole saw.

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Started minor refurb of my 1952 Twenty Grand just picked up a few weeks ago. Decided it just wasn't worth trying to fix the numerous play field issues. Very bad and wrinkled paint around the two lower pops, serious ball wear into the wood above both lower "kick" out holes. All of which had been badly touched up in the past. Just did light touch up to both lower areas and -------- just couldn't leave it that way.
Used alcohol and sanding to clean up the area around the pops, then airbrushed the yellow back in. Used same method to clean up lower play field areas and have filled with wood filler. Now for the mixing, matching, and painting. Wish me luck.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What are the odds

york.craigslist.org link

#896 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Kings is looking much better with some new plastics from Shay and Titan rings. Not to mention a lot of cleaning. Just need a few parts and it should look real nice. Play is good, but a couple pop bumpers need some work. I'll hold off until I get the new parts though. Only other issue is about 20% of the time that I hit the million point shot the score just keeps going until the game is over (I usually just drain the remaining balls). Doesn't matter which side the points were scored on. Any thoughts? Thanks![quoted image]

That looks great. There is one on Facebook right now with a trashed playfield for $300 which is upsetting after seeing such a nice one.

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

What are the odds
york.craigslist.org link

Wish it were closer would see if I could make one really nice machine.

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Wish it were closer would see if I could make one really nice machine.

It’s really not that expensive to ship it if you can find someone to grab it for you.

#899 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

That looks great. There is one on Facebook right now with a trashed playfield for $300 which is upsetting after seeing such a nice one.

Thanks, do you have a link? I did a quick search but couldn't find it, I'm not much into Facebook. I did notice a Spirit of 76 that somebody is asking $1500 for. Gotta admit, I'm pretty sure I'd be willing to part with my new machine for that amount!

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from tfduda:

Questions about repainting a woodrail cabinet: Does anyone have recommendations for using a finish coat after painting (e.g., something like a krylon satin finish like on the following site)? And does anyone have a good method for painting circles?
I like how the painting is turning out so far (will post pictures when done), but haven’t the experience to know whether or not a final finish coat is worthwhile. The spray paints I am using are satin finish and are reasonable matches to original color and finish. My gut instinct is to not mess up what is already appearing to be a good final product, but the notion of having a bit of an outer protective layer is tempting.
And thank goodness for all of the straight lines on the Twin Bill cabinet—using thin metal bars negates the need for many stencils! I suppose I’ll need to to make circle stencils for the backbox, but am hoping someone has an easier method.

You can use a laser cutter to cut perfect circles in 1/8" MDF. Did that on Spitfire: https://images.pinside.com/9/a3/9a30b8dcefd9509117a26cfed0ccf32ba23b8f90/resized/large/9a30b8dcefd9509117a26cfed0ccf32ba23b8f90.jpg

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/18?hl=gotemwill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.