20231104_171815.jpg
20231104_171215.jpg
20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 36.
#651 5 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

My favorite restoration, from a couple of years back - a '52 Gottlieb Happy Days, a real favorite when I was a kid. It apparently sat for years derelict in a shed in Mississippi with a bunch of other woodrails when the Coinopwarehouse folks found it.

No playfield glass, so the playfield was a total mess - scratched, filthy and worn, the rubbers all melted onto the surface, and the plastics completely toasted. Luckily the unique playfield inserts and most of the bumper caps were still there.
Relays and other parts had been cannibalized, some coils were fried, plus a hard-to-find mis-wire that took a friend & I many hours to sort out.

Playfield cleaning underway.

As would have been expected, the backglass was in bad shape as well.

On the other hand, the cabinet was in excellent condition.

After lots of touchups to the playfield and new plastics. And a new backglass from Shay Arcade Group. Turned out pretty good.

Turned out great, Tom! Kudos to you for rescuing another classic.
But, what happened to the other games in that shed? I see a "Frontiersman" and a "Lady Luck" in there!

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Turned out great, Tom! Kudos to you for rescuing another classic.
But, what happened to the other games in that shed? I see a "Frontiersman" and a "Lady Luck" in there!

From what I recall, Coinopwarehouse had around 30-40 woodrails and a couple of bingos & other arcade games from that shed on the floor at their old place in Gaithersburg. The games were in pretty bad shape overall but there were some nice ones. At the time, I was really only interested in the Happy Days. Wish I had a do-over for that...

What happened to the rest, I don't know.

Here's a couple more pics of the shed contents:
222048_10150180702772375_2199634_n1 (resized).jpg222048_10150180702772375_2199634_n1 (resized).jpg
225089_10150180784962375_8381726_n (resized).jpg225089_10150180784962375_8381726_n (resized).jpg

This pic is on their loading dock when they were unloading. The Happy Days is on the left, beside the Jalopy.
at warehouse 05-11 (resized).jpgat warehouse 05-11 (resized).jpg

#653 5 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

rubbers all melted onto the surface

Looks great. It's worth putting a lot of work into the restoration if the game has sentimental value like yours does.

Were the rubbers hardened and stuck to the playfield? If so what did you use to soften or clean them off?

#654 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Were the rubbers hardened and stuck to the playfield? If so what did you use to soften or clean them off?

Yeah, rubber had gone pretty much solid. And glued to the playfield. I tried a lot of things, but best result was with iso alcohol, which loosened some of it. But most of it had to be chipped away and that took the ink with it. It was a mess.

#655 5 years ago
Quoted from tomcons:

Yeah, rubber had gone pretty much solid. And glued to the playfield. I tried a lot of things, but best result was with iso alcohol, which loosened some of it. But most of it had to be chipped away and that took the ink with it. It was a mess.

That's what I'm facing. I'm planning to try warming them with a hair dryer and using plastic razor blades.

#656 5 years ago

Earlier this year I worked on a Chicago Coin Fox Hunt with big pools of rubber bonded to the playfield. I had to use a steady hand and a sharp xacto knife to get it off.

#657 5 years ago

That's what I'm facing. I'm planning to try warming them with a hair dryer and using plastic razor blades.

I tried heating it but not much success. Next time I might try cooling it with electronics duster can, maybe that will shrink it a bit. Otherwise it will be iso + exacto again.

#658 5 years ago

I picked up this Gottlieb queen of diamonds. I'm thinking of selling. Backglass has some flaking, cabinet kind of rough. I cant find any previous sales on this site. How do I know where to start pricing? It was just shopped and works fine.

15317754646134549773004868249880 (resized).jpg15317754646134549773004868249880 (resized).jpg
#659 5 years ago

The 2017 Mr. Pinball price guide has it at $1000.
Subtract a few bucks for the backglass and keep your fingers crossed.
It isn't an easy one to sell.
GLWTS,
Walt

#660 5 years ago

I think that's a bit high. It's a fairly common woodrail title, not a terribly good player, and considering it's condition and the going rate for woodrails lately, I'd say it's worth about $650 on the high side.

1 week later
#661 5 years ago

1953 Gottlieb Flying High. Photographed 2 of the leg adjusters that are on my pin. Can they be identified? The one on the left has a patent number which is unreadable, only can read "Patent ____ _5999". The one on the right has no script.

20180728_142211 (resized).jpg20180728_142211 (resized).jpg
20180728_142224 (resized).jpg20180728_142224 (resized).jpg

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

1953 Gottlieb Flying High. Photographed 2 of the leg adjusters that are on my pin. Can they be identified? The one on the left has a patent number which is unreadable, only can read "Patent ___ 5999". The one on the right has no script.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I've never seen the type pictured on the left. I have several of the type on the right.

#663 5 years ago

Thinking, that the one on the left is from some kind of furniture, or a hardware store replacement.

1 month later
#664 5 years ago

Here is another 1953 Flying High question.

DSCN1600 (resized).JPGDSCN1600 (resized).JPG

The 2 upper Blue and White Passive Bumpers, do they use a different bulb? The 47's are to tall. Is it possible that the white body has shrunk/melted, as it appears these 2 bulbs stay on all the time.

#665 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Here is another 1953 Flying High question.
[quoted image]
The 2 upper Blue and White Passive Bumpers, do they use a different bulb? The 47's are to tall. Is it possible that the white body has shrunk/melted, as it appears these 2 bulbs stay on all the time.

I don't know if they stay on all the time but buy a box of #51's They put out the perfect glow in the caps and I call them "shorty bulbs" Trust me they looked awesome in all my games especially Slick Chick.

#666 5 years ago

This was my setup at the recent Vancouver Flipout, 6 woodrails plus a Zeke's Peak and a Bally Skill Roll.

There was quite a bit of interest in the games, unfortunately I wasn't able to spend as much time taliking with people about them as i would have liked.

Next year I hope to have a few more and run a woodrail tournament if i can get them all working perfectly.

20180908_100932 (resized).jpg20180908_100932 (resized).jpg20180908_100940 (resized).jpg20180908_100940 (resized).jpg
#667 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I don't know if they stay on all the time but buy a box of #51's They put out the perfect glow in the caps and I call them "shorty bulbs" Trust me they looked awesome in all my games especially Slick Chick.

+1

#668 5 years ago

I came across this Dancing Dolls that is supposed to be a wood rail.
Guy I bought it from said it was some type of prototype that he purchased from a Gottlieb family member many years ago.
I dont know how true it is but it's in my garage now

20180901_231118 (resized).jpg20180901_231118 (resized).jpg
#669 5 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Thanks Dan, that solved the problem.

#670 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

This was my setup at the recent Vancouver Flipout, 6 woodrails plus a Zeke's Peak and a Bally Skill Roll.
There was quite a bit of interest in the games, unfortunately I wasn't able to spend as much time taliking with people about them as i would have liked.
Next year I hope to have a few more and run a woodrail tournament if i can get them all working perfectly.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, DGPinball! What a great line-up. SOOO cool of you to bring all these woodies for the public to enjoy. Wish I was closer. I would have spent a lot of time in that area. Haha! I've always wanted to play a Jack n' Jill. Never seen one in person yet.

#671 5 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I came across this Dancing Dolls that is supposed to be a wood rail.
Guy I bought it from said it was some type of prototype that he purchased from a Gottlieb family member many years ago.
I dont know how true it is but it's in my garage now
[quoted image]

You can compare your machine to the one on IPDB that is also supposedly a prototype:
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=dancing+dolls&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5902

That cab is strange...I don't recognize it from any other GTB titles, although I could be not thinking of a few, and it doesn't appear to be a wedgehead, yet the cabinet and head pattern match. So the theory that someone threw this in a used cabinet from a later game seems less likely in this case. I've seen that type of thing alot...

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Can you please post pics of your skill roll? I love those.

#673 5 years ago
Quoted from Stoomer:

You can compare your machine to the one on IPDB that is also supposedly a prototype:
https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=dancing+dolls&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#5902
That cab is strange...I don't recognize it from any other GTB titles, although I could be not thinking of a few, and it doesn't appear to be a wedgehead, yet the cabinet and head pattern match. So the theory that someone threw this in a used cabinet from a later game seems less likely in this case. I've seen that type of thing alot...

This has been discussed already here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-dancing-dolls-prototype#post-4573362

#674 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Thanks Dan, that solved the problem.

Anytime Glad I could help.

#675 5 years ago

For anybody who owns a classic woodrail or a Neyens game, this magazine is a must have.

Fantastic, detailed interview and tons of pictures. Weighs a ton!

http://www.pinball-magazine.com/?p=3749

PM05-magazine (resized).jpgPM05-magazine (resized).jpg
#677 5 years ago

Something you don't see often. A $100 Williams Reno woodrail for sale in Ohio on the closed FB group, "Pinball for Sale". (There's already interest in it from a local Ohio pinballer)

Williams Reno pinball (resized).jpgWilliams Reno pinball (resized).jpg
#678 5 years ago

Something you don't see often. A $100 Williams Reno woodrail for sale in Ohio on the closed FB group, "Pinball for Sale". (There's already interest in it from a local Ohio pinballer)[quoted image]

Bought a "Reno" about ten years ago out of a garage in southern NJ for $100. Mine was in better condition that this one.

#679 5 years ago

A fellow collector in USA sold this Nine Sisters game to me a couple of months ago. It needs restoration. I am looking forward to see the "Whirlygig" (ramp) in action! Even though this game has one flipper only, I think it will play pretty well. The backglass is bad, so I am making a new silkscreen backglass in my workshop.

Foto2 (resized).jpgFoto2 (resized).jpgFoto3 (resized).jpgFoto3 (resized).jpg
#680 5 years ago

that Nine Sisters machine looks so amazing! What a unique find.

#681 5 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

that Nine Sisters machine looks so amazing! What a unique find.

agreed. I always thought this was a fun looking game. Anyone in the USA have one for sale, please hit me up!

#682 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballPianist:

I am looking forward to see the "Whirlygig" (ramp) in action!

Yes, a ramp and a single flipper, can't wait to see it in action.

#683 5 years ago

I have played Nine Sisters at both Clay's VFW hall in Michigan
and Randy Peck's Pike's arcade in Long Beach
and it is a surprisingly fun playing and addictive pin.

#684 5 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I have played Nine Sisters at both Clay's VFW hall in Michigan
and Randy Peck's Pike's arcade in Long Beach
and it is a surprisingly fun playing and addictive pin.

Ok nice! How strong was the flipper at those games? I think the flipper of my game is a bit too powerful, the ball jumps over the trap hole, all the way up the plastic shield. Did that happen too when you played the games at Clay's and Randy's?

#685 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballPianist:

Did that happen too when you played the games at Clay's and Randy's?

I do not recall any problems with the flipper being too strong. You may want to check your game to see if coil is original or modern replacement.

#686 5 years ago

Can you identify this Coin Door? Here is a hint, Pinside does not have it as a listed game.

DSCN1602 (resized).JPGDSCN1602 (resized).JPG
It was in the Flying High parts game I bought.

#687 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Can you identify this Coin Door? Here is a hint, Pinside does not have it as a listed game.
[quoted image]
It was in the Flying High parts game I bought.

I believe it's from Watch My Line. What a crazy playfield layout.

#688 5 years ago
Quoted from jsf24:

I believe it's from Watch My Line. What a crazy playfield layout.

Yes, that is the answer. It has a 1930's style figure 8 playfield. Can't be that many left. 1 Pinsider had or has 1.

#689 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Yes, that is the answer. It has a 1930's style figure 8 playfield. Can't be that many left. 1 Pinsider had or has 1.

I had a WML several years ago and sold it. Here's a few pix of it.
Joel

Gottlieb Watch My Line 3 (resized).jpgGottlieb Watch My Line 3 (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2018-10-12 at 10.06.40 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-10-12 at 10.06.40 AM (resized).pngWatch my Line before 10 (resized).jpgWatch my Line before 10 (resized).jpgWatch my Line before 6 (resized).jpgWatch my Line before 6 (resized).jpg
#690 5 years ago

Score card image please.....

#691 5 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Score card image please.....

This is the best that I could find from the old pix... It looks like a fabricated card...

Joel

Gottlieb Watch My Line 4 (resized).jpgGottlieb Watch My Line 4 (resized).jpg
#692 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I know of one that was for sale. Anyone interested please PM me and I will inquire if it's still available and pass your information along.

1 month later
#693 5 years ago

Eight months ago I picked up the Roto Pool, in a combo purchase. It was pretty roached out. I finally got around to going through it and getting it working. The cabinet paint had been sanded off before me. I don't have the talent to make stencils, so I decided to just stain it and keep it wood. I hope the purest owners don't hate on me for the stain! I actually like it better than the original paint scheme. New back glass, new plastics, new buttons and button guards, polished the chrome, painted the legs and coin door. Cleaned and fixed all the other issues. Plays great! Love it!

IMG_5422 (resized).JPGIMG_5422 (resized).JPGIMG_5423 (resized).JPGIMG_5423 (resized).JPGIMG_6493 (resized).jpgIMG_6493 (resized).jpgIMG_6495 (resized).JPGIMG_6495 (resized).JPGIMG_6460 (resized).JPGIMG_6460 (resized).JPG
#694 5 years ago

It doesn't look bad actually.

#695 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It doesn't look bad actually.

And nice work on the restoration!

#696 5 years ago

After pictures of Roto Pool look great ! Very Nice job.

One day I'd like to have one really nice Woodrail.... I like keeping track of this thread and seeing all the nice games.

1 week later
#697 5 years ago

Thanks for the reach out from a fellow pinsider. Too bad you aren't closer....

#698 5 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Eight months ago I picked up the Roto Pool, in a combo purchase. It was pretty roached out. I finally got around to going through it and getting it working. The cabinet paint had been sanded off before me. I don't have the talent to make stencils, so I decided to just stain it and keep it wood. I hope the purest owners don't hate on me for the stain! I actually like it better than the original paint scheme. New back glass, new plastics, new buttons and button guards, polished the chrome, painted the legs and coin door. Cleaned and fixed all the other issues. Plays great! Love it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great job!

#699 5 years ago

I was given a 1959 Golden Bells by a friend a while ago. The art is down the the wood in some spots and knowing how much of a failure my attempt at touch ups were on a different game I decided to clean and the clear it instead.

I put new rings on it and it’s in the queue to get made functional. From memory, a relay locks on when it gets powered up and a few other things. Might need new springs on some steppers.

The saddest thing is the game came with the glass out of the head and between two pieces of cardboard. When we took it out and held it upright about 75% of the art slid right off. I took a few pictures of the glass of a nice example at TPF and plan on recreating the art for mine from that. Won’t be perfect, but will exist.

Lastly, the game came with the instruction card for “21” and after reading that I thought it was interesting. Saw some videos and a few months later one went up for sale about 150 miles away. They wanted a lot, like a lot a lot, and wouldn’t budge even though the cab art was gone and it wasn’t working. Maybe some day.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#700 5 years ago

Such a shame what happened to the backglass and playfield. You can always touch up over the clear as long as the clear isn't too thick and easily clean up the paint and try different colors until they look good then seal the touch ups and clear again.

I'm guessing you've seen it but if not, Vid1900 has an ultimate playfield restoration guide here on Pinside.

There are 1,793 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.