20231104_171031.jpg
20231104_171040.jpg
20230830_182545 (resized).jpg
20230830_182507 (resized).jpg
20230826_171502 (resized).jpg
Mickey Fantasia (resized).JPG
One Grand Blitz (resized).png
Rocket Ship Smaller (resized).jpg

There are 1,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 36.
#451 6 years ago

I think somebody with good woodworking skills could make one if you even found a terrible or broken one to copy. If you are good maybe even without a copy and a few measurements and sketch/ photos from somebody that has one.

#452 6 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I think somebody with good woodworking skills could make one if you even found a terrible or broken one to copy. If you are good maybe even without a copy and a few measurements and sketch/ photos from somebody that has one.

I thought of that but since I'm a purist I'll keep searching and hope I get lucky

#453 6 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

An amazing array of machines & other gear. Do you have any info on the origin of the apparent collection?

Ina and Peter Hoebert http://www.petereninaspeelautomaten.com/intro.html

#454 6 years ago

Thks for sharing such an interesting vid & wow what a fab collection in a beautiful gameroom setting.

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Can you woodrail experts tell me the odds of finding a wooden lockdown bar for a 1958 Williams woodrail. I have it posted over on the em parts wanted ads too........
Looks like this one pictured on this game from the IPDB:

Found one - thanks Bob H

#456 6 years ago

Going to share a couple of photos of my new kitten (Mo)
discovering my (dusty) woodrail collection.

IMG_0867 (resized).JPGIMG_0867 (resized).JPG

IMG_0888 (resized).JPGIMG_0888 (resized).JPG

3 months later
#457 6 years ago

Enjoyed thumbing through this thread, thanks to all who posted all the wonderful pictures!

#458 6 years ago

Update on Spot Bowler I posted a few months ago. Have it running, still a couple of minor glitches, but working and playable. Will not be restoring the playfield or cabinet. Worried with my skills I would do more harm than good trying to touch up the pf. And kind of like the cabinet that shows the bumps and bruises of its life. Do have a question about the back glass. Overall in really good condition for 67 years old but has some wear areas and one in particular where there is paint pealing. Haven't done anything to try to stabilize it as I don't want to for example spray triple thick and then that keeps someone else from restoring it later. Any thoughts?

2016-11-13 20.03.43 - Copy (resized).jpg2016-11-13 20.03.43 - Copy (resized).jpg

2016-10-30 11.58.44 (resized).jpg2016-10-30 11.58.44 (resized).jpg

2016-10-30 11.58.36 (resized).jpg2016-10-30 11.58.36 (resized).jpg

#459 6 years ago

Been meaning to talk about wood rails and seen some good ones. Most are still in good shape but have noticed that some are working upwards in price. It also seems like I see that word RARE sometimes also. I think flippers are starting to get into these some as the prices sometimes reflect that. I think less collectors out there for these so the prices would be easier to get. Does anyone see trouble in trying to find items for restoration projects with these? Bumpers, etc?

#460 6 years ago
Quoted from DCRand:

Update on Spot Bowler I posted a few months ago. Have it running, still a couple of minor glitches, but working and playable. Will not be restoring the playfield or cabinet. Worried with my skills I would do more harm than good trying Haven't done anything to try to stabilize it as I don't want to for example spray triple thick and then that keeps someone else from restoring it later. Any thoughts?

You're better off not restoring the playfield or cabinet as original in these old games is better.

As far as the backglass though you need to seal it now before it gets worse. You actually have to seal it before any paint touch-ups are done, so even if you don't touch it up you need to seal. I only seal if I have delamination or flaking. Make sure you get Krylon Triple-thick crystal clear glaze 0500 (Wal Mart, etc.). Place a large piece of cardboard on ground (I get free from Sam's Costco, etc.) and lay backglass on it. Cut a piece of cardstock or an old playing card to place over the replay window and weight down with washer, nut, etc.. Follow directions on can. I usually start at the top and make sweeping motions to the bottom - 1st coat is heavier. Then, I wait 24 hours and turn the glass the opposite way and re-coat using a lighter coat. Finish with 3rd coat if you want.

#461 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Been meaning to talk about wood rails and seen some good ones. Most are still in good shape but have noticed that some are working upwards in price. It also seems like I see that word RARE sometimes also. I think flippers are starting to get into these some as the prices sometimes reflect that. I think less collectors out there for these so the prices would be easier to get. Does anyone see trouble in trying to find items for restoration projects with these? Bumpers, etc?

You can find most parts with a combination of pbr and ebay etc - make take a bit of patience , especially if you want the original marbled parts. Took me a year to find one marble ball gate!

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

You can find most parts with a combination of pbr and ebay etc - make take a bit of patience , especially if you want the original marbled parts. Took me a year to find one marble ball gate!

I have heard some horror stories about Ebay and was warned away from there. I don't like paypal at least what I have read about it.

I guess patience is what is need in restoration.

I have noticed some people have painted their wood rail pins not the true wood rail look. Better to leave it or at least try and restore it back to the like-it-was-new-appearance?

#463 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I have heard some horror stories about Ebay and was warned away from there. I don't like paypal at least what I have read about it.
I guess patience is what is need in restoration.
I have noticed some people have painted their wood rail pins not the true wood rail look. Better to leave it or at least try and restore it back to the like-it-was-new-appearance?

As Hoov has said, generally woodrails have greater desirability, the closer they are to original.

Best games to find are non working games as they are priced way lower. But, it is important to check that all the main components and parts are in the game. Also ideally, that the playfield is good, decent original cabinet. If backglass is not available as a repro then very important that it is pretty good.

I know that Gottlieb woodrails were built like tanks so once everything is cleaned and adjusted, no reason why they won't work for another 50 years plus.

If you are looking for nice condition, done, finished then buying off a collector is safest way.

As for parts, pretty much everything can be found although some parts are very very difficult to find - the baseballs on Grand Slam, marbled marbles on Marble Queen etc.

Watch youtube videos to see if you like the rules and gameplay as so many very different playing games.

I tend to agree with others that the pre 1955 Gottliebs are in a class of their own, although there were many many great games after this time period.

#464 6 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Going to share a couple of photos of my new kitten (Mo)
discovering my (dusty) woodrail collection.

Mo almost doesn't look real!

#465 6 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

You're better off not restoring the playfield or cabinet as original in these old games is better.
As far as the backglass though you need to seal it now before it gets worse. You actually have to seal it before any paint touch-ups are done, so even if you don't touch it up you need to seal. I only seal if I have delamination or flaking. Make sure you get Krylon Triple-thick crystal clear glaze 0500 (Wal Mart, etc.). Place a large piece of cardboard on ground (I get free from Sam's Costco, etc.) and lay backglass on it. Cut a piece of cardstock or an old playing card to place over the replay window and weight down with washer, nut, etc.. Follow directions on can. I usually start at the top and make sweeping motions to the bottom - 1st coat is heavier. Then, I wait 24 hours and turn the glass the opposite way and re-coat using a lighter coat. Finish with 3rd coat if you want.

I put this out here. If the body is painted I would think it would be better to go back to the original design on cabinet instead of leaving the repaint job on. That is also that you can locate the original design in a photo somewhere. What is it also with painting the legs? I would restore back to a wood finish before I would paint them?

#466 6 years ago

Darn woodrail bonanza saw a classified on Mr. Pinball (old one) 135 woodrails $125.00 each if you buy all. Looked at it yesterday but they took it down.

Just wish they had pictures and what they sold for.

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Darn woodrail bonanza saw a classified on Mr. Pinball (old one) 135 woodrails $125.00 each if you buy all. Looked at it yesterday but they took it down.

Ah, that is Jack. Most are project games and those ads have been appearing for years and years.

#468 6 years ago
Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I put this out here. If the body is painted I would think it would be better to go back to the original design on cabinet instead of leaving the repaint job on. That is also that you can locate the original design in a photo somewhere. What is it also with painting the legs? I would restore back to a wood finish before I would paint them?

I agree. Stripped the blue latex with alcohol, didn't hurt original paint. Stripped legs and refinished to natural wood with all new polished hardware.

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Quoted from Grayman_EM:
Ah, that is Jack. Most are project games and those ads have been appearing for years and years.

Rumor is that they are mostly rough examples. You can find his active for sale ads on Mr. Pinball. Search for Jack and Ohio.

1 week later
#470 6 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

any one ever see a woodrail cabinet like this one? thinking Cinderella was transplanted. looks like 2 pieces of glass
i have come across a small stash of original woodrails, most are complete but have some pf parts missing
not a lot of info as of yet
and any opinions on 54 daffy derby, 53 times square 54 big ben.

I know this is an older post...wanted to add, I have an Alice in Wonder Land like that as well. With the little ball cup un front etc. Very odd.

Quoted from AlexF:

Looks like a "Wisconsin roll down" type cabinet. Plunger removed for anti-gambling laws in some states. What's the front look like? Does it have a little cup that catches the ball?

I would love to hear/read more background on these! Anybody have more details? Were some games that were made orignally as a roll down just gutted and other games (I.e. alice and Cinderella) put into old cabs? Or was someone actually making special brand new roll down cabs for these?

Just intrigues me and I don't see much info out there on them...

#471 6 years ago

I don't know all the details on the "Wisconsin" roll down cabinets. It may have been a Wisconsin only thing. Designed to circumvent an anti-gambling law related to the use of the plunger. Changing it from a game of chance to a game of skill apparently? I have seen it on a couple different games. Not sure if it was a factory built conversion or something put together by operators. Maybe someone sold an aftermarket conversion kit? Pinsider Ramegoom has or had a 1948 United Wisconsin with roll down cabinet and I know I've seen Tropicana in a roll down version. 1948 Bally Melody Roll. I believe there are others. IPDB is down at the moment.

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I don't know all the details on the "Wisconsin" roll down cabinets. It may have been a Wisconsin only thing. Designed to circumvent an anti-gambling law related to the use of the plunger. Changing it from a game of chance to a game of skill apparently? I have seen it on a couple different games. Not sure if it was a factory built conversion or something put together by operators. Maybe someone sold an aftermarket conversion kit? Pinsider Ramegoom has or had a 1948 United Wisconsin with roll down cabinet and I know I've seen Tropicana in a roll down version. 1948 Bally Melody Roll. I believe there are others. IPDB is down at the moment.

I also have a gold mine which is a factory built rolldown I believe.

3 months later
#473 6 years ago

What was your first experience with a Woodrail pinball machine?

For me it was also the first time I ever played a pinball machine and it was as a kid at the St. Louis skating rink. There was a 5 cent Woodrail pinball machine in the arcade that I had to climb on a box to play. I learned quickly what the flippers do and played a couple of games on it. I wish I could go back in time and see what the name of that game was.

Bruce

#474 6 years ago

Probably was a woodrail when i first played pinball
when i was about 5-6 yrs old (1960-61).
Can not prove it, but think it may have been GTB World Beauties.
I write about it some in following basement topic blog.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-my-pinball-basement/page/2#post-3959422

#475 6 years ago

So my buddy has a 1940 era blonde I know very little , fully working good condition..
What is the price range please and thank you

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

So my buddy has a 1940 era blonde I know very little , fully working good condition..
What is the price range please and thank you

You're talking about Chicago Coin "Blondie"? Maybe really nice, $450 or so. Not exactly a legendary title, but one that's not really seen often.

#478 6 years ago

There's also a flipperless 1940 Genco Blondie. http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=322&picno=5671

The 1956 Chicago Coin Blondie has flippers. http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=321&picno=308

I'm not sure what the value of the Genco Blondie would be though.

Bruce

#479 6 years ago

Well that’s interesting. Thank u Bruce

2 weeks later
#480 6 years ago

Someone has been trying to sell this Marathon forever, down to $495 CDN:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-old-video-games/markham-york-region/marathon-woodrail-pinball-machine/1325941924?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Any comments on this game?

#481 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Any comments on this game?

Only 750 made, can not be many left. Unique cabinet and legs. Has a Secret Special when both Players Match. The ad states, it needs work. There are 4 Pinsiders with this game listed in their collections, and one is the GTA.

#482 6 years ago

I know that game has been on kijiji forever but it finally sold yesterday for 400. It had started out at I think 950. It did have some broken\missing scorereel pieces from what I understand. The person who sold that. Picked up that rather nice crossword that was on this week for sale too. Many might know him if they have ever put a machine on kijiji where he usually offers barn beams in trade

1 month later
#483 6 years ago

Picked up my first wood rail this week as part of a package deal. Roto Pool. Anyone have a stencil or high resolution photos of the cabinet. It's unfortunate that a previous owner sanded the sides, so I've got nothing to start with! Ordering a new back glass and repairing some other items first. Thanks!

IMG_5423 (resized).JPGIMG_5423 (resized).JPG

IMG_5422 (resized).JPGIMG_5422 (resized).JPG

#484 6 years ago

Very nice first woodie, but a really tough game to beat. I don't own one.

#485 6 years ago

Stripped my Sittin' Pretty. She needs a good fixin' and cleanin'!

20180219_001856.jpg20180219_001856.jpg

#486 6 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Picked up my first wood rail this week as part of a package deal. Roto Pool. Anyone have a stencil or high resolution photos of the cabinet. It's unfortunate that a previous owner sanded the sides, so I've got nothing to start with! Ordering a new back glass and repairing some other items first. Thanks!

Hi,
You picked up a great game! Enclosing pix of mine, which as you can tell, was fully restored several years ago by the previous owner. I do not know what the exact colors should be from the factory, since all pictures on line show games with varying red, purple and blue tones. I'm pleased with this effort.

Hope this helps and good luck with your game. J

Gottlieb Roto Pool 1 (resized).jpgGottlieb Roto Pool 1 (resized).jpg

Gottlieb Roto Pool 2 (resized).jpgGottlieb Roto Pool 2 (resized).jpg

Gottlieb Roto Pool 3 (resized).jpgGottlieb Roto Pool 3 (resized).jpg

Gottlieb Roto Pool 4 (resized).jpgGottlieb Roto Pool 4 (resized).jpg

Gottlieb Roto Pool 5 (resized).jpgGottlieb Roto Pool 5 (resized).jpg

#487 6 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Stripped my Sittin' Pretty. She needs a good fixin' and cleanin'!

One of my favorites and a keeper for me. It's one that never seems to get rotated out of my game room. Just love the backglass.
Have fun!!

#488 6 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Hi,
You picked up a great game! Enclosing pix of mine, which as you can tell, was fully restored several years ago by the previous owner. I do not know what the exact colors should be from the factory, since all pictures on line show games with varying red, purple and blue tones. I'm pleased with this effort.

Those colors are pretty close Joel - I'd say the purple should be a little darker. Here's a link to when I re-did my RP several years ago - you can see on the before pics the original colors under the legs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFDropfxqR6ODH2

Sean

#489 6 years ago

Just got this Jig Saw from a buddy in trade. Happy to have it.

JigsawA (resized).jpgJigsawA (resized).jpg

JigsawB (resized).jpgJigsawB (resized).jpg

#491 6 years ago

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate it. Fun game!

#492 6 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Hi,

Quoted from Stoomer:

Those colors are pretty close Joel - I'd say the purple should be a little darker. Here's a link to when I re-did my RP several years ago - you can see on the before pics the original colors under the legs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFDropfxqR6ODH2
Sean

Very nice guys, I wish someday mine can look that good! Can either of you help me with a stencil or pattern of the graphics? I'd like to repaint mine as someone completely sanded off the paint!

Thanks
nomo

#493 6 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Very nice guys, I wish someday mine can look that good! Can either of you help me with a stencil or pattern of the graphics? I'd like to repaint mine as someone completely sanded off the paint!
Thanks
nomo

Sorry nomo...I sold mine at Allentown the year I painted it. Thanks for the compliment though!

Sean

#494 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Just got this Jig Saw from a buddy in trade. Happy to have it.

That's gotta be one of the nicest examples of that game I've ever seen!

#495 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That's gotta be one of the nicest examples of that game I've ever seen!

Can anyone give me advice how to create a stencil, or finding a stencil to recreate the paint job?

#496 6 years ago

I made my stencil using Oramask 811 and clear transfer tape. I started by looking at pictures on this site and then drawing the pattern on the Oramask using pencil. I then lightly scored the area I wanted to paint and removed the excess material. I then put the clear transfer tape over it and I was done. It is easy although very time consuming.I would have bought a set if they were available. Here are a few pictures of my work in progress.

A16BBD99-4993-4EBE-B95C-EF12634C5FBC (resized).jpegA16BBD99-4993-4EBE-B95C-EF12634C5FBC (resized).jpeg

6D18B76B-9D60-4A52-8132-9C587191908A (resized).jpeg6D18B76B-9D60-4A52-8132-9C587191908A (resized).jpeg

C018EB24-F2E0-4321-B721-83907EAF9F4E (resized).jpegC018EB24-F2E0-4321-B721-83907EAF9F4E (resized).jpeg

F175EF32-3235-4013-95B3-D569E99E8AF5 (resized).jpegF175EF32-3235-4013-95B3-D569E99E8AF5 (resized).jpeg

D1B908AF-D5F1-4160-9E83-79519FB19CEC (resized).jpegD1B908AF-D5F1-4160-9E83-79519FB19CEC (resized).jpeg

#497 6 years ago

A few more.

942275CE-2AD0-46B3-8A72-EE6EE388D3BC (resized).jpeg942275CE-2AD0-46B3-8A72-EE6EE388D3BC (resized).jpeg

9A7ADCE6-7C25-4288-A773-17201DAF2976 (resized).jpeg9A7ADCE6-7C25-4288-A773-17201DAF2976 (resized).jpeg

0D96BB39-04C6-458F-A37A-8DB02133C185 (resized).jpeg0D96BB39-04C6-458F-A37A-8DB02133C185 (resized).jpeg

0512C682-873A-4CB8-A7D6-363F81F0EAED (resized).jpeg0512C682-873A-4CB8-A7D6-363F81F0EAED (resized).jpeg

#498 6 years ago
Quoted from nomo:

Can anyone give me advice how to create a stencil, or finding a stencil to recreate the paint job?

I painted one of these a long time ago.
I had a good cabinet from which to make a stencil. I used frisket film which was slightly tacky, and traced the design from the good cabinet. It was a difficult one to do because of all the narrow, parallel curved lines. The end result came out pretty well though.

#499 6 years ago

Looks great! Keep us informed when you have it back together for the final unveiling.

#500 6 years ago

Picked up a Williams Rocket pinball. Total project game. but I would like to put it back together. I did find a Repro backglass. If anyone has this game and could send me a picture of the front door so I can be sure it's complete also I need a back door ..but I guess I could make one for the head. also need a few caps that say fire. or maybe this games too far gone to put back together and just sell it?? but it is complete other than that.

20180304_160516 (resized).jpg20180304_160516 (resized).jpg

20180307_195909 (resized).jpg20180307_195909 (resized).jpg

20180304_165437 (resized).jpg20180304_165437 (resized).jpg

There are 1,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woodrail-pinballs/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.