Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mfsrc791
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

da7870a99ecef235089985b598bcc948 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8614 (resized).JPG
    manass dimples (resized).jpg
    IMG_2663 (resized).jpg
    pinball dimples copy (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    773b5aaaac90dec83c248b97d21b1a35dafefbeb (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 2.28.15 PM (resized).png
    46a0df4c01d77581c7c45816d4cab7a46cb3d537 (resized).jpg
    Beavis (resized).jpg
    Wood (resized).jpg
    2049250b476721868529b308954c8bae6c47c979 (resized).jpg
    Dimple - Players View (resized).JPG
    Dimple - Focus (resized).JPG
    IMG_0980 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Wow maybe they should start using cotton balls so it doesn't ruin our Playfields.

well the cotton balls will go good with the tampons a lot on here seem to need.

Personally, someone is having fun with the mosaic effect on photoshop if you ask me. Doesn't look like dimples at all.

#12 6 years ago

nah, either it's photoshop effects, or purposely shot with light and angles just right to blow it out of proportion. I see playfields daily and have for the past 12 years. Dimples look bad when they are fresh and just starting. Even out over time.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

Orbiter I special LE

orbitor 1 doesn't get dimples. I guess from that perspective, if dimples bother you. Orbitor 1 is the pin to own. Never had a dimple on mine in the 8 years i've owned it.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Wrong. You're the person this REALITY CHECK is for. Not ALL games dimple the same. These aren't "fresh" dimples. This is just a shit playfield made of cottage cheese.
    There's a location near me that has 4 Sterns in a row...GB Pro, Tron Pro, GOT Pro, and TWD LE ...all been there for a while, all get tons and tons of play. GB, Tron, GOT look beautiful...smooth smooth smooth...TWD LE looks like clay, just like the pic Pinghetto posted. Why don't they all look similar? Cuz sometimes a game gets a shit playfield.
    The games that look like this WILL NOT EVEN OUT.

could be it was orange peeled from the factory as well. My GB doesn't look anything like this. Looks like my shadow,lotr,ac/dc , tf and all the other DMD games I have. No more dimples than anything else made. I'd need to see more pics of a standard player view angle and more normal shots, to really know if it's camera visuals or not. All the playfields that pass through my doors, even with newer sterns, dont' look any different than the DE, Bally, Williams, Sega, Gottlieb stuff I get.

#23 6 years ago

your comparison is useless. GOT has almost no airballs, nor does tron or the Walking dead. Compare it to a game that has equal number of airballs and you will see just as much beat down. Unless something happened and they made the plywood in the wrong order, and a soft layer somehow was put on top. But that wouldn't be sterns fault, that would be the playfield manufacturer. And shit does happen. not saying it couldn't happen.

Hell, I had a earthshaker playfield come in, out of a game for restoration. You know what? Williams FORGOT to put lacquer on the playfield. At all. Anywhere. there as no lacquer clear at all. Went through production and put on route with bare ink the only thing protecting it. Never seen that happen before. Needless to say as soon as ME hit it. It took the ink off as if it was written on like dry erase marker.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You're willfully ignorant...you're either incapable of reading or intentionally trolling...I can't take this anymore...WALKING DEAD is the one WITH the cottage cheese playfield!!!! The GB near me looks AMAZING! TWD is the one that's all F'd up!

then I just misread it. I find that amazing, because every TWD i've seen or played, hardly has any airballs.

#27 6 years ago

it's not the playfield. Were you around when Shadow was new? that game is airball city. Looked just as shitty in a short time when it came out as these sterns do. Just as bad. IJ dimpled like crazy too. very noticeable because of the way the art is. It's always happened. Most were not around back in the early 90's to witness these factory new B/W games coming off the line and see the abuse the playfields took. Put 10k more plays on it, and lets see how that shit looks. If it's not pummeled flat again, then i'll admit the field was fawked. Until then. Not enough info to go off of yet.

#29 6 years ago

clear has nothing to do with dimples ever. Fact. it always has to do with the wood.

#32 6 years ago

still looks nothing like the initial picture. That's pretty standard dimpling. over time, you won't even know it's there anymore.

#40 6 years ago

I just said i'd need to see more pictures from more of a normal perspective to see the true severity of the situation.

#43 6 years ago

that IM hardly has any plays on it. It's going to be awhile before it looks dimpled like TWD did. If it had any amount of plays on it, that magnet should show signs of edging by now.

My stargate when I took it to a show dimpled like crazy after the first 36 hours. Airballs galore. Looked way worse than that TWD you showed. It evened out over time and you would never know years later.

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Again - of course you will see dimples with a flourescent light blasting on it...but how does it look under normal circumstances? Again - that's the difference between "normal dimpling" and the "lumpy" playfields. I wish you guys could see the lumpy ones in person...you'd get it.

oh, that picture you don't like because it's shot in a way where it accentuates the look of the dimples but you have no problem with the initial posts picture, without more info? This is why I call bullshit on you. I said a million times I wanted to see better representation pictures on the initial post to make a judgement call or not. You argue with me about it. Now you just asked the same fawking thing about a different picture.

At what point does it go from just normal dimples that you have to come to terms with in pinball, to something that's out of the ordinary? What did the clear look like before any games were played on it?

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Normal is when you're looking at it from the players perspective under normal lighting and it looks pretty good. You can see dimples if you look around for them or shine a bright light right on it...but from the players perspective, looks good.

and the initial post picture, is not players perspective under normal lighting. but you refuse to want more pictures on it before bashing stern.

I want to see some normal pictures and not something that looks like a photoshop filter effect on it. Just some normal shots farther back in a regular setting, so we can see what is really going on here.

#75 6 years ago

i know it wasn't photoshopped. I'm saying the way it was taking with the shit resolution, with shit lighting and the angle it was at, makes it look like it was.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

You keep insinuating Brian put a Photoshop filter on that first pic. @&*! you on behalf of Brian.

Youz don't read so well either. I said," it looks like", doesn't mean it was. Just the way the photo came out. clarified it in the statement I just posted right before your rant.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

With golf it was just the opposite. The persimmon wood was so hard that it dimpled the balls:

on the plus side, that clearcoat on that club looks tits.

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinghetto:

Bet there's no dimples in Yomamasville....

only these

manass dimples (resized).jpgmanass dimples (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CaptainNeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wood-vs-balls?tu=CaptainNeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.