(Topic ID: 326985)

Wood rail bells sound horrible

By Silverstreak02

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Recently I finished restoring my 59 Around the World pin. I love the game, but the one and tens bell sound horrible. Instead of a nice bell sound it clunks like a mid 70s Williams chime. The bells are attached to the mounting bracket with a rivet which I believe is stock. In an attempt to improve the sound I removed the rivet and installed a bolt with a grommet. It didn’t help. What can I do to get a nice bell ringing sound instead of this horrible clunk?

#2 1 year ago

Sure they aren't cracked? Do they sound ok if you tap them with a screwdriver or something? Or that the nylon tipped plungers that strike them are broken or missing.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vintage-Pinball:

Sure they aren't cracked? Do they sound ok if you tap them with a screwdriver or something? Or that the nylon tipped plungers that strike them are broken or missing.

They aren’t cracked they sound normal when I flick them with my finger and the plungers are new. I’m baffled.

#4 1 year ago

Is the game high tapped?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Is the game high tapped?

No

#6 1 year ago

Are the grommets that the plunger(s) sit on when at rest still there? Sure that the new plungers are the correct length etc.? Though it's still hard to imagine how those would make the bells sound like a 'clank' instead of a ding or a dong. So if you hit 'em with a screwdriver handle or whatever, they sound fine?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Are the grommets that the plunger(s) sit on when at rest still there? Sure that the new plungers are the correct length etc.? Though it's still hard to imagine how those would make the bells sound like a 'clank' instead of a ding or a dong. So if you hit 'em with a screwdriver handle or whatever, they sound fine?

Originally the bell was attached to the bracket with a rivet. I removed the rivet and replaced it with a bolt and new grommet. The bell sounds fine when I tap it with my finger or other object. I noticed the coil mount can be adjusted to sit closer or further away from the bell. I may try to adjust it as another attempt. The sounds are a big part of the experience and a clunk isn’t good.

#8 1 year ago

I had a 1960 Williams Jungle. Super cool game and I still regret selling it. The one thing that grated on me was the damn bell in the lower cab sounded like someone hitting a metal coffee can with a hammer. I played around with it a bunch of different ways. Even swapped it out with a different bell and and never could get it to sound right. I think I decided it was just where it was placed in the cab was the reason. Maybe it's a similar type issue for you.

#9 1 year ago

A photo on ipdb shows the two bells inside the backbox. Both are electrically operated bells.
    Not sure if this is correct; one of the bells is usually a mechanical clapper type mounted under the 0-9 unit. Are both of your lightbox
    bells electrical as in that photo?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I had a 1960 Williams Jungle. Super cool game and I still regret selling it. The one thing that grated on me was the damn bell in the lower cab sounded like someone hitting a metal coffee can with a hammer. I played around with it a bunch of different ways. Even swapped it out with a different bell and and never could get it to sound right. I think I decided it was just where it was placed in the cab was the reason. Maybe it's a similar type issue for you.

"Diamond Jack" has a small bell mounted toward the back of the main cabinet instead of the usual position in the lightbox. I've heard many of them that sound more like a knocker than a bell. It's very difficult to correct it to sound like a bell, and I believe it's because of the location.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I noticed the coil mount can be adjusted to sit closer or further away from the bell. I may try to adjust it as another attempt. The sounds are a big part of the experience and a clunk isn’t good.

Perhaps it is adjusted too close, and during the brief time the coil is pulsed the plunger tip is actually rebounding high enough after the initial hit (and coil still energized) to lightly hit the bell again and 'kill' the ring? Would be too fast to see it actually happening. Just a theory though, can't think of anything else.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

A photo on ipdb shows the two bells inside the backbox. Both are electrically operated bells.
    Not sure if this is correct; one of the bells is usually a mechanical clapper type mounted under the 0-9 unit. Are both of your lightbox
    bells electrical as in that photo?

JR I posted pictures of my game in the machine section of this site. There are two electrically operated bells in the back box. The picture was taken before I made any changes.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wood-rail-bells-sound-horrible and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.