(Topic ID: 245950)

Wonkavision is LIVE and on the AIR! - The Jersey Jackpot, My dear sir!

By wesman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wonka (resized).jpg
D191E1B7-B001-4B17-A8D2-D7631C9A5F8E (resized).png
20190627_115556 (resized).jpg
20190627_124805 (resized).jpg
20190625_162350 (resized).jpg
20190625_162136 (resized).jpg
20190625_150231 (resized).jpg
20190625_150815 (resized).jpg
20190625_150231 (resized).jpg
20190625_150815 (resized).jpg
20190625_144628 (resized).jpg
20190625_144617 (resized).jpg
20190625_144609 (resized).jpg
20190625_144603 (resized).jpg
20190625_144553 (resized).jpg
20190625_144532 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 4 years ago

wow helicon can't be beat. Seriously - 1st in the entire country.....again (POTC #1). Great job.

Looks like I can stop by tomorrow to finally get my hands on this game. I'm REALLY happy to hear that it seems like audio is a little better. Any update to that damn announcer? I really hope it was fixed. Will give my full impressions hopefully tomorrow.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from trilamb:

Wonkavator is the only thing I care about that can't be added aftermarket (shaker, glass, painted rails).

exactly - SE no question on this one.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

This is not slightly paired down at all, it has more bells and whistles than Dialed In or Woz.
The game comes packaged tighter than a sardine can. Bravo to JJP for stepping up their game and raising the bar yet again.

sorry but you're out of your mind if you think it has more bells and whistles than dialed in or Woz. Factually, not even an opinion, it does not have more bells and whistles as those two absolutely blow this game out of the water when it comes to innovation and substance.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So pro deadpool is horrible and a waste compared to the premium and wonka se is supreme to the le/ce... lol.. ok mister supreme pin master... whatever model delt wants/gets is the must have and what everyone sld get. O yea and earthshaker is now a 3k pin....you sure have changed a lot over the years and i hope the lesser spoken man who didnt always think his opinion was the only right one ..shows back up again.

haha - if you rewind the clock, you'll realize I always speak out and voice my opinion. That has never changed - never will. I'm 100% genuine and you can count on that.

deadpool pro - two choices. You can continue telling people of the amazing deal you got on the pro but I know you - you're playing that pro wishing you had the premium. I understand that. Take my advice and trade it in and get the premium. You're worth it.

I told you before you're wasting your money on the LE for wonka. That's not going to change. What's the exclusive? A big VUK. yawn.

Earthershaker 2k is an amazing deal for a great quality pin. Don't recall anything about me saying it's worth 3k.

best advice yet - don't take my opinion as what you should do. I know it might come off that way b/c it's grounded in such good common sense but ultimately your call. Have fun. Add in your opinion and I will do the same.

EDIT - I see you're trying to defend wonka as being more loaded and innovative than WoZ and DI?? Seriously?

Seriously?

haha - sorry but I'm too tired to explain in more detail. I can't even. Hold on.....

here we go:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-is-more-innovative-wonka-or-dialed-in?hl=delt31

Don't take my word for it....

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

from a guy that also has interest in defending the value of pirates... take it with a grain of salt.
Go out, play the game yourself and decide for yourself.

Although I don't agree there is some conspiracy here I do agree that people should play it for themselves.

I hopefully should be playing it today and will give direct no filtered take it to the bank feedback like I always do.

I know it will shoot like a dream but will I be pleasantly surprised with the audio, code and integration or will it be just as expected and confirm the accuracy of my decision to not buy right now.

I'm actually hoping for the former and blows me away to the point I'm selling a machine to get it right now. We'll see tonight!

Helicon thanks for giving me the opp!

#65 4 years ago

well this thread is a mess. haha

#74 4 years ago

OK - I'm going to bring this thread back on track. Here are my impressions of this game:

I played a ton of Wonka today - by myself, loud music, it was very close to a home use experience. Shout out to Helicon Brewery who not only had the game but also was right there asking how it played and tweaked the flippers in about 5 min to get it to play perfectly (as it needed a little more juice). Doesn't get better than that place!

So here we go.

My biggest concern with this game was not how it shot but the music, effects, lack of JJP "stuff" and integration. After spending hours playing it and really taking everything in, I definitely have a position on this game.....and it's not good. Very disappointed. Just one man's opinion so play it yourself but I thought I would summarize my experience.

First the good stuff:

+Shots. Butter. Expected but def necessary to call out. It's a smooth shooter with clear shots that are visible right away to the player. I will say that my previous butter champion (DI) still has it over this game and that's primarily due to the layout of Wonka. For me, who is not very good at pinball, I could sit there all day and hit those ramps on Wonka. Right ramp is so wide, it's a joke to hit while the left ramp is still very easy. They just aren't very satisfying. The top right flipper is also very easy to hit that top ramp while the top left flipper feels the best when you hit the ball to the spinner on the top right, which is the hardest shot in the game imo but also the best shot of the game. Surprisingly the Gobstopper shot was frustrating b/c I had many times where the ball would bounce out of the hole. I will also say that although ramps are easy, it's super outlane drain friendly which at times felt cheap and reminded me of how Pat wanted this to be quick ball times and good on route. Again, I'm not very good at all and dropped some major coin during my gameplay!

+Assets. Yes - many are worried about not enough speech or video, etc. Maybe it's the new code but the game def has enough video and speech that I didn't walk away saying there was a major gap. Now how they use it is another story but to say JJP didn't pack in real audio and video just wouldn't be accurate. Best use of it thus far is Gene singing. Loved those.

Now the negatives.....

- BY FAR the biggest issue with this game for me is the music and sound, including the narrator. Holy shit - JJP can update the code, add in 4 more toys, integrate it so you literally are in the movie but if they don't fix the music and sound, I would still pass on this game. This has to be the most annoying game to play I've ever tried....ever. It sounds like overkill but the effects when you hit the ramps and other areas of the game - as I was hitting them I said to myself - omg just shut the F up machine. It's that bad. It takes you out of the experience. It's painful. I sensed it the first time I played it and thought wow - it's even worse than I thought and it only got worse. The narrator is absolutely positively the worst I've ever heard as well. It really pulls you out b/c it's so bad. I can't think of any other machine I've played that even comes close to having such a negative impact on my experience.

- Integration. Yes JJP has the video. Yes they have the audio/speech but it's ALL over the place. They just put in random clips here and there and it seems like it's been put together by an amateur vs what we expect from JJP which is everything is in sync - like video and audio matching gameplay - this game tries to bring you into the world of Wonka but it's so mashed up and the video is just that with no speech of the characters (it's very jarring and really takes away from the impact).... everything just feels like it's being thrown at you. You don't really appreciate it b/c of that. I know they intended it to be like that vs the modes/progression but man, it really takes away from feeling like you're playing through a story and more like wonka in chaos. They also seem to completely forget about the dark part of Wonka and just focus on the happy go lucky/over saturated world so you feel like the game is familiar in one sense but completely lacking in another

- Innovation/"Stuff". I stood over Wonka then looked to the right where POTC and DI stood and the first thing I thought was JJP was able to build this game and deliver as expected b/c the game is def diff than his others. The game comparatively speaking to his others titles is so much more simple, it's staggering. As a result, this is the first game from JJP that doesn't feel special. It's by no means a stern pro. But there is something lacking. The gobstopper toy is a major disappointment to me in person considering it just doesn't look good and the mech is just so who cares. The Wonka video in the back right doesn't look nice either (not visually appealing) and although it shows you some text, the entire wonkvision/camera trick just wasn't impressive in the slightest. The game really has nothing else that even comes close to magic. This is another area I was ready to be disappointed about based on online videos but it was even worse in person. Art is extremely generic. Also where are the magnets that effect gameplay? Yes it stops the ball for the flipper but there is no craziness in ball action. btw - I reached all of the MBs (I think).

- Lighting. I'm still scratching my head trying to understand how some people could even compare this games lighting to WoZ. Really? The little LEDs that are new to pinball, are just that....little lights and they did nothing for me. In fact the game seems to either go full seizure mode with all the lights on or just standard but there isn't that elegant WoZ look where it ties to the LCD like Toto escaping. I was really disappointed in this area too. It took away from the magical feeling. This includes the ompa lompa MB which just was pure seizure mode with no finesse to it.

btw - there was what appears to be extra clear or mylar around the sling posts. See pic attached (like a little clear lip around the posts). Not sure what that was but FYI.

Overall, games like Dialed-In which I was disappointed in upon reveal, was a TOTAL diff story after getting my hands on it. This game unfortunately is actually worse than I even thought mainly due to that sound/music issue and it feels just like a super watered down version of what I expect from JJP. It just wasn't special and for the first time, didn't have that wow JJP feeling after the first play.

I know JJP are going for the less is more, but it was sad to see. I was already off the NIB list but at this time, I'm even holding off from HUO unless they fix the major issues. JJP def makes MAJOR code updates (see hobbit) so I'm hopeful things can be turned around.
20190627_115556 (resized).jpg20190627_115556 (resized).jpg20190627_124805 (resized).jpg20190627_124805 (resized).jpg

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Glad you got to play it, and isolated!
The sound package was less annoying for me than at MGC, where five other Wonkas were firing in a hellishly sweet manner. But it doesn't carry the symphonic balance of how Pirates blends everything in and layers it so well. Definitely....abrasive.
I was thinking those were mylar rings under the star posts. Still not sure. But was definitely looking for bunching around the regular posts as well, and noticed what appeared to be some small ripples. Who knows?
I didn't feel anything in the game felt unique, shot wise, mechanically, or mode wise. And yeah, those sparkle lights didn't overwhelm me, though I wonder if they're more compelling in a dark atmosphere.
Definitely felt more like a really solid Stern Premium, than a standard JJP, in many ways. Feels almost like it's from a different family of games....
Lemme ask you this Delt, do you feel very compelled to have at it again? I played maybe 4 games or so, and walked away to other games. I'd go back soon for sure, but can't say I'm expecting different vibes.
Nice write up!

Any game that shoots well will ultimately get my attention so I'm sure I will play it again however my head was ringing and based on my experience, have no interest to own it as is. Again - shooting is the most important thing so it's not like JJP can't fix it but I love that theme so it's disappointing.

Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Thanks for the assessment delt. I will add a few things and see what your thoughts are.
First, I agree 100%. Aside from the magnet stoping the ball I didn't see any action anywhere else on the field that showed reaction to the magnet.
Second, I was not really able to drain out the side of the game. I am not sure why, luck maybe? Game seemed set too easy as far as draining on the outlanes.
Finally, I tend to not value the sound/vid on these games until we are at the end so I am hopeful this game will get it's time in the lime light. Either way in its current form you are correct.
I appreciate you stopping out and giving the game a try. I hope you will make future visits to check it out again or just to play the other games we offer the public. Thanks man!!

I can tell you why you didn't have any side drains like me. It's b/c you're probably good at pinball and I'm not!!! haha

Def will be back - so many good games to play. My biggest regret was not drinking b/c I was taking calls in my car and then jumping back in for more wonka!

#90 4 years ago

What's really unfortunate is I can't use pinbrowser to replace the effects, music or sound either. There are many talented people on these boards who could do an even better job than me on replacing it and that would be an immediate solution but no, it's closed software.

Case in point, I have an iron maiden now and find their music (specifically the lead singer) so annoying but thanks to pinbrowser it's all been replaced.

This is something we never really thought about for a JJP game b/c it's typically a strength. This is bad though - even the wonka pumpers are starting to realize the same.

#101 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

My wife really wants this game but I’m getting a sick feeling in my stomach reading these forums. Anyone ever list a game for sale before they receive it ?[quoted image]

Don't do anything until you play it.

#114 4 years ago

It isn't Pat's best shooter IMO. I would still give that to DI and something about TAF - but that's just nostalgia I think.

It is def the best thing about wonka though as it plays butter smooth.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Welp everyone we sld just cancel the wonka orders ... delt says its pretty horrible overall... .. since he is always right about pins and what they offer we sld all take his opinion and run with it. Thanks so much buddy.. u saved me and many others 7800-10k on this hot mess of a pin. Guess ill just stick with my low budget half of dead pool pro pin until u give us the go ahead on the next hit pin.

I'm like a proud parent watching their child ride a bike for the first time! You're getting it D!

And don't wait for my next recommendation - If you really like Deadpool trade the pro now and get the full experience (ramp, drops, disco etc) with the premium!

; )

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I stopped out Schwoegler's in Madison for an hour today and played 10 games so figured i'd give some quick thoughts. My first few games were lousy but once I got a feel for the shots I started doing better. I think my last 3 games were all above 600K with my final game high score being just over 850K. I figured that was a good note to leave on since there were other people waiting to play the game which is a good sign for a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Summer.
The layout and gameplay gets a 10 from me. Great mix of easy and challenging shots, and a number of unique shots from each flipper. This is Pat Lawlor's best layout and is probably his best game overall.-and I've owned games like TZ and a Collector's quality Whirlwind. It's his best flowing game yet. Rules seem solid and not overly deep or complex which I think is a positive. Ball times are shorter than games like Hobbit or JPOTC and the rule-set seems to match up well for the layout. The game is more about making strategic choices and getting the right stacks in place. I still have a lot to learn as far as the rules go as I prefer to discover stuff as I go vs. seeing it on a video or reading about it.
I got to play at least a few of the modes and saw at least 4 different multiballs (Slugworth, Gobstopper, Kid, Oompa Loompa?) I had the third lock lit for Wonkavator MB but couldn't hit that shot cleanly for the life of me! I wasn't even aware that there was an Oompa Loompa MB but i reached it a couple times. I thought the light show was awesome, I really like the Gobstopper mech as it is really fair and doesn't give many rejects. The 6 mini playfield magnets did mess with the ball a bit and add some randomness but they were pretty subtle overall. The game's audio is probably one of the game's only weak points but i didn't think it was bad by any means. I certainly wouldn't stop me from ordering a game. It just isn't up to the standard of other JJP games like WOZ, Hobbit or JPOTC.
Overall though I think the game is great and will be a big hit for JJP. The only thing holding me back from selling a game and calling Kingpin Games to order one is that I will have at least 3 of them to play on location and have several friends' ordering the game as well so I will have plenty of opportunities to play it. I hope JJP continues selling their Standard models for $7500 as I think the game has a lot of value for the money. I really don't think you are missing that much going down from the LE. The Wonkavator lock shot isn't something you have to hit that often and I think the game looks full enough without it.-it doesn't seem lacking to me and I would be 100% happy with a SE. I think as people play the game more and more the reviews will get better for the game. For a game that's only been out for a week the game (and code) is very good and should continue to get better!

I agree with the SE assessment compared to LE. It's a great value considering HUO will likely be in the high 6k

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 32.99
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider delt31.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonkavision-is-live-and-on-the-air-the-jersey-jackpot-my-dear-sir?tu=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.