(Topic ID: 240627)

Wonka’s the real deal, Stern it’s time to open the Vault.

By TheGunnett

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MrTilt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does Willy Wonka live up to the hype or major let down?”

• Greatest Reveal Ever! I already ordered 24 votes
      13%
    • Let’s wait and see 95 votes
      52%
    • All hype, them podcasters is on the pipe! 63 votes
      35%

(182 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

damn (resized).jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

From a business standpoint, If you were going to release a Lord of the Rings , Tron , etc is now the time? Black Knight looks okay but if I wanted to put up something to slow the competition I’d put out a Vault at 6k.

#2 5 years ago

Put down the crack pipe sir, wake up and smell the coffee, I don't know anymore of those. Wonka looks awful and in no way is threatening Stern or BK sales it won't even see the light of day for probably 6 months. Sorry to say it but ur take on this is ridiculous.

#3 5 years ago

Haha, what competition needs slowing?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

From a business standpoint, If you were going to release a Lord of the Rings , Tron , etc is now the time? Black Knight looks okay but if I wanted to put up something to slow the competition I’d put out a Vault at 6k.

Not sure those games are the answer. TBH they’re a bit dated now.

#5 5 years ago

wonka's the real deal? wtf does that even mean? after all this hype anyone that is impressed with the wonka reveal must be brain dead. cmon people stop forcing yourselves to love something that doesn't deserve loving.

#6 5 years ago

I fell for the hype and created this thread before the reveal. I’ll admit it was a letdown. I thought they weren’t going to release a game until it’s ready. The CE version didn’t have the topper, the different Playfield, the side blades, etc. You would have more money than brains to think you needed a CE than the newly reduced standard edition. My expectations were high and the music and call outs were so chaotic and not cohesive that I was turned off. I hope they can improve those aspects because it does look like a great shooter but I can’t say fun to me.
    I sold my Hobbit and my Dialed In because they weren’t fun. Look at my current lineup of games, I have a JJP POTC & MMR , but I play my GOTG and Deadpool more than anything else. Those games aren’t loaded but with the Cleland sound package and Deadpool’s coding I enjoy them more. Happiness and fun can’t be bought with Toys, it’s a special sauce that’s hard to come by, Hence why Stern has Aces ups their sleeves with their vaults. They essentially have their own catalog of Chicago Gaming titles at their disposal!

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Put down the crack pipe sir, wake up and smell the coffee, I don't know anymore of those. Wonka looks awful and in no way is threatening Stern or BK sales it won't even see the light of day for probably 6 months. Sorry to say it but ur take on this is ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. Wonka is way over-hyped and in no way will it slow the competition (which is the major problem in pinball - not enough competition and quality products). Continuously putting out titles (like Wonka) that appeal to an aging population does nothing to engage a new generation of pinball wizards. My kids hate the Willy Wonka movie and think it's creepy. I wish Jersey Jack would have come through with the Toy Story theme that was rumored to be released. With the 4th TS movie set to be released later this year, a TS pin would have been perfect market timing for release. Let's get a younger generation hooked on pinball so this great hobby doesn't almost die out again!

#8 5 years ago

I have to say for the price point of a JJP standard they seem to shove a lot more in the game than stern. When I look at the JJP standard vs my IMDN premium, which I love, it looks sparse.

I also ate the Wonka hype and was let down. But, I will reserve final judgement for the final product and after I flip it.

#9 5 years ago

There’s more pinball being made now than there has been since the days of WMS Gottleib and DE - definitely not in terms of number of total units made, no argument there at all, but in terms of different manufacturers and variety of titles and don’t forget that Deeproot hasn’t shown their hand yet. Oktoberfest I have played a total of once but thought it fun, Black Knight is being revisited and I would think will do well and wonka will absolutely sell, Alice cooper looks cool although I haven’t played it and so on.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperMas77:

My kids hate the Willy Wonka movie and think it's creepy.

Smart kids. It is creepy and whats even more creepy is adult males standing around that thing playing "Kid Multiball" Come on JJP, smarten up.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Smart kids. It is creepy and whats even more creepy is adult males standing around that thing playing "Kid Multiball" Come on JJP, smarten up.

Yeh, the collecting Kids thing seemed a bit weird.

#12 5 years ago

Keith said that Brats (as they were in the movie) got nixed so kids was the next choice.

#13 5 years ago

Do you think there was any discussion about “ Kid Multiball” ? I’m not very articulate but I think a little brainstorming could of come up with a better title than Bret from Anchor Man would of. I love carpet, I love lamp, Kid Multiball, Chocolate Multiball.... in 5 minutes you’d definitely have something less awkward.

#14 5 years ago

I was pumped to watch the Wonka release last night. I owned 5 sterns in the past and my wife was interested in JJP’s Wonka theme. I was seriously contemplating getting one for my first JJP game if it was great. It’s not on my radar anymore. It’s a kids game. “Kid Multiball “.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperMas77:

Couldn't agree more. Wonka is way over-hyped and in no way will it slow the competition (which is the major problem in pinball - not enough competition and quality products). Continuously putting out titles (like Wonka) that appeal to an aging population does nothing to engage a new generation of pinball wizards. My kids hate the Willy Wonka movie and think it's creepy. I wish Jersey Jack would have come through with the Toy Story theme that was rumored to be released. With the 4th TS movie set to be released later this year, a TS pin would have been perfect market timing for release. Let's get a younger generation hooked on pinball so this great hobby doesn't almost die out again!

This is exactly how I feel. Oompa Loompa give me a break. It’s 2019 for crying out loud.

#16 5 years ago

Sorry you feel that way but a kids game is hardly accurate - just wait until you play it.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Do you think there was any discussion about “ Kid Multiball” ? I’m not very articulate but I think a little brainstorming could of come up with a better title than Bret from Anchor Man would of. I love carpet, I love lamp, Kid Multiball, Chocolate Multiball.... in 5 minutes you’d definitely have something less awkward.

apparently it was called brat multiball which sounds much better (IMO).

They were recently denied by licensing and now it's kid. It was mentioned by Keith during stream

#18 5 years ago

Shoulda been “crybaby multiball” for all you ding bats bitching about something so trivial.

Game looks freakin sweet and I can’t wait to play the sob!!

#19 5 years ago

The rules for kid multiball are akin to the madness multiballs in MM somewhat in that it matters how many kids you’ve collected beforehand and they also lend a certain power each to the round

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

They were recently denied by licensing and now it's kid. It was mentioned by Keith during stream

I couldn’t handle the repetitive music in the stream and had to bail. I had my money out and was ready to preorder but I’ll hang back and see. To be fair I was also not impressed by the repetition in Black Night. Watching pinball and playing Pinball are completely different experiences , that why streaming competitions is popular. I don’t even enjoy waiting for my wife when we play together. So i’ll see in a few months, which I’d bet Stern has another title out by then.

#21 5 years ago

I hear you on that - I cannot wait to play BK3

#22 5 years ago

JJP vs. Stern is like Tesla vs. Kia

#23 5 years ago

I cant help it. The oompaloompas look like Kaneda. Just the truth. Big fan of his podcast not a hater

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

In the fact that they have delays and big screens ?

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Exactly...Kia sells cars Tesla talks cars.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoppyCock:

wonka's the real deal? wtf does that even mean? after all this hype anyone that is impressed with the wonka reveal must be brain dead. cmon people stop forcing yourselves to love something that doesn't deserve loving.

Oh poppycock!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Exactly...Kia sells cars Tesla talks cars.

BURN

damn (resized).jpgdamn (resized).jpg
    #28 5 years ago

Act now before the CE’s & LE’s sellout, there are only FIVE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED of them or you’ll be stuck with the standard that’s on sale for $1,000 off and being produced first. I wonder if Kaneda helped with that marketing strategy.

#29 5 years ago

Dont worry they will make 5 more LE versions, no rush

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperMas77:

Continuously putting out titles (like Wonka) that appeal to an aging population does nothing to engage a new generation of pinball wizards.

JJP obviously knows which segment of the population has $9,500 - $12,500 of disposable income sitting around. If they thought Millennials and Gen Z had money we would be looking at a reveal of Justin Bieber pinball.

The bottom line is whether the game is fun to play. It's not like the vast majority of people are huge Iron Maiden fans, but yet there is someone constantly parked at that machine at the pinball bar I frequent. Why? It's a well designed game that is fun to play.

#31 5 years ago

You guys are certainly a tough crowd. Regardless of hype, I watched the reveal vid and a few other gameplay vids and I don't think it's crazy to say that the game looks really fun with plenty of shots in a really nice overall package to include the art and lightshow. Regardless of whether you are on the Stern bandwagon, you can still appreciate that JJP is giving you a lot more for your money at the 7500 price range. Iron Maiden is a fun pin, but compared to this it looks bare boned no doubt.

Every pinhead has their preferences which we are certainly entitled to, but it's hard for me to understand the aggressive opposition thus far to a game that looks pretty damn cool. If it plays as fun as I'd expect from it being a Pat Lawlor, then many people are going to be very happy and this will certainly be a success

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

'Kid Multiball' sounds terribly uninspired though. Heck, call it 'Contestant Multiball' which isn't the best either, but still better I think.

Or:
    Golden Ticket Holder Multiball
    Visitor Multiball
    Short people who aren't oompa loompa multiball
    Everyone except the old people multiball
    They are brats, but we can't use brat multiball
    Charlie and those other nerds multiball
    Children of the corn multiball
    Douchebags, but not brats multiball
    Spoiled Bra... Kid Multiball
    Future Politicians multiball

I dunno, I'm out of ideas...

Rob

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from per3per3:

but it's hard for me to understand the aggressive opposition thus far to a game that looks pretty damn cool.

If u think its cool then I understand how its hard to understand. I mean I'm sure its a fun pin but many of us just can't get past the cartoonish, kid multiball rainbows of kindness thing. To each his own.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Boy is that stupid.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

If u think its cool then I understand how its hard to understand. I mean I'm sure its a fun pin but many of us just can't get past the cartoonish, kid multiball rainbows of kindness thing. To each his own.

Too cool for school bro!

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperMas77:

Continuously putting out titles (like Wonka) that appeal to an aging population does nothing to engage a new generation of pinball wizards. My kids hate the Willy Wonka movie and think it's creepy.

I'm also getting tired of the Boomer nostalgia train. On the other hand, I don't have Boomer money, so it's probably a smart business move.

On a side note, the Willy Wonka movie gets even creepier when you notice that every vehicle Wonka uses to ferry people to the next spot in the factory has exactly enough seats for the number of people that are left.

#37 5 years ago

Jesus Christ this fuckin pinside is crazy

#39 5 years ago

Not sure how game play is... Art looks beautiful and colorful but the theme killed any chance of me buying. ZERO interest in WW.

I like a few others have kids. Four, 13 and younger and all of them dislike WW. Both movie versions...

Hopefully Toy Story comes through for JJP.......

#40 5 years ago

As a Tron owner... Don't vault it!!

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

As a Tron owner... Don't vault it!!

I have a Tron as well and it is the least played machine in my collection. I would MUCH rather see LOTR vault edition/remake. I would be all over it!!!

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

'Kid Multiball' sounds terribly uninspired though

Why not just do it MM style? For each of the kids that are qualified, call out their name and then say "multiball".

So you'd have "Veruca Salt Multiball"

Or

"Veruca Salt, Charlie Bucket Multiball"

Etc, depending on which ones were qualified.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

I couldn’t handle the repetitive music in the stream and had to bail. I had my money out and was ready to preorder but I’ll hang back and see. To be fair I was also not impressed by the repetition in Black Night. Watching pinball and playing Pinball are completely different experiences , that why streaming competitions is popular. I don’t even enjoy waiting for my wife when we play together. So i’ll see in a few months, which I’d bet Stern has another title out by then.

to me its better than listen to Rock from bands that played decades ago. old Rock theme games do not earn well on location unfortunately no matter how great they play or look.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Tesla? LOL

Those cars are overpriced, over-hyped shit.

Apt analogy if you swap kia for toyota.

I'll take the uber-reliable, unpretentious econobox.

#45 5 years ago

Kid Frenzy? Kid Madness?

#46 5 years ago

Would love to see LOTR vault, priced like and given the CGC treatment, would order that one pretty fast.

#47 5 years ago

just wonder if collecting kids for multiball was originally a Trudeau design?

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Stem makes money like Kia. Unfortunately JJP makes money like Tesla.
    Stern gets games out the door quickly and Tesla not so much

So yeah kinda agree with you

But I do like the more head to head competition with Stern Prems at the $7500 price point.

Does stern need to roll out a VE to slow JJP down? Stern usually rolls out a VE mid year anyway and JJP will likely slow down Wonka with long shipping delays. I know they said differently with faster shipping for Wonka but we will see. I hope they get games out the door.

#49 5 years ago

I'm still waiting for JJP to build something that has an interesting theme.

#50 5 years ago

If they vaulted LOTR, but went Bakshi instead of Jackson I'd be down.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonkas-the-real-deal-stern-its-time-to-open-the-vault?hl=pinballomatic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.