(Topic ID: 240627)

Wonka’s the real deal, Stern it’s time to open the Vault.

By TheGunnett

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MrTilt
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Does Willy Wonka live up to the hype or major let down?”

• Greatest Reveal Ever! I already ordered 24 votes
      13%
    • Let’s wait and see 95 votes
      52%
    • All hype, them podcasters is on the pipe! 63 votes
      35%

(182 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

damn (resized).jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperMas77:

Couldn't agree more. Wonka is way over-hyped and in no way will it slow the competition (which is the major problem in pinball - not enough competition and quality products). Continuously putting out titles (like Wonka) that appeal to an aging population does nothing to engage a new generation of pinball wizards. My kids hate the Willy Wonka movie and think it's creepy. I wish Jersey Jack would have come through with the Toy Story theme that was rumored to be released. With the 4th TS movie set to be released later this year, a TS pin would have been perfect market timing for release. Let's get a younger generation hooked on pinball so this great hobby doesn't almost die out again!

Well said. WONKA seems to be WOZ II with a Lawlor layout. It's that childlike. I'm extra curious about what Eric can do with GNR now that WONKA has shored up the family-friendly account for JJP. More attitude, fewer slide whistles and xylophones, please.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

'Kid Multiball' sounds terribly uninspired though. Heck, call it 'Contestant Multiball' which isn't the best either, but still better I think.
    Or:
    Golden Ticket Holder Multiball
    Visitor Multiball
    Short people who aren't oompa loompa multiball
    Everyone except the old people multiball
    They are brats, but we can't use brat multiball
    Charlie and those other nerds multiball
    Children of the corn multiball
    Douchebags, but not brats multiball
    Spoiled Bra... Kid Multiball
    Future Politicians multiball
    I dunno, I'm out of ideas...
    Rob

Just leave it as a setting in the system menu with "KID" as a default, but up to 8 characters and the owner/operator can change it to whatever they want, even "BRAT" again.

And actually, since the kids are teamed up to make the multiball more powerful, call it TEAM MULTIBALL. ANYTHING but "KID".

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Do you think there was any discussion about “ Kid Multiball” ? I’m not very articulate but I think a little brainstorming could of come up with a better title than Bret from Anchor Man would of. I love carpet, I love lamp, Kid Multiball, Chocolate Multiball.... in 5 minutes you’d definitely have something less awkward.

I don't remember a Bret in Anchorman. I believe you are referring to Brick.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from imharrow:

If they vaulted LOTR, but went Bakshi instead of Jackson I'd be down.

So would that game end half way thru the story?

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

apparently it was called brat multiball which sounds much better (IMO).
    They were recently denied by licensing and now it's kid. It was mentioned by Keith during stream

That’s totally lame. The kids are referred to as brats in one of the Oompah Loompah songs. And they clearly are brats, that’s the freaking point - and moral - of the movie. Don’t be a brat! Don’t raise a brat!

Who exactly is the licensee trying to protect? Absurd.

Also enjoying some of the more notorious Stern fanbois shit on this one. Also absurd, but predictable.

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

That’s totally lame. The kids are referred to as brats in one of the Oompah Loompah songs. And they clearly are brats, that’s the freaking point - and moral - of the movie. Don’t be a brat! Don’t raise a brat!

Yea, thats what makes the movie, seeing those brats and parents geting whats coming to them and Gene Wilder totally not giving two shits.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Who exactly is the licensee trying to protect? Absurd.
    Also enjoying some of the more notorious Stern fanbois shit on this one. Also absurd, but predictable.

It might have been because Charlie is included in that multiball and he is not a brat.

#58 5 years ago

Charlie and the Brats Multiball

Also a great band name

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

More attitude, fewer slide whistles and xylophones, please.

I 100% agree! Slide whistles and xylophones are nails on a chalkboard to me. I would love to see JJP take on a more adult theme.

#60 5 years ago

Pinside does a lot of hand waving about prices, because people here are

A) used to it to the point of being numb

and

B) some are rich enough to casually buy several NIB games a year

Normal people outside this bubble don't consider spending $7500+ on a game a bargain. Stern is already getting too expensive for some, and they have an option that's nearly $2000 cheaper. That's real money to most, not a pocket change difference. People with good hookups were paying $4300 for Metallica Pros. Think about it, that's crazy.

Wonka is "another JJP game", for people who like what they do. It will appeal to a similar audience that's already bought a WOZ or a Dialed In. It's not for me, but I see the appeal for sure, and I don't doubt it will sell okay. A hit? I think not, I could be wrong.

I'm seeing fans of the movie feeling mixed on it, that to me says it didn't pass a magic "must have" threshold. Wonka is a funny story, it's got a dark theme running through it, and my sense is the people who love it for that reason are feeling like the game is leaning more light and breezy in tone. Guess we'll see. For this kind of money I firmly believe the irrational, emotional connection is a must.

I'm sure Stern misses being "the only pinball company", but nothing about this release says they should panic.

The fact that JJP is price dropping could mean lots of things, none of us can see the numbers. But my guess? Their sales are hurting because there are only so many whales shelling out for games with a lot of overpriced window dressing. Margins on powdercoating some parts look pretty great!

They're trying to reach more people. Just a question of if $7500 is enough to expand the reach or not.

3 weeks later
    #61 4 years ago

TRON VE im in
    One of Sterns best - had the TRON LE so yes i miss it@!

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonkas-the-real-deal-stern-its-time-to-open-the-vault/page/2?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.