Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hazoff
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Need some perspective form those who have owned or currently own these games . I have a smaller collection but getting ready to add a new game . I’ve narrowed it down to these three as I have played them extensively on location . I like a deeper game but my wife likes something with a straight forward rule set . ( she plays our attack from mars the most) . Which game has had the most staying power for you ?

#2 3 years ago

I own those three, really can't go wrong with any of them. I'd say DI is my favorite of the three, but Maiden is very close behind that and Wonka very close behind that (kind of like an A+, A, A- type of thing). Any more parameters? Wonka is the most family friendly (the movie has lots of black humor, but the pin doesn't), Maiden is a great game but I think appreciating the band would go a long way, and DI is for hardcore pinheads/Lawlor fans. None of 'em have a straight forward rule set and they're all deep games, but there are enough obvious things to do that don't require studying a manual or Bowen/DeadFlip videos.

I'd ask my wife to rank 'em if she wasn't sleeping right now, but I'm sure she'd say Wonka #1, not sure how the other two would shake out. But she loves themes. If Iron Maiden was Great British Bake Off or Schitt's Creek themed instead, she'd probably play it 8 hours a day.

#3 3 years ago

I haven't played Wonka (not found it anywhere near me) but to be honest the theme does nothing for me so for me personally it's an uninteresting title to own. I do have played the other two and I really like DI, while I find IM to be so-so.

#4 3 years ago

DI or Maiden for sure. Wonka is poor in my view. Dim and uninspiring. Shots are ok but the code for the game just doesn't have that one more go feeling. I own DI and Maiden and borrowed a Wonka from my dealer during lockdown with a view to buying one, glad I didn't just buy it. If you want a deep but wife friendly game I'd consider Elvira - fantastic ruleset, epic shots and brilliantly entertaining.

Neil.

#5 3 years ago

I own DI and my friend has Wonka and Maiden so have played both a good bit.

Wonka is my least favorite. I wouldn’t buy it for myself.

I haven’t played Maiden premium so not sure if that’s much better but the pro I s lack lacking in toys. Theme is good the rules and gameplay and art are outstanding. I’m considering to buy a Maiden next myself.

DI is my favorite by a lot, i love the disaster theme and humor is like AFM and shots with subway action are like TZ one of my favorites. In fact this is like a very modern updated B/W game to me love the camera and hologram. This is one of my favorite games ever. Great rules and art etc.

#6 3 years ago

Unless your a big metal fan, I say DI. Wonka is fun but, in my opinion, it falls short of DI.

#7 3 years ago

None of those three, sorry!!

#8 3 years ago

why not JP over maiden?

#9 3 years ago

Maiden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dialed In>>>>>Wonka

#10 3 years ago

I would agree except.... Maiden>>>>Dialed in>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(insert any new stern)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wonka!
    Maiden and DI are good games Wonka needs a GI and the geometry fixed.

2 out of 3 ain't bad..

#11 3 years ago

Dialed In > Maiden >> Wonka

#12 3 years ago

Never played a Maiden, but any of the JJP games have good long term play/value to me.

#13 3 years ago

1 Iron Maiden
    2 Dialed In
    3 Wonka

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

Wonka needs a GI and the geometry fixed.

"Geometry fixed"!?! It has some of the smoothest shots ever and shots flow right into another. I own Wonka and DI. I think DI is the better game overall, but Wonka is a smoother shooter...by a nose. Can't stand Maiden for multiple reasons.

#15 3 years ago

1) DI (hated the look of DI when I first saw it, but it's such a great game I got over the theme)
    2) Maiden (fun game, but not as fun as DI)
    3) Wonka (I hate it...piece of garbage)

#16 3 years ago

No poll?!! Blasphemy.

Maiden takes the win in this race.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

"Geometry fixed"!?! It has some of the smoothest shots ever and shots flow right into another. I own Wonka and DI. I think DI is the better game overall, but Wonka is a smoother shooter...by a nose. Can't stand Maiden for multiple reasons.

You can always tell the fanboys when they say Wonka has no flow.
    There’s other things I guess people may not like but the pin is as smooth as Tennessee whiskey

#18 3 years ago

Maiden is my favorite game of all time, so I'm either biased, or just preaching the gospel, you decide.

1. Iron Maiden
    2. Dialed In
    3. Kiddie Slot Machine

#19 3 years ago

If you're going to start a thread like this, please include a poll.

#21 3 years ago

IM hands down. It feels like a modern version of Twilight Zone. I wish I can enjoy JJP games but they do nothing to help with immersion with that giant screen.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

IM hands down. It feels like a modern version of Twilight Zone. I wish I can enjoy JJP games but they do nothing to help with immersion with that giant screen.

Modern version of TZ? I like Maiden, but come on...they aren't even in the same ballpark.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Modern version of TZ? I like Maiden, but come on...they aren't even in the same ballpark.

The lack of toys and subways (both of which TZ had in excess) really separate the two. Also the upper playfield.

Back on topic really like IM as well but prefer DI in this case.

#24 3 years ago

DI more like TZ imo

#25 3 years ago

In my opinion, your wife would like DI the most, unless she likes a darker theme like Maiden. Plus if you don’t like the band, that could hurt too. Maiden is a tough game to get to see what the code has to offer, but it’s good. DI has great flow and is a typical Lawlor game. In my opinion, it’s better than Wonka. For me, I’d pick Maiden, but I love the band and music. DI is more quirky, family friendly, but still a fun game. Both Maiden and DI are mode based games. If you can’t try them out, maybe watch some gameplay online. It’s not the same as playing, but it will help you see how the games themes are.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

1 Iron Maiden
    2 Dialed In
    3 Wonka

Same

#27 3 years ago

Iron Maiden 100%

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from ViperJelly:

The lack of toys and subways (both of which TZ had in excess) really separate the two.

Agreed, Maiden dominates TZ in these areas. Everlasting gumball-stopper? Pass. Subways? Give me the ball already, Pat.

Quoted from ViperJelly:

Also the upper playfield.

Great if you enjoy bagatelle.

Sure, I'm exaggerating a little, but everything Maiden does differently than TZ is everything I love about pinball. They don't have much in common outside of flipper count & location.

#29 3 years ago

probably dialed it. it's unique. wonka is horrible

#30 3 years ago

Ive owned DI LE, IMDN LE, and Wonka LE.....in my opinion its Wonka by a mile....IM is a great layout, but the theme and music sucked (I know some people love the music).....I just had a hard time getting over the DI and IM themes + the four flippers, flow, and rules on Wonka are awesome

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Agreed, Maiden dominates TZ in these areas. Everlasting gumball-stopper? Pass. Subways? Give me the ball already, Pat.

Great if you enjoy bagatelle.
    Sure, I'm exaggerating a little, but everything Maiden does differently than TZ is everything I love about pinball. They don't have much in common outside of flipper count & location.

I do enjoy all those things though I never said it was better. I was just explaining how they were significantly different. If all games played the same it would be a boring hobby.

#32 3 years ago

Have all 3. DI is my favorite of the 3.

#33 3 years ago

1) IMDN
    2) DI
    3)Wonka

#34 3 years ago

I bought DI brand new and sold it after 6 months. I thought it was a very well designed pin and shot well, but I just wasn't having fun playing it. I appear to be in the minority though, so it's hard to say until you play them all extensively. For me, DI got less play than JP2 Prem, JJP POTC, and Getaway. I traded it for a Hobbit Smaug LE.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deadlander:

I would agree except.... Maiden>>>>Dialed in>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(insert any new stern)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Wonka!
    Maiden and DI are good games Wonka needs a GI

I 100% agree with this. Wonka has about 8 total gi lights!? It's a very dark game. Needs a $500 pinstadium neo fusion upgrade sadly.

I had an LE for a couple weeks and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. If you absolutely LOVE the movie then you'll probably like this game.

I delivered it, the buyer plugged it in, turned it on and immediately said... "a bunch of the Gi lights must not be working". He started looking around the playfield and realized there are only a few Gi lights on the entire game. WOW?! Why is JJP cheaping out on Gi lights? No spotlights either? Weird.

#36 3 years ago

1. Wonka LE
    2. DI LE
    3. IMDN LE

#37 3 years ago

Havent played IM but I love Dialed in. Wonka is ok but i dont have a ton of time on it. Dialed in just makes me smile when I play it. Some dont like the theme but it feels like Sim City to me which I like!

#38 3 years ago

Maiden. No question. Second choice, DI.

#39 3 years ago

Hmmm...Maiden or DI...good question. Tough one there. I like both a lot...but I'm just going to say IMDN becasue it's so diff'rent.

#40 3 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback on this one . I’m leaning DI. I actually like it being its own original theme . I’ve had a few sterns and think I would like to try something a bit different. I didn’t do a poll because I wanted to get some examples specifically about staying power and how deep the games are in a home environment. You guys gave me some great feedback . Again , thanks a bunch. Especially on wonka , I tend to get caught up in nostalgia , so it’s cool to have some honest reviews. Another factor for me is that on location there are far more opportunities to play maiden than dialed in . So that factors in .

#41 3 years ago

I love DI. It will get the blood pumping when you reach CQC/Armageddon/Showdown. You can play it for a long time and still find/see things you haven't seen before.

#42 3 years ago

Maiden first. That could be a thread title, imo.

#43 3 years ago

My fiancée is not big on theme for maiden so I might slip a Jurassic park.

But maiden, first. I’ll deal with her lack of enthusiasm.

#44 3 years ago

I've played all of them and own DI and Wonka. I just sold the majority of my games before I move into a new house. DI and Wonka are still here. Can't go wrong with either of them. If you have young kids go with Wonka. If you have older kids go with DI. Never understood the love for IMDN. Fun game, but unless you love the band, I would recommend the other two first. Bought them from Mike at Automated. Great experience.

#45 3 years ago

Don't own any but I would say DI for me for its unique style. The music just kills it for me on IMDN. I like Wonka too and the shots are smooth but DI might edge it out for me as far as game play.

#46 3 years ago

Depends on if there's stairs and if you have a strong friend.

If there are no stairs then i say: DI > IMDN > WW

if there are stairs and you don't have a strong friend: IMDN >DI > WW

If you have stairs and a strong friend then I'd go with DI.

The extra 125# is really felt half way up a flight.

#47 3 years ago

Depends on my mood if Maiden or Dialed In takes the top spot. I love the way Wonka shoots. But, I could never gel with the rules, sounds, or display on Wonka. That was a big miss for me. And that is a childhood dream theme for me. Thought it was going to be an auto buy....

#48 3 years ago

1Wonka LE- stellar theme, smooth flow, great rules and depth.
    2Dialed in LE- original theme, quirkiness, good rules, packed
    3Maiden- good music, good rules/loop shot, nice flow, Eddie!

All great games!

#49 3 years ago

Nothing wrong with AFM but it’s next to my DI. DI gets at least 5 times more play.

So DI gets my vote, just got Wonka like that.
    Sorry no interest in IM , I have Met so I’m good with music pins. Good luck

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMpins16:

I appreciate all the feedback on this one . I’m leaning DI. I actually like it being its own original theme . I’ve had a few sterns and think I would like to try something a bit different. I didn’t do a poll because I wanted to get some examples specifically about staying power and how deep the games are in a home environment. You guys gave me some great feedback . Again , thanks a bunch. Especially on wonka , I tend to get caught up in nostalgia , so it’s cool to have some honest reviews. Another factor for me is that on location there are far more opportunities to play maiden than dialed in . So that factors in .

I have 6 Stern pins and might have had a dozen in my time and they seem to get a little lighter and somewhat more fragile the newer they are. I have a 14 year old PotC which looks new and my 6 month old SW has more shooter lane wear.

The new Stern pins are great with the rules they are cranking out they are truly great ( I just bought SW premium) but they do feel a bit less robust than the JJP or GCG pins.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-vs-maiden-vs-dialed-in-?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.