42%
  • Dialed In 182 votes
    58%

(313 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg
207973F8-45D1-4AD7-95AE-15865C64D525 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

Right now I'm not super impressed with the theme integration with Wonka or the rules. There's a lot of video clips in Wonka but you only see the actors faces and not their voices a majority of the time which I don't understand. Dialed In comes across as a much more cohesive package as everything had to be custom designed from the ground up. I would also argue that Dialed In has more in it compared to any of the Wonka models.

I'm in a wait and see pattern until Wonka code is more complete which I'm sure will improve as JJP delivers on code. Currently the ruleset appears to be a bit simpler compared to past JJP pins, especially Dialed In. There's I believe 4 main modes (the factory modes), 4-5 multiballs, 1 mini wizard mode, and the main wizard mode "Pure Imagination". There's not enough main modes in my opinion and some of the multiballs felt very generic (Kid and Slugworth multiball). I'm also bummed there doesn't appear to be reward system for completing modes such as the SIM card collect feature in Dialed In which I think really helps give that game legs.

1 month later
#110 4 years ago

Still going with Dialed In here. Wonka appears stripped down compared to Dialed In and the theme integration is severely lacking in my opinion. Theres multiple video clips in the game for iconic scenes yet they are silent and played on a loop. Just seems odd.

Dialed In is one of the best pins ever made. Everything in it is from the mind of Pat Lawlor, custom built from the ground up including all animations, music, and sounds. Theres nothing else out there like it.

To those who can't get past the cell phone and the female quantum mechanic toys I say your loss. Nearly everyone has a smart phone today, it's part of our lives, and I seriously doubt anyone is saying "I hate this thing" as they use it dozens of times throughout their day. Also good on JJP for representing a women in a way that a majority of pinball machines have not. A female mechanic? Yes, that's awesome and normal. If that toy was a dude no one would be complaining.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Now that I've finally had a chance to see and play Wonka, I can say that neither game excites me.
Disappointing as I was looking forward to a Gene Wilder Wonka movie themed game too.

What was it about Wonka that disappointed you?

5 months later
#141 4 years ago

Now that Wonka code has developed more does anyone think Wonka surpasses Dialed In?

I recently played a Wonka and still prefer Dialed In. DI has not only more toys and features in my opinion but also deeper / more interesting code. In Wonka everything seems to be constantly stacking and the factory modes don't come across as these separate moments in the way that Dialed In's disaster modes do. I'm still bummed with the way the license assets in Wonka are used, just doesn't feel right.

2 months later
#166 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

Isn't the goal to get sim cards, and what does dialed in as a term mean? Just asking seriously, haven't played it, couldn't get past the theme.

The term "Dialed In" can apply to a phone but is also just a generic term for doing something well (being in the zone). Its a perfect title for the game since "Dialed In" is a phrase often used when describing a player having a great game on any pinball machine. I can't help but to smile when I hear that term used outside of a pinball which is often. In my opinion it's a perfect title for a pin.

Dialed In the pinball machine is disaster game that involves a phone. None of the 11 main Diaster Modes or wizard modes are directly about cell phones but rather disasters. The cell phone toy itself is pretty damn cool and the SIM card feature is one of the most rewarding hooks in pinball.

3 months later
#167 3 years ago

I'm strongly considering buying a Wonka LE to go next to my Dialed In LE. While Wonka LE doesn't have as many mechs as Dialed In it still seems like one hell of a great game.

On another note I don't think there's a more loaded standard body game then Dialed In. What an incredible pin, pinball perfection in my opinion.

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg20200514_122814 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#171 3 years ago

I'm still surprised with the direction JJP went with the ruleset and use of licensed assets for Wonka. There is not enough dedicated story based modes in the game and the few that are often have silent video clips playing on repeat and or are being stacked with 1 or more additional modes. Many of the games modes remind me of points based modes found in Funhouse and TZ versus story based modes with multiple stages found in games like Dialed In, LOTR, and Hobbit. All of this is just my opinion of course, I tend to prefer games that feel like a journey over those focused solely on points.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Agree regarding SIM shot. It truly holds that game back in addition to theme. Still really enjoy it though

I think the SIM card shot / feature is one of the best parts about Dialed In. The shot is purposely meant to be hard and acts as a reward for completing Disaster Modes. My game has the factory Cliffy installed at the SIM card shot and with the upper left flipper power at 14 I have a good shot at making it. There are very few games that have a reward feature similar to Dialed In for completing modes, the only other I can think of is LOTR with the Gift of the Elves feature.

The SIM card shot / feature keeps me coming back for more games as I try to get more "Dialed In" letters. The feature is really a game within a game which I think helps give it longevity, especially in a home environment.

2 years later
#225 1 year ago

They are both excellent games. I sold my Dialed In for a Wonka and have been happy with the decision. Despite the great gameplay the theme of Dialed In didn’t keep me interested long term, there was nothing meaningful about the the theme for me. My friends and family rarely played Dialed In because of the theme, I think it just left people confused.

Also, I never found the multi balls in Dialed In to be very interesting. The main multiball in Dialed In is often more frustrating and dull IMO due to it only starting as a two ball multiball (would have to go after an add a ball).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,600 (OBO)
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-vs-di?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.