42%
  • Dialed In 182 votes
    58%

(313 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg
207973F8-45D1-4AD7-95AE-15865C64D525 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 5 years ago

Confess that I am biased, and ever since getting my WOZECLE, no JJP game released since has given me the "rush to buy" ...until potentially WONKA, which I'm very excited to play and potentially buy. Really, really want this game to be Pat at his best (have to play it alot first, however). DI was never an option for me after seeing and playing it, so an easy choice between the 2.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was at the Dialed In reveal at Expo, and man, people were just bummed out when the cloths came off the games, everything got quiet. Nobody could believe that the cell phone rumor was true, whole room felt pretty crummy, I felt bad for Pat and the team. And it was fully pitched as a phone game, let's not pretend otherwise. If you were there you got the comic book even (pretty cool promo idea) and it was the focus there also.
So everyone streams out of the seminar, and there's grumbling. I later saw on Pinside people were bitching too, but nobody at the show was reading online stuff, we were already there.
Then of course what happened is the games went out on the show floor, and people got to play them. And you started seeing the attitude change. Because it's a fun game. I know I felt differently after flipping it. You would talk to people and you could really see the change rippling out as people got time with it.
There were still complaints, but it was more like "the phone part is eh, but it's a fun game" kind of stuff. Having multiple games on the floor all working was impressive too.
So I get home from Expo, I log on to Pinside, and man, it was a shark fest here. People smelled blood in the water and were eating each other's bellies, it was just bitching left and right. Phone game blah blah blah. It was just interesting to see how the forum was still in the original reveal mode still, and the people at the show had already moved to the next phase because they'd played it.
My takeaway from it all was this:
1) Being there and flipping the game counts. Duh, no shit, of course, but sometimes I think we need a reminder of that here.
2) Theme and initial presentation really matters. It doesn't matter that it's not a phone game, it's still a phone game. That's what people saw, and you can't shake it.
Dialed In was probably a missed opportunity. Maybe they needed more young people in the room, it felt a little bit like your grandpa trying to be hip. If they had ditched the cute Dialed In name, made the phone a 'pocket computer' and leaned into the futuristic city disaster theme without changing anything else? Might have been a different result, who knows. It's been talked to death, and can't be changed now. I only care because I want original themes to do well.

I was there as well, and you are spot on w assessment, etc. Still have the mini comic book somewhere. Went after it on the floor the following day, played a few games, but eventually walked away...done. Couldn't unsee the main visual or get past the title. "It doesn't matter that it's not a phone game, it's a phone game"- sums it up perfectly.

"dialed in" is a term used constantly in my work field, and my mobile is on/ available to my client 24/7. I'm on it constantly. While these devices are a part of modern life for both young and old, pinball gives me the escape needed.

Side Note - has anyone paid attention to what these "younger generation" are looking/ interacting w on their phones? Shit - everything from streaming, advanced interactive gaming, social media, etc. . Making actual phone calls is almost unheard of.

All for owning a new PL game, original theme or not. Arguable his (2x) best and most recognized pins, TAF and TZ, both have a strong theme (think door is reopening w TZ in TV land, correct? that's how powerful a good theme can be).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MK6PIN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-vs-di?tu=MK6PIN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.