42%
  • Dialed In 182 votes
    58%

(313 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg
207973F8-45D1-4AD7-95AE-15865C64D525 (resized).jpeg
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Thanks so much for all your thoughts! I played both on location this weekend and I agree on several points. Wonka was honestly a bit annoying to me in terms of sound. DI was more approachable for my kid (and me) and the layout flowed better for us, and we both liked the gadgets a lot more - especially the theater. Something about Wonka felt a bit cheaper to me, which probably isn't fair but that's the impression I got.
Both seem like they would shine in a home environment. For us the moving target, pinball2000-esque theater, multiple magnets, and impressive animations made DI a winner. I'm ordering one this week.

Good choice! Either is good. You will enjoy DI a bit more especially if you play casually with kids or guests. Both are great bangs for the buck compared to some other games for sale.

#152 4 years ago

If you're "thinking about" getting a NIB DI, you better pull that trigger pretty soon. Jersey Jen sent out an email saying that they have a "VERY limited" supply in stock and that they "have no immediate plans to manufacture more in the near future".

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Jersey Jen sent out an email saying that they have a "VERY limited" supply in stock and that they "have no immediate plans to manufacture more in the near future".

To be clear it actually said they have very limited supply of DI LEs available.

#154 4 years ago

Is LE the way to go on this title ? If so, why?

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Is LE the way to go on this title ? If so, why?

Meh...it has the candy coated armor stuff & probably expensive glass if you're into that.
The biggest thing I can remember is it has bulbs on the left ramp that the standard doesn't, wasn't a big deal for me.

EDIT: "lighted laser etched city "

#156 4 years ago

LE has coated armor, invisiglass, headphone jack with external volume, lighted ramps (and there are a lot of lights), a printed manual, and the nicer backdrop in the cabinet. Plus the numbered plaque. If you care about those things it's a fair price for the upgrade. And if you don't you won't be missing any gameplay features.

I just ordered an LE from JJP.

#157 4 years ago

Why anyone in the world would buy this NIB blows my mind when you have many HUO selling at 7-7.5. I'm a guy that buys NIB too but when the game has been on the market for years, not sure why not just go HUO and save. Not just 100s but 1000s.

They being said if you're buying NIB, LE so day.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Why anyone in the world would buy this NIB blows my mind when you have many HUO selling at 7-7.5. I'm a guy that buys NIB too but when the game has been on the market for years, not sure why not just go HUO and save. Not just 100s but 1000s.
They being said if you're buying NIB, LE so day.

Don't forget that you live on the east coast where most machines are readily available. There are no used ones in my area and once I pay for shipping the price difference for a used one is pretty small. Add in the potential lack of warranty coverage, additional wear, and increased risk that something will arrive broken or in poor condition...buying NIB is a small premium for a lot of advantages.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Don't forget that you live on the east coast where most machines are readily available. There are no used ones in my area and once I pay for shipping the price difference for a used one is pretty small. Add in the potential lack of warranty coverage, additional wear, and increased risk that something will arrive broken or in poor condition...buying NIB is a small premium for a lot of advantages.

Shipped to you would be 7800. NIB arrives damaged all the time. Warranty is there believe me, you'll be fine. There is no additional wear when it comes in true HUO. In fact HUO often times corrects the out of box issues from NIB so you'll save time.

I see you're new to these boards - that's the only reason I mention b/c when I first started, I thought the same. Saving thousands always feels good - just throwing it out there.

#160 4 years ago

I have purchased NIB, HUO, and routed. All have their advantages. In this case the bit of extra cash isn't a big deal. There's one used LE on the market listed at a reasonable 7600, but the owner won't ship (and I asked over PM).

Also, the warranty explicitly says it only covers the original purchaser. Would JJP make exceptions? Maybe, but again we're not talking about a huge amount of money. I'm happy to buy NIB and save some time.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I have purchased NIB, HUO, and routed. All have their advantages. In this case the bit of extra cash isn't a big deal. There's one used LE on the market listed at a reasonable 7600, but the owner won't ship (and I asked over PM).
Also, the warranty explicitly says it only covers the original purchaser. Would JJP make exceptions? Maybe, but again we're not talking about a huge amount of money. I'm happy to buy NIB and save some time.

Which ever one of these you decide to buy,it’s worth it for either one!I have both and love both.

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Hey you do you! Enjoy it.DI is a great game

1 week later
#163 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is not a cell phone theme. It is a tool used to help progress through the game.

Isn't the goal to get sim cards, and what does dialed in as a term mean? Just asking seriously, haven't played it, couldn't get past the theme.

#164 4 years ago

You do get SIM cards but it is not a cell phone theme. It’s a disaster theme.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

Isn't the goal to get sim cards, and what does dialed in as a term mean? Just asking seriously, haven't played it, couldn't get past the theme.

You own road show (a theme about construction work) and bride of pinbot (a theme about a female robot being constructed), but a disaster/cell phone theme is where you drew the line?

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from benbethel:

The term "Dialed In" can apply to a phone but is also just a generic term for doing something well (being in the zone). Its a perfect title for the game since "Dialed In" is a phrase often used when describing a player having a great game on any pinball machine. I can't help but to smile when I hear that term used outside of a pinball which is often. In my opinion it's a perfect title for a pin.

Dialed In the pinball machine is disaster game that involves a phone. None of the 11 main Diaster Modes or wizard modes are directly about cell phones but rather disasters. The cell phone toy itself is pretty damn cool and the SIM card feature is one of the most rewarding hooks in pinball.

3 months later
#167 3 years ago

I'm strongly considering buying a Wonka LE to go next to my Dialed In LE. While Wonka LE doesn't have as many mechs as Dialed In it still seems like one hell of a great game.

On another note I don't think there's a more loaded standard body game then Dialed In. What an incredible pin, pinball perfection in my opinion.

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg20200514_122814 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#168 3 years ago

It's been a while, curious for those that have played both, what game people would rather have?

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

It's been a while, curious for those that have played both, what game people would rather have?

I have DILE and now temporary Wonka LE. Just my opinion but Wonka is not that great, I’m not playing it at all.

Your results may differ.

#170 3 years ago

Wonka left after six months. DI is going strong after two years. Both are fun, but DI is a masterpiece. Such a great story arc and original theme... killer shots and flow, deep code without feeling like a chore... sound, toys, lighting are all aces.

It’s a shame some people couldn’t get past the whole cell phone and mom jeans thing, there’s so much great humor and campy fun at the core of it. Hopefully will not be the last original JJP game.

#171 3 years ago

I'm still surprised with the direction JJP went with the ruleset and use of licensed assets for Wonka. There is not enough dedicated story based modes in the game and the few that are often have silent video clips playing on repeat and or are being stacked with 1 or more additional modes. Many of the games modes remind me of points based modes found in Funhouse and TZ versus story based modes with multiple stages found in games like Dialed In, LOTR, and Hobbit. All of this is just my opinion of course, I tend to prefer games that feel like a journey over those focused solely on points.

#172 3 years ago

I too am struggling with which game to purchase. Any other thoughts from people that have owned both?

#173 3 years ago

I've owned both....DI LE was fun, but it left after 6 months. I know its a lame excuse, but the theme sucked for me...I'm really enjoying Wonka...once u figure out the rule set its a blast to play.

#174 3 years ago

For the money right now dialed in is a better “deal” imo compared to wonka. However, purely on theme and shots wonka has the advantage. If you have kids, they have trouble seeing the upper right flipper on wonka, as it is obstructed by the right ramp. I have a local arcade with a wonka ce and a dialed in le. I enjoyed the whimsicalness of both games. Dialed in is unlike any other pinball I’ve ever played. Whereas, wonka almost felt familiar in a lawlor sense. Not that that is a negative it’s just dialed in is it’s own world really which allows the player to get lost in it. I also enjoyed the many throw backs to prior lawlor Games in dialed in But I’m partial to road show, addams family etc...

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

For the money right now dialed in is a better “deal” imo compared to wonka. However, purely on theme and shots wonka has the advantage. If you have kids, they have trouble seeing the upper right flipper on wonka, as it is obstructed by the right ramp. I have a local arcade with a wonka ce and a dialed in le. I enjoyed the whimsicalness of both games. Dialed in is unlike any other pinball I’ve ever played. Whereas, wonka almost felt familiar in a lawlor sense. Not that that is a negative it’s just dialed in is it’s own world really which allows the player to get lost in it. I also enjoyed the many throw backs to prior lawlor Games in dialed in But I’m partial to road show, addams family etc...

well said....I actually replace the sign that blocks that flipper....its a real challenge for the kids to see...the nice thing is the flipper auto flips letting u know that balls coming...that really helps the kids

#176 3 years ago

If you can get past the cringe “kid multiball”, Wonka’s theme and play seems pretty fun. Unfortunately have yet to play Wonka. Dialed In would have to be a one of many in a lineup for me to even consider due to the many other great pins out there.

#177 3 years ago

Similar to people not being able to get past the theme on DI.... I just can't get into the code on Wonka. It shoots amazing. Looks even better. But, man, that code is just not my thing (rules, display, and sounds). And I really want to like it.

I'd have to cast my vote for DI.

#178 3 years ago

We own both. For us it is Wonka for sure. The theme to DI is really tough. The shots on DI are smoother though. Wonka is just more fun to play for us. I am a fan of the movie and very happy with the experience.

#179 3 years ago

I'll re cast my vote and say dialed in. It blew me away the first time I played it. I was dead set on a batman 66 and did a 180 and here we are.

One fun game I like to play is anytime someone says, "I hate that theme," i immediately look at what they own. It is hilarious. Usually someone that hates this theme owns things like a whirlwind or fish tales or bride of pinbot or the like. You're telling me that tornados and lying about fish and sex robots are themes you said, "oh fuck yes" about? I play games despite themes. I own a Metallica. I don't give a single crap about that band but the game is awesome. Look past the theme, and you'll find an awesome game.

#180 3 years ago

If you could combine that wonka theme onto Dialed In, you would have a masterpiece.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If you could combine that wonka theme onto Dialed In, you would have a masterpiece.

I agree. Have them side by side and Dialed In definitely has smoother shots. Not sure if my Wonka just needs some tuning, but DILE arrived smooth as silk. Wonka is just more fun to play IMHO.

#182 3 years ago

I appreciated the great flow and toys on DI and the theme is well done if it fits your tastes, but for me the rules got old. It became repetitive after owning for about a year, especially with the PITA SIM shot. Reminded me of 90’s B/W’s - great machines that may not hold up over time in a small collection.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I hear what your saying, but IMHO Wonka shoots better than DI....the four flippers on Wonka is incredible....

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I appreciated the great flow and toys on DI and the theme is well done if it fits your tastes, but for me the rules got old. It became repetitive after owning for about a year, especially with the PITA SIM shot. Reminded me of 90’s B/W’s - great machines that may not hold up over time in a small collection.

This is kind of how I felt. Wonka has a bit more randomness and feels like a more complex game to me.

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Agree regarding SIM shot. It truly holds that game back in addition to theme. Still really enjoy it though

#186 3 years ago

Both are still my favorites...hope I never have to choose to let one go....

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Agree regarding SIM shot. It truly holds that game back in addition to theme. Still really enjoy it though

I think the SIM card shot / feature is one of the best parts about Dialed In. The shot is purposely meant to be hard and acts as a reward for completing Disaster Modes. My game has the factory Cliffy installed at the SIM card shot and with the upper left flipper power at 14 I have a good shot at making it. There are very few games that have a reward feature similar to Dialed In for completing modes, the only other I can think of is LOTR with the Gift of the Elves feature.

The SIM card shot / feature keeps me coming back for more games as I try to get more "Dialed In" letters. The feature is really a game within a game which I think helps give it longevity, especially in a home environment.

#188 3 years ago

The sim card pays out 100k for one shot. I've had whole games where I don't score that much. Not to mention it makes every mode more lucrative after you hit them. So I actually like the difficulty of it. And it isn't exactly impossible to hit, just lower on the upper flipper.

I'd be more upset with the shot if it was used in modes. It's not. It has literally one purpose (two if you count the super skill shot, but you can use the side ramp for that). So I think that is totally fine.

#189 3 years ago

The sim card shot isn't nearly as hard to hit as the shot into Red's mouth in Lawlor's Road Show.

#190 3 years ago

I really enjoy the different bank shots you can try (and sometimes make) to get the ball into the sim card hole - off the left post of the phone, off the big bang target, off the left and right ticket targets, off the rubber above the drone target. There are probably more. And isn’t amazing how easy it is to hit the sim card hole when you don’t need to?

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The sim card shot isn't nearly as hard to hit as the shot into Red's mouth in Lawlor's Road Show.

Is shooting your balls into Red’s mouth part of the game or do you just enjoy doing it?I sold mine years ago,and don’t remember

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Is shooting your balls into Red’s mouth part of the game or do you just enjoy doing it?I sold mine years ago,and don’t remember

Don't threaten me with a good time! Getting her mouth open while you have your ball coming into your "upper flipper" for a shot is a rare feat. Ted, on the other hand...that man is a cheap gas station whore.

#193 3 years ago

I had both and I’d consider buying a Dialed In again as a filler game until something else comes out. It wasn’t a keeper but a good game, great shots and innovation just not much personality. I hated the “personality “ of Wonka that it’s almost unplayable for me and I like the film but the game doesn’t remotely translate well. The movie is edgier and darker and it’s 50 years older.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the SIM card shot / feature is one of the best parts about Dialed In. The shot is purposely meant to be hard and acts as a reward for completing Disaster Modes. My game has the factory Cliffy installed at the SIM card shot and with the upper left flipper power at 14 I have a good shot at making it. There are very few games that have a reward feature similar to Dialed In for completing modes, the only other I can think of is LOTR with the Gift of the Elves feature.
The SIM card shot / feature keeps me coming back for more games as I try to get more "Dialed In" letters. The feature is really a game within a game which I think helps give it longevity, especially in a home environment.

Yeah I just don’t agree that it’s a shot based on skill. I know tough shots and respect them but this shot is not all skill. Def luck to get out in there. Many owners agree and I’m not one to care about scores but that shot is just flawed.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yeah I just don’t agree that it’s a shot based on skill. I know tough shots and respect them but this shot is not all skill. Def luck to get out in there. Many owners agree and I’m not one to care about scores but that shot is just flawed.

I’m all about lighting sims and then bank shot them with multiball

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Come on, man - this is Quantum City ! Where quantum physics is the rule of law - we’re dealing with probabilities here, not absolutes. For instance - what’s the probability that your ball will be near the sim card hole and go in at a given time ? - it takes a bloody lot of skill to increase that probability.

One needs to get past the old-fashioned notion that you simply push the flipper button at the right time and directly hit a target of your choice.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Come on, man - this is Quantum City ! Where quantum physics is the rule of law - we’re dealing with probabilities here, not absolutes. For instance - what’s the probability that your ball will be near the sim card hole and go in at a given time ? - it takes a bloody lot of skill to increase that probability.
One needs to get past the old-fashioned notion that you simply push the flipper button at the right time and directly hit a target of your choice.

This is a he genius of Pat Lawlor or should I say Lord Lawlor?

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Don't threaten me with a good time! Getting her mouth open while you have your ball coming into your "upper flipper" for a shot is a rare feat. Ted, on the other hand...that man is a cheap gas station whore.

Oh hell, now I remember.Your right it didn't happen very often but when it did Red would spit the ball out and say Yuck how do you eat those things!haha

2 months later
#199 3 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

I too am struggling with which game to purchase. Any other thoughts from people that have owned both?

Did you wind up getting one? I’m in that boat now? Huge investment in my first pin. I made a long trip to try a wonka (played dialed in and loved it). Wonka was really great as well. My take aways were that I would personally probably enjoy dialed in more, but my family and friends who aren’t pinheads would like wonka better. Wonka you can make stuff happen pretty quickly where with dialed in you have to hit QED then the Phone Scoop or nothing really.

What did you decide?

#200 3 years ago

Had DI here at home for three months. Just couldn't get into it. Lighting is beautiful and so are the decoration, the later is ofset by the two really uggly interacting figures in the game. I was also annoyed by the scoring imbalance, which further highlighted there is little more to do then the Chaos-missions. The sounds in game is terrible. The voices/chars on the Phone is mildly funny, but Could have been used much better.
Also to thoose saying it's packed with stuff. The stuff isn't really interacting during game play. It's more of mods/decoration.

Would love to try wonka, havent gotten a chance, but it looks much better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-vs-di/page/4?hl=gblack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.