42%
  • Dialed In 182 votes
    58%

(313 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg
207973F8-45D1-4AD7-95AE-15865C64D525 (resized).jpeg
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

It was a joke lol

I should have used this not this

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

No. Because it has ~1 thing about hot dogs rather than ~8 things about cell phones, such as the main toy and centerpiece of the playfield and cabinet artwork.

Lol, fair point. You guys are right in that the game definitely has the cellphone as a large focus of it's theme (A lot more than just a selfie-mode). I guess the best way to describe it would be a cellphone based disaster theme. There's really no easy way to categorize it though. Pat Lawlor came up with one of the weirdest themes in pinball, which I think is awesome.

#53 5 years ago

Who gives a crap. It’s not a hard leap to understand the thought process by trying to incorporate a smart phone theme into a game. Lord knows every human in the universe who makes more than $400 a month has their head buried in their phone three and a half hours longer than they should per day.

The game is genius and a blast to play. I vote DI. Wonka is beautiful though. Framework is there for greatness.

#54 4 years ago

The more I look at these 2 games, the more I realize how great DI really is.
I confess - I think I have been wrong about DI - great layout and toys and despite the phone theme - there is great integration

#55 4 years ago

Confess that I am biased, and ever since getting my WOZECLE, no JJP game released since has given me the "rush to buy" ...until potentially WONKA, which I'm very excited to play and potentially buy. Really, really want this game to be Pat at his best (have to play it alot first, however). DI was never an option for me after seeing and playing it, so an easy choice between the 2.

#56 4 years ago

Pass on both titles!!!!

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I confess - I think I have been wrong about DI - great layout and toys and despite the phone theme - there is great integration

I was at the Dialed In reveal at Expo, and man, people were just bummed out when the cloths came off the games, everything got quiet. Nobody could believe that the cell phone rumor was true, whole room felt pretty crummy, I felt bad for Pat and the team. And it was fully pitched as a phone game, let's not pretend otherwise. If you were there you got the comic book even (pretty cool promo idea) and it was the focus there also.

So everyone streams out of the seminar, and there's grumbling. I later saw on Pinside people were bitching too, but nobody at the show was reading online stuff, we were already there.

Then of course what happened is the games went out on the show floor, and people got to play them. And you started seeing the attitude change. Because it's a fun game. I know I felt differently after flipping it. You would talk to people and you could really see the change rippling out as people got time with it.

There were still complaints, but it was more like "the phone part is eh, but it's a fun game" kind of stuff. Having multiple games on the floor all working was impressive too.

So I get home from Expo, I log on to Pinside, and man, it was a shark fest here. People smelled blood in the water and were eating each other's bellies, it was just bitching left and right. Phone game blah blah blah. It was just interesting to see how the forum was still in the original reveal mode still, and the people at the show had already moved to the next phase because they'd played it.

My takeaway from it all was this:

1) Being there and flipping the game counts. Duh, no shit, of course, but sometimes I think we need a reminder of that here.

2) Theme and initial presentation really matters. It doesn't matter that it's not a phone game, it's still a phone game. That's what people saw, and you can't shake it.

Dialed In was probably a missed opportunity. Maybe they needed more young people in the room, it felt a little bit like your grandpa trying to be hip. If they had ditched the cute Dialed In name, made the phone a 'pocket computer' and leaned into the futuristic city disaster theme without changing anything else? Might have been a different result, who knows. It's been talked to death, and can't be changed now. I only care because I want original themes to do well.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Btw, that female voice, Mandy, is Lawlors wife.

I heard that rumor too. I directly asked Pat's wife about that at MGC in a conversation we had. She flatly denied that and went out of her way to ask the guys and find out the name of the female that they had to hunt down via Facebook - JJP liked her voice in some other game and tracked her down. Pat's wife said she had no interest in doing voices on Pat's games ... she said with a smile.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was at the Dialed In reveal at Expo, and man, people were just bummed out when the cloths came off the games, everything got quiet. Nobody could believe that the cell phone rumor was true, whole room felt pretty crummy, I felt bad for Pat and the team. And it was fully pitched as a phone game, let's not pretend otherwise. If you were there you got the comic book even (pretty cool promo idea) and it was the focus there also.
So everyone streams out of the seminar, and there's grumbling. I later saw on Pinside people were bitching too, but nobody at the show was reading online stuff, we were already there.
Then of course what happened is the games went out on the show floor, and people got to play them. And you started seeing the attitude change. Because it's a fun game. I know I felt differently after flipping it. You would talk to people and you could really see the change rippling out as people got time with it.
There were still complaints, but it was more like "the phone part is eh, but it's a fun game" kind of stuff. Having multiple games on the floor all working was impressive too.
So I get home from Expo, I log on to Pinside, and man, it was a shark fest here. People smelled blood in the water and were eating each other's bellies, it was just bitching left and right. Phone game blah blah blah. It was just interesting to see how the forum was still in the original reveal mode still, and the people at the show had already moved to the next phase because they'd played it.
My takeaway from it all was this:
1) Being there and flipping the game counts. Duh, no shit, of course, but sometimes I think we need a reminder of that here.
2) Theme and initial presentation really matters. It doesn't matter that it's not a phone game, it's still a phone game. That's what people saw, and you can't shake it.
Dialed In was probably a missed opportunity. Maybe they needed more young people in the room, it felt a little bit like your grandpa trying to be hip. If they had ditched the cute Dialed In name, made the phone a 'pocket computer' and leaned into the futuristic city disaster theme without changing anything else? Might have been a different result, who knows. It's been talked to death, and can't be changed now. I only care because I want original themes to do well.

I was there as well, and you are spot on w assessment, etc. Still have the mini comic book somewhere. Went after it on the floor the following day, played a few games, but eventually walked away...done. Couldn't unsee the main visual or get past the title. "It doesn't matter that it's not a phone game, it's a phone game"- sums it up perfectly.

"dialed in" is a term used constantly in my work field, and my mobile is on/ available to my client 24/7. I'm on it constantly. While these devices are a part of modern life for both young and old, pinball gives me the escape needed.

Side Note - has anyone paid attention to what these "younger generation" are looking/ interacting w on their phones? Shit - everything from streaming, advanced interactive gaming, social media, etc. . Making actual phone calls is almost unheard of.

All for owning a new PL game, original theme or not. Arguable his (2x) best and most recognized pins, TAF and TZ, both have a strong theme (think door is reopening w TZ in TV land, correct? that's how powerful a good theme can be).

#60 4 years ago

DI is cool to play on location, loads of fun, but not a theme I want at home. So it' Wonka for me, but need to see better theme integration and sound improvements.

#61 4 years ago

Seems like a lot of people are hung up on the Phone and Phone Inspired Theme on Dialed In.
Is the phone the highlight of the gameplay and player interaction on DI? No, not even close. Compare it to the experience of shooting the various virtual hurry up mode targets and QTMB targets in the Quantum Theatre? Liking or not liking this “toy” to me should be more of a decision factor then a Phone Scoop. .

It’s the overall package of the theatre, the shots, the flow, the rules, the phone/animations, the magnets, the flipper attack, the story/theme, the moving QED target, the overall lighting/sounds/shaker integration, the quirky dry newsman humor, the endless call outs, the surprise newsticker humor and lot of other things that make DI what it is. I can understand those that may not like it, but the phone is just one thing and it seems to get much more of a weighting factor than it should.

To me the phone is just an advanced generation of a mode start and Multiball Add A Ball scoop. If there was no phone and just a start mode scoop would it be more liked or enjoyable? I don’t think so.

Lots of games have toys etc that are relevant to their time or reminiscent of past times.
If TZ was made (or remade) nowadays I could picture a Slot Machine Toy with a built in Video running above the scoop. I wonder what the thoughts would be there?

Was there this much polarity in the past on other scoop toys like a Piano, a slot Machine, a Snack Bar, a Chair, or just other plain old scoops?

I like to think there are a lot of quirky and nerdy themes in pinball.
What makes a phone lame and a working gumball machine or clock cool?

My opinion on Dialed In and Wonka;

Wonka should do well on location, it will draw people in to play. It may also be a great game for the home and looks to have some very nice game play. That side ramp behind the backboard looks cool. There is some potential with the Wonka Vision but I am not sure if it can live up to the Quantum Theatre. The game will probably appeal to a much broader audience but as designed will be an easier game. Those that like the theme and it’s nostalgia will love having the game at home.

Dialed In; may not be as great a game on location but it’s a great game for those who appreciate more than just a theme. The game play, flow and interaction is outstanding. The game is very very challenging and keeps you coming back which combined with the flow, the toys, the technology, the theme integration and the lighting make it a great game for the home.

I think Dialed In is a special machine. I didn’t know that until I played it.
I can’t say this for Wonka at this point as I haven’t played it; but it could be special too.

Ok ok, when I hit the SIM Card shot and upgrade the Phone, I love it!!!! Maybe it is all about the phone...........................

#62 4 years ago

Mom jeans vs. Wonka???? Have we all lost our minds........Wonka all day long and twice on Sundays!

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Seems like a lot of people are hung up on the Phone and Phone Inspired Theme on Dialed In.
Is the phone the highlight of the gameplay and player interaction on DI? No, not even close. Compare it to the experience of shooting the various virtual hurry up mode targets and QTMB targets in the Quantum Theatre? Liking or not liking this “toy” to me should be more of a decision factor then a Phone Scoop. .
It’s the overall package of the theatre, the shots, the flow, the rules, the phone/animations, the magnets, the flipper attack, the story/theme, the quirky dry newsman humor, the endless call outs, the surprise newsticker humor and lot of other things that make DI what it is. I can understand those that may not like it, but the phone is just one thing and it seems to get much more of a weighting factor than it should.
To me the phone is just an advanced generation of a mode start and Multiball Add A Ball scoop. If there was no phone and just a start mode scoop would it be more liked or enjoyable? I don’t think so.
Lots of games have toys etc that are relevant to their time or reminiscent of past times.
If TZ was made (or remade) nowadays I could picture a Slot Machine Toy with a built in Video running above the scoop. I wonder what the thoughts would be there?
Was there this much polarity in the past on other scoop toys like a Piano, a slot Machine, a Snack Bar, a Chair, or just other plain old scoops?
I like to think there are a lot of quirky and nerdy themes in pinball.
What makes a phone lame and a working gumball machine or clock cool?
My opinion on Dialed In and Wonka;
Wonka should do well on location, it will draw people in to play. It may also be a great game for the home and looks to have some very nice game play. That side ramp behind the backboard looks cool. There is some potential with the Wonka Vision but I am not sure if it can live up to the Quantum Theatre. The game will probably appeal to a much broader audience but as designed will be an easier game. Those that like the theme and it’s nostalgia will love having the game at home.
Dialed In; may not be as great a game on location but it’s a great game for those who appreciate more than just a theme. The game play, flow and interaction is outstanding. The game is very very challenging and keeps you coming back which combined with the flow, the toys, the technology, the theme integration and the lighting make it a great game for the home.
I think Dialed In is a special machine. I didn’t know that until I played it.
I can’t say this for Wonka at this point as I haven’t played it; but it could be special too.
Ok ok, when I hit the SIM Card shot and upgrade the Phone, I love it!!!! Maybe it is all about the phone...........................

I love the game BUT let’s be honest the mom jeans dude is holding up a phone not a quantum theater

#64 4 years ago

I don‘t buy games with licenced themes. My pinball games must be works of original art - not pieces of merchandising.

Wonka looks pretty awesome, though, I might have to make an exception.

#65 4 years ago

Dialed In and Wonka are basically the same game in a lot of ways. After I played it I said its actually 'DIALED IN 2'.

I think Dialed In is better game and I like the theme of Dialed In where some complain about it. With that being said I like the Wonka theme better, with the movie tie in and everything... if I could only buy one!

Dialed In better game good theme, Wonka great theme good game... I would choose Wonka because the theme of Wonka will appeal to mass amounts of people outside the pinside world just like WOZ does.

Most people who buy high end pinballs don't care if its the most fun game ever, theme rules. Ghostbusters makes a ton of money on location, but most people here hate the game itself. Long term I'm going with Wonka.

Wonka is what I would call not a home run on the theming side, but I think that is going to get fixed in the MOD market.

Get a Wonka.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

"dialed in" is a term used constantly in my work field, and my mobile is on/ available to my client 24/7. I'm on it constantly. While these devices are a part of modern life for both young and old, pinball gives me the escape needed.

I understand completely. This was my exact feeling. Then I quit that life sucking f$56king job, bought a Dialed In and started living my life

#67 4 years ago

56 vs 56 right now... than +1 for DI, because as i've said on another topic, from an overall point of view, to me its the best pinball actually on the market

and we'll see how Wonka will be in 6 monthes or 1 year (because yes, all flags seems green for that pin)

#68 4 years ago

I'm going to say it: if you don't like the theme, maybe you're just too old. Some of you old farts insist on their 50 year old bands and movies that anyone over the age of 30 hasn't ever heard of or watched as themes you enjoy. Blah.

Maybe we could do a theme based off of one room school houses. Maybe one about prohabition. Too new for some of you youngsters? I hear the new Alexander Grahm Bell pin is gonna blow people away.

For fuck sake, guys, Dialed in is one of the only pins in quite some time that has an actual up to date theme, and that's a GOOD thing if we want younger generations to be more interested in the hobby. Not fucking Iron Maiden or Beatles or Alf or whatever else comes out next to almost purposely alienate younger audiences.

#69 4 years ago

Too early for sure and have yet to play Wonka. But DI is so great imo.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Funhouse has a mode where you eat hot dogs... Does that mean it's a game about lunch?

How bout a hot dog themed game? Shoot the chili and cheese standups to dress your dog, but hit the ketchup target and game tilts and loses credits. Possible modes - halil, all beef, beef and pork, vietnamese, roadkill, unknown, gutterdawg, dirtywater dog, bratwurst, beerbrat, sausage or hot link. I’ll have ... two all beef dogs grilled with onions and topped with mustard and relish, please. Mmmmmhhh! Cradle balls and all flippers lock in up position for 5 min, allowing player to get a beer and finish his hotdog. Industry first belch detector - restarts game, right where it left off and displays selfie. JJP is bringing the technology.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Dialed In and Wonka are basically the same game in a lot of ways. After I played it I said its actually 'DIALED IN 2'.
I think Dialed In is better game and I like the theme of Dialed In where some complain about it. With that being said I like the Wonka theme better, with the movie tie in and everything... if I could only buy one!
Dialed In better game good theme, Wonka great theme good game... I would choose Wonka because the theme of Wonka will appeal to mass amounts of people outside the pinside world just like WOZ does.
Most people who buy high end pinballs don't care if its the most fun game ever, theme rules. Ghostbusters makes a ton of money on location, but most people here hate the game itself. Long term I'm going with Wonka.
Wonka is what I would call not a home run on the theming side, but I think that is going to get fixed in the MOD market.
Get a Wonka.

DI may arguably be only the second game made that is a complete package, following TZ. The flow is incredible and interaction level with the game is high. What is not to love .... except theme? Couldn’t care less about disasters, phones or mom jeans. For that reason I don’t get the one more game feeling when playing nor is there any desire to buy one, I’ll gladly put a dozen games on one and get my fix for six more months.

Both DI and Wonka have an A+ layout, so all Wonka needs is a bit more code and this A theme pin will become the better choice for your gameroom.

#72 4 years ago

I would much rather have Wonka over DI. But, until Wonka code bakes more - much more, I still put both under WOZ + JJPOTC.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm going to say it: if you don't like the theme, maybe you're just too old. Some of you old farts insist on their 50 year old bands and movies that anyone over the age of 30 hasn't ever heard of or watched as themes you enjoy. Blah.
Maybe we could do a theme based off of one room school houses. Maybe one about prohabition. Too new for some of you youngsters? I hear the new Alexander Grahm Bell pin is gonna blow people away.
For fuck sake, guys, Dialed in is one of the only pins in quite some time that has an actual up to date theme, and that's a GOOD thing if we want younger generations to be more interested in the hobby. Not fucking Iron Maiden or Beatles or Alf or whatever else comes out next to almost purposely alienate younger audiences.

I was with you until alf.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm going to say it: if you don't like the theme, maybe you're just too old.

If you think "the young people" are into cell phone themes then I think you're definitely too old.

It's as hip and relevant as The Emoji Movie. My teen hate watched that at a party with friends, so they could all mock it.

#75 4 years ago

dialed in for now, what a great game. maybe in 2 yrs Wonka will be on the same level. woz was so/so at first, 3 yrs later it was a masterpiece.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I was with you until alf.

Lol. I like Alf, it just strikes me as funny.

#77 4 years ago

Id still take the phone theme over wonka theme, just as bad of theme as woz really, just not for me is all.

Gameplay wise, wonka looks really fun, still think that I'll like DI playing better, but have to try it first you never know!

#78 4 years ago

Di for me, Wonka is a theme that doesn't resonate with me at all.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Id still take the phone theme over wonka theme, just as bad of theme as woz really, just not for me is all.
Gameplay wise, wonka looks really fun, still think that I'll like DI playing better, but have to try it first you never know!

Phone theme over Wonka? Now that's really a stretch.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I own Dialed In. One of the first to get one (brag). I also have played over 50 games on Wonka at MGC.

When I got Dialed In, I played it more than all the games in my collection put together for a year. It is a great shooting pin. But guess what?

Wonka shoots even BETTER. It has more shots too. 3rd flipper ramp shot on DI is a tough shot to make. Sim card is a biotch where you're just shooting theater over and over and trying to ricochet it in off the 3rd flipper b/c there is no direct make for it. Spider makes no sense in the game (b/c they took out an exterminator feature from the backglass display. but it wouldn't have made sense anyway). the disasters are cool. the selfies are funny. code didn't save drones or or spider as far as scoring goes. You want to complete modes and collect cards. Wonka seems like a big improvement here.

Theme integration is better on Wonka. Game is more beautiful in person than pics or videos too. I suggest you get time on both for such a big purchase. You wouldn't go wrong with either game (or Pirates!), but I recommend Wonka. Just like DI reveal, pinsiders lost their minds and then came around after playing it. They will do the same for this game because it's really fun to play.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Mom jeans vs. Wonka???? Have we all lost our minds........Wonka all day long and twice on Sundays!

This isn't necessarily directed at you Mr. Knight but I wonder what all these fashion experts making "Mom jeans" comments wear/look like on a daily basis. Also would you rather some dude with a trucker style hat with a poker straight bill with his pants hanging off his a$$ on the playfield?

Who is the guy anyways? A young Pat?

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

This isn't necessarily directed at you Mr. Knight but I wonder what all these fashion experts making "Mom jeans" comments wear/look like on a daily basis. Also would you rather some dude with a trucker style hat with a poker straight bill with his paints hanging off his a$$ on the playfield?

Believe it or not 80’s mom jeans are all the rage now. I shit you not. I thought I’d never see the day. Get those sans-a belts ready boys.

#83 4 years ago

Dialed In is very fun, but it totally misses the mark on theme and art and that’s why it isn’t more appreciated.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Dialed In is very fun, but it totally misses the mark on theme and art and that’s why it isn’t more appreciated.

That’s funny. I think those are two strengths. But I get it. Pinsiders love their movies, tv shows, and rock bands.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

That’s funny. I think those are two strengths. But I get it. Pinsiders love their movies, tv shows, and rock bands.

Me too.... but it dont hurt that it has a great layout and shoots awesome also..

#86 4 years ago

The thing about DI is, and I’m a DI owner so take this with a grain of salt if you will, slmost all the gripes are about the theme (oh lawdy there’s a cellphone on the playfield!!) or the artwork (mom jeans!!) but very few have bitched about gameplay and that’s why we’re here, yes? I haven’t played Wonka but am looking forward to it because it looks great.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

This isn't necessarily directed at you Mr. Knight but I wonder what all these fashion experts making "Mom jeans" comments wear/look like on a daily basis. Also would you rather some dude with a trucker style hat with a poker straight bill with his pants hanging off his a$$ on the playfield?

I agree. I don’t think the jeans are mom jeans. But it is a guy with jeans and a tucked in shirt holding up a phone.
Not sure what else he should be wearing; maybe they will come out with radcals with him wearing leggings instead.

#88 4 years ago

The game is really funny if you see it. It is poking fun at people. The characters you come across in each mode, the things they say. The entire game in general, the fact that a phone could destroy or save the world. Its great but it seems to me that a lot of people are missing this. Pats probably scratching his head saying, “why don’t people get it?”. I am sure there is a lot there i am missing as well.

But it seems many here need a game that fortifies their manhood. Whatever gets them through the day i guess....

#89 4 years ago

The callouts in DI from the people in the cell phone are hysterical. They remind me alot of MM - those knights crack me up, too. Imagine having a cell phone in MM with images of the knights, damsels and peasants talking. The cell phone would, of course, have to be made of materials suitable for the time - stones, wood, cast iron, window glass.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

We have if we genuinely think either of these are 'great' themes

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Might have been a different result, who knows. It's been talked to death, and can't be changed now. .

It actually can be changed now, if it comes back as Toy Story.

#92 4 years ago

I think hitting the combos on Dialed In is some of the most fun you can have in pinball period. I like the ruleset as well. It's got a lot going on toys/feature wise as well.

I don't love everything about the game, but the good far outweighs the bad in my opinion. I think it's a great game. I have an LE and don't plan on selling it.

That said, I think WW looks more interesting. I think it's one of the best layouts I've ever seen. I'm getting an LE.

It's obviously way too early to pick the better of the two, but if I could only get one, I would wait and play WW and then decide.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

But it seems many here need a game that fortifies their manhood. Whatever gets them through the day i guess....

Specious reasoning. Just because some of us don’t want a game that thematically focuses on a cellphone doesn’t mean that we need the ‘opposite’ - ie a game that fortifies our manhood. Nor does it mean we don’t like original themes. It just means we don’t want a game that thematically focuses on a cellphone.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Phone theme over Wonka? Now that's really a stretch.

Yea I really didnt like the movie as a kid, so the theme is a big turn off for me, I dont love the phone theme, but it doesnt bother me as well, just my preference; alot of guys would be the other way.

#95 4 years ago

While I plan on ordering a Wonka LE or CE, I wish the original themes were more embraced so more would be made.

How many music, movie, and monster theme pins do we “need”?

DI is one of the greatest shooting pins I’ve ever flipped. A great theme like GOT doesn’t mean much if the game isn’t fun.

#96 4 years ago

IF the idea is to entice the younger crowd: There is a thread relative thought here as well so please bare with me.
My 17 year daughter and I spent a couple days at a local pinball joint that has something like 60 plus pins. I was watching her, to see her facial expressions, what shots she'd be more inclined to make, type of theme she'd gravitated towards, what machines she'd revisit to play and any similarities between the titles etc etc.
About my daughter - she is a typical cell phone narcissistic, a complete movie buff and not a pinball wizard.
My take away:
1.) She always gravitated to a theme she recognized - aka movie theme NOT music theme
2.) She tended to play pins longer that that "looked cool" (AKA JJP because of the TV)
3.) She loves dead pool - the pin for her was a failure as it was based off the comic book not the movie (fun factor has zero impact apparently)
4.) She gets confused easily, call outs gave her a better experience. (keep in mind, this is typical for kids. Flashing lights for whatever reason are something that will draw them in but not easily followed.)
5.) She is more prone to replay a machine that makes her "feel good" (aka accomplishes a mode or two). Think arcade games..... Ms Pacman.... you got 3 lives and as a newby it was usually juuuuuust enough for you to get to stage 2. Maybe add a "feature" on route like some video games have. Start menu to select easy or hard mode? Extra ball offered first mode - more ball saves?
6.) She got super stoked when she made the hall of fame (even though it was only the high score of the day lol)

So the psycholgical eval here - want to draw the younger kids in... in order of importance:
1.) Theme/appearance
2.) Reward/accomplishment - THAT is the key not how DEEP a game it is. (IMHO deep is for home not route).

So, as far as did she like DI? That was a hard no. She thought the theme was terrible. She saw the selfie and laughed and said, "wow... that's super dumb."
The game felt brutal - punished for bad shots and on that game the playfield being so crammed bad shots are all too easily punished. Yes that makes you a better player but it removes the accomplishment factor and that's the real point. We live in a society where everyone gets a trophy for participation. And for what it's worth, my sentiments towards DI mirrored my daughter. I hope they don't re skin it and make it toy story.
And Wonka - haven't played it. Looks like a fantastic shooter - but I feel they absolutely missed the mark on the cabinet artwork and the theme on it's own won't likely resonate well with the young. Like curb appeal on a house, if you don't have it you won't get people inside to look at it

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Specious reasoning. Just because some of us don’t want a game that thematically focuses on a cellphone doesn’t mean that we need the ‘opposite’ - ie a game that fortifies our manhood. Nor does it mean we don’t like original themes. It just means we don’t want a game that thematically focuses on a cellphone.

Maybe so for some. There are those here making comments that suggest otherwise though.

#98 4 years ago

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/this-week-in-pinball-podcast-episode-43-with-jason-fowler/

Start it at 28 mins in if you want to hear a DI vs Wonka conversation. It lasts a few minutes. They are echoing my sentiments that I've recently shared on this topic and Wonka in general. Definitely worth a listen.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you think "the young people" are into cell phone themes then I think you're definitely too old.
It's as hip and relevant as The Emoji Movie. My teen hate watched that at a party with friends, so they could all mock it.

They still consumed it.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

...The game felt brutal - punished for bad shots and on that game the playfield being so crammed bad shots are all too easily punished...

are you sure you're talking about DI !?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,600 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-vs-di/page/2?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.