42%
  • Dialed In 182 votes
    58%

(313 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200514_122814 (resized).jpg
207973F8-45D1-4AD7-95AE-15865C64D525 (resized).jpeg

There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

So I was 100% set on a Wonka and then the reveal...

I still don't like the cell phone theme of DI (I know it's a disaster theme) but it's growing on me the more I play it and I sort of feel it's more innovative than Wonka. I still need to play Wonka, and it's sort of unfair to compare the 2 since Wonka is not 100% finished ...

But what are initial thoughts of those that have flipped both?

#2 4 years ago

It is not a cell phone theme. It is a tool used to help progress through the game.

#3 4 years ago

Both are very different from a rules and layout standpoint. The lighting on di is great but wonka is even more impressive. Both pins flow great and have lots to do but Wonka has more shots and flippers and 2 ball locks. I'm excited to have both in my collection .
Can't go wrong with eaither choice imo...

#4 4 years ago

I vote Wonka.

#5 4 years ago

Wonka looks like a more interesting layout and I don't hate the theme, I just don't think it's been integrated all that well as far as art and sound. I'd like to see which direction the code goes in for Wonka, but for now Dialed In wins it for me.

#6 4 years ago

Right now I'm not super impressed with the theme integration with Wonka or the rules. There's a lot of video clips in Wonka but you only see the actors faces and not their voices a majority of the time which I don't understand. Dialed In comes across as a much more cohesive package as everything had to be custom designed from the ground up. I would also argue that Dialed In has more in it compared to any of the Wonka models.

I'm in a wait and see pattern until Wonka code is more complete which I'm sure will improve as JJP delivers on code. Currently the ruleset appears to be a bit simpler compared to past JJP pins, especially Dialed In. There's I believe 4 main modes (the factory modes), 4-5 multiballs, 1 mini wizard mode, and the main wizard mode "Pure Imagination". There's not enough main modes in my opinion and some of the multiballs felt very generic (Kid and Slugworth multiball). I'm also bummed there doesn't appear to be reward system for completing modes such as the SIM card collect feature in Dialed In which I think really helps give that game legs.

#7 4 years ago

Wonka is pretty early code to be compared against anything . Layout and shots seem good , my only complaint would be the way the upper flipper is fed from the right as it is a little tough at times to see when it’s coming . Minor complaint though it could easily be solved with audio (something like TZ where it plays a tune as it is coming to that upper flipper ) I put about 10 games on Wonka at MGC , it doesn’t do much for me at this point I’m sure it will get better as the code progresses . At this point I would go with Dialed In . Ask the same question this time next year and I might have a different answer , I think it will be a more fair comparison by then .

#8 4 years ago

I have played both extensively. I have both on my wishlist. But can only buy one right now, and Wonka wins out. Once we see final code and polish, I bet the gap will widen.

#9 4 years ago

So I have the same question about this - Only played DI a few times but loved it outside of the Female voice just grated my nerves a tad but not terrible. What I like about the idea of DI is you can get the LE for the SE price, wait a year or two and then flip and get Wonka once code is done. I have seen tons of hate about DI what is wrong with the game, I have read code is not done, or does it just get tired feeling in a home environment?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

So I have the same question about this - Only played DI a few times but loved it outside of the Female voice just grated my nerves a tad but not terrible. What I like about the idea of DI is you can get the LE for the SE price, wait a year or two and then flip and get Wonka once code is done. I have seen tons of hate about DI what is wrong with the game, I have read code is not done, or does it just get tired feeling in a home environment?

Code is complete. Nothing not to love about the game, it’s packed. Somewhat linear progression. Main complaint from the haters is the theme, personally I like the disaster theme. Btw, that female voice, Mandy, is Lawlors wife.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Code is complete. Nothing not to love about the game, it’s packed. Somewhat linear progression. Main complaint from the haters is the theme, personally I like the disaster theme. Btw, that female voice, Mandy, is Lawlors wife.

Hmmm how linear is the game, I enjoy roadshow but would pass on it because of that, same with GB, but ifs you can start one of 4 modes each time and progress it like IJ Stern or something to that nature nothing to worry about. Also is this the game where in one of the disaster modes the flippers studded or was that POTC had a JJ a thon and can't remember what game had what at this point.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is not a cell phone theme. It is a tool used to help progress through the game.

It has selfy mode the game is about a phone

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Just a side feature in the game.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Hmmm how linear is the game, I enjoy roadshow but would pass on it because of that, same with GB, but ifs you can start one of 4 modes each time and progress it like IJ Stern or something to that nature nothing to worry about. Also is this the game where in one of the disaster modes the flippers studded or was that POTC had a JJ a thon and can't remember what game had what at this point.

It's a mode based game, but the mode played is not linear. If you think about TZ, there are a slew of modes randomized by pop bumpers, slings etc. With DI, it is similar in that the modes can be randomized, but are also selectable by flipper presses. It's not linear in the vein of Roadshow or GB where you HAVE to play the first mode each and every game.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

You don’t have to do the modes in a progressive order like Roadshow.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's a mode based game, but the mode played is not linear. If you think about TZ, there are a slew of modes randomized by pop bumpers, slings etc. With DI, it is similar in that the modes can be randomized, but are also selectable by flipper presses. It's not linear in the vein of Roadshow or GB where you HAVE to play the first mode each and every game.

Sorry, I meant linear in the sense you have to go through the modes, but not in the same way as GB where it’s the same line every game. DI has some really cool diversions along the way, lottery ticket frenzy, I hate emojis, monkey wrench mb, quantum theater mb and others.

#17 4 years ago

I like DI, especially with the selfie mode and when you get attacks that disable your flipper.. never seen that on any other game before.

#18 4 years ago

Di is JJP best game in my opinion, I have a POTC too. I played it last nite after sitting for a few weeks. Its a blast . The theatre is a great toy with so many possibilities to add playable to the game. I am interested in Wonka, I am waiting to see how the code and sound package develops before I would get one. Watching the stream I wasn't that impressed....So time will tell

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Sorry, I meant linear in the sense you have to go through the modes, but not in the same way as GB where it’s the same line every game. DI has some really cool diversions along the way, lottery ticket frenzy, I hate emojis, monkey wrench mb, quantum theater mb and others.

I used the other MBs to help me collect SIM cards, which is the main goal in the game. My best has been 5, and oddly enough, even though I have them to carry over ball to ball, I've collected each card in their respective ball that I've qualified them. That felt pretty good

In response to the OP, I'm waiting for Wonka code to develop further, but the game shoots nicely. As mentioned by trilogybeer the upper right flipper area is a little crowded and I had a difficult time seeing the ball when it was up there to make shots, unless I leaned purposefully to look for the shot. It's definitely a game I have on my radar, and with Joe working on code, I don't have any doubts that the game will be as robust as other JJP games. I am looking to own both at some point, since DI is such a great game overall.

#20 4 years ago

Ok. I need to chime in. I’ve heard this so many times.
Dialed In is not a game based on a phone! Dialed In is a disaster city theme. The phone on the playfield is simply a cool LCD screen used to start the disaster modes and it also adds a few unique features that are different than any other game. Yes it has an emoji mode, yes it has a selfie mode, but those are just side modes. Dialed in as a fantastic, excellent shooting, beautifully packaged game. The lighting is amazing, audio is amazing, use of magnets is cool, quantum theater is cool, it’s just an awesome game. Excellent coding too. It gets a lot of hate because people see the phone and can’t get past it.

Honestly within the first few seconds of seeing the Wonka reveal I was thinking it reminded me of Dialed In. I’m sure it will shoot well and sound awesome too. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

#21 4 years ago

i've played both quite a bit. as I do like dialed in (it's good, not great). I think once more code is introduced to wonka. It will be better. Just depends if they end up going too complex like they did with hobbit and pirates. There is a fine line between deep, and overly deep and you lose the fun factor.

#22 4 years ago

I suppose you think emoji mode is pert of a disaster game lol

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I dunno, that mode is kind of a disaster in my opinion

#24 4 years ago

Dialed In is cell phone themed. And I still like it.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Btw, that female voice, Mandy, is Lawlors wife.

This is kind of neat. There's so many little hidden Easter eggs and tributes to great pins in the 90's in it, too. It really does feel like a quirky unlicensed game from the B/W era that's brought up to today's technology.

I've tried to compile a list to all the references to other games if anyone is interested.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-in-game-references-to-older-bally-williams-games

#26 4 years ago

My DI is definitely the best built machine in my collection. Its like quality made. My Alien is next. JJP does a good job with quality thats for sure.

#27 4 years ago

I'd have to play Wonka first...but so far I'm just not that interested in it, but I wasn't really interested in DI until I played some games on it and found I love it.

And the cell phone is just a toy of the game, it is not 'the theme'. Those that say it is haven't played it (I thought it was a game about cell phones too until I played it). And if you have played it and think that get off the drugs.

#28 4 years ago

I'll have to play Wonka. I just read the rules and it seems like A LOT to take in and figure out. But that usually becomes a lot clearer after a few dozen plays.

I love DI and POTC for that reason. Very straightforward rules and easy to figure out. We'll see if Wonka follows those or more like WOZ, which I don't feel is very intuitive for a new player.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'd have to play Wonka first...but so far I'm just not that interested in it, but I wasn't really interested in DI until I played some games on it and found I love it.
And the cell phone is just a toy of the game, it is not 'the theme'. Those that say it is haven't played it (I thought it was a game about cell phones too until I played it). And if you have played it and think that get off the drugs.

It really should have been called chaos in quantum city. Dialed in and the cell phone was just not good from a marketing perspective.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Ok. I need to chime in. I’ve heard this so many times.
Dialed In is not a game based on a phone! Dialed In is a disaster city theme. The phone on the playfield is simply a cool LCD screen used to start the disaster modes and it also adds a few unique features that are different than any other game. Yes it has an emoji mode, yes it has a selfie mode, but those are just side modes. Dialed in as a fantastic, excellent shooting, beautifully packaged game. The lighting is amazing, audio is amazing, use of magnets is cool, quantum theater is cool, it’s just an awesome game. Excellent coding too. It gets a lot of hate because people see the phone and can’t get past it.
Honestly within the first few seconds of seeing the Wonka reveal I was thinking it reminded me of Dialed In. I’m sure it will shoot well and sound awesome too. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Well then this is a fail on theming/branding from JJP - most people look at it, read the title, see the guy holding the phone -> and think cell phone game.
With a name change and a few minor graphical changes this could of been avoided and people would not have to constantly explain the theme.

With that being said, I am slowly coming around to liking this game a lot

#31 4 years ago

I had a small tournament at my house last weekend, and it was the first time a lot of my non-pinhead friends played Dialed In. After playing for the evening, most of them made comments to me about how Dialed In reminded them of Sim City. So while the phone is definitely an element of the game, I think once you play it you realize it is more about city destruction than about the phone.

Haven't played Wonka yet, but I voted for Dialed In. I love the game, it's fun to shoot, and the toys in Dialed In seem more fun and unique than Wonka. I look forward to playing Wonka...looks really fun to shoot. Who knows, maybe after playing it I will change my mind (but I doubt it).

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Nope. Still hats off to the designers for putting it into the game. The idea was to "capture" the next young generation of players.

Breakout is in STTNG, so tell me what does that have to do with that game/theme?

#33 4 years ago

Dialed In is clearly an awesome game. And of course the intent was to make it a sci fi disaster theme.

BUT to deny that it comes across as a game about a cell phone much more than disasters is delusional. The artwork on the playfield, the artwork on the cabinet, the main eye-catching toy, the ability to actually play the game thru your phone (!), the ‘side’ quests of selfie mode and emoji mode that are so easy to start they occur in most games, the camera that takes pics of you, even the very title of the game itself all lend itself to a theme about cell phones. It’s ok to love the game but let’s call a spade a spade.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Funhouse has a mode where you eat hot dogs... Does that mean it's a game about lunch?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Funhouse has a mode where you eat hot dogs... Does that mean it's a game about lunch?

No. Because it has ~1 thing about hot dogs rather than ~8 things about cell phones, such as the main toy and centerpiece of the playfield and cabinet artwork.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

MM has a catapult mech. I think they should change the name to Trebuchet.

#37 4 years ago

Own it and love it but it is a cell phone game. The story is about you gaining access to a cell phone that causes disasters. Not sure why people keep denying this. Doesn’t make it any less enjoyable.

#38 4 years ago

...and I think Dialed In is the perfect name for it.

#39 4 years ago

DI as code is complete and bugs have been worked out. It’s also a blast to play.

What are the odds DI is re themed in the future? I love the pin as is but I wouldn’t be shocked to see JJP use the same layout with a theme more embraced by the masses. Jack hasn’t ruled it out so anything is possible.

#40 4 years ago

Well I have made up my mind going with DI - then Wonka in a few years when I can buy on the secondary market... Thanks for the info on the code group.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Well I have made up my mind going with DI - then Wonka in a few years when I can buy on the secondary market... Thanks for the info on the code group.

This is a good move. Let Wonka mature, then trade up if that's what you want to do.

I only bought a Dialed In because it was a good deal at the time. I had reservations about the theme and figured I can re-sell it with no/minimal loss if I didn't like it.

I was wrong. The theme grew on me and it's my favorite (and most played) game in my collection!

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Good call. Enjoy your new phone.

I quack myself up.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

No becuase it's not called Eating in, there is no molded hot dog on the playfield, and no picture of a guy holding up a hotdog to the sky

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

starting to feel the same way...

#45 4 years ago

Unbelievable what people argue about here. Hotdogs and cell phones... So what if DI is a cell phone theme or not? Does that change how it plays? Is it impossible to enjoy gameplay if you think it's about a cell phone? Sucks to be you if you ignore great games because of cab art, title, or what some parts of the playfield look like. Wonka looks like it has plenty to complain about for fans of the movie or if you just hate that it's about candy. Still looks like a pretty fun game. Don't really think either is worth the high prices but keeping an eye on the used market.

#46 4 years ago

Between the two: Wonka.

Not a DI Fan. Don't care for the MEH cell phone/disaster/whatever theme - the game has repeatedly failed to excite me.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

No becuase it's not called Eating in, there is no molded hot dog on the playfield, and no picture of a guy holding up a hotdog to the sky

You are not alone. I totally get it.
Plenty of people think of it as a cell phone theme. The name is Dialed In. It has a guy holding up a phone in the art. It has a big phone on the Playfield.

Watch any commercial with the sound off and you can see what the ad is about. Look at Dialed In and you see a Phone. This is not complex Algebra or subtle Psychology.

Yes, of course, it’s obviously a disaster theme when you take a minute to see it. Still, it has a big portion of phone in it!

Aside from all that, I love Dialed In. It’s a really great game. I would love to own both some day. For now, I’m hoping to get Wonka first.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Hotdogs and amusement parks go hand and hand

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

MM has a catapult mech. I think they should change the name to Trebuchet.

You really don't see how castles and catapults go together

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You really don't see how castles and catapults go together

It was a joke lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 91.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 32.99
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Satellite Beach, FL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods
Plastics
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 226 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-vs-di and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.