You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190820_182156 (resized).jpg
20190820_182149 (resized).jpg
20190820_183633 (resized).jpg
E579C892-8834-4921-B624-1E6D01D7EF2B (resized).jpeg
WONKA Features Matrix-1 (resized).png

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

JJP dropped the price of its SE to $7500 ... game play looks to be basically the same with the exception of the Wonkavador ball lock. I LOVE the game and will buy one of them very soon!!!

With that said ... 2k more for LE ... What say you?

#2 4 years ago

I would say either way you are going to love the game. I own the SE and I am more than happy with it. I like the fact that the Wonkavator is a virtual lock that does not stop the flow on the upper ramp on the SE. I also like the black rails and I am glad they put some art on the back panel which was not on the prototypes that I played at the Midwest Gaming Classic...

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

JJP dropped the price of its SE to $7500 ... game play looks to be basically the same with the exception of the Wonkavador ball lock. I LOVE the game and will buy one of them very soon!!!
With that said ... 2k more for LE ... What say you?

I opted for SE,because of budget restraints. I would’ve preferred LE because the artwork is better and the Wonkanator.But the SE definitely is a blast and everybody is loving it at my house

#4 4 years ago

Se is a good buy this day in age.. however i love the extra lock and all the other upgrades/extras so le for me ...especially in my home. If this was for route or just to play for a few months than se wld b ok but i plan to keep.it for a long time so i want the best one in my home.

#5 4 years ago

I would save the money and get the SE game play is pretty much the same Wonkavator doesn't change much. If you don't care about spending the money get the LE the powder coat is also the cab art is nice.

#6 4 years ago

I went SE and am really happy with it. Usually the gap on jjp games is $1k, $2k seemed like a lot for the wonkavator and other things that I could get later if I wanted like shaker. I'm not much into art so didnt care what the cabinet looked like, but SE decals are really nice.

#7 4 years ago

I would probably go SE and pocket 2k plus tax.

#8 4 years ago

In the past it was easy for me to justify the extra $1k for JJP's LE's.....with Wonka its really difficult with the $2K price difference to justify LE....for less than $600 (glass, shaker, exterior volume) u can essentially get the LE without the wonkavator and powder coating....

#9 4 years ago

Neither till the playfields stop bubbling. I saw a new ww and the clearcoat was doing the same lifting as my pirates.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

JJP dropped the price of its SE to $7500 ...

That isn't a new drop it was always that price, but anyway, just like DI absoultuly not worth it.

#11 4 years ago

While $2,000 is a big jump up in price I think the extras along w a better art package make the LE the way to go.

#12 4 years ago

Do you buy “Great Value” products when you go to Walmart, Do you buy Faygo soda? Do you get cloth seats in your vehicle? Then maybe you are a standard edition kinda guy.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

Do you buy “Great Value” products when you go to Walmart...Then maybe you are a standard edition kinda guy.

That's funny...you shop at Walmart.

#14 4 years ago

Compare what you all get extra on the LE. See if it's worth it to you.

Either one is a great game.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : I am a fan of the Wonkavator.

WONKA Features Matrix-1 (resized).pngWONKA Features Matrix-1 (resized).png
#15 4 years ago

Oh I didn't know they went away from stainless legs...that's a shame.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh I didn't know they went away from stainless legs...that's a shame.

Are powder coated legs cheaper than stainless??
I think its a push.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Are powder coated legs cheaper than stainless??
I think its a push.

I always assumed the way people deepthroat powder legs they had to be 10X the price.
I just appreciate the aesthetic of stainless....Stern's got the black thing going which is fine.

#18 4 years ago

I plan to get a Wonka SE and put $2k of upgrades into it. Should be nicer than the LE because upgraded cabinet decals are not worth much on Wonka. CE cabinet art and red hardware look spectacular, but too big a jump in price for me.

#19 4 years ago

To me the 2k difference was not worth it. I added a shaker motor for $150. Don't need invisiglass, and I like the gameplay without the physical lock. Wonka is an amazing game and the SE is head and shoulders over anything I've played by other companies in a long time.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That isn't a new drop it was always that price, but anyway, just like DI absoultuly not worth it.

True that Wonka SE was always 7500 from launch. However, SEs of their previous machine (Pirates) was only 1k difference and an 8500 price point for SE. Dialed In SE was 8000 with LE being 9000. So from comparison to the last pinball machine, the SE is a price cut. I believe that is what he meant.
E579C892-8834-4921-B624-1E6D01D7EF2B (resized).jpegE579C892-8834-4921-B624-1E6D01D7EF2B (resized).jpeg

#21 4 years ago

Starting to think I can make an SE better than an LE with the extra 2k ..... if the Wonkavador is the only thing I can’t add on my own and the flow stays better ....hmm

#22 4 years ago

I bought the se because I wanted it on the route a.s.a.p. I figured I can route it, make some cash, still sell it for a chunk of change, and then buy an le if I still want it.

#23 4 years ago

I'd wait till you start seeing resale of Wonka LE's around $7500...

#24 4 years ago

Good question. I hope to see and play them side by side in 2 months at Expo.

#25 4 years ago

SE with stainless (like Dialed In) would be my preferred look, but SE is my likely choice for Wonka. I’m still looking forward to playing it.

#26 4 years ago

I’d wait if I were you.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

Neither till the playfields stop bubbling. I saw a new ww and the clearcoat was doing the same lifting as my pirates.

Wtf

#28 4 years ago

Q: WW SE or LE
A: DI

#29 4 years ago

I am no longer planning on getting a WW due to there being so many other games I don't have yet that I enjoy more, but for me, the LE would have been a no-brainer. Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka is one of my favorite movie characters of all time and seeing him in the artwork was a must for me. I'm happy to see so many people loving the game posting here...maybe someday I'll be back on the hunt for an LE.

#30 4 years ago

I recently bought an LE and have no regrets. Having Gene Wilder adds to the art package, and the sparkle blue rails / wireforms are really nice looking. To me, physical Wonkavator makes it pretty rewarding to lock the ball and/or or to start Wonkavator multiball (or in some cases have it stolen from me). I think its great that the SE has virtual locks, keeping gameplay largely consistent across the SE and LE versions. (As an aside, does anyone know are the Wonkavator virtual locks displayed any differently on the SE's display vs the LE?)

If you go with the SE, I would definitely recommend you add a shaker motor. It's clear that JJP spent time getting the shaker effects right. They really add to the atmosphere of the game. Not jarring or startling at all - more of a smooth rumble that is well-integrated with different modes.

Good luck!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from broada:

I recently bought an LE and have no regrets. Having Gene Wilder adds to the art package, and the sparkle blue rails / wireforms are really nice looking. To me, physical Wonkavator makes it pretty rewarding to lock the ball and/or or to start Wonkavator multiball (or in some cases have it stolen from me). I think its great that the SE has virtual locks, keeping gameplay largely consistent across the SE and LE versions. (As an aside, does anyone know are the Wonkavator virtual locks displayed any differently on the SE's display vs the LE?)
If you go with the SE, I would definitely recommend you add a shaker motor. It's clear that JJP spent time getting the shaker effects right. They really add to the atmosphere of the game. Not jarring or startling at all - more of a smooth rumble that is well-integrated with different modes.
Good luck!

I love how JJP integrates their shakers.. very smooth. Whereas I find Stern's shaker to be crazy abrupt and almost violent.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from broada:

Good luck!

Wonkatania Mania is particularly great with the shaker motor. You can feel the rowing.

#33 4 years ago

Wonka SE owner and very happy with the SE. Played the SE & LE. I can live without the ball lock.

#34 4 years ago

I can’t believe the question hasn’t been asked - with such a price difference, which is more important to you?

1) A physical ball lock and some bling
2) An second $2k game like T2 or many other options.

To me, with the space, option 2 sounds a lot more enticing, especially in a growing collection.

#35 4 years ago

Yep, even with the "fixed" star posts, it was bubbling around the outside of the posts.

It's not limited to the posts either, basically any point of contact of part to clearcoat will likely bubble and pull away.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

I love how JJP integrates their shakers.. very smooth. Whereas I find Stern's shaker to be crazy abrupt and almost violent.

My LotR from Stern is very smooth, but my Star Wars is really loud and abrupt. Somewhere along the lines they lost their way with the shakers It's certainly very smooth in Wonka.

#37 4 years ago

All this talk of shaker motors, I may need to shake a few bucks out and get one.

#38 4 years ago

Shaker motor is a must have, so plan on adding that to an SE for $200-$300ish. Otherwise your looking at $300 invisiglass, ball lock which i’ll guess at $500, which includes some nice lighting. Blue sparkle package and artwork is a nice upgrade. Headphone and volume control is maybe $200ish. I figure just hardware alone your looking at $1,200+ and the art package and resale value. My opinion is that the LE is worth the price IF the buyer has the money to spend. Otherwise buy the SE and add the shaker & maybe some lighting in the back corner when funds are available and enjoy the hell out of it either way.

Very good machine!!!

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Teknotoyz:

Shaker motor is a must have, so plan on adding that to an SE for $200-$300ish. Otherwise your looking at $300 invisiglass, ball lock which i’ll guess at $500, which includes some nice lighting. Blue sparkle package and artwork is a nice upgrade. Headphone and volume control is maybe $200ish. I figure just hardware alone your looking at $1,200+ and the art package and resale value. My opinion is that the LE is worth the price IF the buyer has the money to spend. Otherwise buy the SE and add the shaker & maybe some lighting in the back corner when funds are available and enjoy the hell out of it either way.
Very good machine!!!

Shaker motor costs $150 from Pinball Life. Worth every penny. You can buy it direct from JJP too, but their shipping costs are ridiculous.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

Shaker motor costs $150 from Pinball Life. Worth every penny. You can buy it direct from JJP too, but their shipping costs are ridiculous.

Or you can buy the PBL $79 Spike shaker, cut off the stock power connector and install a 0.093 molex connector. Works perfectly.

I don't really need invisiglass. $80 for the shaker, so it comes down to $1920 for the physical lock and powder coating, both of which are really cool! In the end, too rich for my blood. SE for me.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Or you can buy the PBL $79 Spike shaker, cut off the stock power connector and install a 0.093 molex connector. Works perfectly.
I don't really need invisiglass. $80 for the shaker, so it comes down to $1920 for the physical lock and powder coating, both of which are really cool! In the end, too rich for my blood. SE for me.

Is this right, I didn’t know that. Same power draw? Thanks for posting. Will a regular stern motor work?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

They used to be reasonable.....the last time I looked they were completely out of whack...

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Is this right, I didn’t know that. Same power draw? Thanks for posting. Will a regular stern motor work?

Yep, I've had the spike version of PBL's shaker in my Wonka since day one. They all use the same replacement motor so that convinced me it was safe, the power draw is compatible and to give it a try.

https://www.pinballlife.com/replacement-motor-for-stern-shaker-kits.html

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

They used to be reasonable.....the last time I looked they were completely out of whack...

Seriously, I tried to buy a hat from them and they quoted me $23 in shipping fees. For a hat.

#45 4 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is that Wonka LE has a high quality metallic type finish powder coat. This type of power coat is of higher quality then the baked on enamel look used on Dialed In LE and the rather cheap looking BBQ black paint finish on Pirates LE. I would value the Wonka LE powder coat at $300 - $400 (includes wireforms), add another $300 for the invisiglass, $150 for the shaker motor, add another $50 (at least) for the external volume control and that's $800 right there. Price difference at that point between the SE and LE is $1100 - $1200. That's still a good chunk of change but something to consider.

Here's a video showing the Wonka SE and LE Wonkavator area. The Wonkavator is a cool toy but I wish it would have featured detailed 3D molds versus being mostly pieces of clear plastic and bare metal. The SE area does seem bare though after looking at the LE, especially when the Wonkavator toy lights up.

Another close up video

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One thing to keep in mind is that Wonka LE has a high quality metallic type finish powder coat. This type of power coat is of higher quality then the baked on enamel look used on Dialed In LE and the rather cheap looking BBQ black paint finish on Pirates LE. I would value the Wonka LE powder coat at $300 - $400 (includes wireforms), add another $300 for the invisiglass, $150 for the shaker motor, add another $50 (at least) for the external volume control and that's $800 right there. Price difference at that point between the SE and LE is $1100 - $1200. That's still a good chunk of change but something to consider.

Powder is $150. Any wheel coating/repair shop can do powder for pretty cheap, usually $10 per part plus another $20-30 for the powder. The shakers are $79 plus shipping as stated by someone else earlier, you just need to change the stern connector. It’s too much of a difference between the le and the se IMO. I am usually an LE buyer for jjp games, but not on this one. I appreciate they offered a nice game at 7500.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Powder is $150. Any wheel coating/repair shop can do powder for pretty cheap, usually $10 per part plus another $20-30 for the powder. The shakers are $79 plus shipping as stated by someone else earlier, you just need to change the stern connector. It’s too much of a difference between the le and the se IMO. I am usually an LE buyer for jjp games, but not on this one. I appreciate they offered a nice game at 7500.

For those prices prices though the powder will likely be the cheap baked on enamel look versus the high quality metallic glossy finish Wonka LE has.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Dialed In is absolutely worth the money,you never owned it because if you did you would love it!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For those prices prices though the powder will likely be the cheap baked on enamel look versus the high quality metallic glossy finish Wonka LE has.

The place I go to uses prismatic powder, they can’t do superchroma, but they can do metallic flake. I mainly have them do colors from the prismatic illusion series, which are high gloss with flake. I think they do put the parts in the oven. I’ve been very happy with results.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

wish I could find a local shop that could powder coat for $10/part + powder.....whenever I've looked at doing it the costs have been $300-400 + shipping (from guys who market on pinside) .... happy to hear JJP didn't cheap out on the powder coating for Wonka....POTC LE looks pretty crappy

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Satellite Beach, FL
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-se-vs-le-2k-gtgt-which-say-u- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.