(Topic ID: 252619)

Wonka Review......It’s time to eat my words!!

By thedarkknight77

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00339EE2-8FDF-4651-96D9-8266D20FABD5.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago

Well done! Great Review!

Kaneda’s a fine podcaster but his taste in games is highly questionable. Even when he decides something he’ll likely change his mind. Like many, he’s a one issue voter. He gets an idea in his head- it may even be a good one sometimes - and rides that fucker into the ground. Missing anything else that might counter or override his stubborn opinion.

Star Wars is fun as hell, with one of the best rulesets and theme integration (and ASSETS) in pinball, but the tie fighter on a spring and no other toys stuck in Kaneda’s craw. He can’t get over it, and is therefore missing a terrific game.

Same with Ghostbusters. And Dialed In. And Pirates. And BKSoR. He’s myopic, and often misses the bigger picture. These games are all really fun!

I have no doubt that Wonka is a blast. I can’t wait to play one (at least 50 times!) and I’ll probably own one someday. Glad you dig it, and actually took the time to understand it’s charms. People who think they really know a game with less than 50-100 plays are missing out on a lot of good pinball.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

judge dredd really is a great value. It's no where near A class of pinball but that's a lot of pin for the money.
This game? 50 times to realize it's actually not that bad and having to ignore critical components like music and effects......for a pinball game.....is in itself a complete failure. I'm glad the game is still making the same people happy who loved it since day 1 but on the flip side, it continues to be such a fail for me after playing it many times. I still shake my head considering what it could have been.

Really, 50 whole times? That’s a lot? I play my games hundreds of times. Maybe over a thousand if I really like them. 50 games is nothing. And yet you might change your mind about a game 2 of 3 times in those 50 plays. “Critical components” can become less important as other aspects of a game take on more importance.

I know I don’t really care for Munsters right now. I’ve played it about 15-20 times. How the hell can I really know? I know right now I don’t like it, but in another 20-30 plays I might change my mind. I’ve played Wonka even less. Not impressed. But I haven’t discovered it’s charms now have I? I haven’t played it enough.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

The issue is I don't want to play it 50 times. It's boring.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 32.99
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-reviewits-time-to-eat-my-words?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.