(Topic ID: 252619)

Wonka Review......It’s time to eat my words!!

By thedarkknight77

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

00339EE2-8FDF-4651-96D9-8266D20FABD5.gif

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I love the Wonka movie like many of you and I was super excited to hear a game was going to be made. My first thought was, “This game will be like WOZ, only with the magic of Willy Wonka and Pat Lawlor........Amazing, How could they screw this up???”. It seemed like the game had so much going for it......I was singing the Candyman song for 3 weeks straight, no lie I had my mother, aunt and 93 year old grandmother in a car singing along with me! This game was going to cure cancer and wipe out the national debt! Fast forward to when video started to emerge and my boy Kaneda started to back pedal........”This cannot be”, I thought. “This game was going to be the greatest game ever created?”. “I know this to be true because Jack mixes it with love and makes the world taste good”. But unfortunately the game fell from the pinball heavens like a sack of WWE pinball poop! There was no Candyman to be found in this game, not even his distant cousin. I was pissed, “how the @#%* could Jack screw up another game??”. On top of that, in walks the playfield issues.......Are you kidding me???
Fast forward to several weeks ago, when a fellow New Englander was selling an SE with pooling around the posts for $6700. I decided that if the game dropped to $6500 I would buy it........and it eventually did, so I bought it. I am like many of you and I try to own each game at some point even if I think it will suck........I have been wrong so many times that I don’t fully trust my first impressions about games, even though I am not shy about announcing them. Anyway, I picked up the game, set it up and immediately started to play. My first thought was, “Damn, this game really does suck, it’s so slow and the flippers are so weak!!”. I Played about 20 games and was already thinking about selling it. I texted my buddy who had an SE and started to bitch to him, “This game sucks!”. He loved his Wonka and kept telling me to shut up and text him when I got to 50 games........”Bull shit!”, I said. Well I finally got to 50 and that punk was right. I cranked up the coil strength on the flippers and pop bumpers and all of the sudden the game started flowing like a hurricane. In fact, it was flowing so fast I was getting air balls off the right ramp. Thankfully JJP sent me the fix in 2 days.....and the problem was solved! Anyway, I was starting to really enjoy this game and it’s super fast flow. That being said, I still hated the music, sounds and callouts....”Who is this loser they hired??. “He sounds like a kindergarten teacher giving instructions to a child, I am a 44 year old man and I don’t want to hear some prick talking to me like I am a 5 year old”.
Well After a week of ownership, I passed 125 games played and my brain began to focus on the incredible flow, amazing light show and beautiful playfield art and less on the loser narrator reminding me the Candyman was dead. The distractions of the numerous sounds subsided and all I could hear was, “I’ve got a golden ticket!”.......which brought me back to my childhood. This game was winning me over. Now, after a few weeks of ownership, I am fully converted and really enjoying this game. Is it perfect?, heck no, could it have been better?, damn right, but is it really good?, yup! Now that I am keeping it, I am excited to unlock the code and find out all the new things to uncover. This game is a keeper and it will be in my collection for a while. I WAS WRONG ABOUT WILLY WONKA!! I can honestly recommend this game, providing you crank up the coil strength. Thedarkknight77

#2 4 years ago

I've turned up the slings on Im, how DJ o you strengthen the flippers? I'm on max now, still not happy

#3 4 years ago

Well done! Great Review!

Kaneda’s a fine podcaster but his taste in games is highly questionable. Even when he decides something he’ll likely change his mind. Like many, he’s a one issue voter. He gets an idea in his head- it may even be a good one sometimes - and rides that fucker into the ground. Missing anything else that might counter or override his stubborn opinion.

Star Wars is fun as hell, with one of the best rulesets and theme integration (and ASSETS) in pinball, but the tie fighter on a spring and no other toys stuck in Kaneda’s craw. He can’t get over it, and is therefore missing a terrific game.

Same with Ghostbusters. And Dialed In. And Pirates. And BKSoR. He’s myopic, and often misses the bigger picture. These games are all really fun!

I have no doubt that Wonka is a blast. I can’t wait to play one (at least 50 times!) and I’ll probably own one someday. Glad you dig it, and actually took the time to understand it’s charms. People who think they really know a game with less than 50-100 plays are missing out on a lot of good pinball.

#4 4 years ago

How do you

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I love the Wonka movie like many of you and I was super excited to hear a game was going to be made. My first thought was, “This game will be like WOZ, only with the magic of Willy Wonka and Pat Lawlor........Amazing, How could they screw this up???”. It seemed like the game had so much going for it......I was singing the Candyman song for 3 weeks straight, no lie I had my mother, aunt and 93 year old grandmother in a car singing along with me! This game was going to cure cancer and wipe out the national debt! Fast forward to when video started to emerge and my boy Kaneda started to back pedal........”This cannot be”, I thought. “This game was going to be the greatest game ever created?”. “I know this to be true because Jack mixes it with love and makes the world taste good”. But unfortunately the game fell from the pinball heavens like a sack of WWE pinball poop! There was no Candyman to be found in this game, not even his distant cousin. I was pissed, “how the @#%* could Jack screw up another game??”. On top of that, in walks the playfield issues.......Are you kidding me???
Fast forward to several weeks ago, when a fellow New Englander was selling an SE with pooling around the posts for $6700. I decided that if the game dropped to $6500 I would buy it........and it eventually did, so I bought it. I am like many of you and I try to own each game at some point even if I think it will suck........I have been wrong so many times that I don’t fully trust my first impressions about games, even though I am not shy about announcing them. Anyway, I picked up the game, set it up and immediately started to play. My first thought was, “Damn, this game really does suck, it’s so slow and the flippers are so weak!!”. I Played about 20 games and was already thinking about selling it. I texted my buddy who had an SE and started to bitch to him, “This game sucks!”. He loved his Wonka and kept telling me to shut up and text him when I got to 50 games........”Bull shit!”, I said. Well I finally got to 50 and that punk was right. I cranked up the coil strength on the flippers and pop bumpers and all of the sudden the game started flowing like a hurricane. In fact, it was flowing so fast I was getting air balls off the right ramp. Thankfully JJP sent me the fix in 2 days.....and the problem was solved! Anyway, I was starting to really enjoy this game and it’s super fast flow. That being said, I still hated the music, sounds and callouts....”Who is this loser they hired??. “He sounds like a kindergarten teacher giving instructions to a child, I am a 44 year old man and I don’t want to hear some prick talking to me like I am a 5 year old”.
Well After a week of ownership, I passed 125 games played and my brain began to focus on the incredible flow, amazing light show and beautiful playfield art and less on the loser narrator reminding me the Candyman was dead. The distractions of the numerous sounds subsided and all I could hear was, “I’ve got a golden ticket!”.......which brought me back to my childhood. This game was winning me over. Now, after a few weeks of ownership, I am fully converted and really enjoying this game. Is it perfect?, heck no, could it have been better?, damn right, but is it really good?, yup! Now that I am keeping it, I am excited to unlock the code and find out all the new things to uncover. This game is a keeper and it will be in my collection for a while. I WAS WRONG ABOUT WILLY WONKA!! I can honestly recommend this game, providing you crank up the coil strength. Thedarkknight77

I’ve never been able to get a good feel for a game based on a handful of plays, especially on location, and certainly not from watching a stream. It takes a little while to appreciate everything a game has to offer, Wonka is no different. I agree with your review, but I didn’t have to touch my flipper strength.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’ve never been able to get a good feel for a game based on a handful of plays, especially on location, and certainly not from watching a stream. It takes a little while to appreciate everything a game has to offer, Wonka is no different. I agree with your review, but I didn’t have to touch my flipper strength.

Same here

#7 4 years ago

The issue with Wonka for me is the game doesn't meet my expectations. Sure it could be a fun playing game which is what you're saying but they didn't capture that world under glass feel. That's the main issue. It's like a general pin with a Wonka skin rather than a pin designed around the Wonka universe.

A great example of nailing this experience for me was Ghostbusters. Even with all the physics issues that game had me hooked from the first plunge. The Ray Parker music jamming and the exto 1 horn sound just pulls you in. You are a Ghostbusters.

Saying you need to play a game 50 times to appreciate it is just a fail. Of course you'll like most games after 50 plays because you'll know the rules better.
Hooking you at the first plunge is what separates the men from the boys.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

The issue with Wonka for me is the game doesn't meet my expectations. Sure it could be a fun playing game which is what you're saying but they didn't capture that world under glass feel. That's the main issue. It's like a general pin with a Wonka skin rather than a pin designed around the Wonka universe.
A great example of nailing this experience for me was Ghostbusters. Even with all the physics issues that game had me hooked from the first plunge. The Ray Parker music jamming and the exto 1 horn sound just pulls you in. You are a Ghostbusters.
Saying you need to play a game 50 times to appreciate it is just a fail. Of course you'll like most games after 50 plays because you'll know the rules better.

They didn't capture the world under glass feeling? There's a large spinning gobstopper, rotating in playfield physical ball lock representing the Gobstopper machine, a large 3D molded Wonka vision toy, other 3D molds, multiple magnets, the Wonkavator physical ball lock, extremely vibrant artwork, and the entire 27" inch display and its animations represent a working chocolate factory.

Ghostbusters is a great example of a pin having a true world under glass, probably Stern's best in that regard. I wish Star Wars would have received the same treatment.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

They didn't capture the world under glass feeling? There's a large spinning gobstopper, rotating in playfield physical ball lock representing the Gobstopper machine, a large 3D molded Wonka vision toy, other 3D molds, multiple magnets, the Wonkavator physical ball lock, extremely vibrant artwork, and the entire 27" inch display and its animations represent a working chocolate factory.

Yeah the code and sounds are garbage. It's a mismash of just wonkaish noise. They should've had the start of the movie playing when you hit start with the theme song and made you feel like you were in the movie. I'm not saying the game look doesn't capture it. The actual gameplay itself doesn't. It's a dream theme for me as it's one of my favorite movies along with it being the Gene Wilder version. I wanted one badly when it was announced and watched all the streams obsessively and then played it at the local bowling alley a lot and it's a huge disappointment to me. I have no desire to own one now. Hopefully they improve the code. I think Woz is a masterpiece.

#10 4 years ago

Wonka>Ghostbusters and it ain’t even close.

#11 4 years ago

Its one of my favorites and everyone that plays it loves it..... even the old lady who rarely plays pinball has been playing for long periods of time . She even had her family over to play while i was out of town lol. Not sure about the weak coils tho?...... mine is on factory settings and is plenty strong .... i even have my game set up steep and can comfortably make all shots. Game is a winner in my book and will only get better.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from ChippyWonka:

Wonka>Ghostbusters and it ain’t even close.

I'll have to go with Ghostbusters now that the new code has been released, prior to the update I would go with Wonka.

#13 4 years ago

You are the music-maker, and you are the dreamer of the dream.

#14 4 years ago

I cranked up the coil strength on the flippers

Noticed the same thing on one another Pinsider bought. I helped lug it in, set that beautiful machine up... only to think the flippers were weak as hell. He changed the coil strength and it completely changed the game. I don't think they're as "snappy" as Stern flippers, but they totally work fine now and the game is a flow monster for a Lawlor title. Every shot is right where you think it should be. Light show rules too.

Can't wait to get more games on it.

#15 4 years ago

Oh that wacky perfect electricity at the JJP factory
It just hurts them in the long run having the power so low on Flippers. Wonka on location by me I wouldn't spend 50¢ on the flippers are so lame.

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

He’s myopic, and often misses the bigger picture. These games are all really fun!

That's not part of his bigger picture; he's a pinball talker.

#16 4 years ago

Glad you took my advise!

#17 4 years ago

I'm still not a fan of the game and it's a dream theme for me. My beef with the game is it can be long playing if you just grind out points with the boring strategy. Also the lack of assets kills it for me just can't get into that music.

#18 4 years ago

The game is probably the most addictive pin I've played to date.
Glad you ended up liking it, thedarkknight77 !

#19 4 years ago

I too hated this game at first.

Then I got super stoned and played it and it was fun! But the ball kept getting stuck on the way out of the ball trough.

That same afternoon I even found some love for Aerosmith.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That same afternoon I even found some love for Aerosmith.

Super DUPER stoned it sounds like

#21 4 years ago

We made the rounds at our local distributer, but this time waited until we got to the parking lot.

I really wanted to play more Wonka, but the ball getting stuck was a total bummer.

#22 4 years ago

There is a fix for the right ramp to stop air balls???

#23 4 years ago

I remember now!

Best shot on Wonka is the ball flying off the right ramp and nailing the Oompa Loompa.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We made the rounds at our local distributer, but this time waited until we got to the parking lot.
I really wanted to play more Wonka, but the ball getting stuck was a total bummer.

Where was the ball getting stuck?

#25 4 years ago

Not a fan of Wonka.....it's not bad but it's just not very good. Certainly not worth $9500 for an LE model. Not pimping Stern either their prices have hit ridiculous levels. I think Deeproot has the right idea.....direct from factory, no distributors....cut out the middleman to keep consumer prices down....no licenses to drive the price up.....that adds probably a thousand bucks to the cost of the machine. They certainly have all the talent in the world at Deeproot to produce quality original pinball titles without a st00pid license I think we will see Deeproot keep pinball prices in the $5000-7000 range. I want to see originality, creativity and quality from a pinball company before I drop that kind of money on a NIB Pinball Machine. The fact that JJP & Stern are having issues with pinball playfields is inexcusable for what people are paying. If their titles play as well as other modern day pinballs we will have a new kid on the block.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Brokkr:

Where was the ball getting stuck?

In the ball trough, just before getting to the shooter lane. Perhaps an easy fix, but I wasn't opening up the game.

All the little quirky sounds were kind of cool this time around.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

I think Deeproot has the right idea.....

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

#28 4 years ago

haha & you almost bought my Avengers PRO. Glad to hear you got it working well & are enjoying it; haven't tried the game yet. One of these days I'll have to check it out somewhere!!

#29 4 years ago

First couple times I played it on location didn’t like it at all. But the more I played it the more it began to grow on me. I’m still not sure I’d rate it that high yet but it’s not bad.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Super DUPER stoned it sounds like

Quoted from o-din:

but this time waited until we got to the parking lot.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The game is probably the most addictive pin I've played to date.
Glad you ended up liking it, thedarkknight77 !

Hey zaphX I’m curious how you’d rank Jurassic Park, Wonka and POTC, as I believe you own the 3.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey zaphx I’m curious how you’d rank Jurassic Park, Wonka and POTC, as I believe you own the 3.

For me theese are the current big three and i`m also very curious.

#33 4 years ago

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from phoenixpin:

Hey zaphx I’m curious how you’d rank Jurassic Park, Wonka and POTC, as I believe you own the 3.

I do indeed have all 3!

Right now Wonka gets all of our attention...it has its hooks in us bad. However I'd rank POTC slightly above, as it is my favorite.
Jurassic Park is right behind Wonka. It has great rewarding shots, and is fun to play. It is much more forgiving than Wonka, so when Willy beats me up I go to JP for a while.

I definitely plan to dig deeper into JP but at the moment Wonka is the focus.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

Not a fan of Wonka.....it's not bad but it's just not very good. Certainly not worth $9500 for an LE model. Not pimping Stern either their prices have hit ridiculous levels. I think Deeproot has the right idea.....direct from factory, no distributors....cut out the middleman to keep consumer prices down....no licenses to drive the price up.....that adds probably a thousand bucks to the cost of the machine. They certainly have all the talent in the world at Deeproot to produce quality original pinball titles without a st00pid license I think we will see Deeproot keep pinball prices in the $5000-7000 range. I want to see originality, creativity and quality from a pinball company before I drop that kind of money on a NIB Pinball Machine. The fact that JJP & Stern are having issues with pinball playfields is inexcusable for what people are paying. If their titles play as well as other modern day pinballs we will have a new kid on the block.

And,start holding your breath...........now

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Great post Fattdirk! I agree with pretty much everything you are saying, so I cannot fault you for your opinion. It wasn’t until I let go of my high expectations for this theme that I was able to appreciate the game for all of that it is. I’ve got a golden ticket!

#37 4 years ago

I can relate to a lot of the *start* of your story, never quite turning that corner to enjoyment. I went from money in hand at mgc, to I need to play more on location (which was the hope with wonka and, having played on location in two separate barcades, it seems successful there...), to definitely not winning me over. Glad some people are enjoying it, perhaps one day it’ll “click” for me, but for now... “damn this sucks!”

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ghostbusters is a great example of a pin having a true world under glass, probably Stern's best in that regard. I wish Star Wars would have received the same treatment.

I totally agree that Stern did a great job of creating the world underclass on GB...I wanted to love that game, but man did it suck...

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Yokimato:

I went from money in hand at mgc, to I need to play more on location (which was the hope with wonka and, having played on location in two separate barcades, it seems successful there...), to definitely not winning me over.

Yup I was the same. I only have room for two pins and one of them is a POTC LE. I was ready for the other to be Wonka, but it did not click for me and I went with a Jurassic Park LE (which I love). So in my ranking of the 3 I'd say POTC > JP > Wonka. I don't hate Wonka by any means, though. Just parts of it

#40 4 years ago

Paragraph breaks never hurt nobody ...

Pulling your chain, Wonka is fun, I agree!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

First couple times I played it on location didn’t like it at all. But the more I played it the more it began to grow on me. I’m still not sure I’d rate it that high yet but it’s not bad.

Come up and play mine.. i spent lots of time tweaking things and it plays amazing and so smooth. playing at shows or on route does jjp pins no justice from my years of experience.

#42 4 years ago

Yes yes it plays buttery smooth and the ball rides through the ramps just right but without a challenging shot to make it gets repititious! Pat's Whirlwind for example has a few tricky shots and a classic. What drives me nuts on Wonka is the upper flipper is completely blocked from seeing the ball? I can't think of any other game that has a blind spot like this?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Yes yes it plays buttery smooth and the ball rides through the ramps just right but without a challenging shot to make it gets repititious! Pat's Whirlwind for example has a few tricky shots and a classic. What drives me nuts on Wonka is the upper flipper is completely blocked from seeing the ball? I can't think of any other game that has a blind spot like this?

I don’t get the whole can’t see upper flipper,I have a SE and I see it fine,especially with the bell ring cuing it’s coming.I also disagree no difficult shots.The Wonkavision right shot and the spinner can be challenging.I also like the kid multiball target above left midfield flipper

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I don’t get the whole can’t see upper flipper,I have a SE and I see it fine,especially with the bell ring cuing it’s coming.I also disagree no difficult shots.The Wonkavision right shot and the spinner can be challenging.I also like the kid multiball target above left midfield flipper

And the right ramp isn't difficult...until you miss and it suddenly is, fighting the bounceback from the death target!

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I can't think of any other game that has a blind spot like this?

Judge Dredd upper right flipper

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Judge Dredd upper right flipper

Well with four flippers, four ramps, and a three level habitrail, that is bound to happen.

How much does that game cost again?

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well with four flippers, four ramps, and a three level habitrail, that is bound to happen.
How much does that game cost again?

I think around $3500 LOL
I owned it for 5 years and my wife still gives me shit for selling it!
I paid $1300 for a real nice one years ago,I kind of wish I had it back

#48 4 years ago

Definitely some tougher shots on Wonka ... the far left shot above upper left flipper is not easy. Also the tv shot , spinner and right ramp can be tricky. To me its the perfect combination of easy , medium and tough shots and one the reasons its one my favorite pins.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I think around $3500 LOL
I owned it for 5 years and my wife still gives me shit for selling it!
I paid $1300 for a real nice one years ago,I kind of wish I had it back

judge dredd really is a great value. It's no where near A class of pinball but that's a lot of pin for the money.

This game? 50 times to realize it's actually not that bad and having to ignore critical components like music and effects......for a pinball game.....is in itself a complete failure. I'm glad the game is still making the same people happy who loved it since day 1 but on the flip side, it continues to be such a fail for me after playing it many times. I still shake my head considering what it could have been.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

judge dredd really is a great value. It's no where near A class of pinball but that's a lot of pin for the money.

For me it's A+. I don't know what else you really need to grade it any higher.

As mentioned a full feature loaded playfield with perhaps the coolest ball lock ever. Beautiful hand drawn artwork true to the theme. Rocking music. And more modes that you will rarely complete in any given game. And a back door to the wizard mode that looks simple enough on paper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-reviewits-time-to-eat-my-words?hl=m00nmuppet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.