New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240483)

Wonka or Octoberfest?

By harryhoudini

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F8403B11-4D88-4777-A8FD-9921BDDAF78E (resized).jpeg

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

I know, no one knows what Wonka is until Friday. It would be my first new purchase of a game and I sort of want the excitement of getting in early and getting a game delivered new. I'm a big JJP fan and love my WOZ so complimenting it with Wonka would be great. I was also considering pirates as I'm a disney fan. I haven't played any of these games (JJP PoTC, Octoberfest or Wonka, obviously) so that's another concern. I can play PoTC but not sure I can get to an Octoberfest anytime soon. I would consider a Houdini (my username is such) but I am not a huge fan of the over-tight layout and game play nor the animations/voiceovers. So, I think my question boils down to what is Octoberfest like compared to what we would all imagine Wonka will be like? Is it a serious contender? Does it have the same sort of polish that JJP does, the same kind of detailed ruleset and fun sort of layouts? Knowing that I love my ToM and WOZ would I like Octoberfest or Wonka (presumably) more?

Any input, thoughts would be help for me in deciding which route to pursue.

Oh also, what are the likely differences in the Wonka editions? I am unfamiliar with the PoTC differences and can't find a comparison on the JJP site. I don't care too much about a "collectors" edition just for the extra "value" of the game, more if there were real functional differences. I would love to have a RR or LE WOZ but for the price my standard is great. Trying to plan a budget and I don't think it's going close to $11k.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

Any input, thoughts would be help for me in deciding which route to pursue.

Yeah.

Wait til wonka is even out to make posts like this. No one knows what's inside the factory yet.

#3 1 year ago

Even with Wonka not out yet I'd wager it'll be significantly better than Oktoberfest. In my opinion, the artwork and animations on Oktoberfest are not very good, and the music choices are poor given that parts don't match the theme, specifically the rock/metal that is also annoyingly repetitive.

#5 1 year ago

wonka if I had to choose

#6 1 year ago

You haven't seen the game, let alone played it. WTF?

#7 1 year ago

Wonka.

#8 1 year ago

I hate to bash Oktoberfest, but in this case the fact that Wonka is not out yet doesn't matter... Wonka.

#9 1 year ago

Please mods make a drain icon in the list page so I don't have to open these threads to do it. Thanks

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

You haven't seen the game, let alone played it. WTF?

And I may not have a chance to before I buy? I thought that is how these early/new game purchases work? Unless I make it to some show (like this weekend) where would I find the game before I were to order it when it is first available? I thought people take that chance. I think with 4 quality games out we would be able to sort of imagine what Wonka will be like and since I probably won't get to see an Octoberfest I thought others who know the JJP games and have played Octoberfest could chime in. I mean, I'm mostly sold on Wonka just knowing JJP and liking that IP already. But I'd be open to manufacturer diversity if Octoberfest is a real contender.

#11 1 year ago

I will let you know sir, once I have played both this Friday!!!! So exciting!!!!

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Poorman:

I will let you know sir, once I have played both this Friday!!!! So exciting!!!!

Please do! I would love to find a local Octoberfest but pinballmap has nothing. I am asking the local distributors.

#13 1 year ago

With the number of games on location these days... especially in the Seattle area... you owe it to yourself to play before you buy.

You’re asking for recommendations based on hypotheticals and pictures. That’s a recipe for potential let down. We’re talking $8k to, what, $11k shipped w/taxes.

Be patient and wait. Let things shake out.

Worst case, you end up watching a bunch of videos of the games being streamed. Best case, you don’t end up buying a game and being disappointed.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

With the number of games on location these days... especially in the Seattle area... you owe it to yourself to play before you buy.
    You’re asking for recommendations based on hypotheticals and pictures. That’s a recipe for potential let down. We’re talking $8k to, what, $11k shipped w/taxes.
    Be patient and wait. Let things shake out.
    Worst case, you end up watching a bunch of videos of the games being streamed. Best case, you don’t end up buying a game and being disappointed.

How does the new purchase work with a limited type release like JJP does? Let's say I wanted one of the more expensive versions, do I need to jump on that quickly? Or if I wait a few weeks for things to shake out will I still have an option to purchase those higher end models?

#15 1 year ago

How does the new purchase work with a limited type release like JJP does? Let's say I wanted one of the more expensive versions, do I need to jump on that quickly? Or if I wait a few weeks for things to shake out will I still have an option to purchase those higher end models?

You will have plenty of time. Not only will they not sell out immediately with their loose definition of "limited", they'll probably release a different limited one later given their history with it. Already happened multiple times with WOZ. There's simply no rush, don't get caught up in the hype. If it's a good game and you want one they'll be happy to sell you one when you're ready.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

You will have plenty of time. Not only will they not sell out immediately with their loose definition of "limited", they'll probably release a different limited one later given their history with it. Already happened multiple times with WOZ. There's simply no rush, don't get caught up in the hype. If it's a good game and you want one they'll be happy to sell you one when you're ready.

Ok, thanks, good to know. Thanks. I am definitely caught up in the excitement

#17 1 year ago

I can't comment really until I play both. But I haven't seen too many people gush over how amazing Oktoberfest is.

#18 1 year ago

Don’t forget: those “high-end models” always come up for sale on the secondhand market. Typically they’ve been totally babied because the original buyer is terrified of inflicting any sort of damage that could ding value.

And, typically, you’ll save money. Also, they will have taken care of all the issues the game had out of box.

When i bought my AC/DC, the seller detailed all of the issues he fixed OOB. I’ve owned it for almost 4.5 years and it’s been smooth sailing thus far.

Whatever you do, take a breath and give yourself time to evaluate. Don’t forget, more games will be announced this year. AND, if wonka or Octobrefest turn out to be smash hits, they be making them for years. As someone pointed out, they also be made with different variations.

#19 1 year ago

With Steve Ritchie's BK3 & Pat Lawlor's Wonka almost available, I'm shocked anyone is even remotely interested in Octoberfest.

I haven't seen Wonka, and I'd pick Wonka. The art/animation/sound package on Octoberfest is truly embarrassing...if you're spending this much on a new game, get one from the professionals.

#20 1 year ago

I’d buy Octoberfest, but used. When the price drops significantly.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Don’t forget: those “high-end models” always come up for sale on the secondhand market. Typically they’ve been totally babied because the original buyer is terrified of inflicting any sort of damage that could ding value.
    And, typically, you’ll save money. Also, they will have taken care of all the issues the game had out of box.
    When i bought my AC/DC, the seller detailed all of the issues he fixed OOB. I’ve owned it for almost 4.5 years and it’s been smooth sailing thus far.
    Whatever you do, take a breath and give yourself time to evaluate. Don’t forget, more games will be announced this year. AND, if wonka or Octobrefest turn out to be smash hits, they be making them for years. As someone pointed out, they also be made with different variations.

Thanks... it was going to be my first new in box purchase and it is a good timing based on the sale of another machine but I might wait a bit. I just know how long I had to wait to find a WOZ in my area (and then 2 more popped up right away, of course) that I sorta wanted to jump on a new one and have that fun. But I might wait. Thanks!

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

With Steve Ritchie's BK3 & Pat Lawlor's Wonka almost available, I'm shocked anyone is even remotely interested in Octoberfest.
    I haven't seen Wonka, and I'd pick Wonka. The art/animation/sound package on Octoberfest is truly embarrassing...if you're spending this much on a new game, get one from the professionals.

I sorta feel the same, of course all speculative. So, assuming JJP doesn't drop the ball on this and the pricing stays pretty close to PoTC then I think I know which way I want to go. Pending Fri, of course.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I can't comment really until I play both. But I haven't seen too many people gush over how amazing Oktoberfest is.

Aye... I was sorta waiting to see more of that and it's pretty quiet.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Great take aurich these hype trains are out of control in our instant gratification society.

#25 1 year ago

I think Wonka is the easy choice. Octoberfest is going to get lost in the shuffle.

#26 1 year ago

Oktoberfest is going to end up... years from now... being the most collectable of all three. Supply will undoubtedly be low.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Oktoberfest is going to end up... years from now... being the most collectable of all three. Supply will undoubtedly be low.

NBA is Stern’s lowest produced game...about 300 were made. Does anyone care?

#28 1 year ago

Come on rare... There were 9 King Kongs made. Does anyone care? 500 Mystery Castles... does anyone care?

We could go around in circles all day.

Rare doesn't always = valuable. I concede that. But just based on some of the comments I read, Oktoberfest might actually end up being a good shooter. It also might not see decent production (maybe, maybe not). Of the three, it has a good shot at being collectable some day.

#29 1 year ago

Had fun playing Oktoberfest, but am hopeful for their next efforts, taking what they learn and improving.

#30 1 year ago

I would imagine that Triple Knock in Tacoma (which had a POC last I was there) or 8 Bit Arcade in Renton will have one or the other or both. I loved Oktoberfest at TPF and ready respect what the guys are doing at API but I'd wait and play both before deciding. Up here in the Seattle area there's tons of playing opportunities. If you want to play a well set up Houdini hit me up and you might change your mind on that title.

#31 1 year ago

AP really needs to get caught up with the other pinball manufacturers on their animations. When you sit Oktoberfest next to any JJP title in the same price range, the difference is pretty glaring.

#32 1 year ago

I IMAGINE;
    Wonka will enjoy a brief honeymoon before being scathed and cursed. Then it will emerge again with bugs worked out to obscurity behind the next big release.
    Octoberfest will be appreciated more as time goes on but again overshadowed by the next release.
    Save your money for the next big release, or the next.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I IMAGINE;
    Wonka will enjoy a brief honeymoon before being scathed and cursed. Then it will emerge again with bugs worked out to obscurity behind the next big release.
    Octoberfest will be appreciated more as time goes on but again overshadowed by the next release.
    Save your money for the next big release, or the next.

Best time to buy the current title is to do so when the next title is announced. There have been some nice Houdini deals out there recently.

#34 1 year ago

I'd pick Oktoberfest ...because its the only one out

#35 1 year ago

Oktoberfest is the kill , in any Marry , F*ck, Kill scenario of new games except maybe against Thunderbirds then I’d throw it an F.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Oktoberfest is the kill , in any Marry , F*ck, Kill scenario of new games except maybe against Thunderbirds then I’d throw it an F.

This convinced me but I'm not sure of what....????

#37 1 year ago

You can order/have an Oktoberfest now and have it within a month AND a lot of people have already played it.

Wonka: You have not seen it yet, have not played it yet, don't really know the street price yet and it may take a year for you to actually get it. Plus the game that is shown tomorrow may change (or have features deleted) once it is actually produced.

If you like Oktoberfest, get one. You can always get a Wonka later once it is actually released. Plus as with other JJP games, they will most likely run it for a long time and even run different editions.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from GSones:

This convinced me but I'm not sure of what....????

I am with you. I'm not too sure what he means by 'is the kill, in any Marry, etc' statement.

I played a Thunderbird and it is about equal to a Vacation America or a Jetson's.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I played a Thunderbird and it is about equal to a Vacation America or a Jetson's.

You are quite generous on a game ranked #365 of 365 on the Pinball top 100.

#40 1 year ago

huh???
    Unless price is an issue, I can't see in what world someone is deciding between these 2 machines.
    Even not seeing Wonka yet, I know it's going to be a better overall package

My guess is Wonka will be a hit for JJP and they will pump out as many as they can sell ...

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

You can order/have an Oktoberfest now and have it within a month AND a lot of people have already played it.
    Wonka: You have not seen it yet, have not played it yet, don't really know the street price yet and it may take a year for you to actually get it. Plus the game that is shown tomorrow may change (or have features deleted) once it is actually produced.
    If you like Oktoberfest, get one. You can always get a Wonka later once it is actually released. Plus as with other JJP games, they will most likely run it for a long time and even run different editions.

I'd say you're going to be wrong about a lot of that.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from f3honda4me:

I'd say you're going to be wrong about a lot of that.

Wrong? People have not seen it yet, have not played it yet, prices/editions have not been released yet. Based on the history of the other JJP titles it will most likely take awhile from announcement to actually getting one.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Wrong? People have not seen it yet, have not played it yet, prices/editions have not been released yet. Based on the history of the other JJP titles it will most likely take awhile from announcement to actually getting one.

Think most are going on what Lawlor and JJP have produced up till now. It'd be pretty hard to concede that its going to be anything but a awesome game. Again everyone is just speculating... but it really isn't hard to know this based on history. The only lawlor game that I didn't care for is nascar, and it wasn't even that bad.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Prices and editions were mostly announced. SE is the only unknown and it will be less than $8500. LE is $9500 and CE $12.5k.

And all signs point to the games being shown as final prototypes or even production, so expect no major changes in production. And all signs point to this shipping in May or maybe June.

This is not like previous releases.

And people have seen and played it. JJP invited a bunch of media and distributors etc to see it. So far they have said it’s nothing short of amazing.

#45 1 year ago

This isn't a fair fight.

But it makes me wonder, what is APs path forward here? This is the battleground.

This is the problem with these new companies competing for the same pinball show/pinside crowd. Where are the sales to be made? Beyond boutique small 3-figure runs.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from GSones:

This convinced me but I'm not sure of what?

Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I'm not too sure what he means by ''is the kill, in any Marry, etc'' statement.

Politely called "marry, screw, kill" (or "marry, date, kill") it is a rating game by which you are given three choices and you have to choose one of the three to keep (marry), one to have a brief encounter with (screw or date), and one to get rid of (kill). At last Pinball Expo they played this game in one of the seminars by naming various groups of three pinball machines and asking the assembled crowd to rate which game of each group they would keep, which they would play briefly and which game they would destroy. Sometimes this game forces you to choose between three great games (or three hot women) and sometimes the choices are really easy. TheGunnet in effect is saying Oktoberfest is worse than any pin except Thunderbirds.

#47 1 year ago

Im gonna have a chocolate stout and think about it.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

TheGunnet in effect is saying Oktoberfest is worse than any pin except Thunderbirds.

I have played Oktoberfest. It is not a bad game. There are a lot of bad games in my book: Thunderbirds, Magic Girl, Vacation America, Popeye, a lot of Sega/Data East games, some Gottlieb SYS3 games, Jetsons, etc. I had a lot more fun playing Oktoberfest than ACNC at the last pinball show that I attended.

#49 1 year ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I am definitely going to try and play an Octoberfest before making a decision. Sounds like I don't have to jump on the Wonka train (or elevator? or boat?) right away.

#50 1 year ago

You probably are not going to like Octoberfest.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 0.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinJewels
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 17.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 189.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 17.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    M&M Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside