(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#244 4 years ago

My Wonka SE has the same pooling and in fact I haven’t seen one yet that doesn’t.

So far 1800 plays in it has not chipped though. If it never chips I don’t care about the pooling.

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Look at all the table chipping photos above. Chips/pooling is at the base of the old Bally/Williams star posts, which JJP uses exclusively (Stern has used them in the past, I know). Unless someone has an example, haven’t seen that issue with Sterns newer regular thinner posts, that don’t have such a large foot print that constantly torques on the surface of the playfield, as the heavy steel ball hits the post with high velocity.
The large surface foot print contact area of the Bally/Williams star posts might also have something to do with all these problems as much or more than we might suspect.

But pirates used narrow posts and wider star posts was the fix to conceal/arrest it.

#778 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If regulations surrounding the types and amounts of chemicals that can be used are negatively impacting playfield quality isn't it time for Stern and JJP to consider dumping wood playfields altogether in favor of a composite alternative? There's a few examples of pins being made over the years using composite playfields that have held up extremely well.
If a high quality playfield alternative became the norm and issues such as severe dimpling, clear chipping, clear pooling, etc went away would anyone really care if the playfield wasn't made out of wood? I wouldn't.

I am interested in the "hardtop" notion myself.

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Great info and nice interview until you said all of us who have chipping are crazy for letting it bother us. If it were just bubbling then fine, maybe somewhat reasonable rationale. But chipping where I can’t even move a post and install it just can’t be acceptable. Period.
You lost me there and I’m going to venture and say you were likely CYA since your a distro of all these fine games.

Well, the way I see things we have two options:

1. Bail out of NIB pinball and pout until this blows over
2. Keep playing and deal with it as best we can

I wouldn't say anyone is crazy for letting it bother you, but I do think sitting out of pinball over it is an over-reaction. Especially since we're talking about out of the way places that are chipping, in most cases.

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

Out of buying anything new, now , is what Derek means, right?

Yes that is what I meant.

#877 4 years ago

The thing is, the current games are too compelling to ignore (at least for me!)

IMG_1558 (resized).jpgIMG_1558 (resized).jpg
#926 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I volunteer as tribute... to set unattainable high scores that you'll never get off your game unless you factory reset it.

I'd be happy for you to do so!

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

A low-level employee in Sector 7-G?

HomerChipping (resized).jpgHomerChipping (resized).jpg
#1016 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Ok so Stern made 10,000 games last year and how may have chipping?
What % exactly

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I dont like to whine about every little thing on a pinball machine , no time , the guys I buy from get a message, and I certainly dont feel that if I have not submitted a ticket to JJP, that the problem isnt real.
Of my last 4 nib, (stern& JJP equal) 4 have had it.. gues thats a double double super jackpot !
Customer-distributor-manufacturer is the right way to get it rolling.
1%. ay, Sjeesh , you think so, get real mr bally.

Yeah I for one have not submitted JJP tickets on this issue nor have I (yet) requested the playfield offer. The reason is I would need to submit a photo of the chipping which means removing the star posts. I haven't had the glass off of POTC in many weeks (yay!) so I'll get to it when I get to it.

#1101 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This kind of reminds me of Ghostbusters all over again. Everyone loved the game and then the playfields were shit and everyone lost interest in it because of it. Ghostbusters would have sold way better had it not been for the playfield problems.

I came into the hobby after the playfield thing was over...I thought GB sucked because it shot like shit! It might have been my first pin if it wasn't so frustratingly terrible.

#1103 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its not a fun game for noobs for sure. Play better!

Believe me I'm trying! Wonka is brutal AF and it has definitely upped my skills a bit across all pins.

#1304 4 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Don’t worry fellas every Wonka LE comes with this piece of paper in the top now![quoted image]

Trolling, right? This looks word for word what Stern put in the manuals around 2017.

#1308 4 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Don’t worry fellas every Wonka LE comes with this piece of paper in the top now![quoted image]

Definitely a troll (thanks for downvoting me).

From the Stern Star Wars manual: https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/StarWars_Pro_web.pdf

Stern Pinball machines are assembled in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA. Stern Pinball has inspected each game element to ensure it meets our quality standards.

Each pinball machine has unique characteristics that make it a one-of-a-kind American made product. Each will have variations in appearance resulting from differences
in the machine’s particular wood parts, individual printed art and mechanical assemblies. No playfield is perfectly flat and varies depending on the season. Game play will result in playfield dimpling as the harder steel ball contacts the wood and coating; over time multiple dimples will blend to make them less noticeable.

Normal plastic insert crazing (tiny stress cracks) and ghosting (small cloudy areas around insert edges) are often seen in pinball machines, due to a combination of plastic mold stress, pushing of inserts into purposely undersized holes, and heating and breaking of inserts’ plastic “skin” when the playfield field is sanded.

#1310 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

If Stern is doing this too, then I’m disappointed in them. However, it seems they do replace populated PF under warranty at no cost. If any company attempts to rely on that type of BS saying it’s a one of a kind product, with ghosting and chipping being part of the machine, then that might be the end of any company applying this ill-gotten philosophy.

And that was pretty much how Pinside reacted in 2017 to this. And yet here we are and Stern is still thriving

#1313 4 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

I’m not trolling, that is legit what came in the top of my Wonka LE.

Wow. My apologies. I legitimately thought you were having fun with us.

#1315 4 years ago
Quoted from N80G80:

Nah, I wish I was, my wonka has what everyone is calling “pooling” at the posts, and that was as soon as I took it out of the box, before even playing a game. I talked to Steve at JJP about it, so they are aware. I think the issue is soft clear coat, and when the posts are tightened it mushrooms out.

Same. I notified my distributor about it after unboxing as a "hey, heads up on this in case it worsens" thing.
The deepest "pool" is on the left above the outlane. The only other Wonka I've seen so far was an LE on location and it had the exact same patterns of pooling.

So far it has not progressed into chipping. We have over 1800 plays on it and it's holding solid.

#1350 4 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Hahaha good grief, trading? Pfft... Most people are in agreement it's an issue, but some people, like myself aren't going to let it stop me from enjoying the pins.

When the original Stern controversy broke (the aforementioned text), I was new to pinball and had just purchased a Star Wars. I took the Pinside hysteria to heart and checked for ghosting - found none. I posted pics and of course Pinside decided I was wrong and yes I absolutely had ghosting.

My takeaway from this was "Pinside is insane" and went back to enjoying my machine.

My opinion on the matter has not changed.

#1355 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Derek, once your honeymoon phase with pinball is over you too will realize that this is a product that all of us pay hard earned money for.
Is it a toy? Yes.
Does hat imply that we have to treat the "important people" in pinball and their products like ROCKSTAR in order to be friends and fans, let them get away with issues that we would otherwise demand to have rectified?
In my case, no. Your opinion at this point may still vary.

I seriously need to get the hell off Pinside.

#1358 4 years ago

Fine. Enjoy your hysteria.

1 week later
#2021 4 years ago

It is interesting that the people who are beating the "populated playfield" drum the loudest do not own JJP games at all.

Demanding a full playfield swap is essentially saying "this chipped game is 100% without value and cannot be used." And that is just not true.

#2026 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Not really. It saying that a visibility chipped playfield is very upsetting to many "collectors" who are a major part of the market for $10k(!) machines. And will likely hurt re-sale well beyond the value of an unpopulated playfield, especially one that will be in ready supply. How about offering some options like repopulating playfields for free if you pay shipping or bring to the factory. Micro is likely supplying replacement play fields at no-charge to JJP, so it's not unreasonable to expect JJP to provide the labor to repopulate.

Not unreasonable.

First people complained nothing was being done, and that they should get a playfield at cost. That happened.
Then people complained they should get them free without paying anything. That happened.
Now people complain they should be populated playfields.

Where does this end?

From where I sit, all I see are pinside people being entitled and unreasonable while JJP is doing what they can to make people happy.

#2065 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Same company, most likely different people that are new to the game.
Stern seems to keep fulltime workers, and even then they may need retrained. I can only be sure of myself, taking extreme care with every part, every wire, every board, I engage on my games.
And for a full reinstall, that would be hundreds, thousands of parts needing swapped. The likelihood of me taking my time over days would give me better results, rather than workers maybe not so happy to be doing full reinstallations, one after the next, after the next, after the next.
In a fantasy world, I'd love to have others do it, really a guy like Christopher Hudgens. In reality, it would be safer for me to do it personally.

That is my thought as well. Doing the swap would be a challenge but I’d be doing every single screw with the care of ownership.

2 weeks later
#2140 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

As long as we're into this - what alternative is there for chlorine tablets to keep mold under the rim under control? We are in an area prone to mold, but the only thing that works is the bleach tablets - but they destroy the tank flapper and fill valve asembly seals every 18 months or so, requiring replacement. Is them's the breaks? Or is there some better way...?

I think we need a splinter site, Poopside

3 weeks later
#2170 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Why would you not care that your machine is falling apart before your eyes? That's just plain nuts. But whatever man

Because it's still fun to play which is the entire point.

#2172 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

And my car would still be fun to drive when the paint is falling off the hood and there is a big ass hole in the seat after 100 miles, but I'm not going to tolerate that either.
Maybe you don't care if your stuff looks like crap and is falling apart, but I do.

Sure I care. But I'm not gonna stop playing and buying over it.

#2174 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

You're worse than the people complaining. How many times have you played the apologist? 100 posts in 20 different threads? Give it a rest ffs.

101 now!

#2179 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Hey man I've never seen anyone who loves to play pinball more than Zaphx....he puts more games on his machines in a week than I do in a year Cant fault a guy for loving the hobby, and not worrying about the play field. I myself would be aggravated, but everyone is different. To that point I'm not sure I'll ever buy a NIB game again....I just picked up a POTC LE that had 80 plays on it with no cracking, and very very minor pooling if u look hard enough. I actually installed the complete set of Cliffy's yesterday, which was a bit of a pain in the ass.

To be clear (no pun) it's not that I don't care, it's that it's not enough to stop me having fun and buying them, especially if the issue is small enough I can cover it (as it was with POTC.)

I only chimed back in on this pitchfork thread because the guy who said he was still going to buy was getting jumped on about it.

It's ok for him to keep buying just as it's ok for people who are sitting out to sit out. Nobody is right or wrong here.

#2181 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

We KNOW your feelings. FFS it's shoved down our faces everyday multiple times.

We also know yours and the other pitchfork wavers, yet it seems to be ok for you guys to keep posting!

#2190 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

It's quite simple. This is a thread about people having playfield issues. Your boy Pats err Zaph comes in EVERY day to say Eh, no big deal.

False. The last time I posted in this pitchfork thread on the topic was 44 days ago. And I only jumped in this time (believe me I regret it) to defend the guy who was getting jumped on as "part of the problem."

This "patsy" business is amusing as hell to me as I genuinely don't understand the insult.

#2192 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I don't know. haha.
How do you like Star Wars? Thinking about changing up the lineup and that keeps popping into my head.

Well, Star Wars was my first pin...it is the game that got me into pinball. That said, I had to move it into a separate room from the other 3 for space reasons and I haven't played it much. I've been thinking of selling it.

It has nice flow, some of the needed shots (Death Star) are tight and difficult to make when you need them.

At one point I was considering upgrading to a premium, but I honestly prefer the Pro and the ramp to the Death Star makes the already-tough shot even harder. So I think Pro plays best.

#2194 4 years ago

Probably! Though that's a bigger discussion outside the scope of pinball.

#2201 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

You say nobody is right or wrong here yet one approach will make the manufacturers fix the defective machines they are putting out and the other approach only lets them get away with selling defective machines. You can’t grasp this??

"Getting away with this" implies that the manufacturers shipped bad playfields on purpose -and- had no inherent interest in fixing the issue without being forced.

I do not believe that for one second. Indeed, people are saying recent Stern JP machines are fine, and Jack said at Expo the issue is fixed.

Pitchforks down? At least tentatively?

#2206 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I can only assume that the reason you don’t care

In the post you quoted, I literally said I care. FFS get me out of this

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zaphx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=zaphx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.