(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 4 years ago

Very sad to see chipping issues persist. My DILE chipped at the SIM hole after 40 plays or so. Fortunately, a Cliffy covered it (and I haven’t had chipping since). Some areas are easier to cover than others.

NIB quality really has become a total crap shoot.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

This is a different type of issue though, likely related to the clear / clear process itself with the tension put on the playfield by the sling posts along with movement around the sling post area when the slingshots fire. Dialed In uses star posts around the slings and has never had this issue. Something changed in the past year with the playfields Mirco is producing for JJP.
I think Stern get's some of its playfields, not all, from Mirco (need confirmation) so that's likely the reason why this problem isn't occurring as frequent on Stern pins.

Understood. This is more troublesome. I guess my point is from the customers perspective, both are bummers!

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Looks like the days of Jersey Jack getting a free pass for poor CQ are over. When he was a start up everyone gave him a free pass because he needed time to get up to speed. Well, plenty of time has gone buy and at $10K a pop for new machines now the free pass has expired. I recently serviced a friends HUO Dialed in with about 100 plays that had a ridiculous amount of assembly line issues that were inexcusable. I won't bore anyone with the details but at the $10K price level the consumer should not have to be a high level tech just to get his machine to work properly.

Agreed. Took me nearly 1 month to "dial in" my DILE (with some help from Pat Lawlor). Since this is a hobby for me (and I had some time), it wasn't that big a deal. The problem is, many folks aren't hobbyists and/or don't have the time to fiddle.

#130 4 years ago

You’d think a company with Stern’s success could bring PF production in-house and do the appropriate R&D (and/or acquisition) to nail these issues. Depending on 3rd party companies for the heart of your product isn’t smart (and it seems to worsen with each new game).

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Didn’t they try that? I don’t know why they stopped, but it’s probably because they screwed it up.

I never heard that. We all know this isn't "rocket science". For years, PF's didn't exhibit these problem after so little use. My 15 years old LOTR has over 10k plays and the PF looks gorgeous. Same with my TRON...still looks awesome after 6 years. SOMEONE knows what has changed. If not, hire folks like Chris Hutchins and Ron Kruzman to advise you! (when you get a PF from them it doesn't suck

It's not just clearcoat issues...it's sloppy wood preparation. Check out the wood grain on my IMDN Premium. Distributors say it's the "new normal"...just the luck of the draw. Considered purchasing a BM66LE recently from a buddy and his PF had awful wood grain issues as well. Ended up purchasing a BM66 Premium from another local collector because the PF didn't have the wood grain issue.

Hard not to be cynical...probably all comes down to time & money. Would be very interesting to know the profit margin on PF's...

IMG_9634 (resized).jpgIMG_9634 (resized).jpg
#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Most CCs have a maximum purchase protection payout of $1,000, so I'm not sure this is the right direction to go here.
Your best bet is to buy a used one you can inspect, or wait till they figure out the issues on the assembly line.

Bingo.

Even if CCs didn't have a limit, the "fight" over what is considered damage would be significant (including the cost to pack/ship/etc.).

If it's such a great idea, I'd be interested to know if ANYONE on this thread has "returned" a NIB game purchased on a CC.

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I know exactly what you're saying, Jason, but I will say this. I've got a local buddy shop owner that's been clearing my playfields for the last 5 years or so. All of them have been done with water based clears. In fact, one of the last jobs I did was to wire the oscillating fans in his booths which are necessary to dry water based paints and clears as opposed to the straight line fans used with solvent based paints and clears. He's done dozens of them for me and not a one has any of the issues I've seen with the newer playfields.

Not surprised. And I'm sure HEP and Kruzman are restoring PF's without the defects mentioned in this thread.

I'm sure it all comes down to time & money.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Fixing/restoring clear finishes is much different than laying down an entire playfield's worth of art on bare wood and then clearing. That first step of ink adhesion for the ART to the WOOD seems to be the major point of failure and the clear a secondary problem.

Sure, but MANY PF clears/restorations involve paint/art. I had Ron restore a NOS Paragon PF and was shocked by how much touch up he had to do (to make everything perfect).

And while it might be slightly off topic, the IMDN PF I referenced earlier (with poor sanding/prep) has become more common on the newer Sterns.

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Touchup is different than putting down art on a new playfield. The playfield was already "seasoned" and held the prior art. Putting art on a PF blank is a whole different ballgame.

Sure, but “Putting art on a PF blank” isn’t exactly a feature new to pinball I understand paint chemistry evolves (and is regulated), however this just seems like pure negligence (since the problems occur so quickly). If we were talking about wear/damage that only surfaced after hundreds of plays, it would be another story. Just seems like the manufacturers have decided to live with these problems to keep the line rolling.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I got about 3 pages in...and all I can think is...
You know...screw all of you that want CPR to pick up playfield production for Stern and JJP! Yes, I'm being hyperbolic, but let me explain...
There is no other company that makes reproduction playfields. They're ALREADY slow as dirt, and the changeover to digital has not happened, and many playfields that are needed are still unavailable. You guys only want them to pick it up so you can continue to buy your 10k NIBs, but the rest of us? We're dying for a 700$ playfield to go in our 1400 games. We don't have the money for 10k JJP games. Is someone then supposed to step in to do what they're doing so that people that prefer older games don't get boned in the name of rampant consumerism, or are we just going back to the dark ages where no replacement playfields for old games were available?
Nope. Do not like that suggestion AT ALL.

If they are are "slow as dirt" AND care deeply about quality, CPR's culture and business model are highly unlikely to keep up with Stern/JJP.

Highly unlikely to happen, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I had a space for a new game.
Instead of a JP, I am going to pick up an older Stern with a rock solid SAM board set, finished code and a decent playfield

If you haven't owned TRON, I highly recommend trying it. Just sold one I owned for 6 years...over 3,000 plays and it still looked like new.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.