(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphypeoples.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#816 4 years ago

I hope you guys don't mind me chiming in on the Wonka thread, but since it relates to chipping around posts on a JJP game I thought this might be interesting. I just brought home a NIB JJP Pirates LE this past Friday. Born on date is 2/22/2019. The collector I bought it from never took it out of the box. Before I played game one.... I changed out the 6 lower slingshot posts to Marco Star Posts with their rubberized washers under each post. Before and after Pics below. As our family build games on it, I'll stay in touch to let you know if this was "The Fix" or not. Fingers crossed! We have much love for the Wonka too! Awesome game. - Murphy

IMG_3781 (resized).JPGIMG_3781 (resized).JPGIMG_3783 (resized).JPGIMG_3783 (resized).JPG
#820 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I have no doubt if these neoprene washers got to us sooner our slings never would have chipped.

I completely agree with this. As a lifelong automotive painter using 2PAC, I see the clearcoat "Doughnuts" that accrue around the posts after the posts have been tightened down as being the culprit. There is NO chipping in the middle of the play fields... just around the posts. The doughnut is what is chipping off the PF and taking the paint from underneath as well. Neoprene washer over the doughnut will likely solve the issue.

#825 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not true. We got chipping at the forks week one. No downward post pressure there.

I'll take a look at mine this week and check this out. I don't think it's the downward pressure from the posts being screwed it per se. I think it's where the clearcoat collects around the cut out openings in the PF. Downward torque would exacerbate the problem certainly, but the curing of these "new environmentally friendly" clearcoats are questionable. This is all conjecture from an old painter. I like your idea PinMonk of laying down Mylar in these areas, and will be doing this very soon. : ) - Murph

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

look at there clear mixture as something drastic has changed of late.
I think these companies are going for a eco friendly water based clear which is quicker and cheaper to apply compared to a urethane clear coat.

This is something I mentioned in Post 825. I believe you've hit the nail on the head. In the aftermarket automotive paint shops it came down to a few things... new environmental regs dictated that paint shops upgrade their booths to meet new regs for spraying paints/clearcoats with high VOC's and aromatics. The alternative was to switch to more enviromental friendly products which have low to no VOC's and viola... you don't have to spend tens of thousands to upgrade your paint booth. And yes... you are correct the water based paints are lower costs. Ask any paint shop and they'll tell you the price of high end paints have tripled over the last few years. I use a Spies/Hecker Acrylic Urethane 2-stage for paint, and still use a diamond hard 2PAC over that. Both are now crazy expensive. This is just conjecture on what "might be happening" to PF's. I'm simply a hobbyist that has painted on the side for decades, and keeps up with the automotive industry. My day job is working with Automotive Manufacturers and their paint mix shops to remove overspray from their paint booth systems using flocculant and coagulant chemicals.

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

What is the part number for the washer?

Good Question. I was given my Marco Kit from the original buyer. It had 6 star posts and 6 black nylon washers in it. I've called Marco and they are "checking into" the washer.

Here's what is WEIRD. Look at the slingshot under the BP ramp. Check out the Star Post at the top of the sling shot. This is exactly what many people are changing their lower slingshot posts to. This is Part Number 30-009005-13 in the JJP POTC Manual Page C-133.
I'll post a follow up if Marco can confirm the washer.
Thanks. Murphy

#902 4 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

What is the part number for the washer?

Talked to Marco a couple of times today. They did not provide Magical Productions the washer that were sent with tbe Marco posts my original buyer received.
I e-mailed MP asking where they got them from and they have yet to respond. In the meantime, Cale at Marco is trying to be helpful.
They have a "Lexan" washer they recommend. Part number is: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-34-GD

Here is a pic. Seems slightly tall to me.
IMG_8227 (resized).jpgIMG_8227 (resized).jpg

#909 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That’s what I’m putting on my sling starpost.Their not as thick in reality as picture would seem

Please post a picture for us if you would upon installation. I'd like to get more and add to a couple of other areas. : )

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Murph,
What does the bottom of the post look like? Is the only contact area around the outside edge?

Yes - the contact area is only around the outside edge. Hollow inside. Here are mine installed:
IMG_3783 (resized).JPGIMG_3783 (resized).JPG

#961 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

So here are a few pics from my game, no damage that I can see. I hand tightened the star posts I added. There was no visible damage before I put the posts on, just did it for precaution. It was one of the first games off the line I believe
]

Could you please share the rubberized washer part number that you used under the large star posts in the Wonka Sling? Several of us are interested. My NIB POTC came with these from the original buyer in a "kit" from Magical Productions, but they have not responded to email requests for more information. It would be greatly appreciated. : )
Murphy Peoples

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

You don't actually believe he's on vacation, off the grid in 2019, at the exact time all hell breaks loose do you?

You joined Pinside TODAY, and your first post was to come out swinging at people? Huh.
As for vacations, most everyone I know in the work force has to "put in" for vacation months in advance. Typically they
travel with family, and try to take a break from the work world. I don't take work calls when I'm on vacation either. At least he was cordial enough to take a break and record a message.

#1664 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I have seen four POTC in person and played them, including the CE that I own myself.
All four had pooling, making it a 100% quota in my case.
What is your real-world quota?

Any idea of the play count on these at the time you saw them? Just curious if you knew. Were any that way out of the box?
POTC was definitely so bad that we got the "Post Update Kit". .
Thanks.

#1665 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Now that there is so much new blood buying and selling games... I can simply wait a few weeks and let someone else take the NIB hit... r

Smart. My new SOP.

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thx for those. It's interesting in your examples many of them are wrinkling only on one side. It's hard to get the perspective in the tight shots.. but would you say the wrinkling is mostly on the side opposite of ball travel/impact?

For me, most every slingshot pic I've seen as the wrinkling TOWARDS the area the rubber is pulling the post. Which makes sense, as the sling coil puts pressure on the post in that direction as well. I'm not so certain this is "ball impact", but simply tension over and over as a ball hits the slingshot.

#1868 4 years ago

My repair tool came in from Amazon today. : )

Pin Repair Tool (resized).jpgPin Repair Tool (resized).jpg
#1927 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Speaking of which, why is JJP not going after the playfield vendors? They are at fault to begin with.

How do we know he didn't go after Micro? And came to an agreement, and this is all part of said agreement? Just wondering.... : )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphypeoples.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=murphypeoples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.