(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Looks like the days of Jersey Jack getting a free pass for poor CQ are over. When he was a start up everyone gave him a free pass because he needed time to get up to speed. Well, plenty of time has gone buy and at $10K a pop for new machines now the free pass has expired. I recently serviced a friends HUO Dialed in with about 100 plays that had a ridiculous amount of assembly line issues that were inexcusable. I won't bore anyone with the details but at the $10K price level the consumer should not have to be a high level tech just to get his machine to work properly.

You have to have a huge pair of brass balls to charge customers 8K-12K per machine and continue to allow the same quality issues to leave your factory.

#123 4 years ago

If it ain’t broke, it ain’t pinball.
If it ain’t chipping, it ain’t pinball.
If it ain’t bubbling, it ain’t pinball.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Start buying machines with credit cards from, oh, say, pinballsalesdotcom. Just pay the minimum for a couple months and utilize the purchase protection gimmick if defects show up. When the 2nd or 3rd machine is returned for a refund; in the words of Gene Cunningham: "action will be taken".

You should always buy a NIB machine with a credit card.
Why give up buyer’s protection over 3.5%-4%?

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

that's if a PF cost $500 to them

Not a chance.

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

That’s for accidental damage. Some cards extend your warranty period and claim limits under this are much higher. They don’t cover wear and tear so you’d have to prove it was a manufacturer defect.

Lermods is 100% correct.

The Amex Platinum card helped my buddy out on a splitting cabinet and a chipping play field. It was something of a long and arduous process (around 60 days and countless photos), but Amex got it done.

The purchase protection for the Platinum card is limited to $10,000 per occurrence. You must notify Amex of the issue within 120 days of receipt of merchandise. Also, Amex’ extended warranty doubles the manufacturer’s warranty.

It provides me peace of mind.

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No not really. What's dramatic is my friends that are not rich that saved up their hard earned money for their POTC games and they got chipping playfields and JJP wont replace them. They are feeling pretty dramatic right now and devistated just to be honest with you. Its sad man and very wrong.

Did any of them pay with an Amex card?

#450 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Not sure to be honest with you.

Ask them.
Hopefully, they have buyer’s protection or may be able to file a chargeback.

#562 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

My distributor said that he makes a little over $200 on the Wonka SEs. When JJP lowered prices on the entry editions, the difference was taken almost completely out of the distro’s profit margin. I’m not sure if they made up for it on the LEs though. I would suspect that way more Wonka SEs are selling compared to previous JJP titles, including to new buyers like myself who could not justify the higher prices in the past.
JJP is apparently strict on a lot, including shipping fees for distros. This is why you rarely if ever see the free shipping deals you see on Sterns. Way less profit margin.
I can not confirm any of this, but I didn’t get the impression he was lying (or had any reason to). I also didn’t get into or particularly care to ask how much they make on Sterns.

At $200 per game, I would never waste my resources as a company to try and sell them.

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from Hemispheres:

You do realize at the end of the day you're just going to jack your distributor. You think we're going to get the money back? Ultimately if this becomes a wildfire we're the ones that will get screwed.

You should take it up with JJP, no?

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

If my distributor acted this scared about an issue with a product he/she was selling, I would immediately know whether or not they supported me as a customer.

Agreed, when a distributor comes into this thread and makes a comment like that, I believe things are about to get much worse before they get better.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well, the way I see things we have two options:
1. Bail out of pinball and pout until this blows over
2. Keep playing and deal with it as best we can
I wouldn't say anyone is crazy for letting it bother you, but I do think sitting out of pinball over it is an over-reaction. Especially since we're talking about out of the way places that are chipping, in most cases.

Nobody is sitting out. We’re all still playing pinball.

I have a bunch of games to play at home and The Silverball Museum is a couple of blocks from my office. Typically, I play at least a couple of games per day.

If the manufacturers who are charging 8K-12K per game can’t solve these issues I think they are in for some dark days ahead. However, I am surprised that this is what finally broke the camel’s back. For now, I’m back to buying HUO until I’m confident that the play field issues are in the rear view mirror.

#1117 4 years ago

Communicating a solution to their customers via podcast?

Interesting.

#1137 4 years ago
Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

NiB pinball is becoming a gamble. At least with used your able to view the product before getting ripped off

It’s been a gamble for a few years.

#1158 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Good luck convincing anyone other than an anal pinsider that this is a big deal.
Anal Pinsider says "Stand close, lean in and look right here. Can you see it? It's right there. Isn't that horrible? Think I should sue?"
Normal guy says "Umm. Yeah. Maybe you should get some help. Can I play now?"

Normal guy didn’t drop 8K-12K on the machine.

#1168 4 years ago

Oh my goodness. They are only doing that because you guys made it out to be a big deal. Not unlike how a toddler freaks out over a popped balloon, or a dropped ice cream cone, and then the parent buys them another one. Stern is simply soothing you guys.

Do you sell new arcade games?

#1183 4 years ago

Just Pong. It's awesome. No need to pander.

Maybe. The straw man reply annoyed me, as did the lawyer. And I'm fed up with the cynical manipulation and pitch fork parties over every little QC defect. It is literally consuming a lot of NIB buyers and preventing them from enjoying the hobby.

The games are too much damn money for these kind of bullshit quality issues.
Stern and JJP want to charge big boy prices which means they need to step it up. Gary/Jack/Investors are no longer selling a $3,300 Monopoly.

#1225 4 years ago

Your point wasn't lost on me. The way you made it was disturbing.
Whether you mean it or not, you don't say you're going to come vandalize someone's games.
The upvoting of such douchebaggery is equally disturbing.

Many of your comments are disturbing, annoying as well.

#1413 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Jack's statement transcribed from the podcast -
"Alright, well first off I just want to apologize for the delay in speaking about this matter publicly as we sorted through things internally and we understand that some of our customers are concerned to see and hear of clear coat chipping around posts on our Willy Wonka game.
The number of actual cases we have seen with true playfield chipping is extremely low and we're in the process of developing a program for anyone with documented damage and will work with those customers on a case-by-case basis and, you know, feel free to call Tech Support or call me directly if you feel your machine has true chipping or damage. And we want you to feel confident and comfortable with your purchase, always.
We want to notify customers NOT to take apart their machine, remove posts, etc, for the sole purpose of looking for chipping or problems under the posts. If you truly need to remove any part of the machine, we recommend contacting JJP Tech Support for instructions on how to do this properly. And for those customers who see rippling or pooling around any post, we want to urge you, this does not mean your game will chip.
We're diligently working with our vendor and engineers day and night on correcting any pooling moving forward. We have no reason to believe any games out there in the field are inadequate in any way, shape, or form. You should continue to enjoy and play your amazing game.
Our company's put countless hours and efforts into making Willy Wonka a fun experience for you and your loved ones to appreciate for years to come. I mean really, our people work hard every day with passion to design and create amazing games for you to play. As we always have, we will stand by our product and support our loyal customers and I can tell you that'll never change.
Thank you"

And no more NIB for me.

#1501 4 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

perhaps its time for one of the investors to step in as the new pitchman. what about michael strahan? he used to play for the NJ giants.[quoted image]

That’s my buddy Cancro. Unlike these shady coin-op manufacturers, he knows how to run a business.

#1556 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I don't know how you listen to Jack's carefully worded statement and buy with any kind of confidence. Especially considering how they've responded to this issue so far. Are you going to send them pictures of a chipped playfield and they determine you need extra large washers for it?

I think the party is over.
I wonder if any distributors will comment. Some may be stuck with large inventories.

#1565 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

A brand new game with a chipping playfield is not acceptable period.

Certainly not at these silly prices.

#1798 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I will be the first to complain about the cliques and Klingons out there... but the biggest social footprint in pinball is not tournament people... but the footprint fed by the endless waves of say nothing opinion podcasts and streams of people just playing.
Meanwhile I prefer to help run events and contribute to great pinball experiences.

Different strokes, but I’m glad you’re having fun with your events.

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Come on down and see what the buzz is about... https://super.magfest.org/gaming/arcade

Very cool.

#1920 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

This is exactly the problem. You think your personal experiences are indicative of everyone else's too. You're either a JJP apologist with an agenda or completely clueless.

He’s a buffoon, but everyone continues to respond to him.

#2053 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

They have the parts. Your parts. They can do it like Stern did. Stern sent customers a box for them to send back their populated PF. Then Stern took their old mechanical parts and swapped them onto a new undamaged PF. Then they sent the new assembled product back to the customer. That way the company doesn't eat the cost of all new mechs, etc and only has the PF, shipping and labor.
JJP could do the exact same thing for POTC customers that really had obvious damage... if they wanted to.

They should, but they won’t.

Is there any other brand new item which people have paid more than $5,000 where they would accept this level of service? Hopefully, both companies get their acts together.

#2098 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Holy shit. It was a joke. Why not direct your diatribe at yelobird who started this?
I worked for Rockwell International for several years and get a nice pension from them. My time there was after Apollo, during the Space Shuttle era.

What a nut job.

1 month later
#2161 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Think I read somewhere that Jack was asked at expo if the root cause of the playfield clear issues had been determined and a fix identified. He said yes to both, but would not elaborate any further. I would think the newest builds have whatever fix was implemented, guess we'll find out....

I’d prefer to find out with someone else’s $10,000.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.99
$ 64.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mike_j.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=mike_j and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.