(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#76 4 years ago

I put neoprene washers under both my wonka and potc sling posts that I bought at Lowes and hand tightened the posts down. There wasn’t any damage before I did that, just for protective measure. So far so good. But man, it’s very disappointing to see some of these issues and I hope some response on the cause and a resolution will be coming. The silence just makes people madder.

#156 4 years ago

I was just at the boardwalk in Rehobeth DE...here's the Beatles clear with a similar issue. I'd guess the game has been there a while, but likely not played much. A neoprene washer would take care of it.
MVIMG_20190819_201504 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190819_201504 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190819_201513 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190819_201513 (resized).jpg

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

My guess is once JJP inspects, signs off then they take ownership. Once they start populating the play field all bets are off

There has to be a warranty on the playfields sold to jjp if there is a manufacturer defect. No business would buy parts without some recourse. the curing time should be on the manufacturers side as no playfields should be shipped until fully cured. Since it’s only happening on post areas, seems there may be a gray area of whether it’s the install of the posts or the clearcoat. I didn’t think stern used Mirco so if that’s true, to see it on Beatles is a bit odd.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Most CCs have a maximum purchase protection payout of $1,000, so I'm not sure this is the right direction to go here.
Your best bet is to buy a used one you can inspect, or wait till they figure out the issues on the assembly line.

That’s for accidental damage. Some cards extend your warranty period and claim limits under this are much higher. They don’t cover wear and tear so you’d have to prove it was a manufacturer defect.

#365 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

The huge difference is, Stern will stand behind it and not charge $550 for a in warranty period replacement with a playfield with the same issue, if it is needed. I see you make off comments about Stern quite often. Are you a JJP fanboy too? Will think twice about purchasing your mods in the future.

Off comments about stern quite often? I’ve never said anything disparaging about stern or any manufacturer, I like them all. Look at my history and collection, I’ve owned a lot of stern games and have spent a lot of money buying their games...and my Jp will be here any day. The only thing I don’t like about stern games is the spike system and related to that the availability of boards down the road and ability to repair, which I think is fair and hardly an off comment. Do I think JJP builds a more full featured and better game compared to Stern...absolutely. But that doesn’t mean I think stern games are bad, hardly, they are ALL a lot of fun. I did not mean to come across as negative toward stern.

The point of posting reference to the JP pooling was just to show there is something broader going on, it’s not just JJP. Mirco does not make play fields for stern so to see this pooling on Beatles and now JP means there are some big issues with clear coating that isn’t just limited to a single manufacturer. I have stated that JJPs seeming lack of response is disappointing. $550 for an unpopulated playfield is tough to swallow, I mean how many people really can do a swap? I am not sure what Stern would do for something like this. I know they were replacing ghosted play fields on GB, but has anyone made a claim for an issue like this?

#374 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Looks like the common denominator here is Mirco. But shame on JJP for not standing behind its’ product.
I understand that sending out replacement playfields is expensive, but so is destroying the company’s reputation. I’m interested in buying Wonka or the rumored Toy Story but will be sitting on the sidelines until the soft clear issues are resolved.

I thought I saw somewhere that Mirco wasn’t a supplier to stern. Can anyone confirm this?

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

fiber washers are another good alternative. they are not that thick, but would provide a small layer of compressible protection between the playfield and the post. I would also recommend sanding the bottoms of the posts (many of them still have a small portion of the injection mold sprues attached to them
what's interesting is that bandai has completely changed the way that they injection mold their model kits so that the sprues end up on an interior edge that is completely hidden and doesn't come into play for mating parts
amazon.com link »

So here are a few pics from my game, no damage that I can see. I hand tightened the star posts I added. There was no visible damage before I put the posts on, just did it for precaution. It was one of the first games off the line I believe
MVIMG_20190826_204720 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204720 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204736 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204736 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204757 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204757 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204810 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190826_204810 (resized).jpgIMG_20190826_205025 (resized).jpgIMG_20190826_205025 (resized).jpg

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Could you please share the rubberized washer part number that you used under the large star posts in the Wonka Sling? Several of us are interested. My NIB POTC came with these from the original buyer in a "kit" from Magical Productions, but they have not responded to email requests for more information. It would be greatly appreciated. : )
Murphy Peoples

I bought them at Lowe's, home Depot has them too. Search for neoprene washers.

#1299 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Discontinued the game, realizing with this, and the mound of other problems, they could never fix all of it and stay fiscally solvent. Just on to the next. Unfortunately choosing to ignore the pf problems.
Stern has and will send populated play field replacements. They've done it before, and will do it again. Fact.

Potc was discontinued because they underestimated demand, didn’t have parts to continue for another run and had to move to wonka. It really wasn’t until they announced they were stopping production that demand for the game increased. My potc from the last run earlier this year does not have any playfield issues and the only issue I’ve had is with the camera, which was promptly replaced. It barely needed any adjustments. I think I had one opto and the upper flipper that I had to adjust.

#1469 4 years ago

I have star posts (hand tightened) with neoprene washers on my potc since March and on my wonka and neither game shows any sign of trouble.

#1512 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Look at all the table chipping photos above. Chips/pooling is at the base of the old Bally/Williams star posts, which JJP uses exclusively (Stern has used them in the past, I know). Unless someone has an example, haven’t seen that issue with Sterns newer regular thinner posts, that don’t have such a large foot print that constantly torques on the surface of the playfield, as the heavy steel ball hits the post with high velocity.
The large surface foot print contact area of the Bally/Williams star posts might also have something to do with these problems than we might suspect? Every time those slings are hit, the large star post begins slight rocking/torquing on the playfield surface. Do it enough times and you’ll break the coating of nearly any table with brittle uncured clear coat.

My JP2 has minor pooling at one of the narrow sling posts. Doesn't bother me, I covered with a rubber washer, rest of playfield doesn't show any clear issues, but it's there on this post.

IMG_20190828_211600 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_211600 (resized).jpg
#1816 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

Whatever side of the post is under tension from a rubber, that side is "more squished." Any post that is not under tension, the blistering is pretty much uniform all around the post.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

Not knowing what jjp will do for this, I’d put rubber washers under all those posts and hand tighten them down, that should prevent further damage.

#1819 4 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm not taking ANYTHING apart until I hear back from JJP on how this is getting handled.
-wonka owner #08742206, play field #105, clear coat case #5107

I wouldn’t play the game until you know what jjp will do. It’s possible it could get worse without washers underneath.

3 weeks later
#2142 4 years ago
Quoted from Marcdaddy:

I made these to cover any damage to the playfield. Peppermint candies.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great idea!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.