(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jy64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

This will not end well

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Has anyone seen Panzerfreak? He is usually in all of the JJP threads but i don't think ive seen him in this one. Is he still on Pinside?

look on page 1

#231 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm done as well until there is a clear pattern of this issue being resolved and / or a response from JJP stating the issue is fixed. I got lucky buying a later build Pirates LE that thankfully doesn't have this issue but I'm not going to roll the $7500 - $12.5k dice again.
I've supported JJP since buying a WOZ in 2013 and then purchasing their following 3 games. I would like to buy a Wonka but the last thing any customer of a NIB pin should have to worry about are playfield issues.

Buy well used games the question of chipping or not will be answered and you will save money

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And is that some insert ghosting as well on that GotG?

Your comment made me go back and relook at the pic's just what insert do you think is ghosting?

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yep, it’s quite common in Sterns but never seen it result in chipping. Sterns clear is never quite as thick as JJP. I was told after the GB pf debacle that Stern we’re going back to thinner clear coats, and my early run Aerosmith has that. Thinner clear, no of issues at all including zero dimples.
Seems the clear has been getting thicker again recently. My IMDNLE has very thick glossy clear.

Quoted from snaroff:

I never heard that. We all know this isn't "rocket science". For years, PF's didn't exhibit these problem after so little use. My 15 years old LOTR has over 10k plays and the PF looks gorgeous. Same with my TRON...still looks awesome after 6 years. SOMEONE knows what has changed. If not, hire folks like Chris Hutchins and Ron Kruzman to advise you! (when you get a PF from them it doesn't suck
It's not just clearcoat issues...it's sloppy wood preparation. Check out the wood grain on my IMDN Premium. Distributors say it's the "new normal"...just the luck of the draw. Considered purchasing a BM66LE recently from a buddy and his PF had awful wood grain issues as well. Ended up purchasing a BM66 Premium from another local collector because the PF didn't have the wood grain issue.
Hard not to be cynical...probably all comes down to time & money. Would be very interesting to know the profit margin on PF's...[quoted image]

With thick or thin it seems someone will be bitching wood grain or chipping what do you prefer

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pooling often leads to chipping

You expect a new populated playfield for maybe LOL

#379 4 years ago
Quoted from Tonic67:

Well, after seeing and following this post, I decided to check two of my games from top to bottom.
JJP - DICE
Stern - IMDN Premium
Both are awesome and bolted to the floor..lol
DICE playfield is perfect. No bubbling or chipping.
IMDN has two minor spots of bubbling and an interesting hole by the upper left flipper. See photos.
I'm not concerned with this at this point and hadn't noticed before now. I love the game.
I like both companies but give the edge to JJP for their innovation.
I would have no issue buying from either of them but do hope they get what appears to be a growing issue corrected.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Don't enlarge your photo to the point you can't see the forest through the trees

#614 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I always thought the mfg cleared 1000-1500 per game and the distro 2-300.
$1500 to the distro seems really high

A yr or so back a distro talked price on a pod-cast Stern was making $1100 per game distro $1000 this was pro model

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I always heard JJP had less distributor profit than Stern. Also, Wonka playfields were probably already in production when the POTC issues came to light.

JJP sells direct so that their direct sales have higher margins than Stern

#661 4 years ago
Quoted from Adipocere:

My distributor said that he makes a little over $200 on the Wonka SEs. When JJP lowered prices on the entry editions, the difference was taken almost completely out of the distro’s profit margin. I’m not sure if they made up for it on the LEs though. I would suspect that way more Wonka SEs are selling compared to previous JJP titles, including to new buyers like myself who could not justify the higher prices in the past.
JJP is apparently strict on a lot, including shipping fees for distros. This is why you rarely if ever see the free shipping deals you see on Sterns. Way less profit margin.
I can not confirm any of this, but I didn’t get the impression he was lying (or had any reason to). I also didn’t get into or particularly care to ask how much they make on Sterns.

Do you really think he would tell you hay buddy I mark up my games by $1500 per unit

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

Is there though? Has anybody counted? Let’s start on page one and do an honest count of the known machines with problems. The low number might surprise you.....Don’t get me wrong, I completely empathize with those that have issues. I myself am waiting to hear from the manufacturers before I go through with my purchase... But I just suggest before throwing the baby out with the bath water has anyone actually counted?

With only 406 registered JJP POTC Pinside owners even 40 chipping playfields is one in ten

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Someone did this a couple months ago, it was over 100 pinsiders having issues with POTC. Remember, pinside is a small percentage of the overall pinball community, some say 30%. So extrapolate that number and you will see it’s a fair amount of games considering they only made 1000.

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from Sponge:

I’m out on purchasing my Wonka LE unless I hear that JJP is going to warranty their playfields. It’s a shame too, because is was going to be my first NIB machine. It’s a theme my wife and I both love and we even sought out a location game to test drive the machine.
It really comes down to this:
I’m not going to spend 10k on something where there is clear evidence that the manufacturer isn’t going to do right by its customers. Period.
The fact that they are not making things right tells me that the problem is systemic. Why would someone risk their reputation and even a single multi-thousand dollar sale over a hand full of bad parts? They probably know there is a serious problem and realize the potential end of their company if they have to replace hundreds of playfieds under warranty.
This seems like a growing pain. I hope they are able to address it and move forward.

No problem buy a HUO game a few years down the road save money and get an issue free game

#863 4 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

Checked out this thread as I’m in on a CE - clearly I’m a fkn moron.
Besides this thread being educational on that point...the bonus point is this thread is freakin hilarious. Conspiracy theories, sexual harassment and even the holocaust. LMFAO.

If you have a local distributor see if you can buy a floor model so that you may check out the playfield and possibly get a few bucks off the price of the game

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, it doesn't look like a hole, it looks like a divot. Is that really where they put the flipper alignment hole and made it a divot?

A flipper alignment hole would not have that post there that said I have no idea what that hole is

#1232 4 years ago

Between price and quality control JJP is on borrowed time

#1607 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

FYI GUYS... Jack did a podcast YESTERDAY and he talked about this issue. Go here and take a listen:
www.podcastgarden.com
So go here and take a list and see if this answers anyone's questions.

LOL With all the podcast out there saying he was on one tells people little

#1741 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Exactly. What’s Jack supposed to do? Cancel his vacation? Admit total wrongdoing? Have 20 people actually complained or provided evidence yet? Do we know?
It looks like a problem. How big we don’t know. Expecting a company to admit guilt and start writing checks is absurd.

It would be best to say nothing till one has some answers telling people they can't touch their games helps no one it is just an out for JJP to blame the amateur workmanship for the issue

1 week later
#2132 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Forgot about BKSOR LE's ... I think the party is over for these high prices, and lower quality....these play field issues are possibly the straw that breaks the camels back.....people can't be happy taking a $1-$2K hit on these LE's ....

In my eyes the people who expected to keep making $1000 to $2000 profit were the issue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 25.50
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

12,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jy64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.