(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Stern’s being mentioned here is by JJP fanboys, to lessen the severity of the JJP chipping issues. Maybe long ago Stern had a few issues, but as f3honda4me said, no issues on current or recent.

Beatles was less than a year ago. Try again.

#224 4 years ago

Someone should take a heat gun to the area of the playfield under the apron on one of these soft games. I am curious if an additional heat cure would harden the soft clear coat.

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I have an idea. Why don't they just pay HEP a pile of money to fly to their location, audit their process and provide a resolution?
Sorry for those of you having issues.

Mirco would have to admit there is a problem, which opens a giant can of heartburn. Nobody has gotten him to even admit he has an issue yet. Given how he has treated others in this business, I hope Mirco is finally held accountable this time.

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

My distro even told me he can’t get involved and his hands are tied on this one.

This is a bullshit excuse from your distributor right here. Distributors are in place literally to be the representative of the manufacturer. This is why they get to earn a profit on the sale, and how they are supposed to add value to their stop in the supply chain. The manufacturers put them in place to be a firewall for any issues that arise, and they earn profit on the sale as a part of doing this. Any distributor that isn't willing to do their job for you should be out of business. I hope you can find a better person to spend your money with next time.

#510 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Not sure what you expect the Distro to do, other than buy you a free Playfield from his profit on the sale?

The distributor needs to go to JJP and stand up for their customer. If they are too chicken to do that, what do we even need distributors for? Most of them drop ship from the factory anyway. Making hundreds of dollars off a pinball machine sale while not ever even being in possession of the machine as well as offering no help on warranty claims is nothing more than being a leech and a pimp in the supply chain. Manufacturers might as well kill the distributor model and go to direct sales.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They did try to speed production of everything up with the hopes of getting two games out per year.
Could this be an underlying cause for all of this?

I doubt it. I think the issue is that water borne clear is not a good answer for spraying on wood, and spraying it on thick is an even bigger problem. Heat and summer humidity are also probably causing the clear to not ever fully cure. Does a waterborne clear suck humidity back in during these hot summer months? You aren't far away from me, and you know how soupy it can get between here and the JJP factory. Is the JJP facility climate controlled? Are playfields being stored in a high heat/humidity situation over at the factory? I have a friend who is an automotive paint rep...I am going to get in contact with him and see what his thoughts are on the matter. I've sprayed heavy layers of solvent based Dupont Chroma on my playfield projects, and have installed posts 24 hours later with ZERO pooling whatsoever.

#534 4 years ago

I always heard JJP had less distributor profit than Stern. Also, Wonka playfields were probably already in production when the POTC issues came to light.

#577 4 years ago

My Guardians of the Galaxy has no pooling or chipping. 13,625 plays, Born November 21, 2017.

20190822_183444 (resized).jpg20190822_183444 (resized).jpg20190822_183458 (resized).jpg20190822_183458 (resized).jpg
#585 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Maybe, but that looks like a crack to me? Are all GOTG like that?[quoted image]

Good eye! It appears to be a very fine scratch of some sort full of black rubber gunk from the black rubbers, or coil dust. The machine was filthy from coil dust under the plastics when I got it. I believe it was in Sunshine for a year, then I bought it. It cleaned up nice at the end of the day. I'm impressed with Stern quality on this one.

#587 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

That’s it! Buy a nib game, leave it out and in the sun to cure. Well, let’s call the boys and wrap this up. We’re done here...[quoted image]

Dammit, I can't not laugh at that

#608 4 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

THIS IS SOME CRAZY STUFF HERE - I am doing my homework - I am still shocked by all of this,
I am just sayin - Pay with a credit card - Especially Capital One cards - You have rights and protection and you will win if you dont get a proper solution. I know that is not the fix - But in future you want to make sure that you have some rights even if its 6 or 8 months down the road. I even think you have up to 18 months on Capital One.
Anyway - I am really sorry about all of this and it is something that I am keeping an close eye on.
Now its only 2:30 AM - So I don't want to bother Joe on this as of yet - But I will be asking him some questions, But I do want to say that Joe and JJP have always been fair to me and helped me out and have been quick on my questions. I hope this all gets fixed in the future and those having issues need to be taken care of no matter what the cost is - If they (JJP) they are losing more in the end. Maybe Save now but you will lose the battle later as you see a drop in the sales

Try to get him at work...he will probably "drop your call" in one of the 27 imaginary tunnels on his way to work....like he did to HarryHoudini.

#1005 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

The service is even underground.
I asked the JJP Google groups if there was a solution to the problem, they had a very quick fix for me.
Within 1 minute I was deleted from the group.
I've had all 4 JJP pinball machines so far, so I'm out now.

JJP is digging their own grave. Actions like this make me hope pinsiders band together and take legal action against them.

#1017 4 years ago

A pretty high percentage of JP's are showing up with chips early on. If it's such a small issue, why is JJP banning people for asking about the problem? That's about as shitty of customer service as you can get.

#1083 4 years ago

Perhaps JJP wouldn't be in this predicament if they did a more rigorous job on testing and quality control before pushing games out of the building? I would be embarrassed to be representing JJP with the numerous issues that early and mid-run POTC's had when they left the building. Most of those issues would have been caught at the factory if they at least did some comprehensive testing by hand before the glass went on. Instead, the finished product quality was that which would resemble an assembly staff doing a Chinese fire drill every day.

#1257 4 years ago

Nothing but respect to Spooky...I wasn't much of a Spooky fan before, but playing ACNC this year and seeing how hard Spooky works to do the right thing earns them a ton of respect from me.

#1831 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

For me, most every slingshot pic I've seen as the wrinkling TOWARDS the area the rubber is pulling the post. Which makes sense, as the sling coil puts pressure on the post in that direction as well. I'm not so certain this is "ball impact", but simply tension over and over as a ball hits the slingshot.

The sling rubber itself puts constant tension on the post. I'm sure the ball being flipped into the post and the sling coil hitting the rubber all play a role in why the post is canting a bit to the inside. Again, not an issue if the clear is actually set up rock hard as it should be.

#1837 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Not if a proper (forstner) bit is used, it will cleanly cut through even soft clear, then seal the edge with CA glue.. The problem is that a forstner bit requires a very small guide hole, the holes in the playfields under the posts are too large of a diameter. The bit would wobble and wander, the results would be ugly.
This could be done at the factory, but not for the end user.

Or they could just use a quality clear coat.

#1855 4 years ago

No Manufacturer is going to send out New Fully Populated Playfields in exchange for used ones.

Stern has shipped new populated playfields to numerous customers in the past. JJP hangs their hat on doing things the best and being better than the competition. Their course of action should not even be a question right now.

#1862 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If this "course of action" - sending out hundreds of populated playfields for swap - would cause JJP to no longer be in the pinball business, would you still want them to "hang their hat" on it?
That might be what it comes down to.

You very well may be right Levi. But if it means shipping $12,500 hunk of crap that starts shedding clear like a molting lizard in a week...maybe they are doing more harm than good to the industry?

#1866 4 years ago

Do you even read posts on this Forum, I said Manufacturers didn't even mention Stern

Is Stern not a manufacturer? Or are they a "lifestyle creator brand" now?

1 week later
#2126 4 years ago

I'd almost be afraid to store anything on top of them long term. How many times have you taken something out of a drawer years later, only to find out it has laminated itself to whatever else it was touching. I would think with the current issues of soft or even partially soft clear, the chances of this happening are going to greatly increase.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 32.99
15,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 91.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

9,600 (OBO)
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jodyg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wonka-le-sling-post-chipping-?tu=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.