(Topic ID: 249691)

Wonka LE Sling Post Chipping in one month!!

By rs812

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,217 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by Pinhead1982
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 217 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190915_104054 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104033 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_104014 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190915_103920 (resized).jpg
c9446e8d64675ee8b459160cc40d3ae7 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190928-160816_Amazon Shopping (resized).jpg
20190912_153820 (resized).jpg
20190912_153804 (resized).jpg
20190912_153118 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190914-220637_Chrome (resized).jpg
starpost (resized).jpg
20190911_113947 (resized).jpg
outlane.jpg
20190717_151953 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #1403 Response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 months ago)

Post #1407 Transcribed response from JJP from the Pinball Magazine podcast Posted by RobertWinter (4 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gumnut01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#940 5 months ago
Quoted from pin2d:

Yeah, Zach's comments are being blown out of proportion. On the podcast, Zach, and Ian and Drew from the Poor Man's Pinball Podcast discussed the clear coat issues for about 30 minutes (mainly Ian as he was an expert on it). At the end, they were discussing issues they've had with previous NIB games and were making a point about how some things bother some people more than others. Zach said he might be biased (as a distributor) but he thinks people should still buy machines, but that if you're worried about the clear coat issues to at least go play the new games on location. Maybe his examples didn't come across right but listen to it yourself, it wasn't him saying "people were crazy for letting this bother them".
Also as Greg said, Zach has paid out of his own pocket to help customers out. He has fun on the podcast and jokes a lot, but he takes care of his Flip N Out customers and takes this stuff seriously.

It’s insulting. Thank God my distributor did not talk like that about my issues.

I spent 2 months trying to solve all the problems with my machine’s playfield issues.

It is not an easy fix. Raising a sling with washers stuffs up the sling. It hits harder and causes airballs. Changing from thin posts to double star posts causes the same issue, the sling is now hitting harder. Only solution to dremmel the groove of the double posts so that the sling sits in the same position relative to the hammer.

Want to know another problem with changing posts? The inlanes are now tighter slowing down game play. So again dremmel grooves is needed.

Then you find empty holes for moving miniposts are developing finger sized waves around them. I had to cut bits of metal like home made cliffys and put rubber underneath.

Oh but wait every other post is rippling and chipping. Strip game down and put rubber under every post, especially mini posts.

My distributor actually said to the manufacturer it was not acceptable. Thank god I have a good distributor who looked after me and did not make fun of my trials.

Shame on you Zach for saying this crap. And shame on you Greg for backing him up. It is a shit storm and it needs to be fixed.

Edit: I really like you guys, but if you make fun of this issue, you are telling the manufacturers that it’s not that big a deal. I’m sure you both feel obsessive over some of your prized possessions.

#951 5 months ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I think it’s a huge deal. And I’m completely obsessive with my pins. I don’t want it on my games and it most certainly bothers me. Again Zach even stated it was a problem and it needed to be fixed. My post was that it was his personal opinion. That in no way effects what he knows is right for his customers. Do you honestly think that Zach is sitting by doing nothing? People can flame Zach all day over that opinion and it’s an opinion that, again I don’t agree with but to insinuate that the guy is a bad distributor and he’s not going to do everything within his limits to resolve the problem ludicrous
I’m not defending his comments. I’m defending the guy as a great distributor

You’re right I don’t know what he is like as a distro.

As a YouTuber he can say whatever he wants. As a pinsider he can as well. But as a distributor who looks after customers he can’t make light of people’s playfield issues.

I can understand Zach is feeling torn. It’s a fine line because he can’t say “don’t buy anymore machines people!”

As a customer who has been affected by this issue, it has been a frustrating experience. I have actually bought 2 machines this year. The 2nd I bought because I believed it would not be plagued by this issue. I was lucky with the 2nd. If it had been reported that it did have these issues, I would not have bought it. Far too much money to spend on something that is not going to look perfect when new and may get worse in a year. I have had to correct it on my own without any help but from the good people on pinside. If it had just been a rubber washer under a couple of slings I would not be posting now. At least you are all aware. We had no idea what we were getting into.

As a distributor this sort of talk must scare the shit out of Zach. Hopefully a solution can be found real quick.

Anyway wish you guys all the best. Thanks for replying Greg. Hope you enjoy your JP2!

#956 5 months ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Has anybody moved a post after the “washer fix”? Won’t there just be a washer sized ring instead of a post sized ring? Even if it prevents the ripplechip(tm) somehow, this is not a solution for adjustable posts.

Yes. For my thin posts that had rippled, the larger starpost with a same size rubber washer pushed the whole area down. I do not have new clear pooling around the new washer. I cannot vouch for other people’s playfields.

I also had the problem start on most posts outside of the slings. Even those that already had metal washers on them.

#993 5 months ago
Quoted from tpir:

It sounds like you talked to a very low-ranking employee who told you what you wanted to hear, and you are calling it a success and now think you have influence in this matter all the way up to "upper management." That is kind of adorable, but you sound a little delusional, or maybe you are just a big fan of wishful thinking
JJP (or Stern) could put out a Tweet or FB post in under 30 seconds saying "we are looking into reports of issues and will have an announcement soon." The explanation you gave makes zero sense re: distributors and delays. JJP (and Stern) have known about this issue for a long time now and just need to say something, anything really.

I don’t know why you are having a go a Richie. At least he is making a stand over this issue and he is actually contacting JJP to address his concerns and gone public on podcasts. Rather than just sitting back and making snide comments on pinside.

What have you done to try and fight this issue?

#1140 5 months ago
Quoted from dts:

Just spoke with technical support at JJP and Mirco is testing out different clear coats on Wonka. They are making 12 more CE playfields for JJPOTC as well, as they apparently ran out, although I'm not sure what that means as I was under the impression they were all sold. I'm guessing spare playfields.

So what happens to the people who already bought a replacement?

#1171 4 months ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Oh my goodness. They are only doing that because you guys made it out to be a big deal. Not unlike how a toddler freaks out over a popped balloon, or a dropped ice cream cone, and then the parent buys them another one. Stern is simply soothing you guys.

Yeah the cost of a pinball machine is the same as a balloon or ice cream cone. Artwork that is coming away from the playfield is a big deal to many of us. If us guys stop buying these pinball machines it is a big deal to the manufacturers as well. If you don't think so, drain the thread. We won't miss you.

And buy yourself a balloon. Happy days.

#1467 4 months ago

Star post with rubber underneath is all that’s needed.

#1780 4 months ago

I posted this in the POTC chipping thread:

In an ideal world, these chipping threads would be full of:
1) pinsiders reporting their chipped playfields with pictures
2) pinsiders reporting that they have raised it with the manufacturer and their distributor
3) pinsiders commenting out how they feel about the situation (once!), and how it will affect them.
4) pinsiders reporting on how their reported chipping issues were dealt with by the manufacturer.
5) news from the manufacturers and distributors on the situation
6) suggestions for fixing
The rest of the vitriol is getting really depressing. The nasty stuff that actually gets posted in these threads actually takes the focus away from the real issue here. Why should the manufacturers work towards fixing it if we’re just a bunch of jerks? They will never take us seriously when they see the content in these threads. Some of us are actually doing the original cause of disservice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 27.50
$ 53.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 12,500.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gumnut01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside